Pages:
Author

Topic: What are some not so obvious things that damage a country's economy? - page 4. (Read 6505 times)

Activity: 910
Merit: 100
From OP's example,if people get less healthier and getting sick from time to time then it will make the economy more stronger only because people have to take medicine too often if they fall sick too often and many countries still have high tax rate for the medical products as well so governments will make more money but the people will be still in poor.
They will be ill and use medical services, but at the same time, many of them will not be able to work and will be treated at home. Same thing with alcohol. Addicted people buy it constantly, but because of this bad habit they lose their jobs. Hence the harm to the economy.
Activity: 1093
Merit: 103
If a person brings harm to himself, then this is his personal business, if only his actions would not harm others.  In turn, I would single out very dangerous phenomena for any state and its economy, and first of all it is corruption of officials and unprofessionalism of the government.  This is the most important reason for the poor state of the economy and the lack of social benefits for citizens, even the working class, of any country.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
In other words, this cleanness is definitely at someone else's expense, whether we like or not. And while we are at it, Europe is the most suicidal region in the whole world (with Scandinavian countries closer to the top of the list). So much for "happiness" (perhaps, they feel guilty, or something)

Suicidal goes by how dangerous life is. In countries where is war or lot of criminal and poverty no one will suicide. Because they see dying and what comes with that all the time. In countries with high living standards there is tones of suicides, because people simply dont cherish the life.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Things that damage the economy indirectly.

For example I feel that fast food and an unhealthy lifestyle leads chronic health problems that probably affects the economy not just monetarily.

Of course we can't just deny these people care, just promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are other things that we can change that will affect the economy in a positive way?

The weather or pollution. Clean countries seems happier, like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway etc. Clean countries happen also to be richer. So this goes hand in hand

And do you happen to know why?

Because they have either moved most of their industrial complex to countries which are poor or been able to shut it down completely by exporting things from those poor countries. Note, I don't make a value judgment here as this is how things stand in a world like ours

In other words, this cleanness is definitely at someone else's expense, whether we like or not. And while we are at it, Europe is the most suicidal region in the whole world (with Scandinavian countries closer to the top of the list). So much for "happiness" (perhaps, they feel guilty, or something)
Activity: 54
Merit: 11

For example I feel that fast food and an unhealthy lifestyle leads chronic health problems that probably affects the economy not just monetarily.

Of course we can't just deny these people care, just promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are other things that we can change that will affect the economy in a positive way?

The weather or pollution. Clean countries seems happier, like Switzerland, Sweden, Norway etc. Clean countries happen also to be richer. So this goes hand in hand.
Ucy
Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

I totally agree that not eating right can indirectly contribute to economic problems. Other things people hardly take notice of is negativity especially negative news. Avoid negative news as much as you can. Put your mind on positive things that matter.
 You could check the news headlines once in a while but don't dwell on the contents. If you must read news, read those that do not cause you to hate things you do not understand.  Read news that have balanced reportage... not those pretending to be balanced. Hate and Bitterness blind people from truth. When you're told somebody is evil by media, hear from that person before jumping into conclusion. Do thorough investigation. Your investigations will always surprise you. When most people on earth begin to investigate news before believing, we will probably experience some peace in this world.

If you can handle negative news that's fine.
Activity: 938
Merit: 250
Social media and other addictive Internet sites - people are constantly glued to them, even on their work, which decreases their productivity. Social media also cause depression in many people, because they not only procrastinate, but also constantly compare their life to others, which leads to dissatisfaction. Also social media are good at spreading lies and fakes, which can have negative effects on the economy - anti-vax panic, anti-GMO, political manipulation and so on.

I agree with you that social media and the internet currently take up a lot of people's time. addicted to social media can reduce work productivity. makes people lazy to work. and the internet is the largest source of pronunciation. pronogafi can damage the brain of children and adolescents. if the next generation is damaged, the future of this country will be threatened. and also social media is often used to spread hoaxes and means of fraud. of course this will have an impact on the country's economy.
Activity: 2366
Merit: 793
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
From OP's example,if people get less healthier and getting sick from time to time then it will make the economy more stronger only because people have to take medicine too often if they fall sick too often and many countries still have high tax rate for the medical products as well so governments will make more money but the people will be still in poor.
Activity: 2100
Merit: 618

Talking about the economy as whole and seeing this thread in economics section I would say something related to Economics. So basically we all know all our lives we have been listening save save save. While saving is good at individual level it is drastic for economy as a whole. The amount savings which goes to your piggybank instead of bank is the money permanently blocked from the economy. This is out of circulation until you spend or invest it. This makes the aggregate supply in the economy weak there by leading to inflation over time. Even investment in jewelry is considered such leakage from supply. So it's not quite obvious thing affecting economy as a whole.
Activity: 845
Merit: 52
In my regional part of my country, youth don't like to learn a skill but will want to live a good life by partying and trying to be a musician, sometimes taking to social vices that harm them and their immediate neighbor. This make them economically disadvantage and become a nuisance to the society, thereby causing some economic damage. Some of them just gamble away their lives.
Activity: 532
Merit: 284
Social media and other addictive Internet sites - people are constantly glued to them, even on their work, which decreases their productivity. Social media also cause depression in many people, because they not only procrastinate, but also constantly compare their life to others, which leads to dissatisfaction. Also social media are good at spreading lies and fakes, which can have negative effects on the economy - anti-vax panic, anti-GMO, political manipulation and so on.

I totally agree with everything you've said. But on the contrary, I would rather say do not detach them from social media and other addictive sites and utilize it or convert the norms of these platforms to a more productive environment. Social media for one is a powerful thing, but most people are misled by its true use. As you said, it causes a lot of problems, the majority of its users derailed others from reality. But if somehow we can turn this around and make this platform be useful for the country's economic development or even individual's productivity, we wouldn't be having the impression like this. The users are the problem, not the social media per se.
Activity: 938
Merit: 501
The over use of indulgence in social media, internet, and corruption is what damages most countries. The latter (corruption) can be said about most countries in Africa where sitting presidents steal monies from the public purse of the country. Social media and the use of the internet is also being abused off late. People spent productive hours on social media and this affects the production of any company in which these individuals found themselves in.
Activity: 742
Merit: 329
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Uncontrolled rise in population can be the most harmful factor in a country's economy. My country is having a population of 1,350 million and another 20 to 25 million people are added every year. The population density has crossed 1,000 people per sq km in many of the states and a large part of the population lives in the urban slums. Unless this issue is resolved, there can never be permanent economic growth here.
Rapid growth in population can really become a not so obvious but most damaging on a country's economy. Having a lot of population in a country but if the majority is not productive then it will just suck up all the potential of a country. Each and every country should implement a mandatory family plan so they can prevent over population.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 372
It all depends on the type of country. If we take the dictatorship, then it will bring harm to smart educated people who can change something, if a democratic society, on the contrary,
ignorance and ignorance will make people stupid and easily amenable to other people's influence, which can harm the country's economy.

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453
Uncontrolled rise in population can be the most harmful factor in a country's economy. My country is having a population of 1,350 million and another 20 to 25 million people are added every year. The population density has crossed 1,000 people per sq km in many of the states and a large part of the population lives in the urban slums. Unless this issue is resolved, there can never be permanent economic growth here.
Activity: 2884
Merit: 659

Pollution is what comes to my mind regarding indirect damage to the economy. If pollution is severe, the government would have to waste TIME and MONEY in order to address such problem, which the funds could have been used for some other lawful purpose.
Another damage would be traffic. According to CNN, traffic in the Philippines has caused more than P3.5 billion loss per day ($67 million)1. That data alone can sufficiently damage the economy of the country, considering that most third-world countries suffer from this problem.

In order to address these issues, almost all stems from the discipline of each individual. If people show their love and respect to the country, I doubt that they would do the slightest damage (such as throwing candy wrappers on the streets, etc.) that would eventually pile-up.

1 https://cnnphilippines.com/transportation/2018/02/23/JICA-P3.5-billion-traffic.html

To add up about the pollution thing PH starts to ban out use of plastic https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/07/04/days-of-single-use-plastic-to-end-with-approval-of-pangilinans-senate-bill-40/ and as you said when pollution is sever it do really give some headaches and expense on how to clean or resolve it up. Money or allocated budget is the primary thing to be affected.This might not give out too much concern or focus but it is silently affecting ones economy.

Activity: 1274
Merit: 261
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
   What damage the economy of any country is corruption, nothing else. We all pay taxes, taxes should be used for improving
government services. On what you are spending money it`s not so important, as long as you are spending. It`s economy,
money needs to flow. Corruption slows economy cause in that case money stops flowing at some point and end up in pockets
of just few people, instead to serve to all.
   All not so obvious things that damage economy are connected with corruption in some way, economy is arranged but some
don`t follow the rules, they just want to get rich and that is the most destructive thing that damages everything around.
Activity: 2212
Merit: 786

Pollution is what comes to my mind regarding indirect damage to the economy. If pollution is severe, the government would have to waste TIME and MONEY in order to address such problem, which the funds could have been used for some other lawful purpose.
Another damage would be traffic. According to CNN, traffic in the Philippines has caused more than P3.5 billion loss per day ($67 million)1. That data alone can sufficiently damage the economy of the country, considering that most third-world countries suffer from this problem.

In order to address these issues, almost all stems from the discipline of each individual. If people show their love and respect to the country, I doubt that they would do the slightest damage (such as throwing candy wrappers on the streets, etc.) that would eventually pile-up.

1 https://cnnphilippines.com/transportation/2018/02/23/JICA-P3.5-billion-traffic.html
Activity: 445
Merit: 10
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

I think it is human consciousness of the environment and a sense of behavior.
Environmental awareness is very important, if people are highly aware of this, they will avoid using plastic and other non-biodegradable stars for thousands of years. It will save a lot of government spending. Besides, it will also reduce deforestation to make wooden statues and our world will gradually go up and also economic.
Activity: 700
Merit: 251
It's kinda hard to find things that impact economy indirectly in a positive way lol. I can list many things that affect in negative way, but for the positive one i can only think of the awareness of how important investment or saving is. Many people still don't realize this. They never save or invest their income, and just let them gone worthlessly. Although actually, if they invest or save, it'll be great for their future as well, and of course, it will surely help our economic growth and development, there will be more business and jobs, and it may attract foreign investor as well. But still it can be a backlash if people tend to save or invest a lot, and refrain them from consuming or buying things. It might be a bad effect for the economy if people just save/invest and not spending their money. The economy circle may be dead.
Pages:
Jump to: