Pages:
Author

Topic: What are some not so obvious things that damage a country's economy? - page 6. (Read 6505 times)

Activity: 120
Merit: 10
Here for enriching conversations
Things that damage the economy indirectly.

For example I feel that fast food and an unhealthy lifestyle leads chronic health problems that probably affects the economy not just monetarily.

Of course we can't just deny these people care, just promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are other things that we can change that will affect the economy in a positive way?

“A nation is born stoic, and dies epicurean” – Will Durant
I thought of this quote then I saw this thread, A stoic believes in going through hardships without complaints. An epicurean believed that pleasure is the greater good. In this case, stuffing on unhealthy foods because they are an easier option and shunning exercise and healthy foods because these are hard and less glamourous. So the quote implies that a nation is born of people willing to endure hardship, but fails as it's population places personal pleasure above everything else.

Besides health options, here are other obvious things that I also think that they may damage a country's economy
1. Corruption and greed
2. War - because it's costly and time-consuming
3. Intolerance - segregation of people according to race, religion, politics etc.
4. Unreasonable government policies that stifle investment and innovation
5. Lack of unity, national vision and social cohesion.
Activity: 784
Merit: 250
Social media and other addictive Internet sites
Good answer! I also despise social media like Instagram that encourage bragging about social status, e.g., photos of food at restaurants, luxury cars, vacations, etc. It severely affects inexperienced people, who think that it is the truth (and that's how we should live our life). What most people don't understand is that the "true" rich people seldom brag about their wealth in social media.

Social media waste our time and encourage unnecessary consumption.

Agree! Social media becomes now the basis of happiness. They are comparing their life to others that makes them uncontented on what they have. People are being obsessed with what they see in social media that they cannot see that there is no such a perfect life. It is just about being contented on what you have and be happy about it.
Activity: 2912
Merit: 642
Social media and other addictive Internet sites - people are constantly glued to them, even on their work, which decreases their productivity. Social media also cause depression in many people, because they not only procrastinate, but also constantly compare their life to others, which leads to dissatisfaction. Also social media are good at spreading lies and fakes, which can have negative effects on the economy - anti-vax panic, anti-GMO, political manipulation and so on.

First time I came to this thread and thankfully I read a lot of positive ways on how we can help even in just small ways for our economy to grow.

Thank you hatsheput for making me remember that.
Social media. When you look at it, most that are using it are kids. Why? Their Mom and Dad will give them a smartphone in their younger years just by accomplishing a little thing.
Some parents would do this to escape from giving disciplines for their kids. They will stay silent just using their smartphones the whole day.

Not a good view. I still prefer kids playing in dirt, rain or mud. Let them grow with a healthy body.
Yes, that could change the economy once they grew.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1632
A country where the checks & balances system is not in effect, so a small group of people currently holding power can become dictatorial by
installing their own nepotist lackeys to the strategic branches of the state to effectively enact a totalitarian takeover of the nation.

The most recent example is Turkei, where a medieval-minded fundamentalist group, with the help foreign intelligence agencies,
led the country to cultural and economic bankruptcy by ruining ALL of the meritocratic institutions of the state (namely, most officers of the the Army, Navy, Air Force, Judiciary, Foreign Service and all the ministries are now incompetent yes men slave to the grossly backwards regime of Erdogan...)
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
You just named a thing that mostly responsible for health problems in the modern world, and I bet it is not so obvious for many people that it damages any country's economy. Lack of physical activity wasn't such a problem a century ago, but in today's world it's a major one

And what should we do with that?

And should we actually do anything? I agree with the assumption that the lack of physical activity is likely a major contributing factor to poor health later in life as I see my classmates getting weight and bellies because they don't walk but mostly prefer to drive. You can't force them to take care of their health until it is too late and the damage is done. But we can look at it as a kind of natural selection, so if you stay slim and fit (or slim fit), you may get a competitive advantage later on in life

Economically speaking, we would hardly gain from a situation when hundreds of millions of people around the world found themselves in a bad health condition. Besides, natural selection doesn't work the way you described. Our genus, Homo, evolved from ape due to natural selection, but it took millions of years. Today, if other people die because of poor health during our lifetime, it's not natural selection, it's just death, and it's not advantageous for any human on Earth

Well, I can't say I'm fluent on how natural selection in particular and evolution in general work

And yes, I generally agree that from an economic point of view being healthy and motivated is better than ill and depressed. That goes without saying. However, death itself is actually an indispensable tool that evolution created as a way of getting rid of those who aren't of any use to it anymore (thereby freeing resources for those who are)

Note that I don't say whether it is right or wrong as the idea of righteousness simply doesn't belong here (only fitness and procreation reign supreme). Further, that was not actually my point. I meant you could look at it in a more personalized sort of natural selection. If your buddies don't care about their health, look at it as your advantage if you do
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
You just named a thing that mostly responsible for health problems in the modern world, and I bet it is not so obvious for many people that it damages any country's economy. Lack of physical activity wasn't such a problem a century ago, but in today's world it's a major one

And should we actually do anything? I agree with the assumption that the lack of physical activity is likely a major contributing factor to poor health later in life as I see my classmates getting weight and bellies because they don't walk but mostly prefer to drive. You can't force them to take care of their health until it is too late and the damage is done. But we can look at it as a kind of natural selection, so if you stay slim and fit (or slim fit), you may get a competitive advantage later on in life

Economically speaking, we would hardly gain from a situation when hundreds of millions of people around the world found themselves in a bad health condition. Besides, natural selection doesn't work the way you described. Our genus, Homo, evolved from ape due to natural selection, but it took millions of years. Today, if other people die because of poor health during our lifetime, it's not natural selection, it's just death, and it's not advantageous for any human on Earth.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 186
If you're thinking about indirect losses then the best answer to your questions are disasters.
Some people aren't talking about it too much but the government spends all of the money just to fix the result of the disaster. Those disasters are happening due to irresponsible people on this earth. Multiple declines in revenue and the goods and services are the result of indirect losses.
So true especially that we are one of those few countries within the Circum Pacific Ring of Fire. Now, you just made me  remember the latest calamity our fellow Filipinos from Batanes are facing recently. Consecutive earthquakes shocks which 5.9 magnitude as the strongest caused many injured, few dead and damaged to property that reach up to P50M (around $1M). That's a huge loss not only to economy and lives but also historically saying because old heritage sites there was also damaged Sad

Anyway, the less obvious things that deteriorate our country which I think is substandard infrastructure projects by the government and also corrupt officials (they remain secret unless they're exposed Grin).
Activity: 602
Merit: 11
a healthy lifestyle is actually cheap. but nowadays humans are being chased by time, where their daily activities are full, so they are forced to consume fast food for the effectiveness of time. without realizing it is not good for health. in a country's economic development health and education are the basic needs for that

Activity: 966
Merit: 104
First of all, you need a really professional government that will not abuse its capabilities and will correctly lead a country in which people are not labor and slaves, but a real engine of economy and progress.  Citizens of the state are not only working hands, but also smart heads, thanks to which the state exists.  It seems to me that in the first place, unprofessional governments harm the state and the economy.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1007
Degen in the Space
If you're thinking about indirect losses then the best answer to your questions are disasters.
Some people aren't talking about it too much but the government spends all of the money just to fix the result of the disaster. Those disasters are happening due to irresponsible people on this earth. Multiple declines in revenue and the goods and services are the result of indirect losses.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

legendary
I stand with Ukraine.
Fast food, to some extent, improves the economy of some less developed countries. 
Yes, it spoils health and efficiency, but on average, the state needs a person to work until a certain period, up to about 50-60 years, which eating fast food fully implies.

There are different kinds of fast food. For example, street food is also called fast food, but in many countries street food is nutritious and healthy meal that doesn't harm your health. However, if by "fast food" you mean McDonald's-like kind of food, I disagree with you. What is bad for people's health is also bad for the country's economy in the long run.
I agree that places where people can eat quickly quickly raise the economy.  It touches not only McDonald’s.  People want to pass the time on routine things because they find such cafes so as not to waste time.  But I think that this is not the only way.  I think that now it’s important to order one home on the Internet and not just food, it can be clothes or household appliances or something else.  People are very lazy creatures and want to reduce the number of their movements.

You just named a thing that mostly responsible for health problems in the modern world, and I bet it is not so obvious for many people that it damages any country's economy. Lack of physical activity wasn't such a problem a century ago, but in today's world it's a major one. And it's not only a problem of physical health, because, according to recent research, it can add to feelings of anxiety and depression, so even our mental health is affected. No economy could work if most people were sick.
Activity: 672
Merit: 250
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Fast food, to some extent, improves the economy of some less developed countries. 
Yes, it spoils health and efficiency, but on average, the state needs a person to work until a certain period, up to about 50-60 years, which eating fast food fully implies.

There are different kinds of fast food. For example, street food is also called fast food, but in many countries street food is nutritious and healthy meal that doesn't harm your health. However, if by "fast food" you mean McDonald's-like kind of food, I disagree with you. What is bad for people's health is also bad for the country's economy in the long run.
I agree that places where people can eat quickly quickly raise the economy.  It touches not only McDonald’s.  People want to pass the time on routine things because they find such cafes so as not to waste time.  But I think that this is not the only way.  I think that now it’s important to order one home on the Internet and not just food, it can be clothes or household appliances or something else.  People are very lazy creatures and want to reduce the number of their movements.
Activity: 567
Merit: 148
Imagine, inconsistencies, inaccuracies in data, charts for every activity, business, life, banking, society, health, construction, payment will cause inequality. It is not fair that over time, it will cause cracks in the contemporary social organization structure. Autonomy is a prerequisite in today's society. Democratic freedom is not a luxury but the fact that people need them. That motivates the blockchain technology to come into being and people become stronger and more equitable.

Scaring number of poorest and unhealthy people, suffering from diseases increasing gradually is the thing that destroys not only the economy but most spheres of our life. If social programs for helping these people do not start working widely and everywhere, the crisis, worse than ever, will happen.

Actually, it does not have a direct connection with the cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 1526
Merit: 111
Pepemo.vip

For example I feel that fast food and an unhealthy lifestyle leads chronic health problems that probably affects the economy not just monetarily.

Of course we can't just deny these people care, just promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are other things that we can change that will affect the economy in a positive way?

The medical industry wants sick people, there isn't much money to be made when all of your citizens are healthy.  Plus I think unhealthy people consume more which stimulates other parts of the economy.
Lol, I think you have a very wrong perception of unhealthy people and food, how can you say that unhealthy people consume more when you have never seen any sick person that they don’t beg to take food, most unhealthy people automatically loses appetite for food when they become sick, anyway, this really has nothing to do with what stops economy from growing indirectly.

Government has always been the problem, if there was even proper medical center, the number of unhealthy people will reduce and where I see unhealthy people indirectly affecting the growth of economy is just because they are not able to work then, and when they cannot work, it has a way of limiting the production of a country when it comes to labor.
when there are employees who are sick, I have never heard of companies having difficulty doing their routines, and they can still solve the problem. most of them are sick because of the high level of activity and the wrong diet, plus less rest. although ready-to-eat food increases the risk of illness, but with the presence of ready-made food companies, increasing the economy of a country, because it involves many employees

Activity: 532
Merit: 10
█ J A X N E T W O R K █
Imagine, inconsistencies, inaccuracies in data, charts for every activity, business, life, banking, society, health, construction, payment will cause inequality. It is not fair that over time, it will cause cracks in the contemporary social organization structure. Autonomy is a prerequisite in today's society. Democratic freedom is not a luxury but the fact that people need them. That motivates the blockchain technology to come into being and people become stronger and more equitable.
Activity: 1708
Merit: 651
SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE
Activity: 1484
Merit: 326
there are many things that are maybe we think its common thing of market but had big affect to the economic movement can also it can affect crypto markets too. like hoax news through social media. news about a scam investment involving crypto. or any news about certain public figures pertaining to crypto. even though it was heard trivial but it is undeniable that things like that could happen what else in this era.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1101

The medical industry wants sick people, there isn't much money to be made when all of your citizens are healthy.  Plus I think unhealthy people consume more which stimulates other parts of the economy.
Lol, I think you have a very wrong perception of unhealthy people and food, how can you say that unhealthy people consume more when you have never seen any sick person that they don’t beg to take food, most unhealthy people automatically loses appetite for food when they become sick, anyway, this really has nothing to do with what stops economy from growing indirectly.

Government has always been the problem, if there was even proper medical center, the number of unhealthy people will reduce and where I see unhealthy people indirectly affecting the growth of economy is just because they are not able to work then, and when they cannot work, it has a way of limiting the production of a country when it comes to labor.
legendary
I stand with Ukraine.

Pages:
Jump to: