Pages:
Author

Topic: What are some not so obvious things that damage a country's economy? - page 5. (Read 6505 times)

Activity: 1638
Merit: 300
Social media and other addictive Internet sites - people are constantly glued to them, even on their work, which decreases their productivity. Social media also cause depression in many people, because they not only procrastinate, but also constantly compare their life to others, which leads to dissatisfaction. Also social media are good at spreading lies and fakes, which can have negative effects on the economy - anti-vax panic, anti-GMO, political manipulation and so on.

The internet or social media should be able to provide a positive influence on the country and in my opinion this has been proven in several countries with the emergence of many new entrepreneurs who open online shops. The internet or social media should not reduce the level of productivity because the aim is to speed up access and transactions

Well, the idea is the connectivity of each and everyone on the planet and that might be the reason why a lot of people are getting hooked by it. Trends, and that is why instead of being productive, they use it to make memes, videos that usually don't have that much of importance.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 214
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
I think some of the people who are playing games. In our country, there are a lot of people that have their own android phones and just play online games all day out. That affects the economy since the unemployed is increasing. If we can tell this people to start finding a job, maybe a simple job for starters, I guess that would be a great help.
Not that because they are unemployed in which affecting the economy also the effect of over exposure in gadgets that may cause sickness to them and after being infected then will ask for government assistance things that can be prevented if they have a regular job and not playing games continuously.

Also for me what affects the economy is the Cigarette smoking,because the government look for tax but the health issue coming from cigarettes is not accounted in which brings lot of money spender just to cure those have cancers and any related sickness from smoking
Activity: 2506
Merit: 582
"CoinPoker.com"
The internet or social media should be able to provide a positive influence on the country and in my opinion this has been proven in several countries with the emergence of many new entrepreneurs who open online shops. The internet or social media should not reduce the level of productivity because the aim is to speed up access and transactions
Social media has its positive side also, we have some people that just like to cling on the negativity when they see it, like my brother up there said, social media should nor cause depression for people became use you are seeing the lifestyle others are living, one thing that people should understand is that we have so many fake lives on social media, and the real them is not what they portray, and when you see the real them, you will realize that your own life is even better. 

When we use social media, we should only use it for news purpose only and we should always filter or verify whatever news we see. I know that social media has really caused lots of war within country because of the utterances of some media, but we can chose to just ignore it, it is just the human factor and reasoning that is affecting those that are making social media news affect them.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 251
Things that damage the economy indirectly.

For example I feel that fast food and an unhealthy lifestyle leads chronic health problems that probably affects the economy not just monetarily.

Of course we can't just deny these people care, just promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are other things that we can change that will affect the economy in a positive way?

fake news, biased news and news that push a certain propaganda etc... it can cause division to the citizen, can affect certain company
and may lose investors and other stuff. theses things can affect the economy. the effects may not be big but it is still able to affect the economy
in a bad way.
Agree, you know why a country's economy is deteriorating, currency rates are falling and there are many other problems. one of them is because of the country's political problems, the many divisions, propaganda and other internal problems in that country. look at some Asian countries that have horizontal problems, or vertical problems between the government and the people. it will make investors hesitate to enter the country so that the country's economy is weak
Activity: 1428
Merit: 251
solidtradebank.com | 5%-15% Welcome Bonus
Social media and other addictive Internet sites - people are constantly glued to them, even on their work, which decreases their productivity. Social media also cause depression in many people, because they not only procrastinate, but also constantly compare their life to others, which leads to dissatisfaction. Also social media are good at spreading lies and fakes, which can have negative effects on the economy - anti-vax panic, anti-GMO, political manipulation and so on.

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
~
But I don't necessarily disagree with your point that the more people around you prosper the better it may be for you personally (and it works in reverse as well, of course). This just shows how complicated things are in social interactions and relationships, where both competition and cooperation can very well coexist (which this forum proves)

With the help of your reply, I maybe found yet another thing that damages a country's economy. This thing is called “unfair competition”, when business rivals are trying to do economic injury to each other instead of trying to peacefully compete or even cooperate. Both parties can benefit from cooperation, as well as both parties can suffer from an economic war against each other.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
The problem is very complex and varies from country to country.
Surely an unhealthy lifestyle, with little physical activity and an unbalanced diet, in the long run will lead to unsustainable economic burdens on public health, as will eventually lead to major problems in the abuse of smartphones and PCs with postural problems to load of the spine especially in adolescents, continually bent over the smartphone, marginalized by reality, uninterested in what is happening around them, an army of robots that will hardly really work. They are distracted from reality to the point of endangering one's life and that of others by driving cars and motorcycles with the smartphone in hand. In such cases the solution could be the immediate withdrawal of the license for life and a very heavy fine. Too many young people lose their lives for the distractions of others. Cry Cry Cry

legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1087
Things that damage the economy indirectly.

For example I feel that fast food and an unhealthy lifestyle leads chronic health problems that probably affects the economy not just monetarily.

Of course we can't just deny these people care, just promote a healthier lifestyle.

What are other things that we can change that will affect the economy in a positive way?

fake news, biased news and news that push a certain propaganda etc... it can cause division to the citizen, can affect certain company
and may lose investors and other stuff. theses things can affect the economy. the effects may not be big but it is still able to affect the economy
in a bad way.
Activity: 19
Child labor. Yes child labor leads to lower prices but in the long term it's bad since the kids miss the chance of getting education which lowers the total pool of the educated population which in turn means less people to innovate new tech to increase the economic output.
legendary
Activity: 2842
Merit: 1152
I think if you are not careful about your bottom line then you are not going to be happy with the high tech as well.

A country can't survive on just high tech without having farms for example, if your farming and food production is insanely low then what matters if you are building apple or Samsung or have google, look at USA for example, dudes have the biggest technological companies in their country but they are also building the biggest farms as well, there are farms as big as some islands for example.

Hence, if you don't take care of your bottom line then you are going to have hard time with your upper levels as well, take care of small stuff first then move to big stuff. Some countries do not take the needed steps in the right direction for small stuff so they just keep failing at the big stuff as well.
Activity: 468
Merit: 100
Experience the Future of DeFi
The technology itself. We have seen how technology helps and change our lives. But on the other side, we do not see the disadvantage of this. Like the on-going development of AI today. Some experts believed that one day, 40% of jobs will be replaced by AI. This will affect the economy because it will have massive unemployment.
Activity: 29
High taxes -- people will be less likely to innovate, and the smart people move their money and businesses out of the country.
Too much regulations -- makes it hard and expensive to start and run businesses.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
~
Note that I don't say whether it is right or wrong as the idea of righteousness simply doesn't belong here (only fitness and procreation reign supreme). Further, that was not actually my point. I meant you could look at it in a more personalized sort of natural selection. If your buddies don't care about their health, look at it as your advantage if you do

Same as you, I didn't mean to bring up the moral side of the possible outcomes here. After all we are in the Economy section on bitcointalk, and not on some religious forum talking about what is right or wrong. I literally meant that, unlike in prehistoric times, there is no advantage in fails of others now. In today's world, the more people around you prosper, the more chances for you to prosper too, and vice versa

Do you really think today's world is different from prehistoric times?

I don't think that much as far as social relations and interactions are concerned. Essentially, we are still the same folks as early hunter-gatherers from the stone age, and we quickly return to that state of mind as soon as there are no more authorities and law enforcement (which technically proves my point)

But I don't necessarily disagree with your point that the more people around you prosper the better it may be for you personally (and it works in reverse as well, of course). This just shows how complicated things are in social interactions and relationships, where both competition and cooperation can very well coexist (which this forum proves)
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2112
I stand with Ukraine.
~
Note that I don't say whether it is right or wrong as the idea of righteousness simply doesn't belong here (only fitness and procreation reign supreme). Further, that was not actually my point. I meant you could look at it in a more personalized sort of natural selection. If your buddies don't care about their health, look at it as your advantage if you do

Same as you, I didn't mean to bring up the moral side of the possible outcomes here. After all we are in the Economy section on bitcointalk, and not on some religious forum talking about what is right or wrong. I literally meant that, unlike in prehistoric times, there is no advantage in fails of others now. In today's world, the more people around you prosper, the more chances for you to prosper too, and vice versa.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 528
First of all, you need a really professional government that will not abuse its capabilities and will correctly lead a country in which people are not labor and slaves, but a real engine of economy and progress.  Citizens of the state are not only working hands, but also smart heads, thanks to which the state exists.  It seems to me that in the first place, unprofessional governments harm the state and the economy.

I don't get that, at all..

I mean the government most of the time requires a lot of things from a certain person, before the person was even elected and I think that makes them a professional. Most of them are one but the thing is that what they learned, what they know, they are not using to help the country they are serving in but they are just helping themselves. That is why there are a lot of corrupt officials that don't really help the country but make the country more worse.
Activity: 120
Merit: 10
Here for enriching conversations

“A nation is born stoic, and dies epicurean” – Will Durant

Impressive quote, echoes the central sentiments in the theories of Ibn'i Haldun (Ibn Khaldun), considered by many to be the original founder of sociology.

He believed in an "instinctive model" of state formation, and noted that a rich nation who falls into complacency and luxurious laziness would be inevitably conquered and replaced by the hungry warriors from the peripheries who are naturally strengthened (and cohesive) by the much harsher conditions of their savage habitat...

Yes true, Ibn Khaldun was a forerunner of most modern disciplines such as economics, history and sociology. It is a pity that today's world rarely acknowledges the impact of his contributions to the shaping of the way the world works and reasons. His works and writings on supply-side economics are classics and timeless. I remember reading elsewhere that at one time, the President of the United States, Ronald Reagan, cited Ibn Khaldun as an influence on his supply-side economic policies, also known as Reaganomics!
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
He believed in an "instinctive model" of state formation, and noted that a rich nation who falls into complacency and luxurious laziness would be inevitably conquered and replaced by the hungry warriors from the peripheries who are naturally strengthened (and cohesive) by the much harsher conditions of their savage habitat

We have seen many historical examples of that

With the Roman Empire probably being the most conspicuous one of this kind. More importantly, the decline of ancient Rome started soon after its Republican period ended, when the Roman nobility became lazy, corrupt and overall wicked. So there is a certain truth to Will Durant's quote. But can Bitcoin and its "ideology" really help us in this department? This is the question which should be asked
Activity: 532
Merit: 101
In my opinion, even if a small thing the country can be destroyed if that small thing happens often, an example is the use of foreign products that will make domestic producers no longer productive in making goods because they cannot sell products in the country, so do food imports.  often done will destroy the economy of our own farmers
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1270
Life's but a walking shadow!
I think poor educational system is another factor or determinant that can reduce economic vibrancy of a nation, education plays a very indispensable role on the youths of a particular nation, it trains and builds them up in order to be productive in diverse fields in the future.

But when the educational system suffers, then the economy of the nation will suffer when it eventually gets into the hands of the youths, I think proper education is very important for a future with a great economy, if the system(educational)is not capable of producing well bred graduates, then the economy would definitely suffer.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1632

“A nation is born stoic, and dies epicurean” – Will Durant

Impressive quote, echoes the central sentiments in the theories of Ibn'i Haldun (Ibn Khaldun), considered by many to be the original founder of sociology.

He believed in an "instinctive model" of state formation, and noted that a rich nation who falls into complacency and luxurious laziness would be inevitably conquered and replaced by the hungry warriors from the peripheries who are naturally strengthened (and cohesive) by the much harsher conditions of their savage habitat...
Pages:
Jump to: