Pages:
Author

Topic: What can I use Bitcoin miners for other than mining? - page 3. (Read 21373 times)

Activity: 353
Merit: 250
I am currently running few S2 Antminer and taking it apart and seeing what is inside indeed make me wonder is it really toxic. I had purchase a meter from ebay to test the radioactive reading. Each S2 cards resembles a graphic card and nothing more. I wonder how toxic can it be. BTW i believe 80% of electronics from the world are from China so lets not stereotype.

Thanks
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
i heat home in winter with them

Its unhealthy.

Whilst almost every electronic device offgases nasty chemicals, you can use a heat recovery air to air exchanger. For example, google something like a Fantech - SH704 - Heat Recovery Ventilator. You can reverse the process to keep those nasty chemicals separate to your living space air.
Activity: 214
Merit: 100

Its unhealthy.
Activity: 280
scams hunter!
Activity: 448
If you don't need your Bitcoin Miner, you can sell it for a better price.
Something is better than nothing actually.

Agree, the price on ebay is ridiculously higher then market price for some reason.
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
If you don't need your Bitcoin Miner, you can sell it for a better price.
Something is better than nothing actually.
Activity: 273
The heat from the 4 S3s and three S1's I run next to my armoire melt the candles I had about 5 feet above the miners and off to the right.  My wife turns the air off at night even though I told her not too and now she hates me for killing her candles... Cheesy

Well, you need to have better ventilation.
Activity: 168
The heat from the 4 S3s and three S1's I run next to my armoire melt the candles I had about 5 feet above the miners and off to the right.  My wife turns the air off at night even though I told her not too and now she hates me for killing her candles... Cheesy
Activity: 160
Space Heaters for your home.

Here is a thread I started a while ago seeing if it would be feasible to heat your house with GPU's. To see if the heat created and coins generated could outweigh the cost of heating a home normally.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/heating-a-house-with-old-gpus-worth-it-320984

Anyone want to convert the math for the current bitcoin ASIC's see how many you might need to fully heat a house?
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
Space Heaters for your home.
Activity: 333
Merit: 13
I lock 4 S2 Antminer in 1 room and it became my dryer. I just hang anything i want in the room and it will be dried in few hours. In the meantime i get BTC!!

Bad idea, S2 antminer produce some metallic smell which might be bad for you..

You guys don't understand that these machines are built in China & the radiation etc is not regulated... I bought a radiation tester and found my rooms were now "extremely high" in radiation & I've now stopped mining in my house completely. A few dollars a day is not worth my health!

If this is the case with miners, then all these warehouses where the manufacturers are setting up data centres with thousand of these things running 24/7 are all gonna be no go radiactive wastelands soon then??
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
Hulk Smash it

That's actually another way of looking at it.  If it's like 1st generation ASIC or FPGA old, you can't sell it on eBay or otherwise, and your electrical costs are sky high, then there's an out right there.

It'd be a good stress release, just make sure you toss the remains in a dumpster after.   Tongue
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Hulk Smash it
Activity: 784
Merit: 504
I lock 4 S2 Antminer in 1 room and it became my dryer. I just hang anything i want in the room and it will be dried in few hours. In the meantime i get BTC!!

You guys don't understand that these machines are built in China & the radiation etc is not regulated... I bought a radiation tester and found my rooms were now "extremely high" in radiation & I've now stopped mining in my house completely. A few dollars a day is not worth my health!

That's exactly true. Chinese unbranded(major) products are unsafe to use.
Activity: 126

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

Just spray some perfumes to remove that metallic smell in clothes.
I tried drying clothes like that and no such smell.
My drying room was not closed but, air circulated from one side through the devices and exit through the the other side.
Activity: 272

Activity: 338
It would be interesting to see someone place their miners touching their water pipes so you get warm water from your tap (kind of like a functional water cooling), while making money mining.  Especially during winter.
Activity: 353

legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Why does everyone keep saying heat when this thing will have you in a hospital by 2016... Trust me your bitcoins won't help then. I think everyone is trying to sell their miners right now honestly

Why would heat from a Bitcoin miner be dangerous. My undervolted S1s run at only 40C. That's less than laptops, playstations, etc. I've never heard any report that heat from computers can be dangerous.

Heat from computers or any electronic devices will not harm you.
But the chemicals released from these extremely heated electronic components are harmful inhalants.
This is a documented stuff and papers are available on the internet.
From normal electronic devices like television, refrigerators, etc they are very much negligible.

Incase of these mining hardwares, their build quality is too low due to low life expectancy.
But they are running at extreme conditions for mining so the chemicals silently released are multifold than the others.

*cough*bulshit*cough*

You have to set fire to electronic components to heat them up enough to release the chemicals inside them.
Pages:
Jump to: