Pages:
Author

Topic: What can I use Bitcoin miners for other than mining? - page 8. (Read 21373 times)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

Most of the miners out there are based on Linux, whether raspberry PI, BeagleBone or other form(s) of controllers.
Some of these are fast, decent performing boards, while others (Raspberry PI as an example) are pretty slow overall.

You could in theory disconnect the hashing boards inside the units and turn them into web-servers, cloud servers, storage servers,
mysql servers etc.    I have already done this with broken cointerra boxes I have by extracting the Beaglebone boards and installing different
linux versions on them.  They are great for small low traffic DNS servers DHCP servers and web servers for low traffic (perhaps home media center?) servers.

I even have a wordpress site running on one just for shits and giggles.

So what you are doing there is using the controller... fair enough... but those asics are still rendered useless.. right?
Activity: 70
Merit: 10

Most of the miners out there are based on Linux, whether raspberry PI, BeagleBone or other form(s) of controllers.
Some of these are fast, decent performing boards, while others (Raspberry PI as an example) are pretty slow overall.

You could in theory disconnect the hashing boards inside the units and turn them into web-servers, cloud servers, storage servers,
mysql servers etc.    I have already done this with broken cointerra boxes I have by extracting the Beaglebone boards and installing different
linux versions on them.  They are great for small low traffic DNS servers DHCP servers and web servers for low traffic (perhaps home media center?) servers.

I even have a wordpress site running on one just for shits and giggles.

Anybody try using it to heat your water heater?

Lol how would you do that?  have it exhaust out on the water tank?

Something like a watercooling system

I think that would be a challenge as you need to put cooling heatsinks/tubing on the asic chips -> water heater.
Activity: 616
Merit: 503
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

Something like a watercooling system

Activity: 285
Activity: 89
once they are uneconomic of course   Grin
Activity: 89
you can use as doorstops or weld together into a modern art installation
Activity: 616
Merit: 503
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
We are based in the US and while there are definitely mining applications, the idea is that the computational load across a larger distributed network essentially becomes the "fuel" to keep the components hot and transferring heat. There's also local computational demand, so theoretically, the device could control anything in your house with a CPU or GPU. Globally, the collective computational power could be tapped by you, or third parties for whatever it's needed for - advanced math, research, whatever. It's not an uncommon model actually. SETI uses a similar platform where they will use a portion of your home computer's power to run calcs - but it's extremely limiting. This prototype is VERY powerful computationally speaking. Essentially, when you plug it into a network of other "like minded" devices, you've got access to a super computer that just so happens to heat / coool your home, give you got water, and act as a smart meter for all of your other digital devices.

That's the idea anyway!

I thought about that a few weeks ago, I only thought about a house heater application. Because of this the device would only be usefull during winter (or in Alaska  Cheesy ) so my solution was to ship it to different areas depending on the weather... But it isn't efficient at all. A water warming solution would be much more efficient, the only problem I see is that these miners use the same amount of power all the time, the warm water is needed in precise moments. So in order to do it one would need to 1) use a little warm water (no bath only shower for instance) 2) have a huge water heater tank.

Both of these solutions are not optimum because 1) a person has not as much comfort and would have to do sacrifices  and 2) a huge water tank would have to be installed (maybe 500 liters) => it's expensive, takes place and energy loses are higher. (but at least this energy would be use efficiently)

What would your solution be ?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
Decentralized hardware? Like a global mainframe of computing HVAC systems, stoves, kettles, irons, space heaters, etc.

Sorry guys but... ROFL
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002
You can use them as stoves and cook on them simple thing like omelet and tea and maybe coffee Smiley

also let me know if it worked ... also some photos will be nice Smiley
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
My GPU's functioned as a great heater in the winter. It worked great...
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Ahh, heater? I guess.
Activity: 66
Any other cool funky ways to use it? I'm sure we have a clever community here which will know some funky ways to use them .
I suggest you use them as a heater as winter is approaching nearer.Believe me you are gonna save some nice $$  Roll Eyes
Activity: 25
We are based in the US and while there are definitely mining applications, the idea is that the computational load across a larger distributed network essentially becomes the "fuel" to keep the components hot and transferring heat. There's also local computational demand, so theoretically, the device could control anything in your house with a CPU or GPU. Globally, the collective computational power could be tapped by you, or third parties for whatever it's needed for - advanced math, research, whatever. It's not an uncommon model actually. SETI uses a similar platform where they will use a portion of your home computer's power to run calcs - but it's extremely limiting. This prototype is VERY powerful computationally speaking. Essentially, when you plug it into a network of other "like minded" devices, you've got access to a super computer that just so happens to heat / coool your home, give you got water, and act as a smart meter for all of your other digital devices.

That's the idea anyway!
Activity: 8
Nice site!! Could you pls tell us more info for this?

Hi Everyone -

I was perusing Coindesk and found an article that linked to this thread.

I have a client who has built exactly what you are talking about (re: Rig for Home Heating). We call the concept Combined Heating and Computation. It's in prototype form and as of late, we've been trying to build some buzz around it in larger energy efficiency communities, but it could apply to Bitcoin mining as well (among a host of other things).

We are currently in the R&D stage gathering partners for pilot demos and investment. We will be starting a KS campaign in the fall so stay tuned. I'd obviously love to hear any feedback or answer any question you might have.

www.3xergy.com
Activity: 25
Hi Everyone -

I was perusing Coindesk and found an article that linked to this thread.

I have a client who has built exactly what you are talking about (re: Rig for Home Heating). We call the concept Combined Heating and Computation. It's in prototype form and as of late, we've been trying to build some buzz around it in larger energy efficiency communities, but it could apply to Bitcoin mining as well (among a host of other things).

We are currently in the R&D stage gathering partners for pilot demos and investment. We will be starting a KS campaign in the fall so stay tuned. I'd obviously love to hear any feedback or answer any question you might have.

www.3xergy.com
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
heaters.  find old ladies or other thermically-challenged folk and give them a foot heater

i seriously currently have 2 antminer S1's setup for 2 coworkers for this specific reason
Activity: 8
To dry your hair, the pets and the cloth!
 Roll Eyes

Super cool!

Activity: 98
Best thing I can think of would be to use them to heat my greenhouse.  Pineapples/peaches etc. don't care about being deafened. Grin
Pages:
Jump to: