Author

Topic: What's your biggest problem with Bitcoin - page 119. (Read 135083 times)

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
For me , the biggest problem is duration of transaction confirmation  Tongue
I think this should be accelerated for example 1 transaction confirmation in 1 second  Cool

For that to happen, the difficulty in mining a block would have to be divided by zero.
legendary
RIP Mommy
I believe that's covered by Mycelium cold storage spending. You can also disable change addresses in Electrum.
legendary
Activity: 1241
Merit: 1005
..like bright metal on a sullen ground.
Change addresses. I guess it's unsolvable, but if only there could be a bitcoin which didn't require the use of a change address with transactions (i.e., unspent funds remain in original address).

Easy to solve.  Just craft your transaction so there is no change.  Put all your change back in your own wallet.  Easy, but bad.  Recycling address is bad, for a number of reasons.  Basically, it reduces the security of that address.  The numbers are still staggeringly astronomical, but for the cryptogeeks it is cringe worthy.  As such, no self respecting cryptographer will recycle address, and all the docs say addresses are single use.

That's interesting and I will play around with that with a wallet. I was thinking though more along the lines of being able to spend portions of a paper wallet. For example, someone with a paper wallet goes and gets some coffee. Then they spend some more of the same paper wallet on a cab fare to the burger place where they use the same key again to pay for their meal. Basically a cash substitute, at least for the payer. I suppose you could have the payee generate a change address paper wallet (or send the change back to your original address, or do that yourself if interfacing with a non-paper wallet provided by the payee), although that would introduce another level of trust.
legendary
RIP Mommy
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I believe most replies are right on track, availability of things to use it on out in public day to day transactions... its trying to get a "online currency" out into the real world... The use of BTC Atms i believe are  good step in breaking down this barrier,  but in the whole scheme of currency in general BTC is still very young and i do believe it to be a lasting thing....
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
I have no problems in using bitcoin, even more fortunately than fiat money.
perhaps only "confirmation" that should be faster despite using a small fee
Activity: 210
Merit: 104
“Create Your Decentralized Life”
It's not easy to solve unless you have a degree in computer science. Are there any easy to understand instructions on how to craft your transaction so there is no change anywhere? I mean really basic instructions that any idiot can understand.
I have such a degree... so I'll give it a shot.  I'm not at my node, so I'll have to do this off the top of my head.

1) I see your address is 1MkPr5qEaU5A7fuLx8cpqYfQSanQZptfBS
2) You can see that my address is 18MDTTiqPM8ZEo29Cig1wfGdkLNtvyorW5
3) I see that you have 8.40 mBTC
4) I propose you give me 1.0 mBTC for awesomeness
5) You hit the send button on your Bitcoin-Qt client.
6) You fill in my address as the to: 18MDTTiqPM8ZEo29Cig1wfGdkLNtvyorW5 for 1.0 mBTC
7) You fill in your address as the second recpt: 1MkPr5qEaU5A7fuLx8cpqYfQSanQZptfBS for 7.39 ( the 0.01 mBTC is for TX fee )
8.) If 8.40 is your total balance (can only see the one addr), then no change will get generated.

If your wallet has many addresses, and shows a total of 8976.54 mBTC then just change the amount going back to yourself as simply... all your money.

Here's the math (stay with me).

If you own 8976.54 mBTC in your wallet, and want to pay me (continuing theme) 1 mBTC.
  • 8976.54 - 1 (for payment to me) = 8975.54
  • 8975.54 - 0.01 (for transaction fee) = 8975.53
  • 8975.53 is what you send to yourself in the send window

I might do some screenshots, but I think this subject is getting a bit off in the weeds.

Suffice to say, post a thread "How do I send my change back to my Hot Wallet in Bitcoin-Qt (or whatever)" and you should get plenty of replies.  Easy stuff.

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007
DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!
Biggest problem? I don't have enough of it.
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
Change addresses. I guess it's unsolvable, but if only there could be a bitcoin which didn't require the use of a change address with transactions (i.e., unspent funds remain in original address).

Easy to solve.  Just craft your transaction so there is no change.  Put all your change back in your own wallet.  Easy, but bad.  Recycling address is bad, for a number of reasons.  Basically, it reduces the security of that address.  The numbers are still staggeringly astronomical, but for the cryptogeeks it is cringe worthy.  As such, no self respecting cryptographer will recycle address, and all the docs say addresses are single use.

It's not easy to solve unless you have a degree in computer science. Are there any easy to understand instructions on how to craft your transaction so there is no change anywhere? I mean really basic instructions that any idiot can understand.
Activity: 210
Merit: 104
“Create Your Decentralized Life”

Easy to solve.  Just craft your transaction so there is no change.  Put all your change back in your own wallet.  Easy, but bad.  Recycling address is bad, for a number of reasons.  Basically, it reduces the security of that address.  The numbers are still staggeringly astronomical, but for the cryptogeeks it is cringe worthy.  As such, no self respecting cryptographer will recycle address, and all the docs say addresses are single use.
legendary

Feel free to talk about any problem, even if it seems unsolvable or too abstract (e.g. Bitcoin is not safe enough for the average user)

legendary
My biggest problem is price is too low.  How to fix this?   Huh

legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
Not having enough.

Yes.  I have problem like this also.   Sad
Q7
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Well transaction time for me is still something bitcoin needs to work on. I need it to be faster. I can't imagine waiting in the queue at retail outlets. It must be a swipe and go process. The next issue is probably the recent debacle about the majority and who really owns and control the network.
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
For me, probably the transaction confirmation times.  That is one the biggest wow or attractive factors with bitcoin for myself personally.  It is getting too long.
They are enough imo. Credit card transaction confirmation times take around 180 times, I don't see anyone complaining about that.
What we need is a bigger blocksize as demonstrated by the smap tests, where confirmation times can start taking up to hours.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 1654
Enterapp Pre-Sale Live - bit.ly/3UrMCWI
Not having enough.

Yeah not such a big problem with the bitcoin. BTC is created perfectly by satoshi.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
Not having enough.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008
my biggest problem is the lack of adoption in my country. there's no store that accept bitcoin in my city

My biggest problem is price is too low.  How to fix this?   Huh

buy ten billion USD worth of BTC. there, problem solved  Tongue

Thats why you need some good advertise in your country to make people using bitcoin and start open up a store so your problems will be solved. And how are you going to buy 10 billion USD worth of BTC, did you have that kind of money? If you have that money I dont think you would spend all in bitcoin, better do some long term investment so you will get more profit
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
PUGG.io
Acc. To me it is the transaction fees. Shocked Cool
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
Biggest problem with bitcoin is the long time the tx. need to be confirmed.

I guess there are no such problem. It seems everyone will not agree on the transaction speed here

my biggest problem is the lack of adoption in my country. there's no store that accept bitcoin in my city

My biggest problem is price is too low.  How to fix this?   Huh

buy ten billion USD worth of BTC. there, problem solved  Tongue

Buying that much of BTC you will just lose it too because the price is not stable now
Jump to: