Author

Topic: What's your biggest problem with Bitcoin - page 115. (Read 135083 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1002
i dont have big problem with bicoin, but for know just too late confirmed transaction
but it's not big problem
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
I have NO such a Big Problem with BTC, But Little Problem, Yeah I have, I cant withdraw my BTC directly to fiat Money, I have to go to exchanges or localbitcoin for that. Have Master card of bit-x but its fees are too high. Other wise BTC, doing very well in my daily life,

But there is option of transfering BTC directly to your bank account I guess so you can withdraw in your local currency and the fees are not too high. So that would be the best option for you as I prefer directly transfering BTC do my Bank account.
copper member
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
I have NO such a Big Problem with BTC, But Little Problem, Yeah I have, I cant withdraw my BTC directly to fiat Money, I have to go to exchanges or localbitcoin for that. Have Master card of bit-x but its fees are too high. Other wise BTC, doing very well in my daily life,
Activity: 500
How could bitcoin possibly handle the type of traffic the modern day world demands or even a small fraction of it?

Why could it not? I think once the block size debacle has been sorted there's nothing I can envision holding it back other than just the mainstream getting involved (which will be a slow process any way).
Activity: 131
Merit: 19
Krypton
Software development team here.
We would like to hear from the community what are the most annoying\frustrating stuff you have with Bitcoin and would love to get a solution for ?
Feel free to talk about any problem, even if it seems unsolvable or too abstract (e.g. Bitcoin is not safe enough for the average user)
Edit:
After reading all the replies, I feel confident summarizing that the #1 problem of Bitcoin is probably lack of adoption.
And the main reasons of lack of adoption are probably ease of use and insufficient security.
We are a team of entrepreneurs and software developers that are going to spend the next following months-year on developing a new product.
One of the most appealing markets for us is the Bitcoin market.
We will try to learn us much as possible from your replies and try to tackle the problems head on.

Too slow.
Activity: 710
Merit: 502
My biggest problem, let's see:

#1 - Asics, centralized processing by a very few, Litecoin promised to avoid that and didn't deliver, vertcoin so far has done it!.

#2 - Bitcoin core, taking forever to load, taking forever to check hashes when the computer crashes, taking forever to update.

(of course if you use a big ass machine with 100MB+ connection won't be an issue, but most people run bitcoin core from their notebooks with 1MB connection, sometimes takes like 7 - 10 minutes to load, and several 10's of minutes to hours to update!.

Usually, when I go to an exchange to buy or sell BTC, I update the notebook's core wallet before I left, then I load it on the exchange office (and even when only 30 minutes has passed, it takes me like 10 - 15 minutes to update!, this is ridiculous!)

On top of that, I have to wait sometimes 10 minutes or more to wait for the at least 2 confirmations, before I left, even when I always pay a high fee to make sure it would be pretty quick, the last time i sell btc i pay like 0.070 BTC fee, which i thing is pretty significant, and still it took like 11 minutes for the first confirmation.

Nowadays I have the wallet on my primary server which is a dual xeon with sas drives so I can load the wallet pretty quickly and access it remotely from my VPN when I am at the exchange, but again, it is ridiculous i have to use a 20000 USD server to run a wallet (of course this sever does a lot of other things, but you get the idea!)

I don't mind blockchain size, as 42GB is nothing compared to actual hard drive sizes, but:
- time to load wallet
- time to recheck hashes, and...
- time to update the wallet

are the most significant problems for me.
Activity: 546
The current availability of where I can spend with BTC is my biggest issue. I know time will tell but that is my biggest issue right now.
On another note, long confirmation times is another issue that could be dealt with.

The biggest problem with me is that in my country no one is aware about the bitcoins and that makes me really worried that where should i spend my bitcoins. No doubt I use it for online purchases but I really want that the merchants in my country should start accepting it as a mode of payment
legendary
Activity: 1274
The Golden Rule Rules
How could bitcoin possibly handle the type of traffic the modern day world demands or even a small fraction of it?
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1008
The biggest issue is the volatility and I think that's what scares a lot of people off, but at the same time its that volatility that is very attractive to speculators and thus the potential for profit. For the average user who may wish to use it as a currency though it can be scary for them.

This is what I thought for the first time Im doing trading bitcoin, I scare about the volatility but at last I think without any volatility I dont think I can get good profit. With this volatility we can earn every time and get much profit from it

The biggest problem is, I can't spend my bitcoin in any real shop that accept it in my city, so I must exchange it to fiat before if I want to buy a stuff. I hope there will be real shop that accept bitcoin sooner.

I dont know about your city but there are plenty shop that accept bitcoin as their payment out there and from what I heard they also build some ATM machine for some people to get their bitcoin too from a mall so I guess some shops will open in no time. Cheer up  Grin

Thanks for your information, but that's not useful for me. Do you want me to visit your city for just spend my btc or use ATM machine? If you can build one in my city, it sounds better then  Cheesy

I didnt mean it that way, because there are some country that build bitcoin ATM and I think in some few years later if there is a mass adoption of bitcoin or bitcoin becoming mainstream may be your goverment will try to build one of it. Because from my research there are quite good of adoption in this past years in some countries http://cointelegraph.com/news/114093/seven-cities-leading-bitcoin-adoption-in-2015. This will make bitcoin fast to grow in number of adoption and its price too

Don't you know these countries has legalized bitcoin and their governments let it grow rapidly? Actually I really wish the shop and ATM will be built in my city. Maybe just wait until 2-3 years later.

Thats why Im saying to you that if there is a mass adoption in your country, your government will notice it and may be they will legalized it and build  bitcoin ATM to let you guys spend it. We will see it later how are these things going in another few years  Grin
Activity: 651
Merit: 518
#1 problem of Bitcoin is probably lack of adoption.

No, it is whales. People who obtained insane amount of bitcoins one way or another and then removed them from economy, reducing exchange liquidity and causing price to swing wildly. There won't be mass adoption unless liquidity improves big time. But you tell that to someone who sits on 10,000+ BTC and does not have to sell any of those coins unless price suits him (1 million dollars or so).
JJB
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
The first confirmation can take 30 minutes - 1 hour.

Really? Are you sure your sending a decent enough fee? My first confirmations usually happen around ten minutes. I once sent without a fee by accident and it took a very long time, though.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1125
The biggest issue is the volatility and I think that's what scares a lot of people off, but at the same time its that volatility that is very attractive to speculators and thus the potential for profit. For the average user who may wish to use it as a currency though it can be scary for them.

This is what I thought for the first time Im doing trading bitcoin, I scare about the volatility but at last I think without any volatility I dont think I can get good profit. With this volatility we can earn every time and get much profit from it

The biggest problem is, I can't spend my bitcoin in any real shop that accept it in my city, so I must exchange it to fiat before if I want to buy a stuff. I hope there will be real shop that accept bitcoin sooner.

I dont know about your city but there are plenty shop that accept bitcoin as their payment out there and from what I heard they also build some ATM machine for some people to get their bitcoin too from a mall so I guess some shops will open in no time. Cheer up  Grin

Thanks for your information, but that's not useful for me. Do you want me to visit your city for just spend my btc or use ATM machine? If you can build one in my city, it sounds better then  Cheesy

I didnt mean it that way, because there are some country that build bitcoin ATM and I think in some few years later if there is a mass adoption of bitcoin or bitcoin becoming mainstream may be your goverment will try to build one of it. Because from my research there are quite good of adoption in this past years in some countries http://cointelegraph.com/news/114093/seven-cities-leading-bitcoin-adoption-in-2015. This will make bitcoin fast to grow in number of adoption and its price too

Don't you know these countries has legalized bitcoin and their governments let it grow rapidly? Actually I really wish the shop and ATM will be built in my city. Maybe just wait until 2-3 years later.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
a better platform for wallet management could making a killing!

Yeah, I heard a bank CEO mention that if Bitcoin becomes dominating, the banks new role might be as custodians of private keys.

Seems plausible.

However, I see some challenges with that. The benefit of having custodians would be to make the bitcoin system as trusted as it is in most western countries today (despite what some in here think). This would include the posibility of a guarantee that the money are safe, and that the bank will reimburse if anything happens. So far so good.... but in order to provide such a guarantee it seems the bank will need to know how many btcs are in the wallet. And then that knowledge has tax implications etc. And that is where many people won't like it so much anymore.

I guess we need a new Satoshi to come up with another revolutionary and simple idea for guarding btcs safely easily. So far I can only think of the banks.. and that again has some nasty side-effects.
Activity: 994
a better platform for wallet management could making a killing!
legendary
Activity: 1386
For me its also the confirmation time.

It took nearly 40 minutes or more, that is too long imo.
They coin we see fast in a few minutes, the confirmation  Lips sealed
Activity: 462
Merit: 251
Some problems in bitcoin might be resolved if you frequently update the software, and update information as well. because although it has designed a variety of security features and others when not in use will be the same result
Activity: 686
I still have this big problem with bitcoin and my self, i had a chance to buy thousands of bitcoin when price was under 50 usd and i passed the offer because i thought mining was going to be good enough.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
The first confirmation can take 30 minutes - 1 hour. Also many providers need many confirmation like 3 or even 6. I think 1 confirmation is enough in normal condition ( when split doesn't happen ). Also about security, i can't say anything about this because i lost my 2FA key and i forgot to backup when i re-flash my phone Shocked. Some users complain about security. Security is important thing for bitcoin Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
The biggest problem is that price development is lackluster, if you could improve the exchange rate performance, make it rise 4x in a year, then the community will expand like supernova, all the other problem will be solved automatically  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027
The biggest problem with Bitcoin is still security! Wallet security still needs to be further developed! I'm still waiting for someone who introduces a local wallet with 2FA security + additional factors (email confirmation, trading question, biometrics etc).

I also believe that people running full client nodes should be compensated, and that's an issue that should be addressed.
Jump to: