Author

Topic: What's your opinion of gun control? - page 153. (Read 450471 times)

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
January 21, 2016, 11:46:43 AM
Yeah cause it happens everyday. And guns are used only that way. The 11 000 deaths every year in the USA by firearms and the 90 000 non lethal injuries due to guns only concern people that violently entered houses to loot people. Not at all kids, stupid neighbors problems or anything else.

#1 Your statistics likely include:
-Justified use of police force
-Justified use of defensive force
-Suicides
-Mostly gang activity

#2 The question is not just how many deaths are caused by guns, but also how many deaths are PREVENTED by legal gun owners.

Of course gun owners protecting peoples lives and property without ever firing a shot is never covered in the media, but statistics clearly show legal gun ownership prevents more violence and crime in general than it causes. I don't know if you have heard but criminals don't give a shit about laws. Making more laws about guns does nothing to prevent them from acquiring and using firearms illegally, and this is a fact. If you wish to dispute this fact please attempt to use your "logic" to demonstrate to me how penalties after the fact prevent criminals from harming others. The television is not an educational tool, stop getting your "facts" from media bought and paid for by the same people that want the population unarmed so they can be more easily robbed and exterminated with the least amount of resistance.

Since you like TV so much here are a couple videos for you to watch, not that your cognitive dissonance will allow you to watch them all the way thru before you get nauseous from exposure to reality. The imaginary utopia you claim exists in other parts of the world is a much more comfortable delusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFMUeUErYVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaaJr8mJbRo

http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-12-27/how-often-do-we-use-guns-in-self-defense

"A conservative estimate of the order of magnitude is tens of thousands of times a year; 100,000 is not a wild gun-nut fantasy."

Wow, so if there was gun control it would mean "tens of thousands" of people would be killed?

Well if that's the case your country is the shit of the world xD

I just know I live in a country with gun control, really strong one, and you know what? I'm 50 times less likely to be killed by firearm than you  Wink

But if you're ok with that, just go on.

You don't realize that the leaders of your country look at the gun freedom that we have in America...

and are too afraid to make slaves of the people in your country...

because your leaders know that if they did...

the people of your country would rebel completely to get gun freedom...

because if they became slaves...

they would still see American freedom that is upheld by Americans with guns.

So, the people of the world governments look at gun freedom in America (and Switzerland), and are afraid to make slaves of their people because of American (and Swiss) gun freedom.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
January 21, 2016, 11:42:29 AM
Please point to the logic in your statement. Looks like your opinion to me. Sorry but your opinion doesn't count as fact. By the way did you know that people who own automobiles are hundreds of times more likely to be killed in automobile accidents? Clearly the need to travel is invalidated by this fact just as the need to be able to defend one's self is by your logic.

P.S. Way to completely skip over the evidence and discussion presented. Cognitive dissonance FTW. Exposure to reality is too painful for you to bare apparently.

No it's just that I don't really trust videos in general. It's a very biased media and I clearly prefer text elements that you can discuss more easily. Add to that the fact that I don't consider your limited intelligence deserve the hour of my time of your video.

The logic of my statement:
No gun -> less violence -> no need to defend yourself, police is enough.

Easy enough no?

My proof/fact? Well the whole Europe works that way with rather good results. Lower crime rates than the USA, less shootings since the invention of gun than in the USA in the last 10 years. Sounds like some proof to me, or at least less than just my opinion!

That is convenient that you "don't trust videos in general", it seems to mirror your general distrust of inanimate objects like firearms rather than critically examining the actual usage of these tools. It makes it much easier for you to not have to actually engage in any fact or logic based debate. Apparently the same goes for the Bloomberg article that sources the very conservative estimates based on The National Crime Victimization Survey endorsed by a well respected pro-gun control Harvard scholar.  I bet you have no problem watching television and believing every word, but videos on the internet clearly are automatically suspect and should not even be reviewed. Probably for the best, if you watched them you might actually learn something, and I know how painful that must be for you.

"The logic of my statement:
No gun -> less violence -> no need to defend yourself, police is enough."

One question... lets assume for a minute that police don't have an average response time of 5-20 minutes and they are efficient at protecting you. What tools do they use to do this? Oh that's right, police use guns! In effect you aren't for banning guns, you are just for centralizing the use of force and giving the government a monopoly on violence. Obviously the government can be trusted! That has clearly worked so well in the past. I am not even going to bother making a long list of genocides perpetrated against disarmed populations by their own governments, just open any history book.

"My proof/fact? Well the whole Europe works that way with rather good results. Lower crime rates than the USA, less shootings since the invention of gun than in the USA in the last 10 years. Sounds like some proof to me, or at least less than just my opinion!"

Really? Are you sure about that? BTW if you are going to debate with me try using complete sentences, it is kind of difficult to debate a statement that doesn't even make sense linguistically. Additionally the statement "less shootings" is a nonsense statement because it does not differentiate from criminal assaults, suicides, gang activity, justified legal defensive use of force, or other instances of firearm use, therefore it is impossible to define in any meaningful way as you stated it. In summary, yes that is just your opinion.

Here is a list of per-capita crime rates by nation. Topping the list is most of Europe. Number 22 on the list, USA.
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Total-crimes-per-1000

Here it is again since you have difficulty with reading comprehension:
Re: Defensive use of firearms
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2012-12-27/how-often-do-we-use-guns-in-self-defense

"A conservative estimate of the order of magnitude is tens of thousands of times a year; 100,000 is not a wild gun-nut fantasy."
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251
January 21, 2016, 11:16:05 AM
Yeah cause it happens everyday. And guns are used only that way. The 11 000 deaths every year in the USA by firearms and the 90 000 non lethal injuries due to guns only concern people that violently entered houses to loot people. Not at all kids, stupid neighbors problems or anything else.

-Suicides
-Mostly gang activity

#2 The question is not just how many deaths are caused by guns, but also how many deaths are PREVENTED by legal gun owners.

Of course gun owners protecting peoples lives and property without ever firing a shot is never covered in the media, but statistics clearly show legal gun ownership prevents more violence and crime in general than it causes. I don't know if you have heard but criminals don't give a shit about laws. Making more laws about guns does nothing to prevent them from acquiring and using firearms illegally, and this is a fact. If you wish to dispute this fact please attempt to use your "logic" to demonstrate to me how penalties after the fact prevent criminals from harming others. The television is not an educational tool, stop getting your "facts" from media bought and paid for by the same people that want the population unarmed so they can be more easily robbed and exterminated with the least amount of resistance.

Since you like TV so much here are a couple videos for you to watch, not that your cognitive dissonance will allow you to watch them all the way thru before you get nauseous from exposure to reality. The imaginary utopia you claim exists in other parts of the world is a much more comfortable delusion.

Wow, so if there was gun control it would mean "tens of thousands" of people would be killed?

I just know I live in a country with gun control, really strong one, and you know what? I'm 50 times less likely to be killed by firearm than you  Wink

Please point to the logic in your statement. Looks like your opinion to me. Sorry but your opinion doesn't count as fact. By the way did you know that people who own automobiles are hundreds of times more likely to be killed in automobile accidents? Clearly the need to travel is invalidated by this fact just as the need to be able to defend one's self is by your logic.

P.S. Way to completely skip over the evidence and discussion presented. Cognitive dissonance FTW. Exposure to reality is too painful for you to bare apparently.

No it's just that I don't really trust videos in general. It's a very biased media and I clearly prefer text elements that you can discuss more easily. Add to that the fact that I don't consider your limited intelligence deserve the hour of my time of your video.

The logic of my statement:
No gun -> less violence -> no need to defend yourself, police is enough.

Easy enough no?

My proof/fact? Well the whole Europe works that way with rather good results. Lower crime rates than the USA, less shootings since the invention of gun than in the USA in the last 10 years. Sounds like some proof to me, or at least less than just my opinion!

PS: if you feel the need to defend yourself... Well maybe you have others problems than jsut gun control. I don't feel I need that, police is here for the citizens in my country :/
legendary
First Exclusion Ever
January 21, 2016, 11:10:22 AM

-Suicides
-Mostly gang activity

legendary
January 21, 2016, 10:45:03 AM

-Suicides
-Mostly gang activity

I just know I live in a country with gun control, really strong one, and you know what? I'm 50 times less likely to be killed by firearm than you  Wink

legendary
First Exclusion Ever
January 21, 2016, 10:29:22 AM

-Suicides
-Mostly gang activity

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
January 21, 2016, 10:17:11 AM
I've got a question for you all gun owners. Did you already happen to be in a situation where your gun could have saved your life? Cause I never had a situation in which a gun would have been useful, and I don't know ANYONE who had been in a situation like this...

So maybe you've got a problem of criminality more than a problem of guns...

You mean, except for practically all Yazidi women?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/636088/ISIS-chiefs-Women-become-Muslim-10-jihadis-rape-her

That's the problem with broad, poorly thought out progressive constructions of "what is right."

Humanity and it's cultures are infinitely diverse.
legendary
January 21, 2016, 09:48:24 AM
I've got a question for you all gun owners. Did you already happen to be in a situation where your gun could have saved your life? Cause I never had a situation in which a gun would have been useful, and I don't know ANYONE who had been in a situation like this...

So maybe you've got a problem of criminality more than a problem of guns...
legendary
January 21, 2016, 09:46:40 AM
By these guys logic we should ban anyone who has ever drank alcohol from getting a driver's license, since they might get drunk and cause an accident.

By these guy logic, you should take example on all the civilized countries that have lower crimes rates, lower deaths by firearms and lower mass shootings (never in fact)
Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_%28Europe%29

Thanks for that data. To be honest it's so rare that we're not really aware of it! So I learned something here.

Could we still agree on the fact that USA, with half European population, had 200 mass shootings in last decades, which is more than the double of all mass shootings in the whole Europe EVER?

So I'd say it's still really low rate compared to yours. Though you did well to remind me they exist.

and understand that if anyone have a gun, it's not safer that if no one have a gun, except a few violents criminals that don't use it cause they know they'll get found easily if they do. And yes, criminals don't use their guns 99% of the time, at least in Europe, maybe we don't have the same criminals. And maybe it's because it's legal to have an ak47 in the USA.

Well, maybe you don't have the same criminals...

Then again, I am certain there are areas of Dublin, or Sarajevo, or Glasgow, or Moscova, or Tirana, that you would not be safe to go into unarmed.  Or Napoli, Belgrade, Sophia, Nottingham, or Limerick.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't feel any safer armed... What would I do? Show my gun to scare them?
legendary
January 21, 2016, 09:19:35 AM
By these guys logic we should ban anyone who has ever drank alcohol from getting a driver's license, since they might get drunk and cause an accident.

By these guy logic, you should take example on all the civilized countries that have lower crimes rates, lower deaths by firearms and lower mass shootings (never in fact)
Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_%28Europe%29

and understand that if anyone have a gun, it's not safer that if no one have a gun, except a few violents criminals that don't use it cause they know they'll get found easily if they do. And yes, criminals don't use their guns 99% of the time, at least in Europe, maybe we don't have the same criminals. And maybe it's because it's legal to have an ak47 in the USA.

Well, maybe you don't have the same criminals...

Then again, I am certain there are areas of Dublin, or Sarajevo, or Glasgow, or Moscova, or Tirana, that you would not be safe to go into unarmed.  Or Napoli, Belgrade, Sophia, Nottingham, or Limerick.
legendary
January 21, 2016, 09:01:52 AM

By these guy logic, you should take example on all the civilized countries that have lower crimes rates, lower deaths by firearms and lower mass shootings (never in fact) and understand that if anyone have a gun, it's not safer that if no one have a gun, except a few violents criminals that don't use it cause they know they'll get found easily if they do. And yes, criminals don't use their guns 99% of the time, at least in Europe, maybe we don't have the same criminals. And maybe it's because it's legal to have an ak47 in the USA.
legendary
January 21, 2016, 08:47:54 AM
did i ever say breaking into homes was all that happens? its just one scenario, i leave it to your common sense to apply the concept to other possible, more general scenarios, that only a gun is going to help stop a gunman.

Could we do the reverse work and think about all the cases in the 11 000 deaths by firearm every year in the USA without any kind of "scenario" justifying the use of guns?
The number of deaths simply because two people are arguing and the rise of violence leads to gun use. Like this wonderful trend of people shooting each other on the roads because they think they're terrible drivers.
i dont know about you, but i dont hear about people shooting each other up full of lead every time they have an argument, and if a gun owner can't keep a cool head, they shouldnt be owning a gun in the first place. the point of owning a firearm is to use as a last resort if deescalating a situation reaches the point of no return. any sensible gun owner should make it their goal to deescalate any conflict at all times. trust me, if people were shooting each other up because they thought they were terrible drivers, my city would have been wiped off of this plane of existence a long time ago.

Oh, and how do you confirm that someone is a responsible and cool headed citizen before giving him a gun?

If you're assertion becomes "let's every intelligent, aware and polite citizen the right to own a gun" I'm 100% with you man. But if only intelligent people own a gun, they're won't be a lot of gun owners xD

And I don't see how you measure it!
im not going to claim i know because i dont, im sure there are others in this thread more knowledgeable on the whole permit / license acquiring process that can say more on the matter though.

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
January 21, 2016, 08:32:33 AM
did i ever say breaking into homes was all that happens? its just one scenario, i leave it to your common sense to apply the concept to other possible, more general scenarios, that only a gun is going to help stop a gunman.

Could we do the reverse work and think about all the cases in the 11 000 deaths by firearm every year in the USA without any kind of "scenario" justifying the use of guns?
The number of deaths simply because two people are arguing and the rise of violence leads to gun use. Like this wonderful trend of people shooting each other on the roads because they think they're terrible drivers.
i dont know about you, but i dont hear about people shooting each other up full of lead every time they have an argument, and if a gun owner can't keep a cool head, they shouldnt be owning a gun in the first place. the point of owning a firearm is to use as a last resort if deescalating a situation reaches the point of no return. any sensible gun owner should make it their goal to deescalate any conflict at all times. trust me, if people were shooting each other up because they thought they were terrible drivers, my city would have been wiped off of this plane of existence a long time ago.

Oh, and how do you confirm that someone is a responsible and cool headed citizen before giving him a gun?

If you're assertion becomes "let's every intelligent, aware and polite citizen the right to own a gun" I'm 100% with you man. But if only intelligent people own a gun, they're won't be a lot of gun owners xD

im not going to claim i know because i dont, im sure there are others in this thread more knowledgeable on the whole permit / license acquiring process that can say more on the matter though.

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
January 21, 2016, 08:23:08 AM
Question of the Day: Is a "Gun Free Zone" Property Owner Responsible for A Disarmed Visitor’s Safety?

"If a Tennessee grocery store bans guns on its property and a black bear or wild hog kills or injures a person who otherwise would be carrying his or her gun," tennessean.com reports, "the gun owner would be allowed to sue the property owner if a newly introduced bill became law."

Uh, I don't think Senator Delores Gresham introduced Senate Bill 1736 to protect licensed gun owners from bear or hog attacks. It makes property owners liable if they disarm someone and that someone gets waylaid by a two-legged varmint. It's an idea that's been floating around TTAG for a while. So, now that it's in play (albeit without a chance of passage) how about it? Good idea? Workable? What?

Read more at http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/robert-farago/question-of-the-day-is-a-gun-free-zone-property-owner-responsible-for-a-disarmed-visitors-safety/.

Smiley
legendary
January 21, 2016, 07:54:39 AM

legendary
January 21, 2016, 07:50:19 AM

legendary
January 21, 2016, 07:43:39 AM

legendary
January 21, 2016, 07:33:15 AM
It's just wrong for civilians to carry weapons.
People that are trained constantly and know and see the repercussions from carrying weapons and the damage they do day in and day out should be the only ones to carry them. Because it takes just one mistake and someone loses their lives.
There are a lot of non-lethal alternatives that can be used for self defense.
lets say mr smith barges into your home with a glock and starts looting the shit out of your place. now, exactly what 'non - lethal alternative' are you doing to use against that? are your hands going to stop those bullets with some strange ESP power? no. are you going to go all star wars up on that glock with a stick? definitely no. is your potato gun going top out do those bullets? no. so exactly is this 'alternative' youre thinking of? because honestly, there really isnt anything that stands up to a gunfight. ever heard the phrase 'you just brought a knife to a gunfight?' pretty applicable here.

I'm not disagreeing with you but my impression was that he was talking about civilians on the street, subways, around town carrying weapons, not home defense.

Just happens i believe we need to address in city defense, as well as home defense.
good point, and concealed carry in public is a matter in itself, i was just using one example of a possible scenario that popped up in my head for this.

It's just wrong for civilians to carry weapons.
People that are trained constantly and know and see the repercussions from carrying weapons and the damage they do day in and day out should be the only ones to carry them. Because it takes just one mistake and someone loses their lives.
There are a lot of non-lethal alternatives that can be used for self defense.
lets say mr smith barges into your home with a glock and starts looting the shit out of your place. now, exactly what 'non - lethal alternative' are you doing to use against that? are your hands going to stop those bullets with some strange ESP power? no. are you going to go all star wars up on that glock with a stick? definitely no. is your potato gun going top out do those bullets? no. so exactly is this 'alternative' youre thinking of? because honestly, there really isnt anything that stands up to a gunfight. ever heard the phrase 'you just brought a knife to a gunfight?' pretty applicable here.

legendary
January 21, 2016, 07:21:01 AM
Even though I don't live in the US. I do think there should be some gun control over there.
It's not a hobby anymore, everyone can own a gun and everyone has easy access to it, it's just way too dangerous

That's different. I rather agree with you, any kind of gun control must be really long term. Cause now that they fucked up and that everybody owns a gun, it's going to be difficult to control anything.

But it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done!
Activity: 47
Merit: 0
January 21, 2016, 07:18:55 AM
Even though I don't live in the US. I do think there should be some gun control over there.
It's not a hobby anymore, everyone can own a gun and everyone has easy access to it, it's just way too dangerous
Jump to: