Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 13. (Read 56015 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 118
January 27, 2018, 09:45:25 AM
Avalon runs on OpenWRT: https://openwrt.org/

They have their own customizations to show their Miner Config and Miner Status tabs.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_pi_foundation/raspberry_pi is the default OpenWRT Pi config

Their webGUI is called "luci" - https://github.com/Canaan-Creative/luci - it is an Apache license, so seems like you could modify it for your uses
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
January 27, 2018, 09:33:53 AM
From what I remember Avalon promised to keep all of its software open sourced. The web site is confusing but they regularly submit pull requests to ck- thru GitHub.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
January 27, 2018, 02:44:05 AM
That's not an option for everyone, especially if you don't want to GPU-mine alts.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 27, 2018, 02:22:32 AM
do what I do just run a pc with a gpu in it the gpu covers all costs.  and you get a free shot at a hit with the usb sticks or in this case the pods.
legendary
January 26, 2018, 11:57:37 PM
I just made a script of the command line in a screen session and dropped a reference in rc.local. Took about ten minutes of various web searches and testing configurations. Something like:

/home/pi/run_cgminer.sh:
screen -dmS run_miner ./vthoang/cgminer/cgminer -o http://solo.ckpool.org -u 1BURGERAX...

rc.local:
su pi -c '/home/pi/run_cgminer.sh &'

That's all from memory so it might not be exact, but the basics. The "su pi" part makes sure the screen session starts with normal user credentials instead of root so you don't have to sudo to find it.

As of right now, both Raspbian and Minera machines are still up and running. Maybe the additional RAM of the Pi3 is good for Minera because it's been up almost 6.5 hours and I don't think I got that kind of uptime out of the old-version-Pi setup I was testing with last week. I moved the SD card straight from one to the other.

Whichever one I think works the best, I'll probably have the image available for download and also have available for sale a Pi and pre-flashed SD card to drop in as a controller. Maybe I'll make both available, if they both wind up being relatively stable. I assume Raspbian would be more stable, but would require basic SSH skills to edit configs and view stats. Which reminds me, I haven't messed with miner.php and API/RPC stuff in a while. Should see about getting that going too.

What's the webconfig stuff Avalon uses? Is that open-source?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
January 26, 2018, 08:20:14 PM
legendary
Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000
January 26, 2018, 06:49:18 PM
Can you show an example of how to do that? I have to reboot my pi daily as it hangs, but I have to start by hand.
Activity: 658
Merit: 118
January 26, 2018, 05:39:17 PM
By the way - got me a couple Pi 3 boards, one running Minera and one with Raspbian Lite. Got Raspbian set up with cgminer running on boot so I can plug them up head-to-head and see if one of them won't lock up and die every couple hours.

Right now I'm not terribly confident about Minera. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that being able to edit the config via webpage is worth dealing with the tons and tons of scripting garbage all over that webpage.

I moved away from Minera to a pure Raspbian for my 2Pacs and haven't looked back. Adding a screen command to my rc.local in case the miner rebooted for whatever reason, and a cron job to restart once a week, but it has been more stable for me than Minera was.
legendary
January 26, 2018, 05:14:17 PM
By the way - got me a couple Pi 3 boards, one running Minera and one with Raspbian Lite. Got Raspbian set up with cgminer running on boot so I can plug them up head-to-head and see if one of them won't lock up and die every couple hours.

Right now I'm not terribly confident about Minera. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that being able to edit the config via webpage is worth dealing with the tons and tons of scripting garbage all over that webpage.
legendary
January 26, 2018, 02:52:08 PM
Probably both.
legendary
Activity: 1109
Merit: 1000
January 26, 2018, 12:53:27 PM
I have one of the 2Pac, and would really like to get one of these pods as well.
Will the "sale" be announced in this thread or a separate "sale" thread?
Activity: 214
1KippERXwH1PdBxKNt1ksgqh89WBv6CtWQ
January 25, 2018, 08:53:55 PM
No preorders. I don't really like them. Some pre-ordering was necessary in the past when I didn't have enough money on hand to fund an initial batch, but you'll note it wasn't preorders in the traditional (within BTC hardware anyways) sense where your order money was used to fund development. That's unacceptable.

Anyways, 2Pac sales the last several months have made that no longer a problem. As soon as I have all the materials in hand and a robot freed up for a day we're gonna start batching these things out. Resellers I'm sure are going to eat them up, but we'll have individual full-kit sales open as well for low-volume purchases. I plan to make at least 500.

You better get the assistant ready to take the orders and keep track.  I am think the turnout for these will be good for you.
copper member
Activity: 970
Merit: 287
Per aspera ad astra
January 25, 2018, 03:26:41 PM
For the earlier questions related to the USB 3.0 compatibility - here's the post / issue. It wasn't related to the hub or sticks directly, issue was with the mobo USB controller.
The fact that it worked for me on the USB 2.0 controller does not mean sidehack's gear isn't working on USB 3.0. So all is good.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
January 25, 2018, 03:07:31 PM
No preorders. I don't really like them. Some pre-ordering was necessary in the past when I didn't have enough money on hand to fund an initial batch, but you'll note it wasn't preorders in the traditional (within BTC hardware anyways) sense where your order money was used to fund development. That's unacceptable.

Anyways, 2Pac sales the last several months have made that no longer a problem. As soon as I have all the materials in hand and a robot freed up for a day we're gonna start batching these things out. Resellers I'm sure are going to eat them up, but we'll have individual full-kit sales open as well for low-volume purchases. I plan to make at least 500.
I'm so in!  Hopefully I can snag one when they go live.
Rock on, sidehack!
legendary
January 25, 2018, 03:03:22 PM

Activity: 177
Merit: 10
January 25, 2018, 12:56:33 PM
So it sounds like you are make great progress with these new models. Do you yet know how orders will work? Do we need to preorder to reserve?

I'd hate to miss the boat because I didn't see the thread update in time...
Activity: 78
Merit: 0
January 24, 2018, 04:29:00 PM
I know for a fact that the 2pacs does not really play nice with USB3 ports. Is it going to be the same for the terminus pods?

I'm using a usb3 hub with no issues, I have 10 2pacs on it at 200mhz.

really?? Lucky you. I remember something about Intel USB3.0 drivers or was it VIA drivers that doesnt really gel well with the 2pacs. i am going to try and find the forum post after work.

I think that has more to do with Windows than the hardware.

No problems with USB3.0 hubs, RPi, 2pacs here.
Activity: 235
January 24, 2018, 12:10:23 PM
I know for a fact that the 2pacs does not really play nice with USB3 ports. Is it going to be the same for the terminus pods?

really?? Lucky you. I remember something about Intel USB3.0 drivers or was it VIA drivers that doesnt really gel well with the 2pacs. i am going to try and find the forum post after work.

Here is my USB 3.0 hub:

This is the post that i was referring to. i guess using a USB 3.0 Hub is a different story

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18979012

I had read thru some of these pages as well but if you continue a few more pages philipma1957 had used a USB 3 hub and it worked, I think he also started a thread on what hub to use. The USB 3 hub was not cheap but I didn't mind investing some of my coins, same goes for the sticks they don't make much but I like to tinker and its more of a hobby to have them.

here is one of his post with the USB 3 hub: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1764803.420

Most 3.0 hubs will work if feed into a 2 port hub,

This goes for compacs,2pacs.

At the moment I am now using a 49 port eyeboot usb.
Usb 2.0 plugged into a Lenovo m700 tiny pc.

I run the cpu in it to nicehash. It earns 43 cents a day about 3 kwatts a day.
The three compacs and one 2pac pull 20watts the pc pulls 50 mining the cpu

So about 25 cents in power.  I clear 18 cents a day.

And sticks point to bravo-mining.
If I hit a block I get a 1 btc bonus.

So I am plus about 70 usd a year .  Even if I never hit a block. Even if bravo-mining never hits a block.

philipma1957

I have to disagree with you about using USB 3, I have the hub on a USB 3 on the computer.
Also When I received my first order of 2 Pacs I used 2 of them on a computer with USB 3's on it and was able to run them at 200Mhz for a short time.
They did get extremely hot since I didn't have any fans set up but the ran for 24 hrs on there with out a problem.

Activity: 223
Merit: 12
January 24, 2018, 02:09:02 AM

I'm running the 49 port Eyeboot as well, plugged into a Raspberry Pi. 13 sticks, running around a total of 260-300 Gh/s. The pi locks up a lot, though...

...and I feel like I'm at max output on the Eyeboot. When a stick drops off or zombies, my hash rate doesn't get affected too badly. I think the other sticks recover the voltage the dead stick isn't using anymore and we chug away just fine. I've been meaning to test with a second, smaller USB hub attached so the Eyeboot isn't as taxed, and see if I can actually bump the hash rate by moving some sticks over, but I've been too busy to do it.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
January 24, 2018, 12:34:02 AM

Here is my USB 3.0 hub:

This is the post that i was referring to. i guess using a USB 3.0 Hub is a different story

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18979012

I had read thru some of these pages as well but if you continue a few more pages philipma1957 had used a USB 3 hub and it worked, I think he also started a thread on what hub to use. The USB 3 hub was not cheap but I didn't mind investing some of my coins, same goes for the sticks they don't make much but I like to tinker and its more of a hobby to have them.

here is one of his post with the USB 3 hub: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1764803.420

Most 3.0 hubs will work if feed into a 2 port hub,

This goes for compacs,2pacs.

I run the cpu in it to nicehash. It earns 43 cents a day about 3 kwatts a day.
The three compacs and one 2pac pull 20watts the pc pulls 50 mining the cpu

So about 25 cents in power.  I clear 18 cents a day.

And sticks point to bravo-mining.
If I hit a block I get a 1 btc bonus.

So I am plus about 70 usd a year .  Even if I never hit a block. Even if bravo-mining never hits a block.
Pages:
Jump to: