Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 17. (Read 56015 times)

Activity: 72
Merit: 0
January 13, 2018, 05:59:27 AM
This is the best start to 2018 Wink
Activity: 6
January 13, 2018, 02:25:36 AM
Hype!

I've enjoyed working with the 2Pac seconds that I got from you a couple weeks ago in my little side project. It's a low-tech diy housing intended to improve airflow over stickminers, incorporating a powered hub and Raspberry Pi 3 (with a few fun extras). Do you have a ballpark of what the approximate dimensions of the finished product might be? If I could make room for one of these babies inside the housing....
Activity: 138
Merit: 102
January 12, 2018, 07:09:35 PM

... I've successfully implemented temperature-based fan throttling, an overtemp shutdown, and string lockup recovery (useful for undervolting), basically from scratch, in ASM, in about 3 days of work. With about 20% the code payload as the last non-working program I got from the outsourced coder ...

Nice!
Activity: 235
Merit: 100
January 12, 2018, 06:12:15 PM
AWESOME SAUCE!!!!  Grin
This is the best news yet!

Will be better once mine gets mailed out.....lol  Tongue
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
1KippERXwH1PdBxKNt1ksgqh89WBv6CtWQ
January 12, 2018, 05:57:40 PM

I just completed a full bench-testing of the Terminus firmware. That's not on an actual working miner, just the controller and necessary parts wired up to an o-scope and some other stuff necessary to simulate inputs. And everything appears to work. So that means I've successfully implemented temperature-based fan throttling, an overtemp shutdown, and string lockup recovery (useful for undervolting), basically from scratch, in ASM, in about 3 days of work. With about 20% the code payload as the last non-working program I got from the outsourced coder, in October. And half that 20% is a bit-banged I2C.

So, I guess I'll be testing it out on actual hardware over the weekend, but things so far are looking good.

You know it's funny, I started this thread because I'd been working on the Terminus silently in the background and it looked to be near completion so I wanted to make a surprise announcement and then start sales shortly after. Too bad my initial tests were apparently flukes and the thing had some stability and reliability issues it took a while to solve. But hey now it's way the heck better.

Nice.  Can't wait to see some pictures
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
January 12, 2018, 05:48:31 PM
Right on, sidehack, that's bitchin' McChicken!
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
January 12, 2018, 05:07:16 PM

I just completed a full bench-testing of the Terminus firmware. That's not on an actual working miner, just the controller and necessary parts wired up to an o-scope and some other stuff necessary to simulate inputs. And everything appears to work. So that means I've successfully implemented temperature-based fan throttling, an overtemp shutdown, and string lockup recovery (useful for undervolting), basically from scratch, in ASM, in about 3 days of work. With about 20% the code payload as the last non-working program I got from the outsourced coder, in October. And half that 20% is a bit-banged I2C.

So, I guess I'll be testing it out on actual hardware over the weekend, but things so far are looking good.

You know it's funny, I started this thread because I'd been working on the Terminus silently in the background and it looked to be near completion so I wanted to make a surprise announcement and then start sales shortly after. Too bad my initial tests were apparently flukes and the thing had some stability and reliability issues it took a while to solve. But hey now it's way the heck better.
legendary
January 12, 2018, 03:57:01 PM
No, it really is.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
January 12, 2018, 03:53:32 PM
I don't think you making 300% on these is criminal sidehack...  IMO miners are hard to come by now, you've put a lot of effort in and a 300% mark up is more  than fair.
Activity: 54
January 12, 2018, 03:20:54 PM
@ $60 I'm down for 4.

forgive my ignorance here guys but will this mine _any_  sha256 coin or just BTC?
It will be able to mine all coins using the SHA-256 algo
Activity: 5
Merit: 1
January 12, 2018, 02:13:25 PM
Would love to throw ~$300 at some of these !
Activity: 73
January 12, 2018, 02:08:30 PM
@ $60 I'm down for 4.

forgive my ignorance here guys but will this mine _any_  sha256 coin or just BTC?
Activity: 42
January 12, 2018, 01:57:03 PM
Depending on the pricepoint and finances when orders are taken, I'm in for at least one, and maybe up to four.

My 2pacs are chomping away. Even though they're seconds, they're still firsts in my mind. Haha.

Activity: 73
January 12, 2018, 12:42:40 PM
yeah, I wand a few of these as well.

Not getting on a high horse here, but do you thing an 8 chip pod miner will ROI in less than a year?

Activity: 126
January 12, 2018, 08:16:34 AM
Looking forward to seeing these!
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
January 12, 2018, 08:13:19 AM
I'm in for at least 1 or 2, depending on the price. I'm a longtime fan of your miners.  Smiley
copper member
Activity: 970
Merit: 287
Per aspera ad astra
January 12, 2018, 02:52:40 AM
- snip-

I'm Interested in the Pods Smiley to Spain

Yup, me too.
I'm assuming MacEntyre (bitshopper.de) will sell them in the EU like it was with the 2Pacs?
Activity: 52
January 12, 2018, 01:26:51 AM
Dude I would like to buy 4 at whatever price you feel is fair! You put so much hard work into these, and we are all ready to support ya!
legendary
January 12, 2018, 12:18:16 AM
You also have to consider non-ASIC costs. 2Pacs are two chips, but also a high-current regulator and USB IO and heatsink and PCB. The Terminus is 8 chips and also a high-current regulator and USB IO and heatsink and PCB. Materials and labor for a 2Pac are higher per unit hash than the Terminus, so a bare Terminus might sell for 2.5 times a 2Pac's price though it has 4 times the hashing chips and about 4 times the hashrate. As the contents of a miner become proportionally more ASIC and less support hardware the price per hash will drop because it's more heavily dependent on the cost of ASICs themselves. However, the price per chip for 16nm versus 28nm probably isn't proportionally higher than the difference in hashrate per chip, so as efficiency increases the price per hash should also drop - at least the actual production cost per hash would drop, which for me means the selling price per hash would drop because I'm not a profit-hungry scammer.

I generally don't consider fixing the price against stock speed, because for anything I build the "stock speed" is mostly just a suggestion and you can set it wherever you want. I'll never build a miner without adjustable clocking and core voltage. What I look more at for pricing is the actual production cost with a reasonable (certainly less than 100%) profit margin.
Activity: 177
Merit: 10
January 12, 2018, 12:06:36 AM
a 100GH machine is about $50.

Maybe you could price it something like that?

Consider that this guy will put up 2/3 the hashrate of an S1 with 1/6 the power cost. Also consider 100GH worth of chips aren't free, especially since anything ASIC now costs 2-4 times what it did a few months ago. I was hoping for a bulk price around $50 on these but now it'll come in more like $100. That's bulk price, not single complete kit price.

Yes, most miners are currently way the heck overpriced. If 2Pacs sell on eBay for $150, this thing would ask $250-300 and that's, to put it frankly, criminal.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Maybe wait until later in the year when I hope to have newer better things available.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that should be the price point - more so the principle of pegging the price to what the stock speed is - whether it's $0.50, $1, $2 or $100 per ghash. Efficiency certainly counts.
Pages:
Jump to: