Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 16. (Read 56015 times)

Activity: 120
Merit: 2
January 17, 2018, 02:30:47 AM
Looks Awesome! Been saving a port in my Raspberry pi for this bad boy. You rock sidehack!
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
January 16, 2018, 06:22:44 PM
That's great!!   Progress is being made in the Sidehack shop Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
January 16, 2018, 06:20:20 PM
http://kano.is/worker.php?a=1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr_TerminusPI

250MHz, 110GH, 4.5 amps (54 watts DC). Hopefully it stays up for a while.

(world's worst photograph from world's cheapest camera, will do better soon)
Activity: 178
Merit: 12
January 16, 2018, 04:02:35 PM
Great work, I want the next version with the New chips when you make them.  Thanks.
Activity: 658
Merit: 118
January 16, 2018, 04:01:53 PM
Yes, this is a fun little toy.

RIP to the BM1384 product development - onto newer chips!
January 16, 2018, 04:00:04 PM
I currently have one self-sufficient miner operating.

That means I've got a Pi (Minera with cgminer-vthoang compiled) powered off the Terminus aux USB jack, running cgminer for the Terminus itself. Only running 200MHz for 88GH, drawing 12V 3.6A so right around 0.5J/GH including the power to drive the Pi. I could turn down the voltage if I wanted, but eh.

If it keeps running well, that should be pretty much everything I need to know. I've already got an updated PCB layout and I'll be ordering a bunch of those later today.

And will probably make some with the existing layout and the jumper hack just a little bit so's we can get these in a few hands. VH will get one pretty much immediately so he can improve software support, specifically handling trip recovery.

Once we get to doling out full kits, I'll see about having an optional Pi with Minera and custom cgminer already installed.

And with that, BM1384 product development is pretty much officially closed. The next miner will use better and faster chips for, hopefully, a much more reasonable price efficiency.

And don't tell anyone I said so, but I'm going to look into compressing some of the onboard features to a future stickminer - trip recovery should greatly reduce "zombie" states, and if we can figure out communication maybe an onboard temp sensor will give readouts in cgminer?

Awesome news!!

Nice work Sidehack.  Looking forward to supporting this project!
legendary
January 16, 2018, 03:48:22 PM
I currently have one self-sufficient miner operating.

That means I've got a Pi (Minera with cgminer-vthoang compiled) powered off the Terminus aux USB jack, running cgminer for the Terminus itself. Only running 200MHz for 88GH, drawing 12V 3.6A so right around 0.5J/GH including the power to drive the Pi. I could turn down the voltage if I wanted, but eh.

If it keeps running well, that should be pretty much everything I need to know. I've already got an updated PCB layout and I'll be ordering a bunch of those later today.

And will probably make some with the existing layout and the jumper hack just a little bit so's we can get these in a few hands. VH will get one pretty much immediately so he can improve software support, specifically handling trip recovery.

Once we get to doling out full kits, I'll see about having an optional Pi with Minera and custom cgminer already installed.

And with that, BM1384 product development is pretty much officially closed. The next miner will use better and faster chips for, hopefully, a much more reasonable price efficiency.

And don't tell anyone I said so, but I'm going to look into compressing some of the onboard features to a future stickminer - trip recovery should greatly reduce "zombie" states, and if we can figure out communication maybe an onboard temp sensor will give readouts in cgminer?
Activity: 1176
Merit: 111
January 16, 2018, 03:16:56 PM
It is just the equivalent of turning on the air conditioning in the summer, and then opening the windows.

I tend to agree, but been making 3x more mining altcoins vs BTC alone. Now, it is like AC in the summer with the window half open. Wink For me, quiet operation is important. So, if we can get 1 TH/s (or close to) using home fan cooling, that works for me.
Activity: 73
Merit: 0
January 16, 2018, 08:24:10 AM
Yeah, that is what I was thinking.  I might consider one, just to support development of the next thing, but I can't see why anyone would want more than one.  If it is going to be in the red, there is really no point in plugging it in.  It is just the equivalent of turning on the air conditioning in the summer, and then opening the windows. 

Thats a shame frankly because it sounds pretty amazing.  Difficulty is just too high for casual miners.

$100 seems a bit steep to me.  Any word on how long to just break even as far as RoI?

-

Ari

You can calculate it. Based on the specs he posted above, the most efficient settings seem to be:

150MHz (66GH) 660mV/node 2.64V total; 12V 2.0A for 24.0W/0.36J/GH

Plugging that into a calculator (I used https://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator) at standard US electric rates gives a net profit of about $24 per year - at current difficulty (which goes up every 2 weeks)

So, unless you have a cheaper source of electricity, they aren't likely to be very profitable if they sell at $100. I'm Ok with that as I'm setting up a solo mine and I'm impressed by sidehack's work, so I'm willing to support him. But at current bitcoin price and difficulty, it will be difficulty to justify a $100 miner unless you have free electricity.

Activity: 235
January 15, 2018, 10:28:04 PM
Forgive me if this was already stated, but will these be standalone units or will they need a controller like a Raspberry Pi? Doesn't change my opinion just don't remember specifically reading it.

Thanks

It was stated earlier that they will need a controller just like the 2Pac.

I believe you will have the option of windows or Pi.
Activity: 61
January 15, 2018, 10:12:20 PM
Forgive me if this was already stated, but will these be standalone units or will they need a controller like a Raspberry Pi? Doesn't change my opinion just don't remember specifically reading it.

Thanks
January 15, 2018, 07:17:00 PM
So, looks like I may need to make a change to the board after all. Having trouble driving one of the lines I need to be able to toggle to force shutdown/reset on overtemp or string lockup. I have a clever workaround in mind that'd mean a slight PCB change, but for the ones I already have a bunch of it'd mostly mean about a one-inch jumper wire on top. If everything works as expected.

Should be testing on that this afternoon.

If it works, maybe I'll start making some of these.

Things are moving in the right direction!

I volunteer to run a few of the ones needing the jumper, and test. Smiley
Activity: 126
Merit: 1
January 15, 2018, 07:16:40 PM
I'm down for 2-3 of these around $100-$110 when they're ready. Maybe 4 so I can gift one to a newbie and help spread interest in the cause.

I'm totally a newbie! Never mineded before ever... just ignore my username....

Ha. Just kidding. That's awesome you are willing to donate to friends and show them how it works. Mining is great for converting people, that's how I got my wife interested in crypto. Kudos to you!

Miner wife?  You're a lucky man!
legendary
January 15, 2018, 05:21:07 PM
So, looks like I may need to make a change to the board after all. Having trouble driving one of the lines I need to be able to toggle to force shutdown/reset on overtemp or string lockup. I have a clever workaround in mind that'd mean a slight PCB change, but for the ones I already have a bunch of it'd mostly mean about a one-inch jumper wire on top. If everything works as expected.

Should be testing on that this afternoon.

If it works, maybe I'll start making some of these.
Activity: 177
Merit: 10
January 15, 2018, 02:17:53 PM
I'm down for 2-3 of these around $100-$110 when they're ready. Maybe 4 so I can gift one to a newbie and help spread interest in the cause.

I'm totally a newbie! Never mineded before ever... just ignore my username....

Ha. Just kidding. That's awesome you are willing to donate to friends and show them how it works. Mining is great for converting people, that's how I got my wife interested in crypto. Kudos to you!
Activity: 177
Merit: 10
January 15, 2018, 02:15:31 PM
$100 seems a bit steep to me.  Any word on how long to just break even as far as RoI?

-

Ari

You can calculate it. Based on the specs he posted above, the most efficient settings seem to be:

150MHz (66GH) 660mV/node 2.64V total; 12V 2.0A for 24.0W/0.36J/GH

Plugging that into a calculator (I used https://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator) at standard US electric rates gives a net profit of about $24 per year - at current difficulty (which goes up every 2 weeks)

So, unless you have a cheaper source of electricity, they aren't likely to be very profitable if they sell at $100. I'm Ok with that as I'm setting up a solo mine and I'm impressed by sidehack's work, so I'm willing to support him. But at current bitcoin price and difficulty, it will be difficulty to justify a $100 miner unless you have free electricity.

Activity: 73
January 15, 2018, 01:35:07 PM

-

Ari

January 15, 2018, 01:11:13 PM

Exactly what I'll be doing too.   I plan to buy 5, and gift 2 to a few friends who've shown interest
Activity: 223
Merit: 12
January 15, 2018, 03:21:53 AM
Activity: 32
January 13, 2018, 08:51:25 AM
I would like 4 im in the UK if this an option to deliver here
Pages:
Jump to: