Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do people think income tax is ok? - page 7. (Read 17853 times)

legendary
Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006
February 13, 2014, 12:07:34 PM
Income tax and property tax are immoral.

Taxation in and of itself is a necessity but as a society we need to always evolve to the lesser of any two evils. For example, paying a tax while you use something or buy some types of things is ok as you are getting a benefit in your use of a road for example and in your use of the ecosystem supported by regulation.

I support VAT tax and sales tax 100%, but not WITH income tax and property tax.

Elect me as dictator of the USA for six months and I will fix taxation in the US for the better, it will never get fixed without a dictator.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
February 13, 2014, 12:00:08 PM
I see now some people have no problem with returning to societies where those unable to fend for themselves are left to die in the streets.

You fail to see that compassion and generosity are completely independent from government and the power to tax.

Anybody is free to help anyone else voluntarily, but they shouldn't expect the right to stick their hand in others' pockets to do it.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
February 13, 2014, 04:44:52 AM
It's not what I meant. My point is a reaction to the idea that income tax makes the world a nice place where's everybody's safe and happy.

Income tax makes the world a nice place where the bankers and politicians are safe and happy
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
February 12, 2014, 08:39:59 PM
The power to tax is the power to destroy. I think income tax and property tax are just wrong. What do you think?

I think you should go live in somalia

I think you should go live in Somalia and spew your statist fallacies from their sitting government's facilities.
Activity: 4
Merit: 100
February 07, 2014, 01:40:59 PM
The power to tax is the power to destroy. I think income tax and property tax are just wrong. What do you think?
The people do not think about that because they are disarmed. The short answer: because of fear to end in prison or fear of death. That's why 2nd Amendment exists in America. To protect the people from their own government when it becomes despotic.

It's a good job that the militias are so well-regulated, otherwise they wouldn't stand a chance against dem predator drones Wink
Activity: 126
February 12, 2014, 08:19:45 PM

I think you should go live in somalia
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
February 12, 2014, 07:26:07 PM

You know what, I'm out of this thread.

I see now some people have no problem with returning to societies where those unable to fend for themselves are left to die in the streets.

Fortunately I believe these people are in the minority.

Good luck with your infantile libertarian wankfest.

Sorry to correct you, but you don't know the world you're living in. We are the majority.

In India and on most of Africa, there are thousands dying in the streets everyday. According to the U.N. there are 842 million people who do not have enough to eat. I know many people are just dreamers, and the news only confirm this: the U.S. House just once again raised the debt limit. I'm proud to say I'm standing on my two feet while you're sitting on hot air.

How exactly does people starving by the millions equate in any way to them agreeing with you?

It's not what I meant. My point is a reaction to the idea that income tax makes the world a nice place where's everybody's safe and happy. This is not the case. There are very heavy taxes in Spain, France, Greece and all those countries have huge and growing debt. And more than one billion people live with less than $2 a day. So I guess it was worth trying the idea of an income tax, but it just doesn't work. It may have been good for a while, but in the long term, it's simply not sustainable, and the world will get back to what it was before income tax was invented. I'm ready for it.
February 03, 2014, 08:18:07 AM
If you base your argument around one part of a whole set of changes, then it's going to be imbalanced. Well spotted.  Roll Eyes

Ok, I was tired and that was lazy. But seriously, wealthy individuals and large corporations pay the majority of tax. So straight off the bat, any of the proposals previously mentioned that "reduce the size of govt", "end inefficiency" or "get rid of middle-men" will primarily benefit the wealthy. Regarding your other points:

the alternative is that no-one is allowed to possess more money than anyone else

No. This is the main thing that confuses me about hardline communists and anarchists alike - it's not a choice between complete state-enforced equality of outcome and the law of the jungle. There is a vast middle ground wherein lies a system of government that minimises suffering, maximises opportunity, and still allows people to enjoy the fruits of their own labour and ingenuity.

... it's a case of removing the rules that create excessive barriers to everybody ... The amount of rules applying to all types of businesses are over-zealous

I would argue that small businesses are better off with strong government than they would be otherwise. Admittedly I can't speak for the US, but in my country the government supports small businesses and does a great deal to protect them from the anti-competitive practices of large corporations. The government provides low-interest loans only available to small businesses, provides mentors, financial advisers and tax assistance for young entrepreneurs, and regulates take-overs and mergers to prevent monopoly building. In my eyes, this is a far freer market than there would be without government - freedom for the wolves means death for the lambs, and old lions kill the offspring of rivals before they are grown.

Educate people in a way that sparks their imagination and develops their reasoning skills. Learning factual information is pretty boring without allowing people the chance to use the facts in different contexts. And that's how kids at school learn today, for the overwhelming amount of time (no wonder so many dislike it).

I agree with you here, if I understand what you're saying. Education must be the single biggest priority of our time, and it is the key to ending poverty and empowering people. It is also incredibly difficult, and if you think that good teachers don't already want to "spark imagination and develop reasoning skills", then you're doing them a disservice. Truly, the biggest barrier to universal high-quality education is money. In my country state-school teachers are poorly paid and little thanked, which puts off the best minds from entering the profession. Those heroes who do it anyway struggle without resources in run-down buildings, with far too many children per teacher. The best teachers are skimmed off by private schools who often pay more than double what the state will, but of course cater only to those whose parents can afford it. The state should double, or triple, their spending on schools until the finest graduates of top universities are fighting to become teachers in the same way they fight to become doctors or lawyers, and until the poorest child in the country can receive a better education at a state school than the child of a baronet can at Eton College. Good luck doing it without tax.
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071
February 11, 2014, 07:34:34 PM

Sorry to correct you, but you don't know the world you're living in. We are the majority.

In India and on most of Africa, there are thousands dying in the streets everyday. According to the U.N. there are 842 million people who do not have enough to eat. I know many people are just dreamers, and the news only confirm this: the U.S. House just once again raised the debt limit. I'm proud to say I'm standing on my two feet while you're sitting on hot air.

How exactly does people starving by the millions equate in any way to them agreeing with you?
legendary
February 11, 2014, 07:06:21 PM

legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
February 11, 2014, 05:12:14 PM

Good luck with your counter-reality wankfest where nobody is privately charitable and all assistance for the needy has to be obtained at gunpoint.
February 02, 2014, 07:20:13 PM
The amount you'd spare by not having an income tax in most cases wouldn't be enough to pay for education, healthcare, and so on.

Let's put it to the test. The income tax is the biggest part of tax revenue for most governments.

Oh come on. Yes, income tax is the biggest slice of government income, but the top 10% of earners pay 50% of it. If you abolish it, most of the money will go to people who can already afford everything they need. You don't need to 'try it', just look at who is paying what now.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
February 11, 2014, 10:47:29 AM
[...]
I say you can choose yours, if you let me choose mine. Tolerant.

You say my way won't work. And that it's morally wrong. No-one should be allowed to choose this way. Pretty intolerant.
[...]

But you live within a society, the choice isn't yours alone. Further, those who would benefit most from some form of social safety-net as you put it, are usually those who have the most difficulty making their needs heard.

The idea of giving people more responsibility is quite popular, so it's not just me and the others here. Why not empower the socially dependent in society to be able to live in a way with the minimum of help? This is a very common thing you hear from people with physical disabilities; they value the freedom to be able to live as independent a life as they can.

I'm friends with somebody who is disabled. I met him because we both worked at the same place.

In one sense you are correct: I am 100% sure that he values his ability to make his own way and work as a capable employee of the company.

In another sense I think you do not see how much "dependent members of society" *need* help. He has an apartment that is provided by the government at a reduced rate, with all of the extra accessibility to support his disability (he's in a wheelchair). I am almost certain that without help from the state, even with his decent job's salary he would not be able to afford the apartment.

Without the "safety net" -- which in millions of cases is not a complete safety net, but a helping hand to ensure people have a decent standard of living because DESPITE the fact they can work, they still cannot afford that standard of living -- he would not have this opportunity.

You talk a lot about how we shouldn't be able to impose our beliefs on others. But we have this system in place *right now*. If you had your way, you would *take this away* from my friend. Are you OK with this?

Yes, I would be very comfortable with this, because I'm not entitled to what your friend has. I've burned my social security card in 1991, and I have no healthcare in the country I'm currently staying. Most people living in rich countries can't imagine it, but billions of men, women and children in Asia and Africa live without healthcare paid for by the government, and there's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is the culture of entitlement that so many have in rich countries. People believing that they belong to a superior species and that there should an even superior entity, the state, which will provide for all their basic needs and well-being. That superior entity, your country, it's an invention, and it doesn't work. It's failing everywhere, without rising deficits in every country.

There are more and more people on benefits and pensioners and less and less people to pay for them, so this whole redistribution system is doomed, and I'm happy not to be a part of it.

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
February 10, 2014, 07:40:08 AM
Income tax is ok but not if the tax is use to fund wars...

All the wars are funded by tax money.... including the recent American invasion of Iraq.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
February 09, 2014, 08:58:59 PM
Income tax is ok but not if the tax is use to fund wars...
legendary
February 09, 2014, 08:37:58 PM
[...]
I say you can choose yours, if you let me choose mine. Tolerant.

You say my way won't work. And that it's morally wrong. No-one should be allowed to choose this way. Pretty intolerant.
[...]

But you live within a society, the choice isn't yours alone. Further, those who would benefit most from some form of social safety-net as you put it, are usually those who have the most difficulty making their needs heard.

The idea of giving people more responsibility is quite popular, so it's not just me and the others here. Why not empower the socially dependent in society to be able to live in a way with the minimum of help? This is a very common thing you hear from people with physical disabilities; they value the freedom to be able to live as independent a life as they can.

I'm friends with somebody who is disabled. I met him because we both worked at the same place.

In one sense you are correct: I am 100% sure that he values his ability to make his own way and work as a capable employee of the company.

In another sense I think you do not see how much "dependent members of society" *need* help. He has an apartment that is provided by the government at a reduced rate, with all of the extra accessibility to support his disability (he's in a wheelchair). I am almost certain that without help from the state, even with his decent job's salary he would not be able to afford the apartment.

Without the "safety net" -- which in millions of cases is not a complete safety net, but a helping hand to ensure people have a decent standard of living because DESPITE the fact they can work, they still cannot afford that standard of living -- he would not have this opportunity.

You talk a lot about how we shouldn't be able to impose our beliefs on others. But we have this system in place *right now*. If you had your way, you would *take this away* from my friend. Are you OK with this?

Yes, I would be very comfortable with this, because I'm not entitled to what your friend has. I've burned my social security card in 1991, and I have no healthcare in the country I'm currently staying. Most people living in rich countries can't imagine it, but billions of men, women and children in Asia and Africa live without healthcare paid for by the government, and there's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is the culture of entitlement that so many have in rich countries. People believing that they belong to a superior species and that there should an even superior entity, the state, which will provide for all their basic needs and well-being. That superior entity, your country, it's an invention, and it doesn't work. It's failing everywhere, without rising deficits in every country.

There are more and more people on benefits and pensioners and less and less people to pay for them, so this whole redistribution system is doomed, and I'm happy not to be a part of it.
Activity: 658
Small Red and Bad
February 09, 2014, 08:06:57 PM
Income tax is good
I have to disagree. There is nothing good about it, it's just pure communism. Income tax basically says: "you are smart, hard working, prospering person - pay more so we can take your money and redistribute (give it away on things that are important to us). You are a lazy, wife beating, alcoholic - we will give you social benefits, rehabilitation and help you pay taxes, because you are sick and need the society's help.
Activity: 728
February 09, 2014, 01:44:28 PM
He asked *why*.
Rephrasing: Why do you think slavery is good for you?
Provide some good reasons to be a slave to your master.

Because he is better than some asshole I would have without him...

I have no desire to go back to serfdom...
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
February 09, 2014, 12:24:59 PM
He asked *why*.
Rephrasing: Why do you think slavery is good for you?
Provide some good reasons to be a slave to your master.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1009
February 09, 2014, 12:03:44 PM
Income tax is good
Pages:
Jump to: