Pages:
Author

Topic: Why is NXT not the number 2 coin? - page 3. (Read 16884 times)

Activity: 251
Merit: 250
January 13, 2016, 06:32:08 AM

Does NXT have a plan to be used by general public, retailers or B2B? If so, it could increase its reach in the society.

Last year the community crowdfunded (using the NXT platform of course) about EUR 70k in donations, if I remember correctly, for a marketing initiative Project Tennessee. Also to develop use cases for businesses.
https://nxtforum.org/general-discussion/(marketing-business-and-development)-the-tennessee-project-fundraiser/

Still, it's difficult to get any exposure when you're a decentralized and partly anonymous community, no famous names or faces, no VC millions to spend Wink
Activity: 606
Merit: 513
January 13, 2016, 06:10:50 AM
The success of coins is based a lot on adoption, and for a coin to be adopted by more people it is good to keep it simple and easy to begin using it. I feel NXT (and also Ethereum) are too complicated to get working. Of course not for techy guys, but go try to explain your regular pc user friend how to put NXT to work (not to mention to explain its features).

Even with Bitcoin, which has lots of online wallets and services to make things easier, it is hard for regular people to use it.

If you compare the NXT to Etherium - the first is incomparably easier and more convenient for the end user. In addition, the already "here and now" NXT offers a set of functions to work well. NXT client is easy to install for any user, even more so - it is now implemented as a simple and easy installers for all platforms.

P.S. But yes - marketing "lame" I hope the situation is corrected

Does NXT have a plan to be used by general public, retailers or B2B? If so, it could increase its reach in the society.

Now the community works on advance of a coin. Marketing and advertizing programs for 2016, plus further development of a functionality for real use were declared.
Activity: 95
Merit: 10
January 13, 2016, 05:44:40 AM
The success of coins is based a lot on adoption, and for a coin to be adopted by more people it is good to keep it simple and easy to begin using it. I feel NXT (and also Ethereum) are too complicated to get working. Of course not for techy guys, but go try to explain your regular pc user friend how to put NXT to work (not to mention to explain its features).

Even with Bitcoin, which has lots of online wallets and services to make things easier, it is hard for regular people to use it.

If you compare the NXT to Etherium - the first is incomparably easier and more convenient for the end user. In addition, the already "here and now" NXT offers a set of functions to work well. NXT client is easy to install for any user, even more so - it is now implemented as a simple and easy installers for all platforms.

Activity: 606
Merit: 513
January 13, 2016, 04:47:57 AM

January 12, 2016, 10:24:36 AM
Because what nerds here usually can't realize is that tech has nothing to do with the success of the coin  Wink
Depends. I imagine when a company needs a private/whitelabel blockchain, the tech is important. And they'd rather use or clone (or license) the NXT tech than the DOGE tech Wink
Activity: 95
January 12, 2016, 05:56:09 AM
Ehtereum is going to be PoS within a year, that will be a big competition to NXT.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
January 12, 2016, 04:06:16 AM
Because what nerds here usually can't realize is that tech has nothing to do with the success of the coin  Wink
January 12, 2016, 03:19:13 AM
Yep, habraken, you ain't wrong. We are working (well, arguing about) a ' Simple/Advanced view' implementation in the client, and there are a couple of fairly simple routes to achieve that......stay tuned, we should have something happeining soon(ish) on that front.

That would be great, can't wait for the market cap go up again and stay where it rightfully belongs.

Yeah, but I don't think a lot of people try to install the client, and then uninstall it and leave NXT because at first glance it seems too complex.
CMC = mostly traders and speculators imo. So I don't expect much (or any) impact on marketcap by showing a simpler client by default.
Activity: 393
Merit: 297
January 12, 2016, 02:30:43 AM
Yep, habraken, you ain't wrong. We are working (well, arguing about) a ' Simple/Advanced view' implementation in the client, and there are a couple of fairly simple routes to achieve that......stay tuned, we should have something happeining soon(ish) on that front.

That would be great, can't wait for the market cap go up again and stay where it rightfully belongs.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1001
January 11, 2016, 07:41:04 PM
January 11, 2016, 04:03:47 PM
Too early for the general public anyway. Who used email in the early nineties? Unless there's some sudden killer feature (maybe poker?) crypto at the moment should be aimed at IT/finance geeks imo.

And yes, the default NXT client has developed many features and menus and buttons these couple of years. Ranging from basic coin functions (like any crypto) to assets, messaging, marketplace, monetary system coins, etc etc. It does need a new button imo, called ' Simple/Advanced view' Tongue http://nxt.org/demo
Activity: 104
January 11, 2016, 10:21:43 AM
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
January 11, 2016, 10:02:57 AM

Activity: 105
January 11, 2016, 09:48:12 AM
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000
January 11, 2016, 02:48:15 AM
January 10, 2016, 01:34:27 PM
NXT just had a new release and has some really interesting features.  If everything else could come together for it, it could do well.

Yes, I found this at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/nxt-17-complete-toolset-bas-wisselink

The NXT 1.7 branch is about to go live. After four so called "experimental" versions that ran on the NXT Testnet, NXT 1.7.4 has been released for the main net on the 1st of January and its functions will go live after a hard fork on the 21st of January.

The 1.7 branch improves on several issues that users brought to the attention of the developers. Probably the most anticipated is the improvements that have been made to the block time algorithm, which will all but eliminate the dreaded "long blocks" that blockchain systems sometimes experience. NXT 1.7.4 will cut block times to approximately 60 seconds. Other tweaks are UI enhancements and an overhaul of the NXT Data Cloud system (implemented in the 1.5 branch last year), the instant execution of certain transactions once a vote is decided and the spreading of larger fees over blocks. Apart from tweaks, the 1.7 branch will include new feature that will allow you to use NXT in new ways:

• Coin Shuffling, a fully decentralized coin mixing, to improve account privacy.
  • Account Control for phased transactions, the Nxt equivalent of multisignature.
  • Account Properties, assigning arbitrary name/value metadata to user accounts by both account owners and other users of the network.
  • Singleton Assets, for representing single tradeable objects.
  • Data Cloud, a decentralized, censorship-free and tamper-proof publication and retrieval of small files, documents, or arbitrary data.

NXT continues to expand its feature set into directly usable features for developers.

Coin Shuffling is the first truly decentralised feature of its kind. Whereas for bitcoin you would need to trust an external party to do your mixing for you, starting with the 1.7 branch, this is an in-built feature of NXT. The shuffling algorithm is based on a paper by Tim Ruffing at al. and has been audited by Tim Ruffing himself. Coin Shuffling allows NXT to take on the nature of cash if users choose to want to use it in this way, in that they will be able to use their coins without them being traceable. Shuffling also ensures NXT will remain fungible.
Account Control allows users to set up their accounts in such a way that transactions can only be executed after a previously determined form of Vote. This has the advantage of massively increasing account security, and also allows setting up accounts for companies. By using the "Vote by Asset" feature, it is possible to let Asset holders directly be involved in company spendings, for instance.
Account Properties allow both the user and other parties to assign values to NXT accounts. This means it is possible to "tag" accounts in any way you want. Properties can only be changed by the account that assigned them.
Singleton Assets are a specific class of Asset for non divisible virtual unique objects.
Data Cloud allows you to upload and store up to 42k of data on the blockchain. To avoid bloat the data is by default stored for two weeks only , but can optionally be stored longer or indefinitely by some nodes, and can be verified against the blockchain even after expiration.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
mining is so 2012-2013
January 10, 2016, 01:03:56 PM
NXT just had a new release and has some really interesting features.  If everything else could come together for it, it could do well.
Activity: 322
January 10, 2016, 11:37:12 AM
So you are down to crowdfunding... or platforms like NXT.

Did you know you can do trustless crowd funding in Nxt's Monetary System?

i.e. Say you want to raise 200k NXT with a deadline in 30 days time. People put up the money bit by bit and it is all held by the protocol (a trustless escrow). The dev can't run away with it part way through the process.

When the deadline comes, the protocol checks if the amount raised is 200k or more. If it is, the 200k NXT is released to you for your successfully funded project and tokens representing a stake in your project are sent to the funders (optional, I believe). If less than 200k, then all NXT are returned to those who sent them. All trustlessly and all for a cost of 40 NXT Grin

But no one does, not counting the 1000s of scams currently listed on the hardly ever used asset exchange.

I mean the NXT technology is simply fantastic, but it needs PROPER Advertising.  A new website isn't going to do shit to help promote a niche cryptocurrency in this microcosm of a niche we already exist in.

It seems there is no shop accepting the NXT. Apart from being exchanged to other coins, does it have practical usage?

The infrastrucure behind NXT is good, i've used it and sure it uses a lot of resources but it's stable.
The problem though is that too much is focused on coding instead of marketing.
Activity: 118
Merit: 100
A Programmer
January 10, 2016, 11:36:27 AM
NXT has become the benchmark for the features it have and propose, but unfortunately it take too much time to be adapted by the general audience, with a lot of alt-coin and discoveries popping up each seconds, this coin got abandoned by the crowd seeking for the more prettier, bigger, and glorious alt-coin public announcements
Activity: 638
Merit: 300
January 10, 2016, 09:08:31 AM
So you are down to crowdfunding... or platforms like NXT.

Did you know you can do trustless crowd funding in Nxt's Monetary System?

i.e. Say you want to raise 200k NXT with a deadline in 30 days time. People put up the money bit by bit and it is all held by the protocol (a trustless escrow). The dev can't run away with it part way through the process.

When the deadline comes, the protocol checks if the amount raised is 200k or more. If it is, the 200k NXT is released to you for your successfully funded project and tokens representing a stake in your project are sent to the funders (optional, I believe). If less than 200k, then all NXT are returned to those who sent them. All trustlessly and all for a cost of 40 NXT Grin

But no one does, not counting the 1000s of scams currently listed on the hardly ever used asset exchange.

I mean the NXT technology is simply fantastic, but it needs PROPER Advertising.  A new website isn't going to do shit to help promote a niche cryptocurrency in this microcosm of a niche we already exist in.

It seems there is no shop accepting the NXT. Apart from being exchanged to other coins, does it have practical usage?
Pages:
Jump to: