Pages:
Author

Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9 - page 23. (Read 60442 times)

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
How is it not personal information to know what he is doing with his money/bitcoins? He's broken no laws (at least none I'm concerned with) and has just as much expectation to privacy as much as anyone else. I can understand wondering, but going so far as to think you deserve to know?

Hijacking others' hardware and stealing their electricity is fine for you? And doing that in order to steal boatloads of blocks from legit miners?
The guy is a fucking criminal that should be lynched a.s.a.p.

So having a large hashrate is a crime now? Last I heard people are innocent until proven guilty, finding out if he is breaking the law is someone else's job, and finding out the details of their finances is for them to do. That said, sure he's probably running a botnet, so send a letter about it to the appropriate legal agency if you want to do something about it. Doesn't mean you can violate his privacy.  
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
How is it not personal information to know what he is doing with his money/bitcoins? He's broken no laws (at least none I'm concerned with) and has just as much expectation to privacy as much as anyone else. I can understand wondering, but going so far as to think you deserve to know?

Hijacking others' hardware and stealing their electricity is fine for you? And doing that in order to steal boatloads of blocks from legit miners?
We have NO evidence that any botnet is operating, and most certainly no evidence that would be admissible in a court of law.
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
On another note, looks like we have a new ip doing no transaction blocks.

http://blockchain.info/blocks/95.172.9.82
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
It seems to me that asking if some blocks have been cashed out is not asking for some personal info.
If you aren't able to follow the blocks yourself using the blockchain/blockexplorer/ABE, etc, then you shouldn't even be posting. You are asking for information that mtgox may have, but disclosing it is in violation of their privacy policy and privacy requirements of pretty much any jurisdiction. Therefore, even if they had info they sure as hell are not going to tell you anything without a court order. And have fun getting a court order with ~no evidence of wrongdoing.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
I have not been here long but I have been a computer tech for over 15 years. I am currently mining with about 8gh/s and would like to keep expanding. My concerns with this
situation might mean very little to some but i thinks most honest miners would feel the same way. This person is more than likely to have infected more computers then I can imagine.
I have cleaned computers infected to the point they are almost useless. Yes I know that these infected probably don't effect the performance like a regular virus.Still the fact that innocent people are being subjected to theft and paying for this asshole to profit is a disgrace to BTC in my opinion. Do we really want BTC associated with this criminal activity?Stealing CPU and GPU cycles and having thousands of innocent people foot the bill is just plan wrong. I don't think BTC would ever be accepted on a larger scale with a big portion on the so called security being done by the world biggest stolen bot net. I do have a problem with this and would like to know how other true miners feel and not speculators.I don't know the laws in any place but USA but this is criminal here in the states.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
I agree with you here, so we can ask MtGox: are those blocks being cashed out or not?

Without asking for name, surname, address and so on.

What makes you think you have the right to ANY transaction information on any customer?

I don't have any right, maybe we, as the bitcoin comunity community, have some more rights.

I don't know, we are here because we all like to know what's going on.

It seems to me that asking if some blocks have been cashed out is not asking for some personal info.

spiccioli

legendary
Activity: 1378
Merit: 1003
nec sine labore
I agree with you here, so we can ask MtGox: are those blocks being cashed out or not?

What makes you think you have the right to ANY transaction information on any customer?

I don't have any right, maybe we, as the bitcoin comunity community, have some more rights.

I don't know, we are here because we all like to know what's going on.

spiccioli
vip
I'm pretty sure ineededausername has code that can

1. Put together a list of mtgox addresses.
2. See if any of the block mined by MM have gone to any of those addresses.

If these coins are going into gox, they are also going out.

I have a feeling that our MM is NOT cashing out his coins though.

Maybe someone can put together a list of 1 tx blocks mined by our new buddy?
Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
Or just look at the block chain if something will be done with the blocks.
Activity: 896
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
this is being watched closely and there are currently being ideas discussed to force/entice rogue miners like this to include transactions into their blocks

I would not hang yourself with an ethernet cable just yet. From what I understand this problem will be addressed.

so in other words. CHILL. Wink

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

legendary
nec sine labore

Next step could be asking mtgox if they're receiving BTC from the blocks mined by MM...

spiccioli

Is that really a road we want to go down?

I don't think so. And anyway: from a bitcoin perspective there are no "laws" against using a botnet to mine, are there? Neither are there any "laws" against tx-free blocks. The "laws" of bitcoin (bitcoin in terms of the blockchain) are the rules governing the blockchain implemented in the majority of the mining nodes.

If anyone wants to go after the botnet operator/owner through legal system, they are free to do so, but don't count on mtgox disclosing info without a court requiring them to do so.

molecular,

I know he is not "breaking" bitcoin laws, but Eligius destroyed an alt chain just mining empty blocks.

If MM keeps growing and he is not cashing coins than he is here to destroy bitcoin (I don't think he is hoarding for his retirement).

If he is cashing then, maybe, he will stop growing at a certain point.

I think MtGox, without telling us who he is, could at least tell us if those coins are cashed out or not.

spiccioli.

If this attack works (in the sense that it really is one and we fail to stop it) I want it to work now, not in 5 years when the harm is probably much more substantial (I mean harm to society, not harm to bitcoin itself)

We better make bitcoin as solid as possible before we really depend on it. People like Luke-Jr and ArtForz attacking alt-chains is part of this hardening-process.

Ok molecular,

spiccioli
vip
* gigavps thinks he got everyone fired up this morning.  Wink
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

Next step could be asking mtgox if they're receiving BTC from the blocks mined by MM...

spiccioli

I don't think so. And anyway: from a bitcoin perspective there are no "laws" against using a botnet to mine, are there? Neither are there any "laws" against tx-free blocks. The "laws" of bitcoin (bitcoin in terms of the blockchain) are the rules governing the blockchain implemented in the majority of the mining nodes.

If anyone wants to go after the botnet operator/owner through legal system, they are free to do so, but don't count on mtgox disclosing info without a court requiring them to do so.

molecular,

I know he is not "breaking" bitcoin laws, but Eligius destroyed an alt chain just mining empty blocks.

If MM keeps growing and he is not cashing coins than he is here to destroy bitcoin (I don't think he is hoarding for his retirement).

I think MtGox, without telling us who he is, could at least tell us if those coins are cashed out or not.

spiccioli.

If this attack works (in the sense that it really is one and we fail to stop it) I want it to work now, not in 5 years when the harm is probably much more substantial (I mean harm to society, not harm to bitcoin itself)

We better make bitcoin as solid as possible before we really depend on it. People like Luke-Jr and ArtForz attacking alt-chains is part of this hardening-process.
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
Either we ask mtgox or we try to find out on our own we are already acting like police officers.
The Magical Mystery Miner have done a lot of work to stay anonymous. Why would he suddenly give his credentials to the biggest entity in the bitcoinsphere? All the Magical Mystery Miner blocks I've seen so far have unspent generation transactions anyway.

Someone yesterday port-scanned the IP, now what are we going to do?

Do we try to break in into one of the nodes?

Send abuse emails?
Calm down. These are just regular Bitcoin users relaying blocks and transactions like they're supposed to do. It could be my node, or it could be yours. We already know that DeepBit and Eligius have relayed the Magical Mystery Miner's blocks to BlockChain.info.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
On the bitcoin.org site:
Bitcoin uses peer-to-peer technology to operate with no central authority
To me it sounds a little bit strange to ask anyone to play authority.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Mt Gox shouldn't tell anyone anything about any account without a court order.   I mean come on people see the forrest from the trees.  Would you be happy if your local bank shared information on your transactions because some people online wanted to know some answers?

Really?  Anyone think Mt.Gox becoming the Police and/or sharing financial info with people on a forum is a GOOD THING for Bitcoin?  Really?

Mt.Gox has to comply with the law and that requires anti-money laundering and KYC laws but there is nothing that requires them to provide transaction transparency to anyone.  Any info Mt.Gox has on customers isn't THEIRS TO SHARE.  Period. If you want info from Mt. Gox then get a fracking court order.  
legendary
nec sine labore

spiccioli

molecular,

spiccioli.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
It's seems to me like a case of counterfeiting (even if it's not, actually). The point being that someone is already "printing" a large part of the monetary supply at almost no cost for him compared to legit miners.

"No Cost"?!? I think you're underestimating the cost of coding, acquiring, maintaining and "using up" a botnet.

Botnets don't grow on trees.
Pages:
Jump to: