Pages:
Author

Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9 - page 21. (Read 60441 times)

Activity: 313
Merit: 251
Third score
Has there been any proof at all that this is a botnet? Why are people getting so "up in arms" without solid proof?

Not really.

It could be that the CIO of HP (or IBM or Dell) found out about BTC and pushed a "management software" update to all the company's managed hosts, and all the customer managed hosts. The low profile required for such software would explain the lack of transaction processing.

It could be a drug cartel (some of these guys have more money than governments do) that wants to setup a competing site to crush the Silk Road and would definitely want to be able to manipulate BTC price. So they hire a few geeks, get them to sign a nice NDA punished by death, setup a huge distributed mining farm, and obviously don't give a shit about transaction processing. ArtForz comes to mind, he hasn't been around for a month and a half.  Wink

If you haven't put your tinfoil hat on, please put it on now:

It might as well be a government, the IMF, the IIF or whatever else would justify a tinfoil hat.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Has there been any proof at all that this is a botnet? Why are people getting so "up in arms" without solid proof?

No I don't think there is any proof yet but it's hard to imagine any other way to have so much hashing power. Yes most are jumping the gun myself included. It's better to be aware and wrong then be blind sided. If we are wrong well I'll be the first to apologize to the unknown miner. Until then we need to work together to make sure BTC is always shown in good light with good company.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
What kind of arms are we talkin bout??

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Because this iz the Internetz!!!!!     Grin
..Damn I wish he was close so I could pound the shit out of him..

GROSS, pervert!! Wink

Well it takes a pussy to fuck over mom and grandma so I'd say he/she deserves to get pounded. Don't think he/she would enjoy it though. Grin
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
..Damn I wish he was close so I could pound the shit out of him..

GROSS, pervert!! Wink
donator
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
As D&T and BadBear said, this is not personal, this is business.

Not if it's a botnet, I take that quite personal.

If criminals got >51%, then we have to answer to them in our bitcoin enterprise.
And even if someone added a proof-of-stake (so hard for me not to write steak, hmmmm steak) algorithm, this would just slow them down but not eliminate the problem.

Then you can run your BIPs past your new bosses, and I do mind if they are criminals. That's way different from having them just make some money on honest miners' backs.

Yes, we don't know for sure yet if that's indeed a botnet, so we can't sentence the mystery miner yet, but otoh using that argument to disregard this possibility and not discuss possible courses of action would also be wrong.  

Maybe business, but this thread raises questions that are not business as usual.

I'm in the USA and believe me I know how unfair life is to allot of people in different countries.I agree that there will always be people with better resources but this is not about the price of electric and I have no reason to catch a Federal case by running a botnet. I don't need to compete with him I just need to know that my financial and ethical decision are good. The money from minig is really just a bonus to me. I don't truly need it.I'm really here to just support the idea of BTC. I could care less about the blank blocks, transaction fess, or any other things he's doing. I just don't like the idea of BTC being tied to a giant botnet. Publicity like that will only make BTC look bad and I don't think anyone here would want that either. I'm late to the game already. The start up of BTC made early users a very health profit yet I entered in December 2011 with no complaints of unfairness and not looking to make a profit.It's one thing to be at a disadvantage it's entirely different to be partnered with someone doing criminal activates.That is the same reason I won't lease out my hashing power for 110% or 120%. I don't know what its being used for so 200% would not convince me either. Yes this is business for some but it is personal for me and right now I'm helping give him a reason to steal from other.I guess it just boils down to ethics for me as I see us as one big family.I guess every family has a black sheep huh. Damn I wish he was close so I could pound the shit out of him for all the Innocent moms and grandmas footing his bill.
Activity: 313
Merit: 251
Third score

Yes I think most miners would still have a problem with it. Some of us have more money then other to invest in BTC but we are all on a level playing field. Would you still by a farm of GPU for mining when only 1 person has access to ASIC now and you never will?

Well, all miners have already made a risky investment. The possibility that someone would come up with a massive ASIC farm before they manage to break even was there from the beginning. The possibility of a botnetfest was also there. Miners should have been aware of it when they were making their investment decision.

Those who did not consider these and other possibilities (such as BTCUSD drop in price or difficulty increase) are obviously having a nasty surprise, and they probably will have more in the future.

As D&T and BadBear said, this is not personal, this is business.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
Yes I think most miners would still have a problem with it. Some of us have more money then other to invest in BTC but we are all on a level playing field. Would you still by a farm of GPU for mining when only 1 person has access to ASIC now and you never will?

Where do you get the idea you have a right to a level playing field?  Is it fair some people have $0.04 per kWh electrical rates and some have $0.30 per kWh.  If it fair some people need to build their farm one GPU at a time and other can drop $15K on a rigbox or LargeCoin?

Miners compete you have no right to any "fairness".  Adapt, overcome, and expand or die.  No different than any other private enterprise.

May sound harsh, but life really is unfair sometimes. There's always gonna be someone out there with more resources than you. If you can't compete, then he has done his job well.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Just a quick chart showing the number of 1 TX blocks per day. Click to enlarge:

legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
...Are you really advocating lynching based on suspicion?   ...

It is not how matters were solved with horse thieves in the Far West? Because the situation is pretty similar to horse theft.
Of course I were joking. Have you ever heard of someone lynched through the internets?

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

Where do you get the idea you have a right to a level playing field?  Is it fair some people have $0.04 per kWh electrical rates and some have $0.30 per kWh.  If it fair some people need to build their farm one GPU at a time and other can drop $15K on a rigbox or LargeCoin?

Miners compete you have no right to any "fairness".  Adapt, overcome, and expand or die.  No different than any other private enterprise.
If they are using this ISP to maintain a massive botnet - the ISP will likely drop them like a bad habit - I am sure it is in violation of any TOS they may have and it would be incredibly bad PR for them and could cause them a lot of problem.

Botnets are big news lately

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/endtoendtrust/vision/botnet.aspx  < -- ClaraNet is a Microsoft Partner
http://www.csoonline.com/article/679523/us-takes-out-coreflood-botnet <-- Department of Justice & FBI take down Bonet

(etc etc etc - check google)

and no ISP is going to want to be seen as a safe haven for them
especially an ISP like CaraNet which is a Microsoft Certified Partner, Dell Partner etc etc

Agreed, problem is the node is likely just an infected computer and won't slow him down at all. There is discussion going on how to prevent blocks like this here.

Long term though, with the block reward decreasing there will be more incentive to include transactions. I don't think it's really a big problem though, and even if it were, how do you stop botnets on the bitcoin network? And would people be so upset about it if they processed transactions like any other miner?

Edit:
I really dont understand what you guys are reading in to those IPs?
The IPS are of whoever is relaying the blocks, you could be looking at the IP of deepbit, or any other pool or random bitcoin user.

So your saying its what? A hacked linux box some place? My senile mothers zombie laptop?

we could still  start an investigation that could point in the direction of the botnet

we could still get lucky

it certainly cant hurt Tongue

Like my Dad always told me, "You'll never get lucky if you don't try."  Wink

Activity: 597
As viral-advertising this attitude is very effective. I can imagine someone logining in here in a few weeks and saying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPKWCP36EFE

Hi, the truth is.... I'm Mistery Miner

(and I want to announce that the new ASIC mining hardware i used is now for sale)
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
Maybe someone can put together a list of 1 tx blocks mined by our new buddy?

I just generated a list of all 1 tx blocks since beginning of this year:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Apbj91OWg5HvdElMV0FQVWlGa1lsTThNWVVSenJXeWc

If you need anything else, just ask.

assuming all the mined bitcoins are in the possession of the same entity he or them should now have aprox. 35000 btc...

I'm getting some popcorn, this is getting interesting to watch, no tx blocks count have almost tripled in 3 months
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
The IPS are of whoever is relaying the blocks, you could be looking at the IP of deepbit, or any other pool or random bitcoin user.

So your saying its what? A hacked linux box some place? My senile mothers zombie laptop?

we could still  start an investigation that could point in the direction of the botnet

we could still get lucky

The botnet owner can force his blocks to be relayed by anyone that accepts them, which could be another pool, or a bitcoind out on the internet somewhere. Just because the block is FIRST SEEN at some IP address, that does not mean that that IP address is automatically the botnet head controller. You might be notifying the ISP of someone's VPS that they keep a bitcoind on just to help relay txns around the net, which isn't uncommon.
Activity: 518

we could still  start an investigation that could point in the direction of the botnet
we could still get lucky

Mystery miner can relay his blocks through whoever he wants.

If you want to do any investigation, AFAIK, you would need to run a modified bitcoin daemon that logs the IP, but youd need that deamon at the place mystery miner chooses to relay his blocks. If he does so consistently through blockchain or deepbit or whomever, perhaps you can talk to them and ask to log that info and then you might get something, although it would still be hard to tell if that IP is really a MM node or just someone relaying it to deepbit/blockchain/you/me.

Since MM can relay them through anyone he wants, I dont think there is any point, unless Im missing something.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
I have not been here long but I have been a computer tech for over 15 years. I am currently mining with about 8gh/s and would like to keep expanding. My concerns with this
situation might mean very little to some but i thinks most honest miners would feel the same way. This person is more than likely to have infected more computers then I can imagine.
I have cleaned computers infected to the point they are almost useless. Yes I know that these infected probably don't effect the performance like a regular virus.Still the fact that innocent people are being subjected to theft and paying for this asshole to profit is a disgrace to BTC in my opinion. Do we really want BTC associated with this criminal activity?Stealing CPU and GPU cycles and having thousands of innocent people foot the bill is just plan wrong. I don't think BTC would ever be accepted on a larger scale with a big portion on the so called security being done by the world biggest stolen bot net. I do have a problem with this and would like to know how other true miners feel and not speculators.I don't know the laws in any place but USA but this is criminal here in the states.

+1
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127
If they are using this ISP to maintain a massive botnet - the ISP will likely drop them like a bad habit - I am sure it is in violation of any TOS they may have and it would be incredibly bad PR for them and could cause them a lot of problem.

Botnets are big news lately

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/endtoendtrust/vision/botnet.aspx  < -- ClaraNet is a Microsoft Partner
http://www.csoonline.com/article/679523/us-takes-out-coreflood-botnet <-- Department of Justice & FBI take down Bonet

(etc etc etc - check google)

and no ISP is going to want to be seen as a safe haven for them
especially an ISP like CaraNet which is a Microsoft Certified Partner, Dell Partner etc etc

Agreed, problem is the node is likely just an infected computer and won't slow him down at all. There is discussion going on how to prevent blocks like this here.

Long term though, with the block reward decreasing there will be more incentive to include transactions. I don't think it's really a big problem though, and even if it were, how do you stop botnets on the bitcoin network? And would people be so upset about it if they processed transactions like any other miner?

Edit:

we could still  start an investigation that could point in the direction of the botnet

we could still get lucky

Like my Dad always told me, "You'll never get lucky if you don't try."  Wink
Pages:
Jump to: