Pages:
Author

Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9 - page 37. (Read 60471 times)

Activity: 199
Merit: 100
I bet this company here is testing one of their fpga/asic products: http://www.sevensols.com/

It's located in Granada, Spain. That's where the ip is from.
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
March 06, 2012, 05:26:00 PM
Simple answer: Spain enforces every citizen to bitcoin mine to make up for the countries limited TAX returns Wink
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
March 06, 2012, 05:24:48 PM
As you yourself have pointed out previously, such a large botnet would require a massive investment in proxy hardware that could stand up to it. I would be interested in what kind of profits such a botnet would have, after deducting the cost of the proxy.

Also, I heard something on IRC back in November about some guy that had access to "some kind of hardware" and was asking us how to utilize it without anyone being able to locate it. Our advice was to run a proxy from his home or from a cheap VPS. Still wondering how that turned out, as well as what the hardware might have been.

I stated previously the kind of hardware it would take for a botnet to proxy around and use a traditional pool.  THIS type of behavior would be drastically different.  A custom coded server that responds to a bot with:  UniqueWallet,PrevBlockHash,Difficulty, and a solo miner that takes that information and continually generates its own work instead of relying on a central bitcoind to generate work on its behalf.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
March 06, 2012, 05:20:45 PM
Very interested to find out what this IP is.  Been looking at it, and the way the transactions work, paired with the size makes me fear it's a botnet.  The easiest way to run a botnet without a pool:  Make a special server that distributes a wallet address, a hash of the previous block, and the current difficulty, and let the bot do all its own work instead of the grabbing work from bitcoind.
As you yourself have pointed out previously, such a large botnet would require a massive investment in proxy hardware that could stand up to it. I would be interested in what kind of profits such a botnet would have, after deducting the cost of the proxy.

Also, I heard something on IRC back in November about some guy that had access to "some kind of hardware" and was asking us how to utilize it without anyone being able to locate it. Our advice was to run a proxy from his home or from a cheap VPS. Still wondering how that turned out, as well as what the hardware might have been.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 06, 2012, 05:18:40 PM
Very interested to find out what this IP is.  Been looking at it, and the way the transactions work, paired with the size makes me fear it's a botnet.  The easiest way to run a botnet without a pool:  Make a special server that distributes a wallet address, a hash of the previous block, and the current difficulty, and let the bot do all its own work instead of the grabbing work from bitcoind.

If true then it is nothing to be feared.  It adds to the protection of the network and without causing disruptions to pools. 

It would be one hell of a botnet.  Looking at blocks in last 24 hours unless it is on one monster lucky spree it would need to have ~1800 GH/s.  Since average CPU is maybe 1 MH/s (unless it is a botnet which just targets i-7 nodes) we are talking 1.8 million active nodes.
March 06, 2012, 05:17:03 PM
Yeh, 1.5TH seems just a bit out of the blue for a solofarm, thats some serious investment.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
March 06, 2012, 05:16:14 PM
Very interested to find out what this IP is.  Been looking at it, and the way the transactions work, paired with the size makes me fear it's a botnet.  The easiest way to run a botnet without a pool:  Make a special server that distributes a wallet address, a hash of the previous block, and the current difficulty, and let the bot do all its own work instead of the grabbing work from bitcoind.

If it's not a botnet, then we've got a major player coming in that is effectively "attacking" {generating blocks but purposely not putting in transactions} the network.  Obviously luck could be a factor, but the current generation rate is well over 1TH/sec.
March 06, 2012, 04:54:18 PM
Well considering the daily blocks solved by that relay would make it the 3rd biggest pool atleast in alst 24hrs.

Edit: ah seems to be same Spanish mining farm, interesting.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 06, 2012, 04:52:25 PM
Not strange.  Someone who only cares about revenue can save overhead by mining blank blocks. Pretty lame but there is little advantage of including transactions, and none for free transactions. Likely running a modified version of bitcoind who's get work consists of just the coinbase.

Personally I wish he would join p2pool. Smiley
March 06, 2012, 04:48:53 PM
Strangest thing the blocks relayed by that IP is allways without any transactions.
Pages:
Jump to: