Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1059. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Any plans to give an interview on the Let's Talk Bitcoin network (alt channel so to speak). I just listened to an interview with the creator of DRK/dash and it was interesting to say the least. I would have liked a Monero guy on there to give an opposing/alternaive viewpoint. I think a little debate will help the stronger coin out. I'm in XMR's corner of course, but not reading much these days on its main competitor makes me feel a bit out of touch.

Related, can we ever have a wallet app on e.g. Android, for XMR as opposed to a web wallet- is there anything creative we can do?

IAS

Porting LightWallet to Android seems possible given reasonable inputs of time/effort/skill and/or funding/bounties.

XMR competes with BTC; Darshcoin competes with CLOAK and other shitcoins.

XMR has no serious competition in the 'legitimately trustless privacy-enabling digicash' sector.  Bitcoin, with its high-volume array of 3rd party tumblers/mixers, comes the closest.

Darsh enjoys 1st mover status in the 'scamcoin marketed as privacy-enabling digicash' field.  But its technology is unproven, and outside of the cult (who stand to profit from their Ponzi nodes) not many will trust it for security-sensitive applications.

10000 this, you'll rarely or almost never see any Bitcoin stuff making the slighest hint about Monero, unless the person really likes/understands it, after the scamcoin "bought"(subverted) dashcoin I have enough evidence to support my paranoia that Bitcoins already started to rolling behind the scenes to stop or slow down XMR acceptation. At minimum there is a silent conspiracy to ignore Monero/cryptonote.

They will catch on eventually.  Its unique codebase makes it a good hedge should flaws be found in the Bitcoin codebase.  Should this scenario manifest itself all Bitcoin based coins (DRK/ASH) would be rendered useless as well.

Does anyone know how many fairly unique code bases exist in this crazy altcoin ecosystem?

bitcoin
nxt
monero
ripple (though im not sure its really a crypto currency, you have to decide yourself)
bitshares

These are the only ones i know, can anyone add to this list
The Mini-Blockchain based Cryptonite (XCN).

That is based on the bitcoin codebase, but heavily modified. Quite possibly the most heavily modified bitcoin fork.

LOL to your interpretation!
It uses a finite length blockchain model (the last N blocks), consisting of tx blocks, headers, account tree.. Also 7 different hashing algorithms.
Unless you recall any POW a bitcoin fork, your interpretation is quite unfair.

What do you suppose the first and second copyright notices indicate?

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Any plans to give an interview on the Let's Talk Bitcoin network (alt channel so to speak). I just listened to an interview with the creator of DRK/dash and it was interesting to say the least. I would have liked a Monero guy on there to give an opposing/alternaive viewpoint. I think a little debate will help the stronger coin out. I'm in XMR's corner of course, but not reading much these days on its main competitor makes me feel a bit out of touch.

Related, can we ever have a wallet app on e.g. Android, for XMR as opposed to a web wallet- is there anything creative we can do?

IAS

Porting LightWallet to Android seems possible given reasonable inputs of time/effort/skill and/or funding/bounties.

XMR has no serious competition in the 'legitimately trustless privacy-enabling digicash' sector.  Bitcoin, with its high-volume array of 3rd party tumblers/mixers, comes the closest.

Darsh enjoys 1st mover status in the 'scamcoin marketed as privacy-enabling digicash' field.  But its technology is unproven, and outside of the cult (who stand to profit from their Ponzi nodes) not many will trust it for security-sensitive applications.

10000 this, you'll rarely or almost never see any Bitcoin stuff making the slighest hint about Monero, unless the person really likes/understands it, after the scamcoin "bought"(subverted) dashcoin I have enough evidence to support my paranoia that Bitcoins already started to rolling behind the scenes to stop or slow down XMR acceptation. At minimum there is a silent conspiracy to ignore Monero/cryptonote.

They will catch on eventually.  Its unique codebase makes it a good hedge should flaws be found in the Bitcoin codebase.  Should this scenario manifest itself all Bitcoin based coins (DRK/ASH) would be rendered useless as well.

Does anyone know how many fairly unique code bases exist in this crazy altcoin ecosystem?

bitcoin
nxt
monero
ripple (though im not sure its really a crypto currency, you have to decide yourself)
bitshares

That is based on the bitcoin codebase, but heavily modified. Quite possibly the most heavily modified bitcoin fork.

It uses a finite length blockchain model (the last N blocks), consisting of tx blocks, headers, account tree.. Also 7 different hashing algorithms.

It's not an interpretation.
As you wish!
Activity: 795
Merit: 514

IAS

bitcoin
nxt
monero
bitshares

It's not an interpretation.

IAS

bitcoin
nxt
monero
bitshares

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Shield console coming with new cheap power. Its a set top type box for tv and gaming.

If this type of device explodes maybe there could be implications for mining.

Its sitting idle when you are not there using it. Perfect for the network.

Right, thats the idea.

Which is why the database build is important - will allow monero to run on tiny devices with little memory (raspberry pie). Next up is the smartminer to run the miner when the device (such as the Shield) is idle. Unfortunately looks like the Shield couldn't hold a full node (damn you blockchain!). But, if you own one, you could just have it mine (though you'd need to have it running a solominer pointed at a pool)

BUT the shield is built on the NVIDIA Maxwell architecture. 256 cores, which is about 1/3rd a 750 ti... so about 112 h/s if things scale by core #.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
Shield console coming with new cheap power. Its a set top type box for tv and gaming.

If this type of device explodes maybe there could be implications for mining.

Its sitting idle when you are not there using it. Perfect for the network.

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
What if monero was funded through fundraising website/programs? I know those websites usually dont allow you to give something in return to those who donate, but they could be directed to a monero exchange where they could buy some if theyd like.

Well, I got excited about checking out kickstarter, but they don't allow projects for "cash equivalent" things... they used some other word than things. I forget.

There is one that allows Cryptos. https://www.startjoin.com/ Also you could put up a crowdfunding on the Burstcoin Blockchain and get paid in burst and convert it to XMR or BTC.

EDIT: I do believe that Max Keiser is involved in startjoin.
legendary

Should be reported as off topic imo.

Submissions that are mostly about some other cryptocurrency belong elsewhere. For example, /r/CryptoCurrency is a good place to discuss all cryptocurrencies.
legendary

IAS

They will catch on eventually.  Its unique codebase makes it a good hedge should flaws be found in the Bitcoin codebase.  Should this scenario manifest itself all Bitcoin based coins (DRK/ASH) would be rendered useless as well.

bitcoin
nxt
monero
bitshares

IAS

They will catch on eventually.  Its unique codebase makes it a good hedge should flaws be found in the Bitcoin codebase.  Should this scenario manifest itself all Bitcoin based coins (DRK/ASH) would be rendered useless as well.

bitcoin
nxt
monero
bitshares

You guys should talk about it amongst yourselves and see what sort of commitment you can come up with for what price. I know we talked about this before and you weren't willing to commit to delivering any particular product, but maybe you could commit to full time development for a given period of time. I think that would satisfy people. If you can come up with something that we could crowd fund than im sure we could find some way of accommodating that.

We can give some tokens like Limited Edition, Flagbearer type Physical Monero to people donating a said amount to the crowdfund. We can source these coins from iourzzz. It will be good.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
So what ever happened to cryptocoins-dice.com   Did they just steal all the funds and skip town?
Yes

As if you really had to guess.  They totally pulled a Friedcat.

Everyone got BFLPaycoinGoxBS&TAetheroFriedcatDRKDASHed

Sadface

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
So what ever happened to cryptocoins-dice.com   Did they just steal all the funds and skip town?
Yes

As if you really had to guess.  They totally pulled a Friedcat.

Everyone got BFLPaycoinGoxBS&TAetheroFriedcatDRKDASHed

Sadface
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
What if monero was funded through fundraising website/programs? I know those websites usually dont allow you to give something in return to those who donate, but they could be directed to a monero exchange where they could buy some if theyd like.

Well, I got excited about checking out kickstarter, but they don't allow projects for "cash equivalent" things... they used some other word than things. I forget.

If I'm understanding gingerale correctly here, i think hes saying that kickstarter is a no go. Maybe indigogo though.

Hopefully somebody will look into it. Pure speculation here but I wonder if that means you can't give people cash equivalents as a reward. But maybe the project funding with no rewards or different rewards could still happen there (or as you say another crowdfunding site with good visibility).

You guys should talk about it amongst yourselves and see what sort of commitment you can come up with for what price. I know we talked about this before and you weren't willing to commit to delivering any particular product, but maybe you could commit to full time development for a given period of time. I think that would satisfy people. If you can come up with something that we could crowd fund than im sure we could find some way of accommodating that.
legendary

If I'm understanding gingerale correctly here, i think hes saying that kickstarter is a no go. Maybe indigogo though.

Hopefully somebody will look into it. Pure speculation here but I wonder if that means you can't give people cash equivalents as a reward. But maybe the project funding with no rewards or different rewards could still happen there (or as you say another crowdfunding site with good visibility).
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

As I've said before, and i will probably say it again in the future. If we ever want to do a kickstarter type crowd funding campaign I continue to be more than happy to escrow it.

No need to do a kickstarter, just donate directly to devs!
http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/

All of these people agree: http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/hall-of-fame

I definitely think there is some value to the crowd funding model. People dont know what they are getting from a random donation. They dont know whether they effected anything. Maybe if they hadnt donated nothing would have been any different. Maybe the devs would have accomplished exactly as much as if they hadnt donated. With a crowd funding campaign we could do something like, if we are able to raise X resources by Y date than these three devs will be able to work full time on monero for 6 months rather than as a side project. Or something like this. Then contributors know what they are purchasing, rather than just some nebulous idea of maybe monero will be made better. Additionally it gives people a goal that they can push for, people can say look we only need 1,000 more monero before we reach the goal. They can track the progress. People have conversations about it and so follow the progress in a way that they dont with just people giving random donations when ever. Its definitely not the same.

I agree with the crowdfunding model. I'd add that kickstarter can provide a lot more exposure than just using an escrow but that also requires promoting the campaign to get much value from it.

legendary

As I've said before, and i will probably say it again in the future. If we ever want to do a kickstarter type crowd funding campaign I continue to be more than happy to escrow it.

No need to do a kickstarter, just donate directly to devs!
http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/

All of these people agree: http://getmonero.org/getting-started/donate/hall-of-fame

I definitely think there is some value to the crowd funding model. People dont know what they are getting from a random donation. They dont know whether they effected anything. Maybe if they hadnt donated nothing would have been any different. Maybe the devs would have accomplished exactly as much as if they hadnt donated. With a crowd funding campaign we could do something like, if we are able to raise X resources by Y date than these three devs will be able to work full time on monero for 6 months rather than as a side project. Or something like this. Then contributors know what they are purchasing, rather than just some nebulous idea of maybe monero will be made better. Additionally it gives people a goal that they can push for, people can say look we only need 1,000 more monero before we reach the goal. They can track the progress. People have conversations about it and so follow the progress in a way that they dont with just people giving random donations when ever. Its definitely not the same.

I agree with the crowdfunding model. I'd add that kickstarter can provide a lot more exposure than just using an escrow but that also requires promoting the campaign to get much value from it.

Jump to: