Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1069. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
This old poll is still going so if there are any new or old Monero supporters who haven't voted please take look: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/poll-what-anonymous-coin-will-succed-568166

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Any plans to give an interview on the Let's Talk Bitcoin network (alt channel so to speak). I just listened to an interview with the creator of DRK/dash and it was interesting to say the least. I would have liked a Monero guy on there to give an opposing/alternaive viewpoint. I think a little debate will help the stronger coin out. I'm in XMR's corner of course, but not reading much these days on its main competitor makes me feel a bit out of touch.

Related, can we ever have a wallet app on e.g. Android, for XMR as opposed to a web wallet- is there anything creative we can do?

IAS

Porting LightWallet to Android seems possible given reasonable inputs of time/effort/skill and/or funding/bounties.

XMR competes with BTC; Darshcoin competes with CLOAK and other shitcoins.

XMR has no serious competition in the 'legitimately trustless privacy-enabling digicash' sector.  Bitcoin, with its high-volume array of 3rd party tumblers/mixers, comes the closest.

Darsh enjoys 1st mover status in the 'scamcoin marketed as privacy-enabling digicash' field.  But its technology is unproven, and outside of the cult (who stand to profit from their Ponzi nodes) not many will trust it for security-sensitive applications.

10000 this, you'll rarely or almost never see any Bitcoin stuff making the slighest hint about Monero, unless the person really likes/understands it, after the scamcoin "bought"(subverted) dashcoin I have enough evidence to support my paranoia that Bitcoins already started to rolling behind the scenes to stop or slow down XMR acceptation. At minimum there is a silent conspiracy to ignore Monero/cryptonote.

They will catch on eventually.  Its unique codebase makes it a good hedge should flaws be found in the Bitcoin codebase.  Should this scenario manifest itself all Bitcoin based coins (DRK/ASH) would be rendered useless as well.

Does anyone know how many fairly unique code bases exist in this crazy altcoin ecosystem?
legendary
Any plans to give an interview on the Let's Talk Bitcoin network (alt channel so to speak). I just listened to an interview with the creator of DRK/dash and it was interesting to say the least. I would have liked a Monero guy on there to give an opposing/alternaive viewpoint. I think a little debate will help the stronger coin out. I'm in XMR's corner of course, but not reading much these days on its main competitor makes me feel a bit out of touch.

Related, can we ever have a wallet app on e.g. Android, for XMR as opposed to a web wallet- is there anything creative we can do?

IAS

Porting LightWallet to Android seems possible given reasonable inputs of time/effort/skill and/or funding/bounties.

XMR has no serious competition in the 'legitimately trustless privacy-enabling digicash' sector.  Bitcoin, with its high-volume array of 3rd party tumblers/mixers, comes the closest.

Darsh enjoys 1st mover status in the 'scamcoin marketed as privacy-enabling digicash' field.  But its technology is unproven, and outside of the cult (who stand to profit from their Ponzi nodes) not many will trust it for security-sensitive applications.

Porting lightWallet to Android would be pretty tricky at this point, since at the moment it is really just a wrapper for simplewallet that communicates by rpc calls. So, we would need a version of simplewallet that runs on Android (which may be doable for 64-bit Android devices), or, something along the lines of bitcoinj/moneroj (which would then require some significant rewriting of code). In either case it's probably beyond my capabilities and/or available time to work on it right now, but the code is available on github for anyone who would like to give it a shot...

Nothing at all in simple wallet really requires 64 bit. There might be some compilation issues but most of them have already been worked out.

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

IAS

XMR has no serious competition in the 'legitimately trustless privacy-enabling digicash' sector.  Bitcoin, with its high-volume array of 3rd party tumblers/mixers, comes the closest.

Darsh enjoys 1st mover status in the 'scamcoin marketed as privacy-enabling digicash' field.  But its technology is unproven, and outside of the cult (who stand to profit from their Ponzi nodes) not many will trust it for security-sensitive applications.

Porting lightWallet to Android would be pretty tricky at this point, since at the moment it is really just a wrapper for simplewallet that communicates by rpc calls. So, we would need a version of simplewallet that runs on Android (which may be doable for 64-bit Android devices), or, something along the lines of bitcoinj/moneroj (which would then require some significant rewriting of code). In either case it's probably beyond my capabilities and/or available time to work on it right now, but the code is available on github for anyone who would like to give it a shot...
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

IAS

Activity: 672
Merit: 500
May you elaborate on how exactly is possible to import an existing wallet from the official command line client, to the mymonero.com platform?

Just login with your 25 word seed, and you'll be prompted to go through the import process:)
I did, it just imported the private spend key and the public receiving address, BUT didn't import the previous transactions and balances.
For the txs and balance, 10 xmr should be paid in the simple wallet, for which I have to download the whole blockchain again to get access to my wallet fund to pay the 10 xmr, such a loop.
So what is the point of importing when it doesn't remove the burden of downloading the whole blockchain??
Sometimes you need to wait about a minute to load complete.
It's fetching data, so you should be patient about it.
You didn't get what I said about paying 10 xmr, did you?
legendary
Activity: 1092
I'm a Firestarter!
May you elaborate on how exactly is possible to import an existing wallet from the official command line client, to the mymonero.com platform?

Just login with your 25 word seed, and you'll be prompted to go through the import process:)
I did, it just imported the private spend key and the public receiving address, BUT didn't import the previous transactions and balances.
For the txs and balance, 10 xmr should be paid in the simple wallet, for which I have to download the whole blockchain again to get access to my wallet fund to pay the 10 xmr, such a loop.
So what is the point of importing when it doesn't remove the burden of downloading the whole blockchain??
Sometimes you need to wait about a minute to load complete.
It's fetching data, so you should be patient about it.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Antifragile

IAS

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
I wish it could get on more exchanges. It is very exposed with everything mainly through Poloniex.

A critical failure there or the kind of mad "haxxors destroyyed our coins store!!1!one!" events we have seen occasionaly and we could be badly sunk.

A reverse XMR.TO(s)?
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
wanna hear something funny? of course you do. i dont actually know how much monero i own. i dont remember how much it was, and i don't have enough ram on my computer to run the client and see, and i cant just look up the address on the explorer. Cheesy ha! I do know that its less than i wish i had.

Nice one!
I also start the daemon very rarely - each 10-20 days - but at least I wrote down the amounts on a text file.

I wish to see on mymonero a feature like: login with only address and viewkey, to only see what's new in the wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
I wish it could get on more exchanges. It is very exposed with everything mainly through Poloniex.

A critical failure there or the kind of mad "haxxors destroyyed our coins store!!1!one!" events we have seen occasionaly and we could be badly sunk.

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Why are u interested in the other direction? Just an easy way to buy more XMR?

As for me, I want it because it increases the size of the network dramatically, making monero much more useful.
wanna hear something funny? of course you do. i dont actually know how much monero i own. i dont remember how much it was, and i don't have enough ram on my computer to run the client and see, and i cant just look up the address on the explorer. Cheesy ha! I do know that its less than i wish i had.

https://mymonero.com/#/

Import it.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
...I just wanted to tell you guys that story because i thought it would be entertaining. Smiley

It was, thx for sharing. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

Import it.

Yea i know i could do that. I just dont really care how much i have. Its not a big deal. I have a general idea. I know to the nearest thousand. If it was as easy as looking it up on the explorer than i would, but since it requires some effort i dont care enough to put in effort to find out. I just wanted to tell you guys that story because i thought it would be entertaining. Smiley Im not "looking for a solution" per say.
legendary

Import it.

Remote node also works fine for looking at your balance. There is really no disadvantage to it at all other than that you can't 100% trust the balance you see, but realistically you can. Sending transactions via a remote node has a bit of a privacy hit, but checking a balance (and/or checking for received payments) doesn't even have that issue.
Activity: 798

Only one solution to that then, buy some more gawd damn it!
Jump to: