Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1065. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 687
Merit: 500

Just existing is plenty good enough if the only purpose is to sell people xmr for fiat. Here, give me 10 bucks, and I'll give you some xmr. See? No massive adoption necessary.

How much use does xmr.to or shapeshift.io depend on? None. They buy coins from exchanges as needed to fulfill orders.

Oh yeah sure, let me just get msb licenses and attempt to open bitcoin business accounts for the 10 bucks, gee glad I went through all that trouble, what a great business. It has to make economic sense sure saying I would like this that and the other is fine, I would love amazon to accept accept xmr. I wonder why they don't, do you think it's because it's not worth their time?

Maybe we can get someone that lives somewhere where regulation is a bit more lax to create a XMR/USD exchange.
Then it won't cost as much.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514

Just existing is plenty good enough if the only purpose is to sell people xmr for fiat. Here, give me 10 bucks, and I'll give you some xmr. See? No massive adoption necessary.

How much use does xmr.to or shapeshift.io depend on? None. They buy coins from exchanges as needed to fulfill orders.

Oh yeah sure, let me just get msb licenses and attempt to open bitcoin business accounts for the 10 bucks, gee glad I went through all that trouble.

You said "just existing" wasn't good enough. I made a point. Now you're changing the subject.

For the third time, I never it would be easy. But my point still stands that it's 100% necessary.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Oh yeah sure, let me just get msb licenses and attempt to open bitcoin business accounts for the 10 bucks, gee glad I went through all that trouble, what a great business. It has to make economic sense sure saying I would like this that and the other is fine, I would love amazon to accept accept xmr. I wonder why they don't, do you think it's because it's not worth their time?
Considering that Coinbase is valued at more than $400M (approximately 100x the market cap of Monero), and Circle and Buttercoin are probably valued at least $5-10M (something greater than the ~$4M market cap of Monero), I don't think Monero is quite ready for this type of full service, nationwide fiat-to-crypto conversion. It'd be nice, but I think it costs a bit much relative to the worth of all the Monero currently available...

I don't know what these companies value has to do with anything. A more relevant consideration might be:

What was bitcoin's first ever fiat exchange, and what was btc's value when it opened?
Recently a close friend of mine asked me how she could acquire some xmr. I agreed to get some for her, but should I instead have replied, "oh, monero isn't popular enough among crypto geeks for you to be able to buy it with your dollars. Instead you have to buy this other much more popular crypto first, and then trade it on a complicated exchange that won't make sense to regular folks like yourself"?

Valid point IMO.

Even something like retail prepaid cards would be much better.

Everyone always says this for every coin. Fact is the demand isn't there. Nobody noticed that polo offers usdt, nobody noticed how hilarious the volume is.

Look I'd love a fiat exchange, go and do it, please I implore you. Fact is with the licenses, money laundering regulations etc it doesn't make business sense. If it did and was a profitable thing to do, an exchange such as Bitfinex or btc-e would have done it.

USDT isn't fiat, and polo isn't a dedicated exchange. Even if it was, try creating an account for your mom and see if she can buy some Monero with her USD.

I agree with you that easy fiat exchange would be extremely challenging, but we will never achieve real-world adoption/use without it. And I'd definitely try to create it myself if I had the time and legal help/knowledge.

Again, I'm not saying everyone has to flock to it. It just has to exist. We want adoption and we want merchants to accept xmr, but we have to have an easy option for new users to acquire it that doesn't depend on BTC.

Just existing isn't good enough you need liquidity to have an exchange. You'd be better of setting up something like a local bitcoins seller where you accept fiat and then buy back your xmr on market.

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

USDT isn't fiat, and polo isn't a dedicated exchange. Even if it was, try creating an account for your mom and see if she can buy some Monero with her USD.

I agree with you that easy fiat exchange would be extremely challenging, but we will never achieve real-world adoption/use without it. And I'd definitely try to create it myself if I had the time and legal help/knowledge.

Again, I'm not saying everyone has to flock to it. It just has to exist. We want adoption and we want merchants to accept xmr, but we have to have an easy option for new users to acquire it that doesn't depend on BTC.

Considering that Coinbase is valued at more than $400M (approximately 100x the market cap of Monero), and Circle and Buttercoin are probably valued at least $5-10M (something greater than the ~$4M market cap of Monero), I don't think Monero is quite ready for this type of full service, nationwide fiat-to-crypto conversion. It'd be nice, but I think it costs a bit much relative to the worth of all the Monero currently available...
Recently a close friend of mine asked me how she could acquire some xmr. I agreed to get some for her, but should I instead have replied, "oh, monero isn't popular enough among crypto geeks for you to be able to buy it with your dollars. Instead you have to buy this other much more popular crypto first, and then trade it on a complicated exchange that won't make sense to regular folks like yourself"?

Valid point IMO.

Everyone always says this for every coin. Fact is the demand isn't there. Nobody noticed that polo offers usdt, nobody noticed how hilarious the volume is.

Look I'd love a fiat exchange, go and do it, please I implore you. Fact is with the licenses, money laundering regulations etc it doesn't make business sense. If it did and was a profitable thing to do, an exchange such as Bitfinex or btc-e would have done it.

Just existing isn't good enough you need liquidity to have an exchange. You'd be better of setting up something like a local bitcoins seller where you accept fiat and then buy back your xmr on market.

Valid point IMO.

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1002
Strange, yet attractive.

Valid point IMO.

Isn't there the ability to buy via USD into Poloniex? Never used it but I guess this is an option (I've even seen the deposit column). I'd bet it's feasible.

Valid point IMO.

Funny though, your friend wants to hold xmr which still only has a command line wallet yet a simple btc/xmr exchange is complicated...
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Valid point IMO.

I'm not making up anything.... Look, just open up your own xmr/fiat exchange and find out what happens. You believe adamantly that people will flock to a fiat denominated exchange which isn't the case. Even LTC doesn't have its 'own' exchange.  

You're still making assumptions. Show me a scenario where an alt had a dedicated fiat exchange that nobody used.

Oh, and which altcoin exchange was Bitcoin traded on before it got big enough for it's own exchange?

The point is: altcoin exchanges will never drive demand outsite of altcoin exchanges. Somewhere you must be independent of BTC. It doesn't have to be the most popular... but you need the option.
people will always trade alts on multi alt platforms until a crypto is big enough to support a dedicated platform.

It sounds like you're making up rules that nobody really has to follow. You're saying we all have to dick around on btc-denominated exchanges until we reach some magical threshold where everyone all agrees we can become a "real crypto" with our own exchange.

I'm saying we don't need to be the biggest fish in the small pond before competing in the big one. We need to start thinking of (and building) third party solutions for real-world use that will attract outsiders. We don't need the approval of altcoin speculators to do that.

I'm not making up anything.... Look, just open up your own xmr/fiat exchange and find out what happens. You believe adamantly that people will flock to a fiat denominated exchange which isn't the case. Even LTC doesn't have its 'own' exchange. 
people will always trade alts on multi alt platforms until a crypto is big enough to support a dedicated platform.

It sounds like you're making up rules that nobody really has to follow. You're saying we all have to dick around on btc-denominated exchanges until we reach some magical threshold where everyone all agrees we can become a "real crypto" with our own exchange.

I'm saying we don't need to be the biggest fish in the small pond before competing in the big one. We need to start thinking of (and building) third party solutions for real-world use that will attract outsiders. We don't need the approval of altcoin speculators to do that.
Monero will never be a contender until it loses its dependency on BTC.

If consumers can't easily acquire XMR, then merchant adoption is out of the question. Fluffypony is right that a GUI means nothing. The core team builds the protocol. It's the responsibility of third parties to develop the necessary tools for consumers.

But we will never have the consumer demand to drive such third party development without a dedicated and easy fiat exchange. Notice I said "dedicated." It's not enough to be included on some BTC-fiat platform with other alts. There needs to be a stupidly easy way to purchase XMR with fiat money. And yes, I realize that achieving this (legally) is an extremely challenging problem.

We had a dedicated exchange which could have morphed into accepting fiat but the cold hard reality is all the volume moved to Polo, people will always trade alts on multi alt platforms until a crypto is big enough to support a dedicated platform.

Which one are you talking about then? I think if some reputable member of the Monero community started a fiat <-> XMR exchange, most of the volume will move to it. Lack of trust in other exchanges is one of the reasons people stay on poloniex.

TheKoziTwo an extremely reputable early btc and xmr investor wrote and ran it. Cryptonote.exchange.to. It was the first exchange we were on and then as soon as Polo added us everyone flocked over there. The fact is a dedicated exchange just doesn't gain traction.
We already have mymonero.com, which functions just fine as an easy safe storage option for the average joe. But that's only useful after he acquires his XMR in the first place. Hence the need for super easy fiat trade.

xmr.to, as cool as it is, is somewhat ahead of itself because it only caters to current monero supporters or savvy btc users. This is fine, but it still doesn't free us from the bitcoin dependency bubble.

Pay any BTC address anonymousely! First buy btc, then trade it on some exchange for xmr, then send your new xmr to a btc address!

You have to admit the above sounds rather silly.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

If consumers can't easily acquire XMR, then merchant adoption is out of the question. Fluffypony is right that a GUI means nothing. The core team builds the protocol. It's the responsibility of third parties to develop the necessary tools for consumers.

But we will never have the consumer demand to drive such third party development without a dedicated and easy fiat exchange. Notice I said "dedicated." It's not enough to be included on some BTC-fiat platform with other alts. There needs to be a stupidly easy way to purchase XMR with fiat money. And yes, I realize that achieving this (legally) is an extremely challenging problem.

We had a dedicated exchange which could have morphed into accepting fiat but the cold hard reality is all the volume moved to Polo, people will always trade alts on multi alt platforms until a crypto is big enough to support a dedicated platform.

Which one are you talking about then? I think if some reputable member of the Monero community started a fiat <-> XMR exchange, most of the volume will move to it. Lack of trust in other exchanges is one of the reasons people stay on poloniex.

Jump to: