Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1209. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.
Monero has a comfortable first position (21% more voices than the number 2)
(XMR) Monero   (34.1%)

I doubt that anyone is even reading the poll's question.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I'm a Firestarter!
Activity: 809
Merit: 1002

relaxedsense was far too uptight...As long as it's not full on nudity or anything sexually controversial...then it's fine. Your pic is fine.

relaxed needs to understand that any bit of marketing helps.

Sorry for that, it was indeed a bit uptight.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Monero has a comfortable first position (21% more voices than the number 2)
Activity: 141
Merit: 100
Merry Christmas and Happy upcoming 2015!
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
i tested it out on my beater PC (core 2 duo 3 ghz~, 2 gigs ram), Xubuntu

on this machine I didn't have the patience to try and load the standard database. One time it hung, but that may have been due to a bad compile? I dunno.

Based on the "free" output you posted, it looks like you don't have enough swap (i.e. virtual memory) to use the standard version at all. You would need at least 5-6 GB of virtual memory, I think, so something like 3-4 GB of swap, and you only have 2 GB. More if you have other stuff running on the same system.

If you did have enough swap for it, the performance would still be quite poor, but it would at least work.

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2.0G       697M       1.3G       2.2M        19M       139M
-/+ buffers/cache:       539M       1.4G
Swap:         2.0G       274M       1.7G

hope it helps. Is there a better place for this?

This shows the DB version using very little memory, well under 1 GB. You in fact have 1.3 GB of free memory on your 2 GB system!

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
i tested it out on my beater PC (core 2 duo 3 ghz~, 2 gigs ram), Xubuntu

on this machine I didn't have the patience to try and load the standard database. One time it hung, but that may have been due to a bad compile? I dunno. At some point, I'm going to put together a monero for dummies. Of course, the GUI might negate the need for that.

did the blockchain conversion (which took hours), and bitmonerd loaded up and tried to start syncing. Granted, all it spat out was a series of these:

SYNCHRONIZATION started
2014-Dec-26 00:27:08.695534 [P2P3][62.210.83.203:58012 INC]Sync data returned unknown top block: 110 -> 364007 [363897 blocks (252 days) behind]

endless yellow and red.

granted, the fact that I still have to google for 98% of linux commands should indicate my level of skill, so I might have it pointing to the wrong blockchain... who knows.

But the good thing is, while it was running, it was sitting at a constant 16 gigs in virtual memory. And here's the spitout from the free -h jobber

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          2.0G       697M       1.3G       2.2M        19M       139M
-/+ buffers/cache:       539M       1.4G
Swap:         2.0G       274M       1.7G

hope it helps. Is there a better place for this?
Activity: 770
Merit: 500

relaxedsense was far too uptight...As long as it's not full on nudity or anything sexually controversial...then it's fine. Your pic is fine.

relaxed needs to understand that any bit of marketing helps.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Activity: 364
Merit: 256
Thanks to the community for supporting XMR for so long and thanks to those with strong hands who know what the coin will be worth and stick it out
Activity: 809
Merit: 1002
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
liteon, you can already test drive the DB.

Note that there are known bugs at the moment which make that DB development branch mostly unusable.
In particular, you most likely won't be able to send anything. It's still very much work in progress. I suggest using a testnet wallet if you want to play with it.

Activity: 658
Monero Core Team
JFYI, the 2 bolded links are the same. The last one links to the right subject, the first not.
Corrected, thank you. I also updated What is openalias? to mention that it is supported by MyMonero and How can I help/donate/contribute? to mention the openalias address (I also rephrased this question to increase chances people who wish to donate find it with ctrl+f).
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Just discovered that MyMonero.com fully supports OpenAlias! Nice one.

Well it was supposed to be a surprise, but yes:)
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Does anyone know how to test the DB on Mac OS X?
Activity: 723
Is mymonero.com broken? I made a new account to test, and I can't login with the just generated private key. "No account found!"

i have this too, happened with an account i generated yesterday. its like i just memorized the seeds without creating the account. im beginning to think i created an account with other seeds and didnt hit enter for seeds account i had copy pasted
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
A common reply/addition to posts these last two days:

liteon, you can already test drive the DB.

resya, assuming you are not here for trolling, you shall read bit.ly/why-monero. A dense compilation of reason to get interested into Monero

aerbax, let me congratulate you for your website. Could you promote it more by announcing new pages you create and randomly posting about a page needing more content? Let's emulation work! Also, there is a wikia wikia on Monero and I'm concerned over duplication of effort (although the wikia on monero is mostly for dev purposes). I'd say the definitive factor is that your is running a pure MediaWikia so your data cannot be seized like the ones at wikia.com.

For people willing to get more information about the wallets
MyMonero.com

Official GUI wallets (official and unofficial)
Where is the GUI wallet ?
Why is Monero not user friendly like most other cryptocurrencies? Why is there no official GUI wallet?

I also updated Do I have to run a full node to keep a personal/offline wallet?

JFYI, the 2 bolded links are the same. The last one links to the right subject, the first not.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
Jump to: