Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1239. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Yes, it does support the coin - however, it raises the difficulty, too. If everyone mined, no one would be profitable - by buying coins, you're lowering the difficulty, and someone else will become profitable because of it and begin mining. It's not like mining will cease.

I agree. Buying also supports the coin.

I disagree a bit with what you are saying though about this or that being more profitable to mine. It doesn't necessarily make sense for a hobby miner to switch around constantly to the most profitable coin/algorithm and deal with getting everything working properly and optimized. If you consider the coins that have come and gone since Monero, its pretty reasonable to ignore the hot coin of the day and just stick with something having some longevity if you aren't running a big operation.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
This Re-doubles my faith in Monero.

https://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin/wizardry/brs-arbitrary-output-sizes.txt

Unless I have read this incorrectly it is a simple addition to Cryptonote coins?

Not, not really, and whether or not it's a security improvement is questionable as it adds a new level of associative data to transactions (outputs are exponentially more likely to be smaller mixed in inputs than larger ones). At best you reduce bloat by a constant while introducing a property whose application to forensics is unknown.

Is there a rebute to this "possible" security issue that this purports to address. And when you say no you did not mean it would not be an "easy" integration?

There is no such issue. There are only around 100 possible coin sizes with the current denomination scheme (which could be reduced with something like a 1+2+5 system), so there is no issue with not being able to find matching output sizes for any reasonable non-dust amount.  I don't think they understood how denominations worked when they wrote that (are denominations in the cryptonote white paper?) or simply wanted to write a paper about an application of cryptography and didn't care.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
roight roight roight. I feel sheepish.  Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
Could one thwart the bitcoin network just by building (6549 / 2 + 1) nodes and modifying these nodes ledgers simultaneously? (or am I just describing a 51%??)
Block-chain! Stringed up one block following another, beeing in a mathematical relation with it's predecessor that is currently impossible to forge.
You network would have to present something conclusive beginning from block #1 and the nodes have checkpoints with known checksums coded in, so can differentiate between "the blockchain" and "another blockchain".
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Just to spread the good news... even though its not big news, its big to me.

I successfully have accumulated 1 XMR by mining with my own Xeon 771-775 sticker-hacked ebay-built rigs on monerohash... after having learned enough linux (or copy and pasting code into terminals... can't tell you how many times I've killed a program by ctrl-c'ing in a damn terminal... btw, thank you all you nice linux people for putting terminal code on the interwebs so I can just copy-paste.. or copy-shift-insert, as the case may be).

and then to see it pop up on my wallet as my client was catching up to the network.

very satisfying. Yay. My very first self-mined cryptocurrency.

now if I could only snipe some 750 ti's.

Welcome, though you're kind'a late...

Better late than never.  I didn't mine my first XMR until August.   But have mined a good bit now.  Matter of fact have a 290x GPU coming in today to run on my latest rig.  5x 280x and 1x 290x as a flagship card on that rig.    

You're mining XMR. On AMD cards. Why? Mining something else (pretty much anything else) and buying XMR would get you more.

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Well, yeah - but you'd probably 1.5x or more the amount of coins you'd get from mining... odd that you're directly mining it.

Its good that he is supporting the network, in dollar terms he wouldnt make much more if he switched.

Are you kidding? Mining Neoscrypt gets you LOADS more than Monero right now.

What coin(s)?
legendary

I successfully have accumulated 1 XMR by mining with my own Xeon 771-775 sticker-hacked ebay-built rigs on monerohash... after having learned enough linux (or copy and pasting code into terminals... can't tell you how many times I've killed a program by ctrl-c'ing in a damn terminal... btw, thank you all you nice linux people for putting terminal code on the interwebs so I can just copy-paste.. or copy-shift-insert, as the case may be).

and then to see it pop up on my wallet as my client was catching up to the network.

Better late than never.  I didn't mine my first XMR until August.   But have mined a good bit now.  Matter of fact have a 290x GPU coming in today to run on my latest rig.  5x 280x and 1x 290x as a flagship card on that rig.    

You're mining XMR. On AMD cards. Why? Mining something else (pretty much anything else) and buying XMR would get you more.

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Well, yeah - but you'd probably 1.5x or more the amount of coins you'd get from mining... odd that you're directly mining it.

Its good that he is supporting the network, in dollar terms he wouldnt make much more if he switched.

I might be noob and late to the game, but in my mind supporting the network by hashing directly will ultimately support the coin, right? Whereas mining some other cc and then buying xmr could only potentially support the coin if you bought at a relatively high price to drive the market valuation up (somehow pulling this off without priming a pump dump bump).

And also, while i'm waiving my noob flag, i just want to get a final clarification - participating in hashing secures the network by driving up the difficulty (preventing the 51% attack), whereas running a node secures the network by holding a copy of the ledger to participate in ledger comparison / verification.

It'd be interesting to rank the available cryptocurrencies by # of nodes. I know this exists for BTC: https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/ .

Interesting. You take the network hash rate of BTC (311 ph/s) , divide that by # of nodes (6549), you get an average of 47 th/s per node.  Noob flag again: a pool is essentially 1 node, right?

Could one thwart the bitcoin network just by building (6549 / 2 + 1) nodes and modifying these nodes ledgers simultaneously? (or am I just describing a 51%??)

(lowers his noob flag and goes back to hiding)
Activity: 198
Merit: 100

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Actually, it's a great idea to mine-and-sell some other coin/s, and then buy XMR with the earnings. That way, Monero would get some buy support!
legendary
Activity: 1456

I'm buying them too, especially now with the price at rock bottom.  Price will go back up though.  Hold them coins for days ahead.

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org

In 2012 i decided to start mining bitcoins to support the network since i had already bought a few. So i built a nice computer with a nice GPU which was giving me 0.5 bitcoin a day. I think the price was around 8 dollars at the time. After mining for a few weeks i decided to sell the computer mostly because i couldnt stand the noise of the GPU fan Tongue After all i was gaining just a few dollars and i would need  a few months to get back my investment for the computer.

Now obviously i know that i shouldnt have sold that computer...

Activity: 505
Merit: 500

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
This was my first mined crypto too Smiley It's a fulfilling feeling
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Unless I have read this incorrectly it is a simple addition to Cryptonote coins?

Not, not really, and whether or not it's a security improvement is questionable as it adds a new level of associative data to transactions (outputs are exponentially more likely to be smaller mixed in inputs than larger ones). At best you reduce bloat by a constant while introducing a property whose application to forensics is unknown.

Is there a rebute to this "possible" security issue that this purports to address. And when you say no you did not mean it would not be an "easy" integration?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

legendary
Activity: 1281
☑ ♟ ☐ ♚
WOW
Network Hash Rate: 20.97 MH/sec

Are there any more miners with video cards?

if so
it is in which country and how much electrical energy there

KNC made Scrypt-N firmware for Titans on Friday. After that, titans have nuked lots of Scrypt-N coins. Perhaps, former Scrypt-N GPU-/CPU-miners have moved to different algo coins...
Activity: 794
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Thanks to whomever sent me 1 XMR via saddam.moneroaddress.org! We will never know.

I will give away 1 xmr to anyone that makes an openalias wallet. Lets make it rain.  Cool
I added ge.changetheworldwork.com openalias (not tested, windows simplewallet) for Monero donations for the new version of my gene expression analysis software (zRMicroArray). It's used by at least 3 groups of students (US and Bulgaria) each year and by some laboratories and researchers in the US. It's free for non-commercial use and it's used instead of some expensive commercial software products. A single small experiment to collect the data for such analysis cost 60,000-200,000$ and then you could use my software to make the analysis for free which somewhat reduces the overall price of the experiment. The software needs a lot of new functionality added and a fully rewritten new version to answer the needs of the users. I have 5 years of real world users feedback. The new version will take at least 6-12 months if I devote my time to it and I may need one more part time developer. I doubt I could find any significant resources for the new version without some company buying the software and it's exclusive rights, but I'm still trying. If you send me this 1 xmr it'll be the first cents ever I get for this software. If I configured it properly ge.changetheworldwork.com should send to
Code:
4AUoJ141b18EbZBAqmVq1cZSR2mVYtH1VaTsALSiMqAMFHbT38SwD3UPy5vUtmu3QL9hpR8RFFMPwfBcZzwEwqdV58yejWS

[wallet 49VNLa]: transfer 3 ge.changetheworldwork.com 1
For URL: ge.changetheworldwork.com, WARNING: DNSSEC validation was unsuccessful, this address may not be correct!
 Monero Address = 4AUoJ141b18EbZBAqmVq1cZSR2mVYtH1VaTsALSiMqAMFHbT38SwD3UPy5vUtmu3QL9hpR8RFFMPwfB cZzwEwqdV58yejWS
Is this OK? (Y/n) y
Money successfully sent, transaction

It's working! It's very easy to set and it takes just a minute. Great work is done by the Monero devs! Thank you.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Thanks to whomever sent me 1 XMR via saddam.moneroaddress.org! We will never know.

I will give away 1 xmr to anyone that makes an openalias wallet. Lets make it rain.  Cool
I added ge.changetheworldwork.com openalias (not tested, windows simplewallet) for Monero donations for the new version of my gene expression analysis software (zRMicroArray). It's used by at least 3 groups of students (US and Bulgaria) each year and by some laboratories and researchers in the US. It's free for non-commercial use and it's used instead of some expensive commercial software products. A single small experiment to collect the data for such analysis cost 60,000-200,000$ and then you could use my software to make the analysis for free which somewhat reduces the overall price of the experiment. The software needs a lot of new functionality added and a fully rewritten new version to answer the needs of the users. I have 5 years of real world users feedback. The new version will take at least 6-12 months if I devote my time to it and I may need one more part time developer. I doubt I could find any significant resources for the new version without some company buying the software and it's exclusive rights, but I'm still trying. If you send me this 1 xmr it'll be the first cents ever I get for this software. If I configured it properly ge.changetheworldwork.com should send to
Code:
4AUoJ141b18EbZBAqmVq1cZSR2mVYtH1VaTsALSiMqAMFHbT38SwD3UPy5vUtmu3QL9hpR8RFFMPwfBcZzwEwqdV58yejWS

[wallet 49VNLa]: transfer 3 ge.changetheworldwork.com 1
For URL: ge.changetheworldwork.com, WARNING: DNSSEC validation was unsuccessful, this address may not be correct!
 Monero Address = 4AUoJ141b18EbZBAqmVq1cZSR2mVYtH1VaTsALSiMqAMFHbT38SwD3UPy5vUtmu3QL9hpR8RFFMPwfB cZzwEwqdV58yejWS
Is this OK? (Y/n) y
Money successfully sent, transaction
Jump to: