Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1292. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Activity: 350
Is this wat's being talked about with atomic exchanges and cross chain transactions? So rather than communicating through a custom-built exchange API and trading numbers they make up for other numbers they make up, you're always exchanging the real thing for the real thing?

How would that be implemented with this codebase?
Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Thanks Smooth and BinaryFate. This is fascinating, but I don't want to hog up the thread with questions. Where would i go to find out more about the way crypto-currency functions at the atomic level? Or at the very least, a thorough explanation of the mining, wallet, and transaction process from A to Z. 

Cryptonote Whitepaper:
https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf

Review:
http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_review.pdf

(those are linked in the first post)

and of course: bitcoins whitepaper by satoshi: https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud

Thanks Smooth and BinaryFate. This is fascinating, but I don't want to hog up the thread with questions. Where would i go to find out more about the way crypto-currency functions at the atomic level? Or at the very least, a thorough explanation of the mining, wallet, and transaction process from A to Z.  

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Total curiosity question, just because i love knowing stuff..

Just transferred 64xmr and i noticed when i did a refresh the first transaction that showed up, before showing all my transfers in the purple text, was 3 transactions received: 1 for .6, 1 for 6, and 1 for 10.. for a total of 16.6xmr received and then all the purple text showing the transfers going out.. my final balance is correct, nothing extra received

see screengrab if necessary:

http://imgur.com/c7P6tmE

so i guess my question is now obvious, why is that? where did that 16.6xmr come from? is it part of my transfer? and why 16.6 when i sent 64?

ok so i guess that's 4 questions

i know i wen't a little overboard with the redacting, but once i started i couldn't stop!

Thanks,

That's your change. In order to send 64, the wallet used one or more outputs adding up to 80.6 (maybe a bit more with fee), of which 64 (60+4) went to the recipient and 16.6 (10+6+0.6) came back to you. Bitcoin works the same way and you can see these change transactions if you look on a chain explorer, but usually wallets don't normally show the low level details the way simplewallet does.

Hate to go full-noob on you, but what function does that serve?

Simple answer is that in the Bitcoin system (from which Monero derives this aspect of its design), an output can only be used once after which it is "spent" and can never be used again. So if you have just an output of 100, and you want to spend 10, you have no choice but to spend the entire 100. To do that, 10 is sent to the intended recipient and 90 goes back to you.

Activity: 98

Just transferred 64xmr and i noticed when i did a refresh the first transaction that showed up, before showing all my transfers in the purple text, was 3 transactions received: 1 for .6, 1 for 6, and 1 for 10.. for a total of 16.6xmr received and then all the purple text showing the transfers going out.. my final balance is correct, nothing extra received

so i guess my question is now obvious, why is that? where did that 16.6xmr come from? is it part of my transfer? and why 16.6 when i sent 64?

i know i wen't a little overboard with the redacting, but once i started i couldn't stop!

Thanks,

That's your change. In order to send 64, the wallet used one or more outputs adding up to 80.6 (maybe a bit more with fee), of which 64 (60+4) went to the recipient and 16.6 (10+6+0.6) came back to you. Bitcoin works the same way and you can see these change transactions if you look on a chain explorer, but usually wallets don't normally show the low level details the way simplewallet does.

Makes sense, thanks!

You learn something new every day...
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

So it's a ledger system using an atomic units rather than symbolic ones? Worried about my word choice here   Undecided

Kind of, but the atomic units are not atomic units of accounts (like satoshis = 0.00000001 BTC), but atomic outputs whose amounts vary.

If you send 1.5 BTC to a given address X, this address will have one "input" of 1.5 BTC that can later be spent. Later, if the owner of address X wants to send 1 BTC to another address Y, he must destroy entirely the 1.5 input, and create two new outputs: 1 BTC to Y, and 0.5 BTC back to himself.

It's similar to cash actually: to pay 4.5$ you either group several coin of different value to reach 4.5, or you pay with 5$ and the merchant give you 0.5$ back. Except with bitcoin (and monero, and all others) it is not coin and notes but outputs between addresses, and the values of them is not always the same as with coins.
legendary

Thanks,

It's more than just a function served, it's the fundamental way how Bitcoin (and Monero, and all other cryptos) are designed. We don't send and receive amounts, but atomic inputs and outputs. Inputs can only be "spent" entirely, so the only way to "spend" a target amount is too spend one or several inputs entirely, and send the change back to yourself.

So it's a ledger system using an atomic unit rather than a symbolic one? Worried about my word choice here   Undecided
legendary

Thanks,

It's more than just a function served, it's the fundamental way how Bitcoin (and Monero, and all other cryptos) are designed. We don't send and receive amounts, but atomic inputs and outputs. Inputs can only be "spent" entirely, so the only way to "spend" a target amount is too spend one or several inputs entirely, and send the change back to yourself.

So it's a ledger system using an atomic units rather than symbolic ones? Worried about my word choice here   Undecided
legendary
Still wild and free

Thanks,

legendary

Thanks,

legendary

Thanks,

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

Thanks,

i think goes this way, you send out more, in lot as it came in, then the rest comes back. i guess have something with anonymity or just how Cryptonote works.

Iam sure someone will correct me if i am wrong or explain in more crypto understandable language.
Activity: 98

Thanks,
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
maybe a proposal due to the heaty debate on monero/speculation

xcp/counterparty was for maybe two or three months as hard to use as monero is now - they released a web wallet which did not work that well at the beginning but included several new users, even at this point of time some function only work in counterpartyd and not in the webwallet.

I think it would be more clever to even release a wallet which is not fully functional than to release a wallet with is functional and a distant future.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Two questions:

1.) Will the command_server functionality on the development branch be merged into master and rolled out with 0.8.8.5?

2.) If not, has any or all of the following fixes been incorporated into the development branch?: the spam attack patch; block 202612 attack patch; block 202612 attack mitigation and fork fix (via a whole new block blob hash checkpointing system)

Either one of these items would help move things forward on the Monero Client .NET GUI.

Reason being is that, at the moment, we can't use the test version of Monero Client .NET because it requires the command_server functionality in the daemon to properly function. Unfortunately, the latest available bitmonerod.exe binary from the development branch that has this also doesn't have the aforementioned patches incorporated into it, meaning that we can't use it anymore.

On the other hand, the most recent version of Monero Client .NET that does NOT require the binary from the development branch also contains a number of bugs (that have since been fixed in the test version) that make it annoying to use.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Quote from: monero
We are not going to enforce a block-point hard fork, but we would appreciate it if major pools could upgrade by Monday.
Which is best strategy to make upgrade?

a. About per-kb fee (2)* - compile it in Linux as usual. For Windows and FreeBSD wait for the CMake thing (3)* to be ready (if you don't want to lose a week of your time to just compile it).

For now please test the Linux version for non-critical nodes (large pools and exchanges please hold off!) if you are able to do so and help us out with any feedback.

b. About the database (1)* -  for non-critical nodes see a). If you are an exchange or a large pool then DON'T DO IT!

*See Monday-ish Monero Missives - November 2nd, 2014
Disclaimer: Not tested. Try it on your own risk. Backup your wallet first.
legendary
For now please test the Linux version for non-critical nodes (large pools and exchanges please hold off!) if you are able to do so and help us out with any feedback.

The first comment (quote from monero) was about the per-kb fees that is in master, the second (quote from me) about the database branch, which is not in master.

The recommended strategy is to plan to deploy the per-kb Monday but only test the database branch experimentally on non-critical nodes.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Admin of DwarfPool.com

legendary
Still wild and free
Coupled with the relatively shared feeling that we may have touched the bottom, these significant news may finally trigger an upside.
If the news materialize into visible soon, we may definitely break this long fall and get back to growth mode. Growing the community will be up to each of us then.

I feel some positives vibes in the air too!
Activity: 94
There are definitely some positive vibes in the air. Thanks a lot for the update!
Jump to: