Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1291. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Anybody familiar with OpenBazaar source code? How big of an effort do you think it would be to implement an XMR version of it?

ideally we'd need multisig. we're working on a version of it where no one can tell you're using multisig on the blockchain (the tx look the same as any other tx).

Sounds promising!  Smiley
You mean the keys actually involved in the multi sig look the same as usual keys in a ring?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Anybody familiar with OpenBazaar source code? How big of an effort do you think it would be to implement an XMR version of it?

ideally we'd need multisig. we're working on a version of it where no one can tell you're using multisig on the blockchain (the tx look the same as any other tx).
legendary
Still wild and free
Activity: 682
Merit: 540
Give it up

and be consumed by the darkness
Activity: 697
Merit: 500
Poloniex trollbox has been flooded with claims OpenBazaar is about to add XMR. If it turns out to be true ... to the moon..

It's not true, OB devs said "Alts suck". Also, I asked them about it a few months ago, they said in the future they may add altcoins, but for a while they will be sticking with BTC.

It's just rumors to try to pump.

Rumors or not, this coin deserves all that attention

legendary
Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007
Poloniex trollbox has been flooded with claims OpenBazaar is about to add XMR. If it turns out to be true ... to the moon..

It's not true, OB devs said "Alts suck". Also, I asked them about it a few months ago, they said in the future they may add altcoins, but for a while they will be sticking with BTC.

It's just rumors to try to pump.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
It would be foolish not to consider the competitive danger of an "anonymous" cryptocurrency with both a network effect advantage as well as a sable codebase, a working disk based database and a user friendly front end at a time when dark markets are learning they are once again vulnerable because of public blockchains.

The iron may be getting hot. 

Monero needs to be ready to strike.

I am sure, Monero is very solid even now, this group of experienced developers doing great job. New features like database and official GUI wallet will open it for a lot of new users. IIRC it's on the way too and this wallet is not yet another garage rpc frontend.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
I've been reading for quote a while and can't find any answers... has anyone figured out why the bitmonrod is eating up so much bandwidth?  Huh
Its completely tieing up my network. My average download is 1.8 MB/s for hours (even after the bloackchain is caught up) and the upload isn't looking good either.
This is ridiculous.  Roll Eyes I could stream Full HD movies all day and not use this much bandwidth...
I'm not using the wallet until this is fixed for sure.
I like the idea but can't justify the cost. Hope you guys figure it out.

same here

Hey guys,

I installed the new 11 june win64 binaries(just copy pasted over my old ones, like I mostly do) and I try to start bitmonerod to sync the network, but it seems like it never syncs, and on top of that, it SRSLY hang my network bandwith, like 90%. what is wrong?

Can you pastebin the output from the daemon?
im sry u mean the .txt file? its mostly this"Sync data returned unknown top block: 81531 -> 81902" and keeps going on.... the real problem is it hangs my network! I was successfully using the last edition like 12 hours ago! and I cant find the old version of exe anymore because OP updated it... :/

That means it's catching up - it WILL use all the available bandwidth till its caught up, there's no rate-limiting on it.

Remember: Monero is still alpha-level software and is not ready for widespread use or in situations where bandwidth is limited. A lightweight SPV-style client will only happen in the future once we've made everything a lot more robust and stable and workable:)

I have been following monero since its launch. This bitmonerod behavior is not normal, after the update it got buged. I will let it update, but filling up an entire 30/2,5 vdsl line for some 12 hours worth of synching bytes is not normal. It is the first time the exe behaves like that. Plz do fix asap.

edit: apparently it synced, but leaving the bitmonerod open appears to have detrimental effect on the network, im not sure whether this was the case before.

yes, my connection is dying if I leave bitmonerod open when syncing. even my btc miners go offline.  Undecided

legendary
Still wild and free
It would be foolish not to consider the competitive danger of an "anonymous" cryptocurrency with both a network effect advantage as well as a sable codebase, a working disk based database and a user friendly front end at a time when dark markets are learning they are once again vulnerable because of public blockchains.

+1, there is a window of opportunity opening and we should not miss it.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

legendary
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Beware of the Dark.....
Activity: 159

Noob question - What is LMDB and what does it do? I haven't been here for a while
[/quote]

In the original cryptonote reference implementation the whole blockchain is stored in RAM. Bitcoin and Bitcoin-clone coins store it on disk, in a database. As time goes on and it gets larger, having it all in RAM becomes more of a problem.

We have implemented the ability to store the blockchain in a database instead of RAM and LMDB is an open source database package we are using for the first implementation.

tldr: very reduced memory usage

[/quote]

So you solved one of the most important issue Smiley Congratulations Smiley
Happy to be mining Monero again Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Thank you.

How much work is needed to make the DB windows and OS X compatible?

That is the purpose of LMDB implementation

Noob question - What is LMDB and what does it do? I haven't been here for a while

In the original cryptonote reference implementation the whole blockchain is stored in RAM. Bitcoin and Bitcoin-clone coins store it on disk, in a database. As time goes on and it gets larger, having it all in RAM becomes more of a problem.

We have implemented the ability to store the blockchain in a database instead of RAM and LMDB is an open source database package we are using for the first implementation.

tldr: very reduced memory usage

Activity: 159
Thank you.

How much work is needed to make the DB windows and OS X compatible?

That is the purpose of LMDB implementation

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Hey Guys, question. I'm interested in running a monero pool. Ive been playing around with node-cryptonote-pool in ubuntu and I set it up. I'd like to now see if I can get it working in a windows computer. Can the pool run on a Windows 7 Pro pc? (reason I ask is that my windows 7 pc is faster and newer).

Don't think so, this is not plain JS code, you have to compile extensions like https://github.com/zone117x/node-multi-hashing. Not sure it will compile by default without tweaks. I guess you wanna run it for soloing? Then better install a VM or rent some cheap VPS with enough amount of RAM.

Or boot Linux. Easy to do without disturbing your Windows install with a USB stick, external HD, etc.
legendary
Hey Guys, question. I'm interested in running a monero pool. Ive been playing around with node-cryptonote-pool in ubuntu and I set it up. I'd like to now see if I can get it working in a windows computer. Can the pool run on a Windows 7 Pro pc? (reason I ask is that my windows 7 pc is faster and newer).

Don't think so, this is not plain JS code, you have to compile extensions like https://github.com/zone117x/node-multi-hashing. Not sure it will compile by default without tweaks. I guess you wanna run it for soloing? Then better install a VM or rent some cheap VPS with enough amount of RAM.
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
Jump to: