Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1300. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Activity: 350
Posting this anyways, because I'd really like to know if anyone knows why simplewallet hung when I typed save  Undecided

Also, maybe someone else will have this problem, if it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

OH GOD!  Shocked Shocked

What did I do?

Code:
2014-Nov-01 02:06:56.478112 [RPC1]ERROR c:\users\ric_000\desktop\bitmonero\src\r
pc\core_rpc_server.h:68 Failed to on_get_blocks()

What happened:

1. fresh sync using a windows computer, dl'd blockchain from OP.

2. opened wallet file, synced from when it last was opened a few days ago, it picked up new tx's and showed the right balance

3. typed save, the program hung and displayed nothing after 'enter', just went to a new line (cursor was blinking)

4. got bored of staring at it, so I called its bluff, and closed the window

5. went to open wallet, printed: failed to read file 'wallet name'

6. moved the 'wallet name' file out of the directory, leave 'wallet name.keys' file in place

7. re-opened wallet, got above code in bitmonerod 4 times in a row (even with refresh command), got below code in simplewallet once:

Code:
Error: refresh failed: no connection to daemon. Please, make sure daemon is runn
ing. Blocks received: 0

I don't have det seed/viewkey

SOLVED: What I did that made it work was typing exit in simplewallet (made new 'wallet name' file), then restarted daemons and comp and now it's syncing happily no errors. I prob only needed to type 'exit' to make the 'wallet name' file, think I had to do something like this before .. but I def don't remember the simplewallet hanging.

This (hanging) has happened on more than one occasion, and might possibly be related to running different cryptonote daemons on the same computer.

Here's the log file at step 4, :

Code:
2014-Nov-01 02:05:30.943162 Read command: save
2014-Nov-01 02:05:46.792789 Got control signal 2. Exiting without saving...

No errors reported, the next line is opening the wallet back up, and the previous lines are just the orig sync

Also, I feel it's extremely important to say that I've decided to use Monero to heat my place for the coming winter, thanks for the savings Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
MONERO DEV
what's this
 -54 day .... from 2 IP
http://i58.tinypic.com/26204eb.jpg
I'm excited and worried
You're connected to a peer who is still on the block 202612 attack fork. I'm surprised to see that fork still exists at all. I suppose some people just don't update their clients at all. Nonetheless, there is no harm to you and you can safely ignore it.
I had the same thing. Glad to hear it does not matter.

If possible, a statement from the MONERO developers

Thanks  Wink

xulescu's reply was correct.

I'm also surprised there are still so many stuck nodes. Safe to ignore.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
silencesilence read the old post if you want a response from a dev

@xulescu is a XMR DEV
Activity: 109
silencesilence read the old post if you want a response from a dev
legendary
MONERO DEV
what's this
 -54 day .... from 2 IP
I'm excited and worried
You're connected to a peer who is still on the block 202612 attack fork. I'm surprised to see that fork still exists at all. I suppose some people just don't update their clients at all. Nonetheless, there is no harm to you and you can safely ignore it.

If possible, a statement from the MONERO developers

Thanks  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
MONERO DEV

what's this

-54 day .... from 1 IP

I'm excited and worried

I saw this too but everything worked as expected so I ignored it.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
MONERO DEV

what's this

-54 day .... from 1 IP

I'm excited and worried

Activity: 263
Merit: 250
MONERO DEV

what's this

-54 day .... from 1 IP

I'm excited and worried

legendary
MONERO DEV

what's this

-54 day .... from 2 IP

I'm excited and worried
Activity: 70
Activity: 350
Firstly, note that the outdated firefox browser was the weak link, an implementation issue which led to the knowledge of 'TOR usage'. This type of discovery would likely place your IP address at a high enough 'score' to record data.

Firstly, note that the "was outdated" excuse got installed after Snowden blown the lid of. Firefox is infected purposefully and on a whole. Each and every version.

Based on what evidence?

I agree, I would like the link to the leak here.

Either way .. does this detract from the statement that onion routing is reasonably effective, or does this illuminating leak discuss that as well? I would love to know!

Just so we're on the same page (I think thats possible?), I'm not saying onion routing = firefox btw.
Activity: 280
Just for the record though, if you seek for a good place to look for serious anonymity https://qubes-os.org/ is what you should look first (and probably last).
Maybe XMR implementation within this OS should be adequate enough for 99% of the users out there.

Thanks for that. I haven't tried Tails yet, but both look interesting.

I was looking up secure browsers yesterday, and found these of interest:
  • Comodo Dragon/IceDragon
  • Whitehat Aviator

Has anyone tried any of these?
Q
Activity: 280
Hi All. I'm going to transfer some money into BTC tomorrow morning. I want to purchase some more XMR but I'm worried. Where is the bottom? .0017? .0016? .0015? Anyone have any idea ? I'm going to guess .0016 but who knows.

It depend if you can handle a little loss or not.

If you want a safe technique, here it is :

- take half of your FIAT and buy BTC straight
 - divide your BTC into multiple buy orders for XMR
 - in case XMR get lower, you'll be buying lower and your average buy price will stay close to the actual price
 - do the same with FIAT/BTC, divide your investment into multiple buy orders
 - add more buy orders for XMR as you get more BTC

IMO, the price could get lower but not that much. On the long term it is highly probable that there will be multiple bubbles (pump), so a lot of opportunities to sell high.

I concur. Pretty much an exact description of my strategy since early June. :-)
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Hi All. I'm going to transfer some money into BTC tomorrow morning. I want to purchase some more XMR but I'm worried. Where is the bottom? .0017? .0016? .0015? Anyone have any idea ? I'm going to guess .0016 but who knows.

It depend if you can handle a little loss or not.

If you want a safe technique, here it is :

- take half of your FIAT and buy BTC straight
 - divide your BTC into multiple buy orders for XMR
 - in case XMR get lower, you'll be buying lower and your average buy price will stay close to the actual price
 - do the same with FIAT/BTC, divide your investment into multiple buy orders
 - add more buy orders for XMR as you get more BTC

IMO, the price could get lower but not that much. On the long term it is highly probable that there will be multiple bubbles (pump), so a lot of opportunities to sell high.
XDO
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Therefore, it seems that there is still an important usage case for having the software make effortless the management of multiple Monero addresses (or accounts, if you prefer). While Monero seems to get rid of the need to generate and manage a new address for every single transaction, there is still a need to generate and manage new addresses for each privacy case where external cross-referencing might be plausible.

I made some software exactly for this a while ago. Download from: https://github.com/xdo-soft/CryptoNoteMultiWalletMonitor

Hope it's useful.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
i got polo addy to deposit btc to buy dat Mo Nero

1FkQ5m1NW8mZLWDupedbtjSUZ18hqBLAqk

go head and lolz now but cry later

or something like that, i forget
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Firstly, note that the outdated firefox browser was the weak link, an implementation issue which led to the knowledge of 'TOR usage'. This type of discovery would likely place your IP address at a high enough 'score' to record data.

Firstly, note that the "was outdated" excuse got installed after Snowden blown the lid of. Firefox is infected purposefully and on a whole. Each and every version.

Based on what evidence?
Activity: 21
xyeвo........
on Russian it means: "badly that did not return"
Activity: 687
Merit: 500
novag
Activity: 21
Mintpal returned you coins? Huh
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

Second, everybody who is a human "scores". You are a suspect regardless of your action. Labor camps are still due to construction.

Surveillance and forced work are the foundation pillars of every dictatorship. Watch Animals Farm, read 1984, then you know.
Have a nice day.
Jump to: