Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1305. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 192
Merit: 100
XMR Monero looked good, good concept, not bad forum threads, so I started mining with 3 AMD GPUs R9 280x and an FX8320E 8-Core CPU (GPUs: 1550 h/s with Linux claymore GPU Miner 9.1, CPU: 310 h/s with Wolfs CPU Miner). After the first 10 XMR autopay to an exchange account I can tell:
>the XMR earnings give me a horrible relation to the expensive european power costs, about 20 %, very unprofitable, you can also say: GPU/CPU Mining is a complete nonsense (I am still in it only for fun :-)
(>X11-Multi Coins Mining is much better and complete without dev-fees, but also not profitable (here around 30% of my costs are covered by revenues))
(>BTC today down to 337 $ (also with newest asics no more hope for ROI with SHA-256 and scypt))
>bad luck, XMR/BTC fell 20 %
>and late I discovered that a single XMR-Pool represents over 60 % of the total XMR Hashrate (we learned that everything near and more than 51% is big evil)
It seems to me, that the only people with a positive cash flow in this game are the several devs.
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
My computer only has 8GB of ram - it crashing every time i run bitmonerd? what can I do without buying more memory?

people run it with 3 gb. so i am sure you can solve it.  You never run it in past? or is recent issue?
i am no pro, but i am sure people will help you. maybe try on IRC for faster answers.

Im at work, cant access IRC from here. It just started to happen 2 days ago. How are people running it on 3GB? Earlier this morning I checked a friends computer and it was showing Bitmonerod using 10GB out of 16GB usage?

I'm running it with 4GB RAM, works very well. Here's a guide that David posted on the Monero forum: https://forum.monero.cc/5/support/74/increase-swap-space-for-blockchain (applies to Linux, but I'd be surprised if you can't increase your swap space in Windows as well)
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
RAM usage is continuing to get worse as well. I have 7.67/8GB in use now and rising as it's syncing.
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
My computer only has 8GB of ram - it crashing every time i run bitmonerd? what can I do without buying more memory?

people run it with 3 gb. so i am sure you can solve it.  You never run it in past? or is recent issue?
i am no pro, but i am sure people will help you. maybe try on IRC for faster answers.

Im at work, cant access IRC from here. It just started to happen 2 days ago. How are people running it on 3GB? Earlier this morning I checked a friends computer and it was showing Bitmonerod using 10GB out of 16GB usage?
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

Activity: 509
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
Moneritos makes me hungry. Sounds like biscuits to me  Grin
It is perfect for a millionth of a monero, thanks to the crypto kingdom game for expanding this term.
It actually should be moneretos in Esperanto. I believe this is a small enough change to be implementatable.

moneretoj Wink

anyway, people who play Crypto Kingdom can choose whatever they would like to call their units.
I don't really care, i'm not a grammer nazi. I just find the Esperanto references a lot of fun  Grin

edit: maybe monereto is a nice expression for the smallest unit: 0.000000000001 XMR (also known as tacoshi Smiley )
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Moneritos makes me hungry. Sounds like biscuits to me  Grin
It is perfect for a millionth of a monero, thanks to the crypto kingdom game for expanding this term.
It actually should be moneretos in Esperanto. I believe this is a small enough change to be implementatable.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
Let's write a recommendation "do not mine on moneropool.com" at the first 'intro' ('sticky') page of this thread!

As i know few times in past happened that moneropool.com, blocked new users to join it, only the ones that mined there in past was able to. this they do until their hash power fall under 35%. I am sure will do the same. When price falls, hash power decrease and is hard to them to modify. Is not good that pool owner would actually kick people off, if that is possible at all. This thread dont need recommendation you proposed, just pool owner should be alerted. As it is right now is perfect, first are posted pools which gives all fee to developers. More should go mine there.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Has anyone written up a guide to reading the blockchain?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Activity: 243
Merit: 125
I think the issue is that the network hashrate is calculated from the diff, which is I think is based on blocks in the last 24 hours, I believe it's just (diff/(60*1024^2)), while I think the pools calculate their hashrate based on average diff of blocks in the last 10 or 30 minutes, so they are basing the two numbers on a different starting point. With that being said, it does seem strange how it always seems like the sum of the pools is greater than the reported network hashrate, but maybe that just has to do with the fact that I usually check it in the morning time of the USA.

If you look at the pie chart here: http://minexmr.com/pools.html
It says the network rate is 18.6 Mh/s while the sum of the known pools hashrate is 22 Mh/s, and that's not including solo miners as well as private/unknown pools Huh

In any event, if you want to support the network, you probably shouldn't mine at moneropool.com, I think this much is obvious...

Let's write a recommendation "do not mine on moneropool.com" at the first 'intro' ('sticky') page of this thread!
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
It's free choice but practicality will win once again. people just don't care about esperanto or correct grammar that much and monero will be 'moneros' in plural for most people cause they simply don't care or don't know about the correct esperanto grammar, even though monero is an esperanto word meaning 'coin'.

Moneros def what will be used.
Activity: 700
Merit: 250
I believe moneroj or moneros could be used equally. Technically moneroj is the correct plural because monero is an esperanto word. Many people also attach "s" to things they consider plural, like car(s). So it could potentially go both ways.

It's free choice but practicality will win once again. people just don't care about esperanto or correct grammar that much and monero will be 'moneros' in plural for most people cause they simply don't care or don't know about the correct esperanto grammar, even though monero is an esperanto word meaning 'coin'.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I believe moneroj or moneros could be used equally. Technically moneroj is the correct plural because monero is an esperanto word. Many people also attach "s" to things they consider plural, like car(s). So it could potentially go both ways.
Activity: 700
Merit: 250
Well, in Portugal (or euro portuguese) we pronounce euros as euroj so its all the same to us.

I'm with you papa_lazzarou  Wink
I think an English speaker would pronounce it -mo-ne-ro-ge- if matching the Portuguese pronunciation of Moneroj.

For some reason, I just like Moneritos so much better (as a general term, not as the plural of Monero).
I suppose it's just personal sentiment.

actually, I just looked it up.
The diminutive of "monero" is "monereto"  Wink
And the plural is, off course, moneretoj   Grin

moneritos makes me hungry too. I think of doritos  LOL

in brazilian portuguese it would be 'monerinhos' Wink

the plural 'moneros' is perhaps better suited for mass appeal in the real world.. rather than 'moneroy'.. cryptocurrencies are already hard enough to understand for most people so it's better to keep it simple. the natural plural would be moneros for most people, without a doubt, naturally.
actually also spend some time checking up on esperanto, interesting stuff.
Activity: 54
Merit: 257
Original post is here

Monero Monday Missives

October 27th, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our sixteenth Monero Monday Missive!

Major Updates

1. We have made major strides in the initial database implementation (you'll recall from our last Missive that our first implementation will use LMDB), and it is very nearly ready for broader testing. Specifically: the new blockchain is working for most things, but there are bugs with certain aspects of block verification that need to be fixed before it can be more widely tested. If you are particularly intrepid you can already grab it here: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/blockchain and compile it, and thus assist in identifying areas where it breaks down, although such reports are probably best submitted as github issues to tewinget's repository to reduce duplication. Once these and any other major issues have been weeded out the next steps would involve a bit of refactoring, fix cross-platform nigglies, and open it up for general testing.

2. The testing of per-kb fees on testnet, too, has gone exceedingly well. We will be adding the functionality to simplewallet (previously it required manual creation) and hope to deploy that for general testing within the next week.

3. Kitware staff, Ben Boeckel in particular, have spent a lot of time completely reworking our CMake build system and bringing it up to best practices. The fruits of those efforts can be seen on the Pull Request currently undergoing testing: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/pull/180 (feel free to checkout this PR if you'd like to test). Now that the build system is starting to come together in its final form, we are hoping to use it to tag and release 0.8.8.5 during the course of next week.

4. In order to more efficiently deal with changes in the on-disk wallet format we are moving away from the old serialised+encrypted .keys format, and have a new format which is effectively encrypted JSON. This change allows us to note the wordlist language in the wallet format (so that the "seed" command can reflect that choice) and allows for cross-platform compatibility of the .keys file, which we are sure is excellent news for anyone that moves wallets between operating systems and architectures. You can test this in PR 179.

5. There have been a constant string of improvements and changes to the forum software to make it more usable and useful. In particular, new comments in a thread are highlighted within that thread. Additionally, unread threads (or threads with new unread comments) are highlighted by having a green dot next to them. Both of these apply to logged in users only. If you haven't visited the forum, you are encouraged to do so: https://forum.monero.cc

Dev Diary

Core: LMDB implementation is rough but nearly working (details above). Worth testing cross-platform, least of all from a build perspective.

Core: since we have already had to perform the rather annoyingly complex task of offloading MoneroPulse checkpoint checks to a separate thread (so as not to tie anything up during checks) we have begun extending this to other parts of the core that could potentially be or currently are pain points. This does not include the flat-file blockchain saving, as that is going to be deprecated with the move to LMDB, so pools will just need to hang on and deal with that nuisance for a little bit longer.

Build: CMake is looking a lot cleaner and easier to grok. It also fixes cross-compile (see: http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Cross_Compiling) which means that binaries for all our major supported platforms can be built on a single system.

Account: multilang wordlists are now inherent to the wallet/account, so that RPC and CLI calls that retrieve the mnemonic do so in the correct format. This has, in turn, necessitated moving away from the horrible serialised data format for account data. Since epee's JSON library is beyond redemption, we have opted to use RapidJSON instead (which is headers-only and thus straight in the source tree).

Until next week!

PS. this Missive has the very great honour of being the first one to be finalised and very nearly posted from the airWink

- updated by fluffypony
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
I am surprised the blockchain is already 2.1 GB  Huh
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
It's read as written, Moneroj. I don't know where you get that rosh or roy. It's ROJ.
Not, it's roy.
"As written" means nothing and is ethnocentric. How do you pronounce the Slovene first name Jana? As written? Well, for Slovene, "as written" is "yana", whilst for English natives, "as written" is "jana". Who is right? The Slovenes, since this is a Slovene first name.

Same here. Moneroj is Esperanto, so the Esperanto pronunciation applies, not the English ones.

And it is "moneroy" (source).
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
Well, in Portugal (or euro portuguese) we pronounce euros as euroj so its all the same to us.

I'm with you papa_lazzarou  Wink
I think an English speaker would pronounce it -mo-ne-ro-ge- if matching the Portuguese pronunciation of Moneroj.

For some reason, I just like Moneritos so much better (as a general term, not as the plural of Monero).
I suppose it's just personal sentiment.

actually, I just looked it up.
The diminutive of "monero" is "monereto"  Wink
And the plural is, off course, moneretoj   Grin

moneritos makes me hungry too. I think of doritos  LOL
Jump to: