Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1311. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1019
All-time low in Poloniex?
Activity: 644
Merit: 502

Low       Low
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
170... This is not good. Embarrassed
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
It's Never End
 Grin yeah the price make me dizzy .__. but i ll be waiting
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
Dark/Ducknote has promised PoS in a cryptonote. I don't see how this is really possible, considering that if you reveal to the network the amount of coins you're holding (and possibly how long you've been holding them) how you/your address remains anonymous, but they're implementation is supposed to be revealed in the next several months, so...we shall see.

Some will just refuse to reveal, others beein absolutely open on their wealthes. And all in between, so a variable slider for participation in the staking process would be a requirement. Or a simple on/off switch since one is allowed to own two wallets Cheesy
edit: remember you can create/transfer wallets anonymously.
Btw Duck was quacky, shouldn't have changed their name. Another argument for keeping things running on their path, once started.

Apologies guys - I fell asleep last night as I was about to post it (product of jet lag). I'm at the airport in Dubai, and as soon as I've managed to sit down and pull my laptop out I'll post it.

At least you are now a part of Igor Cassini's jet lag class. So let us keep the price up, or fluffypony cannot afford the backflight ticked having to settle down in the desert. 17 is hardly enough for a tent.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
These prices are too low, I thought 0.003 was too low!

I am disillusioned here. What to do?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I'm so tired...
Guys can you please post that missive so that I can go to bed?...  Cheesy

Smooth said that fluffypony was travelling, so there could be some delay.

Apologies guys - I fell asleep last night as I was about to post it (product of jet lag). I'm at the airport in Dubai, and as soon as I've managed to sit down and pull my laptop out I'll post it.
Activity: 266
Price continues to fall...
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
So ... I'm sleepy but been staying up for the missives.  Is it worth staying up more :p
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Interesting. What if Monero eventually became partly PoS, similar to Peercoin or partly DPoS like Bitshares? It would have annual % increase, so even after the entire supply is mined out, you still get a certain % of coins every year proportional the # of coins you hold?

Interesting suggestions! How are the Techies about the working parts, someone want to explain?

I heard PoS is not exactly included in Ringsignatures. Just PoS would tackle that 75-percentage Botnet Pool issue, hitting two birds with one stone.
Wagering a bet ... a new CN coin, new emission curve and mining algorithm will popup. As mentioned Monero is a running story where you cannot really change it's direction or destination in between. Observed myself beeing bummed over the TX-fees change. The lesser you change afterwards, the better for reputation.

Dark/Ducknote has promised PoS in a cryptonote. I don't see how this is really possible, considering that if you reveal to the network the amount of coins you're holding (and possibly how long you've been holding them) how you/your address remains anonymous, but they're implementation is supposed to be revealed in the next several months, so...we shall see.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
Interesting. What if Monero eventually became partly PoS, similar to Peercoin or partly DPoS like Bitshares? It would have annual % increase, so even after the entire supply is mined out, you still get a certain % of coins every year proportional the # of coins you hold?

Interesting suggestions! How are the Techies about the working parts, someone want to explain?

I heard PoS is not exactly included in Ringsignatures. Just PoS would tackle that 75-percentage Botnet Pool issue, hitting two birds with one stone.
Wagering a bet ... a new CN coin, new emission curve and mining algorithm will popup. As mentioned Monero is a running story where you cannot really change it's direction or destination in between. Observed myself beeing bummed over the TX-fees change. The lesser you change afterwards, the better for reputation.
I hope so.  I hate PoS
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
It would have annual % increase, so even after the entire supply is mined out, you still get a certain % of coins every year proportional the # of coins you hold?

Just tell me what the wonder is the idea behind giving more coins in proportion of the existing coins? What does it accomplish?

Secure the blockchain with PoS after there is no longer incentive enough to mine from miner rewards.

Unlikely, but perhaps someday someone like another Satoshi (or perhaps the original one!) will come along with a true innovation in that area. For now it is crypto snake oil.

https://download.wpsoftware.net/bitcoin/pos.pdf

"Distributed Consensus from Proof of Stake is Impossible"

Let's stick with what really works on this coin for now.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001
Wouldn't a longer/lower emissions curve benefit everyone?

It wouldn't clearly benefit miners, unless the price went up enough to offset the reduced rewards. If some of the miners depart, the coin becomes less secure.

It wouldn't necessarily benefit the reputation or adoption of the coin, since it looks like an instamine. If you have been involved for the past six months, you got the benefit of large numbers of coins being minted and traded at low (and even increasingly lower) prices. Then mining gets cut and everyone but the early adopters gets to fight over a smaller supply, or pay up to buy from early adopters' stashes.

It also wouldn't necessarily benefit confidence in (and again reputation of) the coin. If it is considered acceptable to change once, it could be acceptable to change again. No one knows where that leads, and it is hard for anyone who is buying to know what he or she is buying.

Also a slower curve now means higher inflation later, for a longer period of time. Pay now or pay later?

This is not a the sort of change to be made lightly. I most certainly preferred a slower curve at the start. Now, I'm not sure the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Changing the emission rate now should be a non starter.  The time to make that change has come and gone.  Just talking about it spooks some people.
It would have annual % increase, so even after the entire supply is mined out, you still get a certain % of coins every year proportional the # of coins you hold?

Just tell me what the wonder is the idea behind giving more coins in proportion of the existing coins? What does it accomplish?

Secure the blockchain with PoS after there is no longer incentive enough to mine from miner rewards.
Activity: 182

You got me. I hadn't thought it out, was just pelting ideas in the open. But I have to say, Bitshares DPoS(Delegated Proof of Stake) is interesting. It would be interesting to see if it would benefit by incorporating it into Monero.
Activity: 252
Grabbed this from the DRK thread, thought that anyone trading on Poloniex would like to know .. seeing as how Poloniex is such a large part of our volume.

http://altcoinpress.com/2014/10/fincen-ruling-us-government-ramps-up-war-on-cryptocurrency/

*Sigh* I need to pull mine off but I'm afraid to.  Maybe the devs have a webwallet.

With the ITO/ICO's Poloniex has gotten involved in (from what I understand)

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/sec-sends-inquiry-letters-hundreds-bitcoin-companies-unregistered-securities/

That might make it even worse.

Edit:  Looks like this news spooked someone - back down to 17's

I imagine some US based exchanges may find it desirable to move offshore sooner rather than later, but then one or two may feel there is more longterm value in staying and becoming more regulated as that would inspire more customer confidence. That would probably mean higher fees compared to the offshore exchanges, whether there is enough value in the altcoin market to support it I don't know.

All the more reason to be dealing in a currency that is inherently untraceable beyond the sender, limits the amount of data "they" can acquire with the addition of AML/KYC info to exchange accounts.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
Activity: 350
waxo has some professional contact with filmmakers. He lives in Paris, we are in excellent terms and I plan to see him at the beginning of December. Interested?

Not sure about the level of seriousness about this film yet.

I could fish at a media outlet well known for Documentaries, Films, and Videos as well, if you would like?

I'll ask this weekend, or Monday about services or interests relating to such a thing. I think the last thing they covered was a bit different than Monero, in relation to alternative currencies, though.

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
About the movie, we can start very simply by thinking about few questions around Monero :
 - How did you discover Monero ?
 - What interested you at first ?
 - Why are you supporting it ?
 - What is your contribution on the project ?
 - How do you imagine Monero in 3 years ?
You can add or remove questions. The point is to have something interesting to say on every point.
Having different answers will show the variety of people around the project but also how united people are.
Being that you are French I think you should produce the movie.

I will not do it alone. Everyone will participate and I'll find someone competent for the editing.
waxo has some professional contact with filmmakers. He lives in Paris, we are in excellent terms and I plan to see him at the beginning of December. Interested?
Jump to: