Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1315. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I think what I might do is just get rid of the network hashrate all together, and report a large pool pie chart with the sum of their hashrates and a small pool pie chart with the sum of their hashrates, and if they don't all sum up to the network hashrate...ohwells. That way everything is self-consistent at least.

It'll be less accurate than coming up with a better estimate of network hashrate because of private pools (or pools you just don't know about) and solo mining but it would be less misleading that the current estimate I think.

legendary
Are there any serious contenders for decentralized anonymous transactions besides the other Cryptonotes?

Not yet. Zerocash maybe in the future, but we will have to see how that is received once it exists. Also, a Cryptonote-like BTC side chain might exist someday.

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
Are there any serious contenders for decentralized anonymous transactions besides the other Cryptonotes?
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
I think the easiest and least confusing thing to do is just drop the percentages from the pie slices.

The sizes of the pie slices don't look right either, assuming the numbers are right. But who knows which is correct at this point.

It's definitely related to the poor estimation of network hashrate from the diff (calculated either as diff/60e6 or diff/(60*1024*1024), in this case the latter). The sum of the pools queried comes out to be greater than the calculated network hashrate; here are the two numbers from a test I just ran:

Network hashrate 17.314610274632773
Sum of pools 19.461517835617066

where network hashrate is calculated from diff and sum of pools is just the sum of all the pools self-reported hashrates. I'm not sure what the best way to fix this is. Just report the total network hashrate as the sum of all reporting pools? Figure out a more accurate way to calculate network hashrate from the diff? I'd be glad to hear any suggestions.

I see.

The self-reported hash rate is probably calculated over a different time window than the network difficulty (likely shorter, since the network difficulty uses 12 hours and that is pretty long for monitoring a pool). You'd likely have to figure out the time window used by the pool software and make your own estimate of the network hash rate based on the sum of block difficulties on the network during that time window.

I think what I might do is just get rid of the network hashrate all together, and report a large pool pie chart with the sum of their hashrates and a small pool pie chart with the sum of their hashrates, and if they don't all sum up to the network hashrate...ohwells. That way everything is self-consistent at least.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Devs release the GUI wallet and blockchain db pruning!
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
everybody wants to buy at a low price .... but this only worsens the situation ..... miners refuse, and this leads to a rather weak network, less confidence and many people will turn to other coins. And when attention be transferred to other coin ..... all is lost

than 3 days I stopped mining because I'm at a loss

I'm not going to buy because of the promise of a bright future for XMR is not live, I'll keep what I've mining
maybe sell them after 2-3 years who knows if I will not ... I will lost electricity for four months for my rig

I am a little excited by these ridiculous monero prices

PS
vicious circle is as follows

difficulty falling and falling the price, because other people get more coins at the lower difficulty and they still sell at low price

You seem a little jittery. Try not to panic. Monero is going through a transition phase from its initial fast emission, and should settle down over the next 6 months.

Remember that the emission rate is constantly dropping, and the monthly increase as a percentage of the current total supply is dropping even faster. To give you an idea, there were over 25k XMR/day being produced early on and that has now dropped to under 20k. In another 6 months it will be down to 15k and a year after that below 10k/day.
Hope that help, Q
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
why monero fall so hard lately?  Huh
It's Never End
moneropool.com   12.41 MH/s  Huh it's BOTNET ??

i think yeah, but why this admin pool just silent .__. not see the pool get more than 51% network hash .-.
It's Never End
 Cry i hate the price .___.
legendary
Activity: 1120
moneropool.com   12.41 MH/s  Huh it's BOTNET ??
legendary
I think the easiest and least confusing thing to do is just drop the percentages from the pie slices.

The sizes of the pie slices don't look right either, assuming the numbers are right. But who knows which is correct at this point.

It's definitely related to the poor estimation of network hashrate from the diff (calculated either as diff/60e6 or diff/(60*1024*1024), in this case the latter). The sum of the pools queried comes out to be greater than the calculated network hashrate; here are the two numbers from a test I just ran:

where network hashrate is calculated from diff and sum of pools is just the sum of all the pools self-reported hashrates. I'm not sure what the best way to fix this is. Just report the total network hashrate as the sum of all reporting pools? Figure out a more accurate way to calculate network hashrate from the diff? I'd be glad to hear any suggestions.

I see.

The self-reported hash rate is probably calculated over a different time window than the network difficulty (likely shorter, since the network difficulty uses 12 hours and that is pretty long for monitoring a pool). You'd likely have to figure out the time window used by the pool software and make your own estimate of the network hash rate based on the sum of block difficulties on the network during that time window.

legendary
Activity: 1120
everybody wants to buy at a low price .... but this only worsens the situation ..... miners refuse, and this leads to a rather weak network, less confidence and many people will turn to other coins. And when attention be transferred to other coin ..... all is lost

than 3 days I stopped mining because I'm at a loss

I'm not going to buy because of the promise of a bright future for XMR is not live, I'll keep what I've mining
maybe sell them after 2-3 years who knows if I will not ... I will lost electricity for four months for my rig

I am a little excited by these ridiculous monero prices

PS
vicious circle is as follows

difficulty falling and falling the price, because other people get more coins at the lower difficulty and they still sell at low price
legendary

legendary

legendary
WTF?!

How does a simple percentage calculation like that get so messed up?

I think it's a combination of two things. One, the percent is calculated automatically by matplotlib and represents the pools % of hash among the large pools shown on that graph, not in relation to the total network hashrate (Edit: nevermind, this should be total network hashrate, I need some coffee, and will think about it more later...). The other thing is that for some reason the node-js pool software uses 1024 instead of 1000 to convert to kilo/mega hash, byte units instead of SI units? I didn't even know this was a thing.

Edit2: It seems to be mostly related to a poor estimation of the network hashrate based on the diff. I've been calculation the network hashrate as diff/60e6, and this ends up where the sum of the sum of the pools is greater than this calculated number for network hashrate...
Activity: 400
Merit: 263
I am happily mining at http://cryptonotepool.org.uk/. Very stable, never misses a beat and donates 100% of the 1% Fee to the Monero devs.
legendary
You have to fix charts, 10MH is not 46% of 17.

This is a good point Huh I'll try and look at it today or tomorrow and then bug xnbya and PCFil if/when I figure it out...

I think maybe it has to do with inaccurate network hash calculated from last pool queried reported diff. Anyway, it still gives a relative idea of where you should/should not send your hashes I think.
legendary
You can always check pool hash distribution here ( http://minexmr.com/pools.html ) and here ( http://xmr.poolto.be/#alternative ). Here is a sample of the big pool distribution from the last 30 min (I think this image should stay up-to-date):

Please support one of these pools or another pool who you think is helping to support the network, not just the pool with the easiest to remember/type domain name Wink

WTF?!

How does a simple percentage calculation like that get so messed up?

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
You can always check pool hash distribution here ( http://minexmr.com/pools.html ) and here ( http://xmr.poolto.be/#alternative ). Here is a sample of the big pool distribution from the last 30 min (I think this image should stay up-to-date):

Please support one of these pools or another pool who you think is helping to support the network, not just the pool with the easiest to remember/type domain name Wink

FYI, if you are using nethash reported by daemon it's right value. Open source pools reporting incorrect hashrate using weird division by 1024 instead of 1000 to report Kilo, and Mega units.
legendary

Please support one of these pools (minexmr.com or xmr.poolto.be) or another pool who you think is helping to support the network, not just the pool with the easiest to remember/type domain name Wink
Jump to: