Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1348. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 198
Merit: 100
Monero buy time, again :-)

I was just too late. Literally typed in the order to buy a large chunk of the wall when someone else did.

Unfortunate but still not too late!
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

I was just too late. Literally typed in the order to buy a large chunk of the wall when someone else did.
Activity: 198
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Low hashrate? Smiley

OMG LOL! I really need to drink one more coffee!
I've read it 64.55 H/sec...

OK, going to hide under a rock and find a coffee very quick!
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
We have few more physical Monero coins (brass, silver plated) available for free while our site is not officially launched. Please PM me if you want to get one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bstp1domvay61wv/new%20coin.mp4?dl=0

They are superb!!!!

i just have it ._.  Grin

Oh, so it's not only me who tried to get monero on such low hash rates...
I am thinking now if I should continue or not.. I wanted to reach 250 XMR, but I am at ~25% of that goal and it looks more and more.. unreachable.

Low hashrate? Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
We have few more physical Monero coins (brass, silver plated) available for free while our site is not officially launched. Please PM me if you want to get one.

They are superb!!!!

i just have it ._.  Grin

Oh, so it's not only me who tried to get monero on such low hash rates...
I am thinking now if I should continue or not.. I wanted to reach 250 XMR, but I am at ~25% of that goal and it looks more and more.. unreachable.
Activity: 99
XMR is the future.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
It's Never End

i just have it ._.  Grin
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
I for one fired up 3 GPU's for mining recently.
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
who sell at these prices ....? can no longer pay their electricity for mining Angry  Angry  Angry

Network
Hash Rate: 27.05 MH/sec
Block Found: about a minute ago
Difficulty: 1701572249
Blockchain Height: 257768
Last Reward: 13.7911 XMR

Perhaps someone has access to their companies server farm and is 'borrowing' them for a little XMR mining? Tongue

Gee, ya think?
Something along those lines is the general consensus, I believe.

There are other possibilities as well. I have a few cpus and gpus at school that I own, but don't pay power for. Also, not everyone's electricity rates are equal. I'm pretty cheap here in Texas (0.08 $/kWh) compared to Europe (I think more like 0.30 $/kWh for the most part), but I think in parts of western Washington State electricity is as cheap as 0.01-0.02 $/kWh - in the wise words of The Black Sheep, "you can't beat that with a bat".

You are correct that there are certainly multiple possibilities to explain the cycle.  But, your examples, like your "few cpus and gpus at school" are likely too rare and diminutive to account for the roughly 6 or 7 Mhash difference between the "base" hashrate of ~20 Mhash and the peak of ~27 Mh.

Maths:
If a rather decent CPU or GPU can hash ~300 h/sec, let's call it 333.33 h/s for simplicity. So, 3 processors can produce 1 khash. So, 30 proc's produce 10kh, 300 proc's produce 100kh, and it requires roughly 3000 processors to produce 1 Mhash.

With my (optimistic) example of 333.33 h/s per processor, roughly 20,000 CPU's and GPU's would be required to account for the 6 to 7 Mhash difference.  That is not going to come from a few students' educational rigs.

(multi-core server CPU's can hash more, but 333 h/s is roughly equal to a mid-range 8-core Xeon)

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I'm going to throw a guess out - Botnet?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
The increase in hash rate could simply be due to colder weather in the northern hemisphere. We must not forget that many people use electricity either entirely of partially for space heating in the fall and winter. In such a situation mining Monero with existing computing equipment is essentially free.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

That's an interesting theory and makes sense. Especially if the oscillation are consistent like that. Similarly it could be a person using their corporate servers only during business hours or something. But with that you might see only a m to f oscillation if that was the case. Either way it's pretty interesting.

Is this hashrate with the relatively low price point at the moment unprecedented?

Yes,  we are all expecting a huge surge in price tomorrow
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
You are correct that there are certainly multiple possibilities to explain the cycle.  But, your examples, like your "few cpus and gpus at school" are likely too rare and diminutive to account for the roughly 6 or 7 Mhash difference between the "base" hashrate of ~20 Mhash and the peak of ~27 Mh.

Maths:
If a rather decent CPU or GPU can hash ~300 h/sec, let's call it 333.33 h/s for simplicity. So, 3 processors can produce 1 khash. So, 30 proc's produce 10kh, 300 proc's produce 100kh, and it requires roughly 3000 processors to produce 1 Mhash.

With my (optimistic) example of 333.33 h/s per processor, roughly 20,000 CPU's and GPU's would be required to account for the 6 to 7 Mhash difference.  That is not going to come from a few students' educational rigs.

(multi-core server CPU's can hash more, but 333 h/s is roughly equal to a mid-range 8-core Xeon)

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I can't explain the recent jump up to 27-28 Mh/s, but I would note that it's been as high as 30 Mh/s in the past. One explanation I've heard for the daily oscillations in the hashrate is that someone is mining with a rather large botnet concentrated in one geographic area, so the times that you see the network hashrate drop down every day correlate with the night time of whatever geographic location this botnet is in, so when botnetted people are turning their computers off for the night, that's when hashrate dips down.

That's an interesting theory and makes sense. Especially if the oscillation are consistent like that. Similarly it could be a person using their corporate servers only during business hours or something. But with that you might see only a m to f oscillation if that was the case. Either way it's pretty interesting.

Is this hashrate with the relatively low price point at the moment unprecedented?
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Maths:

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I can't explain the recent jump up to 27-28 Mh/s, but I would note that it's been as high as 30 Mh/s in the past. One explanation I've heard for the daily oscillations in the hashrate is that someone is mining with a rather large botnet concentrated in one geographic area, so the times that you see the network hashrate drop down every day correlate with the night time of whatever geographic location this botnet is in, so when botnetted people are turning their computers off for the night, that's when hashrate dips down.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
the whole idea of crypto world / BTC /  is lost because ordinary people can not mining with their home computers

I do. I dont get much, but my comp is turned on most of the day anyway.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
who sell at these prices ....? can no longer pay their electricity for mining Angry  Angry  Angry

Network

Perhaps someone has access to their companies server farm and is 'borrowing' them for a little XMR mining? Tongue

Gee, ya think?

There are other possibilities as well. I have a few cpus and gpus at school that I own, but don't pay power for. Also, not everyone's electricity rates are equal. I'm pretty cheap here in Texas (0.08 $/kWh) compared to Europe (I think more like 0.30 $/kWh for the most part), but I think in parts of western Washington State electricity is as cheap as 0.01-0.02 $/kWh - in the wise words of The Black Sheep, "you can't beat that with a bat".

Maths:

Activity: 94

They look nice. Most more contrast colors then the ones i see here. But maybe that is because the dark Grey is on coin Black or i see wrong?

They just look black on this video. In reality it's silver plating reflecting the night. The grey should be little lighter on actual coins as well.

The colors are more natural at this photo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mu2u8fgssyl4wq4/Monero.jpg?dl=0

In order for the coin owner to spend the coin's XMR, must your website must be operational?

No. Site is only obligatory for binding the unique id of the coin with any public Monero address you have access to. Later when view key functionality is available from Monero developers you will be able to check the balance of a coin binded to that address as well. You will be also capable to transfer coins to other owners at our site.

To spend the coin balance (actually from an address you are in control of) you will need a Monero wallet and a private key of your address. For safety reasons we are not going to keep and even ask info about private keys. So coins are actually independent from the site after you bind them to an address. You should keep the info about your keys yourself.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

Network

Gee, ya think?

the whole idea of crypto world / BTC /  is lost because ordinary people can not mining with their home computers
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Network

Gee, ya think?

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
who sell at these prices ....? can no longer pay their electricity for mining Angry  Angry  Angry

Network

Gee, ya think?
Jump to: