Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1387. (Read 4670630 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I have no patience for reading the complete thread of 775 pages (and also my time is limited).
However, when it comes to emission curve, ideally it should go along with adoption.
When adoption is 5 times, also the emission should be 5 times.

What we see now is the lack of capability of absorbing the coins (the price is declining slowly).
Price is the best indicator wether the emission is ideal or not - and it is retarded to maintain something that is not ideal just because it is "holy and unquestionable like the Pope". When they decided the emission rate earlier in the voting, the decision was made on based on the best knowledge of that time - however now we are in September and over 20 % of coins mined, now it is the moment of truth: is the current emission rate ideal for status quo?
Do we have adoption enough to maintain the price (or prefertably even increasing it slowly so that the investors will continue being interested in buying the coins - personally I am not buyer at this moment - I am not dumper neither but I have a stack that I am satisfied and I do not see any reason to increase it especially if there is no incentive for such).
I am dumper if the price starts drastically decline from the current and when I dump, I most likely will never touch the coin anymore.

Ideally the coin should serve all the stakeholders: miners, developers, investors.
The "ever increasing price trend" serves all these stakeholder groups, miners get more money from their mined coins, developers get more donations/their stack grows in value and investors get their annual rate of return.

The blockreward should be dimished or make a stash from each block, for example 25 % of each block rewards goes to the escrowed fund that finances the development and pays after something has achieved according to the burden.
The other way is simply to lengthen the emission curve, it can be done wether making a block to appear every 3 minutes instead of every 1 minute or it can be adjusted by decreasing the block reward for example 33 % the latter will give more time for development and is more gracious towards adoption, it means the later adopters get also relatively long not too expensive coins.

The lowering of blockreward is not bad for later adopters IMO as long as the total coin supply stays constant, it just gives more time for people to join in to the party.

My 0.02 XMR. Peace.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
what about icebreakers proposal for some kind of an postmine, which could be auctioned for financing development? For some reason I did not make entirely clear for me I think this is quite a good solution

Thanks, I'm glad you like the idea.

Politics and BCX's forced evolution supervillain antics aside, the main technical obstacle preventing bootstrap is lack of a final emission schedule.

Once we decide on tail-end emissions, 1% or 2% of total coin supply can be moved into the Bootstrap Block, and then auctioned.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Is moneropool.com down?

seems it is to me.  bcx is gonna redeem our popcorn show afterall.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
I am harping on a broken chord maybe...... Kindly induge me once more. Of all the ideas floating around, one that may find least resistance is one which devs keep getting a portion of of mining blocks.... Smooth and fluffypony have underscored the problems with regards to this..... But can the emission size and spacing between them be moderated so as to address those problems?
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Is moneropool.com down?
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024
Can anyone tell me what happened?About twenty-four hours ago,I sended 10 XMR to my account on mintpal plartform ,but I still don't  receive any XMR coins,What happen?please help me,thanks
Atrides is saying that Mintpal isn't working correctly, that's probably why. Try contacting their support to see if they can help you out.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
if Monero changes the emission I'm out.

The main body of XMR emission is set in stone and not going to change.

The tail-end emission has yet to be determined.
Activity: 543
Merit: 500
Can anyone tell me what happened?About twenty-four hours ago,I sended 10 XMR to my account on mintpal plartform ,but I still don't  receive any XMR coins,What happen?please help me,thanks

Did you check if transaction is in the blockchain?
Activity: 658
Admin of DwarfPool.com
Bter and Bittrex disabled deposits.
Mintpal opened, but doesn't work.
Only Poloniex and Hitbtc accept coins.

Atrides: Could you perhaps add exchange monitoring to forkguard?  Smiley
Cheers!

For that I need API on nodes with wallets, but I don't think exchanges open such sensitive information.

But if they will use my scripts to send data, it will work.
I'll write this suggestion to exchanges.

BTW, Mintpal works now.

pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
who is worried about the prospect of emission being as fast as it is.

If the solution for future adoption is to slow it down though.  The later that conclusion is reached - the more damage has been done.

This is only true if there is a discontinuity in the emission.  If instead, there were a redenomination of the extant emission, the damage to adoption would not be an issue.
Current holders would be sacrificing some small present value in favor of anticipated future gains due to enhanced adoption.

Haha, no way. What you're describing is the Voldemort case of any respectable crypto. I shan't even paraphrase it to a more understandable form Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

Atrides: Could you perhaps add exchange monitoring to forkguard?  Smiley
Cheers!
Activity: 658
Admin of DwarfPool.com
Hi,
I sent 10 XMR to bittrex at 23 09 2014. Now xmr wallet at bitrex is offline (dev requested).I use 3 as mix parameter,,but I still don't  receive any XMR coins. Is 2 days  normal time for transaction?
May be I have to contact bittrex for more information?

Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Hi,
I sent 10 XMR to bittrex at 23 09 2014. Now xmr wallet at bitrex is offline (dev requested).I use 3 as mix parameter,,but I still don't  receive any XMR coins. Is 2 days  normal time for transaction?
May be I have to contact bittrex for more information?
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
It is our pleasure to announce that the MEW is officially opened. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monero-economy-workgroup-the-mew-thread-776479
Please read the OP, we updated it compared the original one.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
who is worried about the prospect of emission being as fast as it is.

If the solution for future adoption is to slow it down though.  The later that conclusion is reached - the more damage has been done.

This is only true if there is a discontinuity in the emission.  If instead, there were a redenomination of the extant emission, the damage to adoption would not be an issue.
Current holders would be sacrificing some small present value in favor of anticipated future gains due to enhanced adoption.

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
However there is another aspect in danger here: fairness between holders across time. Any change would split monero holders forever into the before-change holders and the after-change newcomers. The latters criticizing the formers for the advantage they got over them. Serious drawback for adoption to be carried forever.                  

Definitely a valid point. If it were not addressed adequately could very well spell the undoing of any change, and I'm not sure whether or not it can be.

Likewise about there being a possible silent majority that would be strongly against it. Again I'm not sure how we could know whether there is or not.

I have some ideas to handle this in a way that I believe is absolutely 100% fair to everyone, but hard to implement. Perhaps we consider that at a later time when there are less pressing issues.

I agree 100% to flattening the emission curve to benefit later adopters.  Sadly it also benefits early adopters before the curve by slowing things down early.  So maybe it benefits late & early adopters at the expense of middle adopters?

But more than that on a fundamental discussion like this would be figuring out how to "vote" with real monero supporters.

On idea is to have people spend Monero for a vote that goes into the dev fund.  Since we are massively underfunded I like the idea of pitting two groups against each other in a fundamental vote and throwing the proceeds at the dev fund.

(I do think what money has been spent by the devs needs to be documented - and the dev fund needs to be transparent)

Another is to have a 3 month (or even 1 month) escrow.  This should get rid of a lot of the bytecoin shills.  Instead of proving they just have the coins (buy from market, vote, sell) they have to send to a pre-determined escrow and the coins are released after 1 - 3 months.

I like the idea of funding development, and funding mining too.

But...
Beyond the practicalities, the problem with voting is that the minority loses.  Whichever way it goes some will see what they bought, changed without their consent (and against their wishes) after they got it home.
If a vote were called, I suspect some folks would simply sell, and if it comes out the way they want, buy back.

Not everyone is so generous as we.

Yes, I'd be against any such change.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
However there is another aspect in danger here: fairness between holders across time. Any change would split monero holders forever into the before-change holders and the after-change newcomers. The latters criticizing the formers for the advantage they got over them. Serious drawback for adoption to be carried forever.                  

Definitely a valid point. If it were not addressed adequately could very well spell the undoing of any change, and I'm not sure whether or not it can be.

Likewise about there being a possible silent majority that would be strongly against it. Again I'm not sure how we could know whether there is or not.

I have some ideas to handle this in a way that I believe is absolutely 100% fair to everyone, but hard to implement. Perhaps we consider that at a later time when there are less pressing issues.

I agree 100% to flattening the emission curve to benefit later adopters.  Sadly it also benefits early adopters before the curve by slowing things down early.  So maybe it benefits late & early adopters at the expense of middle adopters?

But more than that on a fundamental discussion like this would be figuring out how to "vote" with real monero supporters.

On idea is to have people spend Monero for a vote that goes into the dev fund.  Since we are massively underfunded I like the idea of pitting two groups against each other in a fundamental vote and throwing the proceeds at the dev fund.

(I do think what money has been spent by the devs needs to be documented - and the dev fund needs to be transparent)

Another is to have a 3 month (or even 1 month) escrow.  This should get rid of a lot of the bytecoin shills.  Instead of proving they just have the coins (buy from market, vote, sell) they have to send to a pre-determined escrow and the coins are released after 1 - 3 months.

I like the idea of funding development, and funding mining too.

But...
Beyond the practicalities, the problem with voting is that the minority loses.  Whichever way it goes some will see what they bought, changed without their consent (and against their wishes) after they got it home.
If a vote were called, I suspect some folks would simply sell, and if it comes out the way they want, buy back.

Not everyone is so generous as we.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Can anyone tell me what happened?About twenty-four hours ago,I sended 10 XMR to my account on mintpal plartform ,but I still don't  receive any XMR coins,What happen?please help me,thanks

You have to contact Mintpal, they are the worst Monero exchange so good luck.

i see,thanks your quick reply

You better use poloniex, more liquidity there. Also I don't know if mintpal already defroze withdraws and deposits.
Jump to: