Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1429. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
I appreciate Anon136's argument against imposing a "post-mine" which would affect the emissions curve, as he says miners have the choice to stop mining if they dont like the change but investors have already bought in so changing the conditions is unfair. I still like the idea of a post-mine on the principle that the devteam have proved themselves worthy of a pre-mine which never happened, but I don't have a decent idea of how to create it Sad

BBR has a 1% dev tax, and I still consider it free as in FOSS.  VIA had a completely fair, transparent, and very successful presale of Block 1's 10% of total coins.

We should emulate both of these approaches, and combine them to make Monero a staggeringly well funded project with concomitant high resiliency/survivability characteristics...

I'm a Monero investor who has been hloding tight since it was at parity with Primecoin, and only traded on cryptonoteexchange.

Which is more unfair to me?
A) risking the near certainty of devs running out of enthusiasm/money for completion of our very ambitions goals (thus XMR being unable to grow and respond to emergencies), or,
B) changing the emission 'social contract' condition by a slight degree

I think the former is far more unfair, because it puts my entire investment at risk in entirely predictable and probably preventable ways, IE liquidity crises and stagnation.

The emission 'social contract' is not set in stone, EG the final emission rate is still undecided.

As in investor, I don't feel comfortable being a free rider by expecting the devs to work for free/cheap, or jointly subsidizing others' free rides by making piddly one time donations.

Yes, the devteam has proven themselves worth of a pre-mine which never happened.  Here is how to create it:

I call it the 'Two To TacoTime' plan.   Cool

-One-time Bootstrap Block 302612 (celebrating 100k anniversary of historic Battle of Troll Block)

-Bootstrap Block includes 1% of final coin total (184k XMR) moved from end of emission (years away) to SoonTM

-Bootstrap Block coins are bid for and distributed proportionately in the same trustless/transparent way as VIA's Block 1 presale (http://presale.viacoin.org/terms)

-Bootstrap Block is worth at least $300k dollars, enough to refactor codebase, integrate DB, complete I2P, create Official Wallet, and hire pros for meticulous security audits

-After the Bootstrap Block, all subsequent blocks (less transaction fees) pay 1% to dev fund

-Ongoing 1% mining tax provides for continued care and maintenance of the mature platform created by our Bootstrap Block

-New 'set in stone' rules/guarantees/commitments/social contract: no more Bootstrap Blocks ever no matter what, and mining devtax will never go over 1%

-dev fund is kept 50/50 in XMR/BTC multisig escrow.  Rebalancing may be done without notice, prior or otherwise

-dev fund expenditures must be authorized by at least 5 of the 9 (7 core team members + RPietila + Zoidberg)

-dev funds may only be used to pay for writing/auditing critical code, and may not be used to raise more funds or for marketing

This sounds pretty fair to me, but then again i'm not all that savvy on premines or how it may or may not affect current prices etc.

Sounds like the general consensus is that either way, something must be done, these guys can't work for free, or this whole project will just never happen... something has to give, somewhere....

As in investor, I don't feel comfortable being a free rider by expecting the devs to work for free/cheap, or jointly subsidizing others' free rides by making piddly one time donations.

I feel the same way here, thanks for posting your idea, even if it gets shot down by devs or whatever...        
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
I appreciate Anon136's argument against imposing a "post-mine" which would affect the emissions curve, as he says miners have the choice to stop mining if they dont like the change but investors have already bought in so changing the conditions is unfair. I still like the idea of a post-mine on the principle that the devteam have proved themselves worthy of a pre-mine which never happened, but I don't have a decent idea of how to create it Sad

BBR has a 1% dev tax, and I still consider it free as in FOSS.  VIA had a completely fair, transparent, and very successful presale of Block 1's 10% of total coins.

We should emulate both of these approaches, and combine them to make Monero a staggeringly well funded project with concomitant high resiliency/survivability characteristics...

I'm a Monero investor who has been hloding tight since it was at parity with Primecoin, and only traded on cryptonoteexchange.

Which is more unfair to me?
A) risking the near certainty of devs running out of enthusiasm/money for completion of our very ambitions goals (thus XMR being unable to grow and respond to emergencies), or,
B) changing the emission 'social contract' condition by a slight degree

I think the former is far more unfair, because it puts my entire investment at risk in entirely predictable and probably preventable ways, IE liquidity crises and stagnation.

The emission 'social contract' is not set in stone, EG the final emission rate is still undecided.

Yes, the devteam has proven themselves worth of a pre-mine which never happened.  Here is how to create it:

I call it the 'Two To TacoTime' plan.   Cool

-One-time Bootstrap Block 302612 (celebrating 100k anniversary of historic Battle of Troll Block)

-Bootstrap Block includes 1% of final coin total (184k XMR) moved from end of emission (years away) to SoonTM

-Bootstrap Block coins are bid for and distributed proportionately in the same trustless/transparent way as VIA's Block 1 presale (http://presale.viacoin.org/terms)

-Bootstrap Block is worth at least $300k dollars, enough to refactor codebase, integrate DB, complete I2P, create Official Wallet, and hire pros for meticulous security audits

-After the Bootstrap Block, all subsequent blocks (less transaction fees) pay 1% to dev fund

-Ongoing 1% mining tax provides for continued care and maintenance of the mature platform created by our Bootstrap Block

-New 'set in stone' rules/guarantees/commitments/social contract: no more Bootstrap Blocks ever no matter what, and mining devtax will never go over 1%

-dev fund is kept 50/50 in XMR/BTC multisig escrow.  Rebalancing may be done without notice, prior or otherwise

-dev fund expenditures must be authorized by at least 5 of the 9 (7 core team members + RPietila + Zoidberg)

-dev funds may only be used to pay for writing/auditing critical code, and may not be used to raise more funds or for marketing
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
So much math... need to dummy it down a bit and read a Wolverine comic
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
Someone needs to check the source code too but I believe the whitepaper's notation is screwed up.

The paper defines private key a and public Key A through the transformation A = a*G, where G is the Hash function.
So in this case, the multiplication step is to denote the hash mapping.

In the paper, it also defined the key image as I = x * Hp(P)

Now this seems like it is the multiplication of private key x with the hash to the public key P.

But I think this is actually I = x * Hp(P) = x*G2, where G2 like above is another hash function so this is just a hash of private key x using some deterministic hash function that is dependent on public key P (Hp(P)).

I'll just quote from someone who knows way more math than I do -

sarang: The operation is actually repeated elliptic addition... and that addition is really a curve intersection and some other complicated shit
sarang: Multiplying an integer by an elliptic curve point is well-defined
sarang: the x*H(p) is not another hash
sarang: You convert the hash output H(p) to an elliptic point
sarang: and then do the integer-elliptic multiplication
sarang: so it's super important to identify what is an integer and what is an elliptic curve point
sarang: The notation is identical, as it would be in formal mathematics
sarang: They usually use lowercase for integers and uppercase for points
sarang: and always use the multiplication order integer*point
sarang: just as a matter of convention, that is
sarang: so anyone saying you can divide a point by an integer is wrong
sarang: elliptic curve crypto would be broken wide open if that were the case
sarang: Oh, and G is NOT a hash function. It's the elliptic base point
sarang: so A is also an elliptic point

so what exact "I = x * Hp(P)" means ?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Someone needs to check the source code too but I believe the whitepaper's notation is screwed up.

The paper defines private key a and public Key A through the transformation A = a*G, where G is the Hash function.

Now this seems like it is the multiplication of private key x with the hash to the public key P.

But I think this is actually I = x * Hp(P) = x*G2, where G2 like above is another hash function so this is just a hash of private key x using some deterministic hash function that is dependent on public key P (Hp(P)).

I'll just quote from someone who knows way more math than I do -

sarang: The operation is actually repeated elliptic addition... and that addition is really a curve intersection and some other complicated shit
sarang: Multiplying an integer by an elliptic curve point is well-defined
sarang: the x*H(p) is not another hash
sarang: You convert the hash output H(p) to an elliptic point
sarang: and then do the integer-elliptic multiplication
sarang: so it's super important to identify what is an integer and what is an elliptic curve point
sarang: The notation is identical, as it would be in formal mathematics
sarang: They usually use lowercase for integers and uppercase for points
sarang: and always use the multiplication order integer*point
sarang: just as a matter of convention, that is
sarang: so anyone saying you can divide a point by an integer is wrong
sarang: elliptic curve crypto would be broken wide open if that were the case
sarang: Oh, and G is NOT a hash function. It's the elliptic base point
sarang: so A is also an elliptic point
legendary

I think
  a) hash(P) -> I know pseudo-identity (worst case, same as Bitcoin)
  b) x*hash(P) ->  I know identity + x (worst case, ZERO)
  c) hash(x) -> Nobody can verify transaction  and "math" does not work (I can double spend)
  d) P*hash(x) -> I can double spend (I can cheat with hash(x))
  e) I do not know -> we will see
  f) Monero to the Moon

:-)
donator
I'll apply Hp on all public keys (P is public key) in signature.
I know I, P, Hp(P) seems I can compute x

x = I / Hp(P)

Edit:
P is one of 6 public keys ... I'll try all

lol cryptography, how does it work?

https://www.certicom.com/index.php/52-the-elliptic-curve-discrete-logarithm-problem
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
I have been thinking on the coin-killer posts and the more I read it the more I smell BS, there is nothing proving it is more than FUD, if people are dumping because of this they will be sorry soon.

You don't have to fully believe either option, if you think there's 10% chance it is true, the price should take 10% cut, right?

No.

Your statement lacks sound reasoning.

'You' is who? I believe that you mean it in the universal sense, but there is no way to determine the ratio of truthiness vs falseyness that all XMR and cryptocurrency market members ascertain in relation to said 'coin-killer posts.'

Furthermore, price is not necessarily proportional to the 'chance it is true.'
legendary
https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf
The signer picks a random secret key and computes the corresponding
public key P=xG. Additionally he computes another public key
I=xHp(P) which we will call the "key image"
Nobody can recover the public key from the key image and identify the signer

lol, but everybody can compute "key image" from public key and then identify the signer

Edit
if this mean I = x * Hp(P) then I can compute even x

x = I / Hp(P)
I is known  and I can compute all Hp(Px)

Simple answer. It is elliptic curve multiplication. The hash gives you a point. This isn't invertible, so no, you can't do I/H.

legendary
I have been thinking on the coin-killer posts and the more I read it the more I smell BS, there is nothing proving it is more than FUD, if people are dumping because of this they will be sorry soon.

You don't have to fully believe either option, if you think there's 10% chance it is true, the price should take 10% cut, right?

I do not look at source. I'm only asking and study whitepaper (how it works). Maybe I'm wrong.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

legendary

lol, but everybody can compute "key image" from public key and then identify the signer

Edit

x = I / Hp(P)
I is known  and I can compute all Hp(Px)

Hp is a deterministic hash function. You only know I, x is secret. P is computed using x. Explain again how you're going to reverse the hash function?
I'll apply Hp on all public keys (P is public key) in signature.
I know I, P, Hp(P) seems I can compute x

x = I / Hp(P)

Edit:
P is one of 6 public keys ... I'll try all
legendary

Edit

x = I / Hp(P)

Hp is a deterministic hash function. You only know I, x is secret. P is computed using x. Explain again how you're going to reverse the hash function?

He's missing that you can verify the validity of the key image without knowing x. I explained that in the post after yours.
legendary
If you generate it from private key then no one can verify it is true. (they must trust you)

Nope, they verify it using the equations in VER on page 10, which depend only on ri and ci (i.e. the signature) and P, the public key generated from private key, not x, the private key.

The private key is not required to verify the key image, only to generate it.

donator

Edit

x = I / Hp(P)

legendary

Nope, x is a private key (aka "secret key"). So you can't compute the key image from the public key. You need the private key (x).

Jump to: