Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1430. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf
The signer picks a random secret key and computes the corresponding
public key P=xG. Additionally he computes another public key
I=xHp(P) which we will call the "key image"
Nobody can recover the public key from the key image and identify the signer

lol, but everybody can compute "key image" from public key and then identify the signer

Edit
if this mean I = x * Hp(P) then I can compute even x

x = I / Hp(P)
I is known  and I can compute all Hp(Px)

legendary
Ok I'm not sure about "image key". I red somewhere it is derived from private key (so only me can verify because only I know private ) ... But in this paper "image key" is derived from pubic key. Does it mean I can use  VER/LINK to find out who is really spending ?

This is a TA thread - if you're struggling to grasp the cryptography then you are welcome to continue this discussion in the Monero ANN thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449

Alternatively, if you believe you've found an exploit, I do encourage you (again) to document it and write a PoC like every other security researcher. The process of writing a PoC normally forces me to come to grips with the intricacies of the subject, and I document thereafter.

Rem tene verba sequentur, as they used to say.

Is that "image key" public observable ? Every node knows what input is really spent and who ring-sing this message ?

I don't see the term "image key" anywhere, so I'm not sure what that means. Maybe I missed it?

Edit:
If I know YOUR public key, from an unspet input . You are broadcasting new transaction (is not yet minted). I can compute "image key" and create ring-sing of YOUR input with my privateKey ...

If you mean key image, you can't create that from a public key, only a private key.

>If you mean key image, you can't create that from a public key, only a private key.
whitepaper page 9.  GEN:  says. You generate it as some hash of public key.  If you generate it from private key then no one can verify it is true. (they must trust you)

> I don't see the term "image key" anywhere, so I'm not sure what that means. Maybe I missed it?
You told me that this "image key" is required for VER and LNK to prevent double spending
a) it is public
b) it can be computed from public key (I'll try all public keys)

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

That seems like a build error. The openbsd and macos build scripts have a lot in common but system miniupnpc shouldn't be assumed on the Mac.

The latest build is not a mandatory update so I would recommend simply sticking with the previous one until we get that sorted out.

OK, thanks smooth. I dragged & dropped the latest OSX build and did not make a backup of the old one before doing so...whoops. Any place I can find 0.8.8.3? 

Trashcan?

unfortunately not, i just replaced the bitmonerod and simplewallet files so they didn't end up in trash. no worries though i will wait it out and use linux in the meantime.

You can get it from my torrent, which I haven't updated. You'll get an old version of the blockchain with it, but you can disregard that and just use the binary:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8722972

success! thanks for the help.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

That seems like a build error. The openbsd and macos build scripts have a lot in common but system miniupnpc shouldn't be assumed on the Mac.

The latest build is not a mandatory update so I would recommend simply sticking with the previous one until we get that sorted out.

OK, thanks smooth. I dragged & dropped the latest OSX build and did not make a backup of the old one before doing so...whoops. Any place I can find 0.8.8.3? 

Trashcan?

unfortunately not, i just replaced the bitmonerod and simplewallet files so they didn't end up in trash. no worries though i will wait it out and use linux in the meantime.

You can get it from my torrent, which I haven't updated. You'll get an old version of the blockchain with it, but you can disregard that and just use the binary:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8722972
legendary

Trashcan?

legendary

Trashcan?

legendary

legendary
tried running the new monero just after updating OSX to 10.9.5 and i'm getting this error...can anyone help?

i assume i need to install or update the miniupnpc library but not sure exactly how.

Code:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libminiupnpc.9.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/stalker500/Desktop/monero/./bitmonerod
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

legendary
tried running the new monero just after updating OSX to 10.9.5 and i'm getting this error...can anyone help?

i assume i need to install or update the miniupnpc library but not sure exactly how.

Code:
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libminiupnpc.9.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/stalker500/Desktop/monero/./bitmonerod
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5

legendary
The above post by fluffypony should put this funding discussion in perspective.  He lists approximately $200,000 in costs.   3,500,000 coins have been mined and 1% is 35,000.  At a generous exchange rate of $2 equals $70,000.  So 1% of all the coins ever mined equals 1/3 of the most important costs listed.

I'd rather work with 1/3 of the costs than work with 1/30, which is approximately what has been received in donations. The former at least allows prioritizing, scaling down some items (at least temporarily), etc. and still getting a significant portion of the work done, plus as I said it need not be the only funding source (and some work will I'm sure continue to be done by community volunteers who are interested in doing it).

smooth, I agree.  

Also to anyone mining, there is a pool that donates 100% of it's 1% fee to the devs.

Link? And does it require signing up, or only an account address?

It is the first one listed on the OP: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449

I'm pretty sure it is the usual zone type pool with address-as-username.

I'm pleased to see that it seems to have gained a bit of hashrate since this discussion started. Hopefully that continues and/or other pools join in making similarly generous donations.

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
The above post by fluffypony should put this funding discussion in perspective.  He lists approximately $200,000 in costs.   3,500,000 coins have been mined and 1% is 35,000.  At a generous exchange rate of $2 equals $70,000.  So 1% of all the coins ever mined equals 1/3 of the most important costs listed.

I'd rather work with 1/3 of the costs than work with 1/30, which is approximately what has been received in donations. The former at least allows prioritizing, scaling down some items (at least temporarily), etc. and still getting a significant portion of the work done, plus as I said it need not be the only funding source (and some work will I'm sure continue to be done by community volunteers who are interested in doing it).

smooth, I agree.  

Also to anyone mining, there is a pool that donates 100% of it's 1% fee to the devs.

Link? And does it require signing up, or only an account address?
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
and it is not presently sufficient in the magnitudes mooted...it doesn't actually solve the problem.

Actually a 1% mining donation (of course this number is set in stone, I'm just using it because that's what BBR uses, I think) would make a huge difference to the development budget. In fact, it would mean there was a budget at all, which isn't currently the case for the most part. So a huge change.

It wouldn't need to be the entire source of funding, but as a source of some steady funding it is sufficient enough to consider on that basis alone. Working out the numbers it comes to about 2500 USD per week at current exchange rates. That's enough to pay for a few days of full time dedicated development, which we are currently not able to do on a sustainable basis, and is certainly enough to accelerate progress significantly.

I think the really important point to drive home is that, atleast in the bootstrapping phase, there is nothing "wrong" with this approach. In almost every other industry in the world, when someone develops a product they charge for their services. No one makes a pair of shoes and puts them up for free in the store and hopes that someone donates. They make the shoes, put a price on them, and then people decide whether or not they want to make the exchange. There is no good reason why crypto developers shouldnt be entitled to do the exact same thing as a shoe makers for the exact same reasons why shoe makers are entitled to do that thing. Consumers arnt "forced" to pay this fee any more than a customer at walmart is "forced" to pay for the products that are on the shelves.

Right, except shoes aren't FOSS.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
You can't have a successful project without adequate funding ..

Monero need to do like https://protonmail.ch/ and open a donations page towards the project, its pretty clear Monero is best privacy coin that exists, a new website with a project funding campaign will have great effects. But where is the new website??

I have been thinking on the coin-killer posts and the more I read it the more I smell BS, there is nothing proving it is more than FUD, if people are dumping because of this they will be sorry soon.

I like the idea of a page like that. With proper design and marketing, it could draw in donations from people outside of the current cryptocurrency ecosystem. There are plenty of privacy advocates, libertarians, technologists, etc. who are uninterested in the messy world of cryptocurrency "investment", but may nonetheless be willing to support what's marketed as a relatively NSA-proof, anonymous, very important, new technology. People should also be able to donate fiat.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
imho we should incentivate donations instead of begging for donations...
what about a weekly lottery where participating cost you eg. 1 xmr and the winner gets eg. 50% of the jackpot and the remaining 50% goes to developers?

This is a great idea. One that could probably be run by pretty much anyone too.

Perhaps someone should try it and see what kind of level of participation we get?

I like the dice idea. It also means XMR has some practical use.
legendary
Ok I'm not sure about "image key". I red somewhere it is derived from private key (so only me can verify because only I know private ) ... But in this paper "image key" is derived from pubic key. Does it mean I can use  VER/LINK to find out who is really spending ?

This is a TA thread - if you're struggling to grasp the cryptography then you are welcome to continue this discussion in the Monero ANN thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449

Alternatively, if you believe you've found an exploit, I do encourage you (again) to document it and write a PoC like every other security researcher. The process of writing a PoC normally forces me to come to grips with the intricacies of the subject, and I document thereafter.

Is that "image key" public observable ? Every node knows what input is really spent and who ring-sing this message ?

I don't see the term "image key" anywhere, so I'm not sure what that means. Maybe I missed it?

Edit:
If I know YOUR public key, from an unspet input . You are broadcasting new transaction (is not yet minted). I can compute "image key" and create ring-sing of YOUR input with my privateKey ...

If you mean key image, you can't create that from a public key, only a private key.

Activity: 183
Merit: 100
imho we should incentivate donations instead of begging for donations...
what about a weekly lottery where participating cost you eg. 1 xmr and the winner gets eg. 50% of the jackpot and the remaining 50% goes to developers?

This is a great idea. One that could probably be run by pretty much anyone too.

Perhaps someone should try it and see what kind of level of participation we get?
Activity: 952
Merit: 251
You're making this harder than it needs to be ..
Take a page from Wall Street ..

You can't have a successful project without adequate funding ..

How much money do you need ?
When do you need it ?
Is this a 'one off' funding request or an ongoing funding requirement ?  

The easiest and quickest solution is a small secondary offering ..
If you want to call it an 'instamine' then so be it ..
Bottom line you've got devs that need to be paid and projects that need to get done ..

Take 100,000 Monero out of the back-end of the emmissions curve and sell them
now at a slight discount to current market prices ..

Most current XMR holders will buy a 'proportional share' of the offering to maintain or increase their
ownership position in the coin .. and you'll be offering new investors a chance to get in at a slight discount ..

Considering the development pace in Cryptoland you can't afford to wait ..

Triff ..

No good ?? Don't want to do a secondary offering ??

Then ask the top 100 wallets on the 'rich list' ( they know who they are )
to kick in 1% of what they currently own/hold to the 'Dev Fund' ..

Triff ..
Activity: 448
Merit: 250

I also thought about poloniex role in this process but did not come to a proper solution.

there are basically two scenarios:

1.) busoni keeps his place as basically the monopoly of xmr trading - in this situation he should support xmr in the best possible way. I think if he does this position would be self enforcing.

2.) a bigger exchange overtakes his position (btc-e?), in this case he would be worse off.

that said - it could be a marketing idea of an exchange to say it funds the development of xmr Wink

No other exchange will try to push that kind of volume in the same questionable manner unless they're trying a coordinated manipulation on it... but why bother?

So +1 on scenario 1, though not sure how good of a scenario that is.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
I never thought I would ever think a tax could be the best solution to a problem, but that 1% seems fair and logical considering the needs. (Note: I'm a pretty big XMR miner myself.)

I think Anon136 has a point, it isn't really a tax, it is a price for a product (sort of). If you don't like the product, you can always use another one. It isn't as if there is a lack of choice of cryptocoins (1000+ and cointing) or even cryptocoins based on CN technology (10 or so and counting, including one that has been abandoned and you can adopt yourself for nothing if you want it).

Fair enough, even if that's probably still a tax in the sense it's automatically deducted from your potential gain. Let's say it's a mix of both. Anyway I'd pay it. It's a no-brainer for me. You guys need money, you spent a lot of time trying the voluntary approach, it didn't work well, now you're completely open about it. I should have donated more (just paid via the pool) but I didn't know you guys were that desperate. To me that's another proof of your honesty, the fundamental health of this project, and another incentive to make it prosper.

1% is not that much of a loss. no one should complain about it considering what the coins are going to be spent for.  
legendary

Edit:
Jump to: