Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1457. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 854
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Did it write the logfile etc to the new data folder?
Yes, i see bitmonerod.log in the new data folder:
http://pastebin.com/jf5swpj9
bitmonerod with log 2
http://pastebin.com/XBEggLxZ
logging just stops with no errors and you have to kill bitmonerod process to exit it?
Yes, logging just stops with no errors but i can't kill bitmonerod process even if i use task manager (i try to use also taskkill in command-line), some special programs like process explorer. I just have to push the button RESET...
Bitmonerod have 205 outgoing connections but there is very few traffic ... I check port 18080 - open (it's open in my router)!  Seems bitmonerod check one connection, it's failed, then go to next & etc.
May be i have to move my old files - wallet.bin, p2pstate.bin &  poolstate.bin to the new data folder? Now there are no this files in  the new data folder. The data folder have only bitmonerod.exe, bitmonerod.bat, blockchain.bin, wallet.bin.keys, wallet.bin.address.txt & simplewallet.exe.  

Typically when your pc freezes up like that (can't end the task using task manager and have to restart) it is indicative of a file system or hardware problem. Certainly isn't likely to be a problem that would be caused by the monero software. Do you have another machine you could try the wallet on?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Of all the coins that have come and gone through the years, Monero really stands out. The community, devs, promising new tech, rapid progress - everything is very impressive with this coin.
 I feel like we're in the midst of something very special and very important. This is something I haven't seen or felt since the earlier bitcoin days.
That's exactly! But Developers can't  make a wallet properly, I tired to deal with it!  Sad
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 2793
Shitcoin Minimalist
Monero got big and useful much quicker than I expected! As soon as I gave it some time, I now see. Thank you to everyone involved Smiley

Do you see it is adopted some where?

Once it gets a decent GUI, users will flock in. Next stage is a solid ecosystem. Monero is still young but it's getting there dude. Don't you worry about that!

I'd like to think I've been around the crypto block. I started mining bitcoin in early 2011, and progressed to litecoin, etc. from there. Of all the coins that have come and gone through the years, Monero really stands out. The community, devs, promising new tech, rapid progress - everything is very impressive with this coin.

I know this is turning into a fluff post, but I feel like we're in the midst of something very special and very important. This is something I haven't seen or felt since the earlier bitcoin days.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
Monero got big and useful much quicker than I expected! As soon as I gave it some time, I now see. Thank you to everyone involved Smiley

Once it gets a decent GUI, users will flock in. Next stage is a solid ecosystem. Monero is still young but it's getting there dude. Don't you worry about that!

I have a family friend who is in the everlasting process of finishing development (alpha stage, at the moment) of a monero gaming site (which may or may not be up at the moment) to build yet another useful outlet for Moneroists soon, but perhaps you've already read about this. We want more!! Wink

and bazaars of any sort are always a good, profitable idea for those who can and will build them. and the Monero family needs it (now)!!
Activity: 33
Activity: 14
Did it write the logfile etc to the new data folder?
Yes, i see bitmonerod.log in the new data folder:
http://pastebin.com/jf5swpj9
bitmonerod with log 2
http://pastebin.com/XBEggLxZ
logging just stops with no errors and you have to kill bitmonerod process to exit it?
Yes, logging just stops with no errors but i can't kill bitmonerod process even if i use task manager (i try to use also taskkill in command-line), some special programs like process explorer. I just have to push the button RESET...
Bitmonerod have 205 outgoing connections but there is very few traffic ... I check port 18080 - open (it's open in my router)!  Seems bitmonerod check one connection, it's failed, then go to next & etc.
May be i have to move my old files - wallet.bin, p2pstate.bin &  poolstate.bin to the new data folder? Now there are no this files in  the new data folder. The data folder have only bitmonerod.exe, bitmonerod.bat, blockchain.bin, wallet.bin.keys, wallet.bin.address.txt & simplewallet.exe.  
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Monero is up for vote at coinpayments.net: https://www.coinpayments.net/vote

All proceeds go to Sean's Outpost.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Tomewok, its most likely a relative/absolute path error, put the files in the same directory where u start simplewallet from.

open a cmd window, cd into the simplewallet directory and then start simplewallet from the with the wallet u want to open.

Thank you very much, i was able to access my wallet again and i noticed that the monero i sent to a friend while being on wrong fork didn't get back on my wallet, am i the only one who lost moneros like this ?

Transactions were broadcast to both forks, so many transactions (all that I've checked) were mined on both sides. It is physically impossible that you lost the coins - either your friend received them or you'll get them back. If your friend hasn't received them, then delete your wallet.bin (or whatever you've called your wallet) - NOT the wallet.bin.keys file - and run simplewallet as normal. It will rebuild the wallet cache from scratch.
Activity: 109
the coin sent when you are in the wrong fork
have no effect on the chain right
then when you come back
on the right chain
Your coin should be present in wallett
if there are no
you should run a command
who does the scan of your wallet
and after
you will see your coin
but I do not remember
read the post before that there should be an answer
which covers this
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Tomewok, its most likely a relative/absolute path error, put the files in the same directory where u start simplewallet from.

open a cmd window, cd into the simplewallet directory and then start simplewallet from the with the wallet u want to open.

Thank you very much, i was able to access my wallet again and i noticed that the monero i sent to a friend while being on wrong fork didn't get back on my wallet, am i the only one who lost moneros like this ?
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
By the way, when the transacation fees will get back to normal?

smooth said that soon they will be reset to "a new normal" which is based on the tx size in blockchain. A typical tx should cost 0.01 XMR which compares favorably to Bitcoin's BTC0.0001 ($0.02 vs. $0.05).
Activity: 78
When the 0.1 fee will be fixed ?

When we replace it with per-kb fees.

Just please make the fees high enough that the blockchain is not sold out too cheaply. It is possible to lower them when the price rises. The recent decision to up them by 20x did not lead to price crashing.

By the way, when the transacation fees will get back to normal?
Activity: 38

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Just to give a rough guide to our thinking on fees, we are currently considering 0.01/2 kb. 0.005 didn't work too well given the way dust is handled (it creates a lot of 0.005 change, although in the future we will probably improve dust handling). So most small transactions (<= 2 kb) would have a fee of 0.01, larger ones of around 20 kb would be close to the current 0.1 and continue to provide the same protection against spamming of large transactions.

For reference, at current prices

0.01 XMR is approx. 0.02 USD
0.0001 BTC is approx. 0.05 USD (common fee per kb used with bitcoin, though there is a range in use)

With this setting, we are about 5x cheaper than Bitcoin per kb. However, Bitcoin has the ability to send some zero-fee tx (though not all wallets support this or do it by default) and we don't. Also the 2 kb increment is larger than Bitcoin's 1 (typical) kb increment, which also increases effective fees somewhat, so 5x is an overestimate.

So - once I estimated that the whole blockchain (100GB) was for sale for $41k and deemed that too cheap. Now the price is per kB, and it works out to $1 million, a 25-time increase. This sounds indeed much better and while $1M is still very little, the coin's market cap is also small.

It is telling how concentrated the blockchain usage is towards manual transaction that a 20x increase in fees resulted in only 30% reduction in tx. This means that if the blockchain growth will need to be limited in the future, the fees have to be raised really high to compel off-chain activity.

For me, all my transactions are to receive the coin from pool and send to exchange. I am paid once per hour, with lots of dust. So it would be better that pools payout once every few hours, that would decrease transaction size dramatically.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Activity: 98
For 'thin' clients that will definitely be required for broad and widespread adoptance (mobile phones, etc), I think that the processing required for hashing some POW would be prohibitive.

Why would you mine on a cellphone? thin clients will only get onboard after some blockchain-level online wallet or lightclient is developed...   Undecided

This wasn't about actual mining just a tiny amount of PoW to earn the right to submit a transaction and discourage spam without paying a fee. Bitmessage does something similar, and some may be unaware that PoW was invented as an anti-spam measure for email.

However, in rpietila's altcoin thread we talked about a billion cell phones mining at night while they are plugged into a charger. That was pretty interesting.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.miner.pro&hl=en

Android based miner that just recently added support for cryptonote coins.. On my Galaxy Note 3 (quad core) I've yet to find a share, and set to the highest priority I can literally watch my battery go down! But it works, I tried it with LTC and got around 3kh/s..
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
@smooth, @rpietila:

I don't think that we can take such statistical conclusions to the recent variations in the number of transactions, without taking into account the concern that users would have had during the brief time of the attack/fork and the couple of days that followed. I'm not saying that the higher transaction fee did not impact on number of transactions, but just that in this particular instance, it was not really the only motivation for less transactions.

In any case, I'm looking forward to per-kb fees, and appreciate the rationale that you've both presented on this matter.
~ Myagui

Jump to: