Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1460. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
"We"? Are you monero's CEO?  Cheesy

I love (read: hate) it when people can't wrap their minds around the concept that is an open-source cryptocurrency community.

They always use references, terms, and generally consider what is OUR community to be some type of capitalistic business organization, replete with corresponding hierarchical structure and management.

While it is true that there exists a developer team for Monero, fluffypony just said it best:

Of course, if they (or any developer of any one of the CN coins) finds and patches a critical bug we will be eternally grateful for their efforts. Fixing exploitable code is all of our jobs, after all.

NO ONE OWNS THE COMMUNITY.  THERE IS NO ONE WITH EXECUTIVE POWER.

XMR is traded, but it is an open-source currency, not a business entity.  I don't even care if Hunyadi and the like were joking with the 'rpietila as self-appointed CEO' comments.  It still serves no purpose in this thread.

In a community [def: joint ownership or participation; from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/community?show=0&t=1410200221], the good members make offers to help out, to lend a hand, to serve the good of the community.  That's what we are trying to do here.  It isn't a pie-in-the-sky dream; it is literally taking place and unfolding right here, right now, right in front of our eyes.  

So, thanks for offering to help,  rpietila.  I get it, even if some don't.

And thanks to all the devs for all their hard work and continued efforts.  As I see opportunities to contribute to the Monero community, I will attempt to do so, and I suggest that others do the same.

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I am seeing XMR wallet spit out some "Unsupported Transaction Format" errors (using current, new, version), but wallet seems to work, with correct balance. Should I be concerned ?

No - that's transactions in that bad black (202612) - we are adding an exception so that it doesn't scan that block.
Activity: 697
Merit: 500
At this point the attack has been handled with neither a persistent fork nor a roll-back.  Well done.

What are the chances for a recurrent attack?

New accounts have warned quite much about it. The Monero devs do their best to prevent attacks, and C_Z is helping also. The community has also shown that even a technically successful attack (fork did happen) does not cause the loss of trust (price trend did not change).

In the long term, we are open to pursue a diplomatic solution to this conflict and I can be a diplomatic middleman if so desired.

Self appointed

I'm pretty sure that cloning technologies have just reached a breakthrough. There's a 7th dan rpietila, and a 6th dan rpietila as well. I'm betting the 6th dan rpietila is the clone (due to collateral DNA damage and all, has not donated as much). Everyone should head out to the Monero Community Hall of Fame for definitive verification. While you're there, might as well donate!  Wink
~ Myagui

lol well said, also imo if there is anyone besides the dev team (obviously) that can represent monero that person is rpietila.

Very good idea, I support it
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
XMR tends to replace LTC in the near future.LTC is completely fucked up by S-ASICs.
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129
I am seeing XMR wallet spit out some "Unsupported Transaction Format" errors (using current, new, version), but wallet seems to work, with correct balance. Should I be concerned ?
Activity: 65
I think the only matters should be developer behavior and steadily increasing trading volume.
First one has been proven well during the recent attacks. Latter one should happen once Monero gets more complete technical-wise. This could happen a bit faster, but better safe than sorry.
Activity: 93
BBR an XMR,those are the only 2 coins I am mining now.
The alternate cryptocurrency market has entered freezing winner.  Sad Sad Sad
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
lol well said, also imo if there is anyone besides the dev team (obviously) that can represent monero that person is rpietila.

Well I don't have monero as even 10% of my holdings, and devteam has never given me any mandate to represent Monero.

It is true I own it and support it but everyone should take everyone else's opinions with a grain of salt. With the intrigue surrounding Monero, it is very possible that there are established forum accounts masquerading as Monero supporters, yet acting so stupidly that they cause more damage to the reputation of the coin than benefit it.

It is been suggested that I am one, and currently I'm thinking what do about it. How about you?
Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Monero

I'm pretty sure that cloning technologies have just reached a breakthrough. There's a 7th dan rpietila, and a 6th dan rpietila as well. I'm betting the 6th dan rpietila is the clone (due to collateral DNA damage and all, has not donated as much). Everyone should head out to the Monero Community Hall of Fame for definitive verification. While you're there, might as well donateWink
~ Myagui

Thanks for the catch.  Fixed.

Can you update me on the list too? I'd like to become a superhero  Cheesy
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Something else you could try is to specify a new data folder location for bitmonerod, if you create a new folder - e.g. D:\monerodata on your PC and copy blockchain.bin you can then run bitmonerod.exe with the --data-dir D:\monerodata option so it uses that instead of the default appdata\roaming. E.g. :
Code:
bitmonerod.exe --data-dir D:\monerodata\ 
thanks,RentaMouse,  I'll try this for sure!  Cool
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

I'm pretty sure that cloning technologies have just reached a breakthrough. There's a 7th dan rpietila, and a 6th dan rpietila as well. I'm betting the 6th dan rpietila is the clone (due to collateral DNA damage and all, has not donated as much). Everyone should head out to the Monero Community Hall of Fame for definitive verification. While you're there, might as well donateWink
~ Myagui

Thanks for the catch.  Fixed.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
At this point the attack has been handled with neither a persistent fork nor a roll-back.  Well done.

New accounts have warned quite much about it. The Monero devs do their best to prevent attacks, and C_Z is helping also. The community has also shown that even a technically successful attack (fork did happen) does not cause the loss of trust (price trend did not change).

In the long term, we are open to pursue a diplomatic solution to this conflict and I can be a diplomatic middleman if so desired.

Self appointed

~ Myagui
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1001

Self appointed
legendary
Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000
☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Tomewok, its most likely a relative/absolute path error, put the files in the same directory where u start simplewallet from.

open a cmd window, cd into the simplewallet directory and then start simplewallet from the with the wallet u want to open.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
you may already have bitmonerod running or another process is listening on port 18080. do a ps to check if bitmonerod is running. if it's not then there is something else listening on port 18080.

bitmonerod isn't already running, i've been rebooting several times and it's always the same, also for something else listening on port 1080, how could this happen ? I'm only using this linux vm for xmr wallet, nothing more is installed on it..

Also, how to retreive my old wallet ? i've copied my old Tom.bin, Tom.bin.keys and Tom.bin.adress.txt on my new xmr folder where bitmonerod and simplewallet are but when i open simplewallet and i input my wallet name it told me that no such wallet exist and he's creating a new one..am i doing something wrong ?

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
I think you may still have a permissions problem - when you shared the folder it fixed some of the problem but not all of it. Have you tried running bitmonerod.exe as administrator yet?
Yes,i shared necessary folder & I always run bitmonerod.exe as admin!

OK, I was hoping for an easy fix but not to be. Bitmonerod on Windows doesnt seem to handle file system errors very well, hence why I think the problem is somewhere there when you say it just stops responding rather than crashing.

Something else you could try is to specify a new data folder location for bitmonerod, if you create a new folder - e.g. D:\monerodata on your PC and copy blockchain.bin you can then run bitmonerod.exe with the --data-dir D:\monerodata option so it uses that instead of the default appdata\roaming. E.g. :

Code:
bitmonerod.exe --data-dir D:\monerodata\ 

means that the port 18080 is in use bitmonerod can not use it and then the program has ended
argentinx, Can I do something with it?  Roll Eyes
I think you may still have a permissions problem - when you shared the folder it fixed some of the problem but not all of it. Have you tried running bitmonerod.exe as administrator yet?
Yes,i shared necessary folder & I always run bitmonerod.exe as admin!
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
I'm really impressed by the DEVS response to the attack. I hope the price dipps so I can buy back in. Smiley

Have you sold all your XMR holdings in the wake of the attack? Wink

No I sold when price dipped to 38 awhile ago and have been watching to buy back in during a dip. Smiley
Jump to: