Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1602. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10
Going on 16 hours withdrawal from Poloniex to BTER...anyone else having similar issues?

I have now sent support tickets to both exchanges   Huh

ahhh great, so Poloniex API has been sending out transactions without Payment ID, even if you input everything correctly. So now my account wont be credited on BTER and Poloniex can't man up to the mistake and send me a duplicate tx. 100 XMR is effectively lost in the ether.

Stay away from Poloniex, what a bunch of amateurs  Undecided

The coins will have arrived in BTER's wallet. Make sure you provide their support with the transaction ID (TXID) and hopefully, given the circumstances, they'll credit your account. Since they will actually have your coins, they just won't know who's they are.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
Going on 16 hours withdrawal from Poloniex to BTER...anyone else having similar issues?

ahhh great, so Poloniex API has been sending out transactions without Payment ID, even if you input everything correctly. So now my account wont be credited on BTER and Poloniex can't man up to the mistake and send me a duplicate tx. 100 XMR is effectively lost in the ether.

Stay away from Poloniex, what a bunch of amateurs  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1498
I am personally doing a small survey about XMR for all the people interested in completing it :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JqIXkjKpcEpv6lyH6SD22f_Ny0i-rhM9bV21WcOFstw/viewform

Thanks in advance

I have no idea how to answer #2, How much of your networth is in cryptocurrencies? because I have no idea how it should be calculated.

If you have non liquid assets they could not be converted to crypto, at least not easily or likely.  In the case of people who own their home it's often their biggest asset by far.

Where can we keep tabs on ONLY answers?
Activity: 109
in the setting of qt gui "i think"
you can set the directory where the executable are
Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Try to use the QT GUI wallet.
After importing the wallet I get the following error

Code:
Unable to find 'rpcwallet' or 'simplewallet' exectuables

the  'simplewallet' exectuable is in the same directory as the bitmonero-qt binary
(Ubuntu 14.04 x64)
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves.

Not true, you have revealed to Alice where your coins came from. If Alice gets coins from multiple customers that share some common history she can link the sources of those coins. In fact a third party can also start to make those links, though individual identities won't be known. However, if some identities are discovered later, that information can then be used to make links with other transactions.

If you are assuming that Alice can't tell where the coins come from without mixing because they are pre-anonymized (mixed), then you haven't really accomplished anything. You still need a mix in between each change of ownership.

Also, once you send the coins to Alice, you can trace what Alice does with them, unless there is mixing. Again, you need a mixing on every change of ownership.

thanks for the insightful reply!
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
Monero is really doing well, just check trading volume:

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves.

Not true, you have revealed to Alice where your coins came from. If Alice gets coins from multiple customers that share some common history she can link the sources of those coins. In fact a third party can also start to make those links, though individual identities won't be known. However, if some identities are discovered later, that information can then be used to make links with other transactions.

If you are assuming that Alice can't tell where the coins come from without mixing because they are pre-anonymized (mixed), then you haven't really accomplished anything. You still need a mix in between each change of ownership.

Also, once you send the coins to Alice, you can trace what Alice does with them, unless there is mixing. Again, you need a mixing on every change of ownership.
Activity: 798
Monero Missives

July 23rd, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our eighth Monero Missive!

Major Updates

3. Along with this change is a new README, that should be a little better at giving the correct build instructions, as well as explaining the development rationale and a more formal staging -> tagged release methodology we will be using moving forward.

4. Since git (and, by extension, github) can be confusing to developers that are working on Monero code (or on any git repositories, really), one of the Monero key contributors, tewinget, will be hosting a Git Crash Course next week Wednesday, July 30th. He will be joined by fluffypony, and all interested are invited to attend. It will be broadcast through Twitch, and questions and discussions will happen in #monero-dev on Freenode during the course. It's going to be relaxed and informal, so if you want to know how to use git properly it's well worth tuning in. It will start at 2pm EST (6pm UCT). Feel free to invite anyone that you think will benefit from it!

Very pleased to see this addressed.

Also big thanks to tewingnet and fluffypony for doing a crash course I'm sure many users will find this useful. Even if you are not a direct monero dev and just a general programmer I'm sure this will be useful as a refresher or introduction whether you know how to use git or not.

Also props to mikezackles for implementing the get_bulk_payments I'm sure busoni is very pleased with that.

Keep up the good work!
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
I am personally doing a small survey about XMR for all the people interested in completing it :

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1JqIXkjKpcEpv6lyH6SD22f_Ny0i-rhM9bV21WcOFstw/viewform

Thanks in advance

I have no idea how to answer #2, How much of your networth is in cryptocurrencies? because I have no idea how it should be calculated.

If you have non liquid assets they could not be converted to crypto, at least not easily or likely.  In the case of people who own their home it's often their biggest asset by far.

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

- Is the presale (2000ETH per BTC right now) a reasonable investment chance? (I couldn't find an upper bound on the coin supply for the presale.)

With no upper limit on coins issued during presale, I have no idea whether 2000ETH equates to 2000XMR (in terms of coin supply) or 2000XDN!

For that reason alone, I'm out... for now.
legendary
Tell me where im wrong here smart guys. Or if i right.

So you shouldn't need to actually use ring signatures very often. Say that we have 3 inputs in our wallet of 2, 4, 5  and  monero. Say that we need to pay alice 10 monero.

We use alices public address plus nonce_a to generate 1_time_address_a and send our 5 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_b to generate 1_time_address_b and send our 4 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_c to generate 1_time_address_c and our own public address plus nonce_d to generate 1_time_address_d and send 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1 _time_address_c and 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1_time_address_d.

Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves. No ring signatures have been used. The only problem here is that transactions, over time, are becoming more and more dusty. So inorder to avoid creating more dust on the network, the only ring signature you would need to use is to send that 1 monero back to an address you already control instead of a new one that you have just created for yourself.

I think you still need ring signatures.

The one time addresses provide unlinkability so that the three payments made by Alice are not known to be sent to the same person receiving.

But the payments don't have untraceability since you can still see that Alice sent all three payments. If ring signatures were used (and assuming you used mixin > 0) then you have the case where an observer can't tell if Alice sent it or another party did.

Yea sure they would be linked if you made them all part of the same transaction. But you could do 3 separate transactions. That way you have unlinkability, untraceability, and no ring signatures (though still the aforementioned problem of creating dust).
Activity: 133
Merit: 100

So you shouldn't need to actually use ring signatures very often. Say that we have 3 inputs in our wallet of 2, 4, 5  and  monero. Say that we need to pay alice 10 monero.

We use alices public address plus nonce_a to generate 1_time_address_a and send our 5 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_b to generate 1_time_address_b and send our 4 monero input to it.

We use alices public address plus nonce_c to generate 1_time_address_c and our own public address plus nonce_d to generate 1_time_address_d and send 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1 _time_address_c and 1 monero from our 2 monero input to 1_time_address_d.

Nothing has been revealed about any parties involves. No ring signatures have been used. The only problem here is that transactions, over time, are becoming more and more dusty. So inorder to avoid creating more dust on the network, the only ring signature you would need to use is to send that 1 monero back to an address you already control instead of a new one that you have just created for yourself.

I think you still need ring signatures.

The one time addresses provide unlinkability so that the three payments made by Alice are not known to be sent to the same person receiving.

But the payments don't have untraceability since you can still see that Alice sent all three payments. If ring signatures were used (and assuming you used mixin > 0) then you have the case where an observer can't tell if Alice sent it or another party did.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
It's wonderful to see how Monero PR team works. Everytime there's a painful topic in this thread, some new members arrive and start posting irrelevant bullshit. You're doing great guys!

There are 10k HODLers, some of them join the chat here.  I did not see anything painful in thing that was solved yesterday. It related exchanges. And i am sure they put attention to solve it perfectly, to not lose clients.

Monero have 10k members in PR. Every coin should have them. Everyone needs to get at least one new investor till end of the year.  Grin

This is big, but Monero was 60-70% of Poloniex trades.
Rias you could ask Poloniex to add your coin in Monero exchange. Will prosper for sure.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

Yes.  There was  bug with payment IDs for a while.  See this post from hitBTC for some info.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7987831

It really sucks to have money in limbo.  I do too.
Activity: 22
Merit: 4
It's wonderful to see how Monero PR team works. Everytime there's a painful topic in this thread, some new members arrive and start posting irrelevant bullshit. You're doing great guys!

Come on, proof-of-haiku, really? The "core team" failed for several weeks and potentially exposed every XMR user with a bug leading to money loss. Could you make a haiku on that? Smiley

I have been able to fine tune my PoH discovery code to include merged mining with other cryptonote coins.  I would also like to point out I am the first to accomplish this.  Here is the first block discovered with Ducknote and Bytecoin merged mining.

acting like a child
you just come to gloat and mock
sour grapes for lunch?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Making a mistake is not childish.  It's human, and it happens to everyone.  Casting the first stone and all that.  It doesn't matter if the mistake is apparently simple or not.

The test in this is whether the Monero team addresses it in an adult way:  Will they add tests and/or procedures to *prevent this same kind of error* from getting introduced again?  Will they communicate that they've done so?

I suggest taking a chill pill and checking back after the dust has settled instead of pointing fingers and calling people names.

Here's a nice bitcoin bug from last year to ponder:  http://ecurrency.ec/2013/03/bitcoin-bug-resolved/

If there aren't improvements made to, e.g., regression and acceptance testing, as a result of this, then make noise.  But adding that and doing an adult post-mortem of what went wrong takes longer than a few hours when your development team is small and scattered around the world.

Incidentally, this was spotted in regression and testing and fixed: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/commit/e7a3bd19f61d047f3daa49910e0d7da41ef47a8b

The mistake was not realising that it wasn't rpcwallet-specific and needed to be fixed in master as well.

A formal test suite is lacking for RPC calls. There are some tests for the daemon, but not what we'd expect to see, so this is something that needs to be brought up to scratch in a big way.
legendary
Activity: 1218

kbm
Activity: 84

Wow! That's going to be pretty fun to play with. Guess they really were planning on going ahead with this. They were hinting at it for a while when they took down most of the LTC markets, and everyone kept asking what was up.

I wonder if it will help with daily stability. It's a big step, and I'm happy to see that, of all exchanges still offering XMR trading, Poloniex is again willing to make the first move to support this project in large ways.

They've really been making some big improvements -- you can see the entire market depth now, and you can also see the market movements/trollbox without needing to log in now.
Jump to: