Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1623. (Read 4670622 times)

r05
Activity: 193
Merit: 100
test cryptocoin please ignore
In fact, there is no community around the coin – it's all lies and PR.

i hear monero is a project entirely funded by skynet. it's going to kill mankind and send robots back to kill john connor.

I know this because a really respected and high status bitcoin dev told me so yesterday in a shady, unmonitored and unlogged IRC channel. here is a chat log of the convo:

[ 12:02 18/07/2014 ] r05: yo
[ 12:01 18/07/2014 ] satoshi_dev: hi
[ 12:33 18/07/2014 ] satoshi_dev: xmr is skynet lol
[ 12:33 18/07/2014 ] r05: really?
[ 12:35 18/07/2014 ] satoshi_dev: don't trust it
[ 12:29 18/07/2014 ] satoshi_dev: find sarah connor
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
What is the main goal for the trolls? What can they do?

They just try to spread FUD on Monero. They believe it will favor their own stuff (DRK/BCN/the cryptonote team?).
But they do it so badly that I am sure it is doing the exact opposite.

Ahh, ok.
One of the reasons I did not use this forum before is a lot of scammers here.
But, strarted using XMR, I see, it will be hard to leave without community help.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free

They just try to spread FUD on Monero. They believe it will favor their own stuff (DRK/BCN/the cryptonote team?).
But they do it so badly that I am sure it is doing the exact opposite.
Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Again these idle talks!  If you don't respect devs, you should be silent. Leave your opinions to yourselves, please.

I said it once and will say it again: I will say what I think, and if you don't share my opinion, you had better shut up. They are deceiving you and I can't call these crowd "team". I think this is unacceptable

A pattern is emerging from the trolls in the thread. Young accounts, textbook examples of fudding and empty, as good as desperate accusations. No proof to mention.

I read a couple of weeks back about a spin doctor who came forth and named and shamed his cohorts, while telling the story of being paid, by the post, for a smear campaign against chosen target coins. Instructions on posts from those who paid for the smearing. It was an appalling read but necessary as it shed light on what actually happens behind the scenes.

This makes me pretty certain the trolls are just paid people doing what they are instructed.

Losing coins like drk and bcn will fight themselves bloody before giving up to XMR, which is surpassing them. For them it is a race without rules.
Also the posts frequent higher when XMR is rising. A good meter really Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
^ You shall not pass.
Activity: 91
Again these idle talks!  If you don't respect devs, you should be silent. Leave your opinions to yourselves, please.

I said it once and will say it again: I will say what I think, and if you don't share my opinion, you had better shut up. They are deceiving you and I can't call these crowd "team". I think this is unacceptable
Activity: 83
Merit: 10

Monero team has no one competent in C + +

I told you that they are just copycats, this team has nothing to share with the cryptoworld!

I told you that they are just copycats, this team has nothing to share with the cryptoworld!
Hi, troll

This thread is more 500 pages. And a lot of people post here everyday and it is not a spam. There are a lot of people, supporting this coin in Twitter, Facebook, Reddit. It grows up rapidly.
And you say there is no community?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Here come the trolls again lol. Gotta give you guys props for your persistance, its admirable.
Activity: 81
Merit: 1

Why hasn’t an official GUI wallet been created yet?
Those, that are created already can be enough for users.
Procedure of installation must be easier.
Activity: 46

Why hasn’t an official GUI wallet been created yet? The coin’s out for a while, it’s about time they settled this problem.

You see, you can't steal a wallet's code, that's all. What kind of development are we talking about here.
Activity: 266
Why hasn’t an official GUI wallet been created yet? The coin’s out for a while, it’s about time they settled this problem.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Hash rate has just trickled over 17 m/h which is an ATH for us. This is almost double what we were around a week ago and correlates with the price rise nicely.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Great! It works! Great thanks for you guys, who helped me!

So the algorythm for newbies is the next one (thanks to equipoise + my comments):
1) Download the Windows 64 bit binaries from the official page: http://monero.cc/.
Here they are: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x64.latest.zip
2) Extract it in folder of your choice (for example D:\XMR)
3) Create a new file named runXMR.bat file with this commands in it:
Code:
Code:
@echo off

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq bitmonerod.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "bitmonerod.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  echo Starting node...
  start /MIN bitmonerod.exe --seed-node 62.210.78.186:18080 --seed-node 195.12.60.154:18080 --seed-node 54.241.246.125:18080 --seed-node 107.170.157.169:18080 --seed-node 54.207.112.216:18080 --seed-node 78.27.112.54:18080 --seed-node 209.222.30.57:18080 --seed-node 80.71.13.55:18080 --seed-node 107.178.112.126:18080
) else (
  echo Node already started.
)

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq simplewallet.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "simplewallet.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  if exist wallet.bin.keys (
    echo Starting previous wallet...
    start simplewallet.exe --wallet wallet.bin
  ) else (
    echo Starting new wallet...
    start simplewallet.exe --generate-new-wallet wallet.bin
  )
) else (
  echo Wallet already started.
)
4) For fast synchronization with the network:
 a.) Download the win 64x blockchain from the OP. A link: http://monero.cc/downloads/blockchain/win/blockchain.bin
 b.) Place it in a folder you created already. For example D:\XMR

5) Double click the runXMR.bat file you've just created - this will open both the daemon (it'll start sync) and the wallet
5.1) On first run you'll create the wallet. You'll be asked about password ONCE.
6) Write down the 24 words it gives you - with those you'll be able to recover the wallet without knowing the password (you could use copy/paste). Keep it safe!
7). After synchronisation process finishes (an hour or so) - Quit the wallet with 'q' and 'enter'
7.1).Run the runXMR.bat file again - type your password to decrypt the wallet and you'll be sure you know the right password.
8.) BACKUP your wallet (there will be 3 files - wallet.bin, wallet.bin.keys and wallet.bin.address.txt, but the most important file is the .keys file)
Cool After the daemon sync enter 'refresh' in the wallet.
You could use 'help' in both daemon (bitmonerod) and simplewallet to see all the commands but 'refresh' and 'q' ('exit') are the most used (also 'transfer' obviously).

9. For comfort use download and install GUI.
You can see info on the first page of this thread.
9.1 I choosed this one: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monerox-a-cross-platform-graphical-account-manager-for-monero-683365 only because it was the first in the list. ;]
9.2 Install GUI and setup it as listed on a screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/8zcaUET.png
9.3 Wait until syhchronisation process will finish. In my case it has taken about 30-40 minutes.
10. E-N-J-O-Y Mining and trading Monero!
I'll start today.  Roll Eyes
I really hope it can help to someone who wants to join this community.  Wink
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
What details? Daemon was shut down for 3 days, started - no sync for hours.
Deleted blockchain, resync - all is fine by magic.
Until blockchain bloat&problems are solved long term future for cryptonight is not good

PS: And having daemon which sucks GB ram and lots of cpu&bandwidth running 24/7 is unacceptable

Details would include things like your operating system, CPU/RAM/available disk space, what errors show up in the daemon window (if any).

Your next step would be to check if there is an open github issue for the problem you're facing, and if not you should open one: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues

At the end of the day, this is an open-source project that is in very early alpha stages, and you are most welcome to fix the problems you've described and submit your code via a pull-request.
Jump to: