Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1678. (Read 4670614 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
The seed phrase suffices to recover a wallet.  Remember to delete simplewallet.log once you have recorded it.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Does anyone know - is it possible to recover wallet info if I lost my wallet password? wallet.[bin+keys+txt] files is present.

sure just use that mnemonic passphrase that you wrote down when you first created your wallet.

I dunno about that, I think you'd still need to know your wallet pw after you recreate it unlock it, not 100% sure tho...

Cant say I personally tried it myself so I'm not sure either.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Does anyone know - is it possible to recover wallet info if I lost my wallet password? wallet.[bin+keys+txt] files is present.

sure just use that mnemonic passphrase that you wrote down when you first created your wallet.

I dunno about that, I think you'd still need to know your wallet pw after you recreate it to unlock it, not 100% sure tho...
legendary

Activity: 30
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Just put a time box around the traversal, and suddenly it becomes pretty cheap.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
anybody else have a feeling monero is about to explode?

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Bear in mind the reason that payment IDs were introduced in the first place - exchanges found it impractical to use their previous Bitcoin based practice of generating unique wallet addresses for each user. This is because you cannot derive the balance of each wallet by simply scanning the blockchain for txes using that wallet address, with Monero the wallet has to attempt to decrypt every tx on the blockchain to see if it "belongs" to that wallet, which requires exponentially more processing power.

It is not impractical for a user to generate as many wallet addresses as they wish, especially if they are "disposable" for short term use so they can be forgotten and not kept updated. I don't currently know how much processing power is required to keep an XMR wallet in sync with the blockchain so I can't hazard a guess at whether the "average" user PC could maintain unique wallets to the order of 10/100/1000 - if you were asking me to pull a figure out of thin air I would estimate it to be in the low hundreds at most. You can see how that presents a scaling problem for exchanges/merchants, as simply maintaining wallets for users would incur an extra cost for the computing resources required to maintain them.

On a slightly related note, the "exchange XMR wallet" is indicative to me of how fundamentally different Cryptonote coins are to Bitcoin derivatives; exchanges have always said "dont mine to your exchange coin address" and yet many people seem to do so anyway. Then they decide to start mining XMR because its profitability is rather attractive and they see instructions like "don't mine to your exchange address as you will lose all your coins - you must create your own wallet", but decide that's just another silly warning they can ignore like they did before. I dont think that's because its too complicated to setup the daemon and wallet, its on a par with setting up a new miner for a new coin, its just that a lot of people will do the minimum amount of reading/research they think necessary to get where they want.
legendary
Re: payment id

Even if the merchant never changes your payment ID at all (or does so in an insecure manner) you can protect you own privacy by designating a single wallet for all transactions to the merchant and then funding that wallet from your "real" wallet using suitable mixing.

I've never been a fan of the pid feature especially in the half baked manner it is currently implemented but privacy-wise effective work arounds exist.

Careful there.  You'd be surprised how much can be leaked by even this.  PIDs are pretty bad.

A non-rolling PID gives away the distribution of customer payments to the merchant, and the number of customers.  An adversary with many nodes could, over time, learn the likely originating node for a particular payment ID (based upon where it sees it first).  If that per-merchant ID is hosted on the same machine as your normal wallet, you're leaking quite a bit.

Even a rolling PID eliminates the benefit of shattering the transaction into fixed-sized pieces for the purposes of mixing.  Nervous nervous.

Yup. Rolling PIDs are non-solutions anyway because an anonymous currency can't rely on third parties to maintain the privacy of the network.

My fear is that adoption and dependence of PIDs will grow too quickly before more robust wallet addressing ever gets implemented. At that point removing the Payment ID "feature" may be too costly.

I dont think we have to worry about it being too costly because unless we fix problems like this at some point than the coin its self will not have very much value to begin with.

And you know. You could always make a new address, send the funds there, and then send the receiver the private key. EZPZ problem solved.

better yet, why cant the service providers just make a unique address for each transaction. even easier.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514

Even if the merchant never changes your payment ID at all (or does so in an insecure manner) you can protect you own privacy by designating a single wallet for all transactions to the merchant and then funding that wallet from your "real" wallet using suitable mixing.

I've never been a fan of the pid feature especially in the half baked manner it is currently implemented but privacy-wise effective work arounds exist.

Careful there.  You'd be surprised how much can be leaked by even this.  PIDs are pretty bad.

A non-rolling PID gives away the distribution of customer payments to the merchant, and the number of customers.  An adversary with many nodes could, over time, learn the likely originating node for a particular payment ID (based upon where it sees it first).  If that per-merchant ID is hosted on the same machine as your normal wallet, you're leaking quite a bit.

Even a rolling PID eliminates the benefit of shattering the transaction into fixed-sized pieces for the purposes of mixing.  Nervous nervous.

Yup. Rolling PIDs are non-solutions anyway because an anonymous currency can't rely on third parties to maintain the privacy of the network.

My fear is that adoption and dependence of PIDs will grow too quickly before more robust wallet addressing ever gets implemented. At that point removing the Payment ID "feature" may be too costly.
Activity: 140
Merit: 102
Hello Monero Community!

We've just released PocketCrypto, a new Cryptocurrency Management App that will allow you to easily manage your Monero investment. I'm a Monero investor myself and am excited to see what the future holds for this coin.  The coin has lots of potential. Hope you guys will check out the app and Good Luck to All!

We currently support all coins on Mintpal and Cryptsy. Polo and Bittrex will be added in approximately a week.

Pro Version (super awesome!) (no ads) (earlier updates)(no coin limit) (just because you love us Cheesy)

Free Version (still awesome!)(10 coin limit)

Please check out our main post for additional info, Thanks!
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ann-blockfolio-bitcoin-and-altcoin-portfolio-app-android-and-ios-660696

Thanks to everyone that has supported our app. Smiley   Bittrex is now live on the newest update!
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511

Even a rolling PID eliminates the benefit of shattering the transaction into fixed-sized pieces for the purposes of mixing.  Nervous nervous.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10
For newbies, Monero devs core team is working on to embed a database, such as rocksdb,

http://rocksdb.org/

to fix blockchain bloating issue. It is one of the tasks, see github repo for all details,

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/network

As for now hot fix is simply switching to 64-bit executables, migration instructions were posted earlier this thread bold font by florida.haunted.

legendary
Oh, perhaps you missed the Monero pizza auction?
I have a score to settle with fluffy since then  Wink

I do remember...guess I didn't read that carefully tho
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
Oh, perhaps you missed the Monero pizza auction?
I have a score to settle with fluffy since then  Wink
legendary
Apologies for the slight off-topic:
If anyone has plans to develop an online wallet for Monero sometime in the future, please PM me if you'd like to have the very meaningful 'monujo.com' domain. I will carry on with plans of my own if there are no takers, but knowing what little time I have available, I'd be happy to let it go towards deserving hands. This is not a straight up market offer - if the Monero team expresses that they want the domain for an 'official' platform, it's theirs for the prize of a pizza.

(Pizza is currently valued at exactly 250 XMR. Oh yeah fluffy, the pizza man is back to haunt you!)
Cheers,
~ Myagui

lololol that is one cheesy motherfucking pizza Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
Apologies for the slight off-topic:
If anyone has plans to develop an online wallet for Monero sometime in the future, please PM me if you'd like to have the very meaningful 'monujo.com' domain. I will carry on with plans of my own if there are no takers, but knowing what little time I have available, I'd be happy to let it go towards deserving hands. This is not a straight up market offer - if the Monero team expresses that they want the domain for an 'official' platform, it's theirs for the prize of a pizza.

(Pizza is currently valued at exactly 250 XMR. Oh yeah fluffy, the pizza man is back to haunt you!)
Cheers,
~ Myagui
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Unfortunately, it is the only way to identify payments at this point. And I don't believe a better alternative is even a priority.

It has been raised in #monero-dev a number of times, and we are considering options. It's not a priority, in sense of it needing to be done in the next two weeks, but we are cognisant of the need to change this and to change it soon.

Personally, I don't see how a rolling payment ID when coupled with a reasonable mixin reduces the anonymity set in any specific or measurable manner, but I understand that most merchant systems won't roll the payment ID over. In terms of threats to anonymity via a reduction in the anonymity set, this is actually quite far down the list. Identifying payments by the uniqueness in the amount is a considerably more realistic threat, and we are combating that by looking at fixed denominations (eg. 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and so on).

I'd also hazard to say that as a dev team, our focus is on a combination of privacy, untraceability, and security, but we are also trying to figure out how to achieve usability and solve pressing technical concerns. Everything will evolve and improve over time, getting caught up on any single hurdle at this early juncture is just going to mean we're running pillar-to-post. We know academically where weaknesses lie (see the latest annotated whitepaper), and we are expanding that to implementation weaknesses in the code as well. The result of all of this will be a stronger cryptocurrency that can only improve on the reasonably high privacy Monero already provides:)
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
I think the takeaway here is that this is a world currency. Some of us live in happier places than others and some of us have more trust in our governments than others. When it comes to identifying weaknesses in systems it's important to view things from the most corrupt perspective possible, because someone out there will attempt to exploit it.
Jump to: