Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1835. (Read 4670606 times)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10
XMR is the future.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
MoneroCoin.com for sale / will accept offers in Monero

OMG i want it so hard! i bid 0.0000000001xmr for the domain name + 0.0000000001 if you don't post here anymore

such deal

wow
                                                        very xmr

such domain                                                     

very deal
legendary
In the meantime, everyone should try to move their hashing power around to non-major pools in an effort to cut down on dust. Note that mining dust hurts your profitability as well, as you need to generate more tx (and spend more fees) in order to transfer it anywhere.

Exactly. Try to find a pool that is no bigger than 100-200x your own hashrate.

If you are only using one computer with 200 H/s, try to find a smaller pool that is 20 KH/s or smaller.

If you a larger miner, you can use the larger pools, but try to keep to the above guideline to avoid the dust issue.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
This is what I get when I attempt to use the save_bc command (save blockchain):

Error: Blockchain can't be saved: possible lost connection to daemon

But in the terminal window for bitmonerod.exe it says:

SYNCHRONIZED OK

What am I doing wrong. It is a pain to have to continually wait for the blockchain to redownload each time I restart the bitmonerod.EXE file.

Type 'save' in the daemon window. Also, if you type "exit" in the daemon window when closing, it automatically saves blockchain before exiting.

That error is usually a bug as well, the daemon still usually saves the blockchain, it's just that the RPC timesout because the daemon is saving.

Im on Windows 7 starter 32bit. This was never a issue with the previous deamon/wallet.

The deamon sync in its normal slow time. If I sync everyday then the deamon will take about 1/2hr to sync but this problem with simple wallet is unbearable

The issue is due to both stealth addressing and the tx dust from the pool software, which is still being fixed. In a CryptoNote coin, you must test each transaction output to check to see if it is owned by your private key. Therefore, as more tx emerge, it takes longer to scan the blockchain.

There has got to be a better way to do this.

If this ever gets used by many the sync time will be FOREVER.
The problem right now is that obscene amounts of dust is being created by zone117x's pool software, which is causing slow resyncs. When the dust issue is properly addressed, this will be less of an issue.

In the meantime, everyone should try to move their hashing power around to non-major pools in an effort to cut down on dust. Note that mining dust hurts your profitability as well, as you need to generate more tx (and spend more fees) in order to transfer it anywhere.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Im on Windows 7 starter 32bit. This was never a issue with the previous deamon/wallet.

The deamon sync in its normal slow time. If I sync everyday then the deamon will take about 1/2hr to sync but this problem with simple wallet is unbearable

The issue is due to both stealth addressing and the tx dust from the pool software, which is still being fixed. In a CryptoNote coin, you must test each transaction output to check to see if it is owned by your private key. Therefore, as more tx emerge, it takes longer to scan the blockchain.

I believe a user "andytoshi" on cryptonote.org forums just posted today that this might be alleviated with merkle roots. Also, I think I've read the dev's here say that they are working on a database like that.

https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209#p682
Activity: 56
Merit: 0

SYNCHRONIZED OK

What am I doing wrong. It is a pain to have to continually wait for the blockchain to redownload each time I restart the bitmonerod.EXE file.

All I've ever done to save the blockchain is type "save" and press enter in the bitmonerod window, not the simplewallet window. "exit" also should save the blockchain and then exit.

To save my wallet data, all I've ever done is type "save" into the simplewallet window and press enter, not the bitmonerd window. "exit" should also save the wallet and then exit in this window.

I didn't even know there was a save_bc command in one of them .. which program uses that command?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

SYNCHRONIZED OK

Activity: 403
Merit: 250
MoneroCoin.com for sale / will accept offers in Monero
Activity: 728
Merit: 504
same here

Hey guys,

I installed the new 11 june win64 binaries(just copy pasted over my old ones, like I mostly do) and I try to start bitmonerod to sync the network, but it seems like it never syncs, and on top of that, it SRSLY hang my network bandwith, like 90%. what is wrong?

Can you pastebin the output from the daemon?
im sry u mean the .txt file? its mostly this"Sync data returned unknown top block: 81531 -> 81902" and keeps going on.... the real problem is it hangs my network! I was successfully using the last edition like 12 hours ago! and I cant find the old version of exe anymore because OP updated it... :/

That means it's catching up - it WILL use all the available bandwidth till its caught up, there's no rate-limiting on it.

Remember: Monero is still alpha-level software and is not ready for widespread use or in situations where bandwidth is limited. A lightweight SPV-style client will only happen in the future once we've made everything a lot more robust and stable and workable:)

I have been following monero since its launch. This bitmonerod behavior is not normal, after the update it got buged. I will let it update, but filling up an entire 30/2,5 vdsl line for some 12 hours worth of synching bytes is not normal. It is the first time the exe behaves like that. Plz do fix asap.

edit: apparently it synced, but leaving the bitmonerod open appears to have detrimental effect on the network, im not sure whether this was the case before.

yes, my connection is dying if I leave bitmonerod open when syncing. even my btc miners go offline.  Undecided

Activity: 560
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
Pools that need to be removed from OP:

- http://mon.hashharder.com (no api available)
- http://xmr.ext-pool.net/ (no api available)
- http://42.62.16.188:8080/ (website is down)
Done (the first too are pending confirmation for a day or two). Thanks surfer!

By the way, where is mropool.org located?
Amazon EC2, Ashburn, VA, United States

P.S. You can find the pool's IP by typing "host example.com" in bash (but make sure to use the url of the mining server if the mining server is a different IP than the web server). Then you can Google the IP for its location.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team

Done (the first too are pending confirmation for a day or two). Thanks surfer!

By the way, where is mropool.org located?
Activity: 560
"Trading Platform of The Future!"

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1010
Hey guys,

I installed the new 11 june win64 binaries(just copy pasted over my old ones, like I mostly do) and I try to start bitmonerod to sync the network, but it seems like it never syncs, and on top of that, it SRSLY hang my network bandwith, like 90%. what is wrong?

Can you pastebin the output from the daemon?
im sry u mean the .txt file? its mostly this"Sync data returned unknown top block: 81531 -> 81902" and keeps going on.... the real problem is it hangs my network! I was successfully using the last edition like 12 hours ago! and I cant find the old version of exe anymore because OP updated it... :/

That means it's catching up - it WILL use all the available bandwidth till its caught up, there's no rate-limiting on it.

Remember: Monero is still alpha-level software and is not ready for widespread use or in situations where bandwidth is limited. A lightweight SPV-style client will only happen in the future once we've made everything a lot more robust and stable and workable:)

I have been following monero since its launch. This bitmonerod behavior is not normal, after the update it got buged. I will let it update, but filling up an entire 30/2,5 vdsl line for some 12 hours worth of synching bytes is not normal. It is the first time the exe behaves like that. Plz do fix asap.

edit: apparently it synced, but leaving the bitmonerod open appears to have detrimental effect on the network, im not sure whether this was the case before.

yes, my connection is dying if I leave bitmonerod open when syncing. even my btc miners go offline.  Undecided
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
is fluffypony a core dev for monero?
Yes, see Monero Missive #1 for the list of core devs.

Whats a good hashrate for CPU, and GPU, and how does profitability compare to other big alts right now?
See Monero configurations for the list.

Both links are on the OP too.
Im going to try on another computer and report on weekend.

Well eizh is right. One hour per 1000 blocks is not caused by cryptonote addressing. Something is wrong with your build, computer, or install. I sync 1000 blocks in under a minute on a old-ish (~3 years) computer.

So I can only update my wallet while Im asleep and make sure to update deamon/wallet twice/day after that.

I think I should keep 1/2 my Monero at the exchange as obviously I cannot transfer my coins whenever I wish.

Nothing ancient re computer[2yr old Samsung] and 4gb of RAM. Windows extra bloat removed and everything else runs speedy. I can run stuff that makes deamon/wallet look like notepad.exe.

Internet 15mbit

eg. I can do aDarkcoin/X11 or any other coin FULL block download in 45-1hr max

The problem is not with my computer/internet unless its a windows 7 problem

One hour for 1000 blocks is much, much too slow (should be ~50x faster). Either he's on an ancient computer or something is wrong with the latest 32-bit build.

I'm guessing maybe low on RAM?
legendary
Well eizh is right. One hour per 1000 blocks is not caused by cryptonote addressing. Something is wrong with your build, computer, or install. I sync 1000 blocks in under a minute on a old-ish (~3 years) computer.

So I can only update my wallet while Im asleep and make sure to update deamon/wallet twice/day after that.

I think I should keep 1/2 my Monero at the exchange as obviously I cannot transfer my coins whenever I wish.

Jump to: