Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1860. (Read 4670606 times)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
How does payment ID work? Can it be used to send a short message like "delivery instructions", or "colour", when ordering products (when such a market exists)?
Activity: 68
Does anybody know how to get rid of 3.15 XMR that I mined at Moneropool.com? I've tried send it to Poloniex in batches of 1.5, 1, 0.5, 0.2... nothings works. Sending over 1.5 does not work, "transaction too big" error. Smallest amounts seems to work at first but minutes later the coins come back to my wallet. I've never seen a piece of shit like this.  Angry

Are you using the 0.8.8 wallet? With latest wallet you pay a fee, but should be able to convert your small change to coin. There is a point where the dust is worthless, but mining pools should not issue that dust in the first place. Don't join a pool where your share of the hash is microscopic.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Hi I'm new in this Coin

How to generate a Payment ID

You only need this when you are sending to an exchange from simplewallet

How to send money to a other User

Is there a tutorial

If you want to try this with a very small amount I'd be happy to help you.

I can send you a small amount and you can try and send it back.

Carlo
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=java

Does this explain why people dont like Java? (Besides other valid reasons.)
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Why is I2P so important to you?

more privacy for people running nodes: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6930412

Quote from: monero
However, I2P presents a challenge, as the current router software is written in Java, and the Monero project would not like to add Java as a dependency, neither would it make sense to add is as an attack surface.

So literally the only reason Anoncoin's usage of I2P doesn't have people going wild is that the software is written in Java?

Is there more to this? Does someone just not like/code in Java, but the implementation was good? What's the problem?

I see it called an attack surface. What problems does Java I2P router present that a c++ one would not?

Can someone please sell this to me? Did Anoncoin just not market an incredible achievement properly, or was there some serious flaw that nobody talks about?
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Can someone please link me to the top addresses for monero?

If there exist such a public list.

As previously indicated the main point of this coin is to not support that (i.e. "private" into the thread subject).

You can in fact create such a list but it doesn't mean anything because on-blockchain addresses are one-time-use so all you are listing are unspent outputs, not public addresses.

Yes if people shared their view keys that would yield more information but I can't see any reason whatsoever why significant number of people would ever do that.

Okay that makes sense.

If the one-time addresses were listed in descending order wouldn't that give a list that is worth looking at?

The issue isn't who owns what address or what address is associated with the one-time addresses, the question is based around verifying the current total of monero in circulation.

Hey smoothie. You should be able to count all the coins in circulation by adding up all the coins in the one time addresses.

I kind of figured that. Has anyone created a list of the one-time addresses with the largest balances? Or is that information useless?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

As previously indicated the main point of this coin is to not support that (i.e. "private" into the thread subject).

You can in fact create such a list but it doesn't mean anything because on-blockchain addresses are one-time-use so all you are listing are unspent outputs, not public addresses.

Yes if people shared their view keys that would yield more information but I can't see any reason whatsoever why significant number of people would ever do that.

Okay that makes sense.

If the one-time addresses were listed in descending order wouldn't that give a list that is worth looking at?

The issue isn't who owns what address or what address is associated with the one-time addresses, the question is based around verifying the current total of monero in circulation.

Hey smoothie. You should be able to count all the coins in circulation by adding up all the coins in the one time addresses.
oh noooo...
where do you have that from? i really love the current design of a deamon and a seperate wallet: just talking through well defined rpc commands

Um, I think I saw it in IRC ... maybe this thread though? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bounty-for-open-source-bytecoinmonero-gui-589561

It also might be in this thread we're in now.

I like how this works too, but you have to admit .. it's pretty limited. I can't see addresses I've sent money to easily, I can't see received amounts easily .. etc.

For this to be a fit financial tool, it will need things like easy to view transaction logs. The logs are already stored in txt files, but they're hardly usable.

What would be beautiful is a lightweight wallet .. where you don't need the entire blockchain. I think aminorex mentioned something about mycelium integration as well.

legendary

Okay that makes sense.

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

bitmonerod is a client that synchronizes your blockchain and broadcasts transactions/mined blocks.

simplewallet manages your funds.

both are being integrated into a qt wallet very much like bitcoin.

oh noooo...
where do you have that from? i really love the current design of a deamon and a seperate wallet: just talking through well defined rpc commands
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

So like where is the monero client that is like bitcoin client?

btw there is not bitmonero folder in my %appdata%...

Why are there 4 applications to this thing?

You want illiterate ppl to jump on board where is a guide?

Edit: Already frustrated.

Sorry if you're frustrated. I know all of your questions are being worked on, based on the devs past responses.

bitmonerod is a client that synchronizes your blockchain and broadcasts transactions/mined blocks.

simplewallet manages your funds.

both are being integrated into a qt wallet very much like bitcoin.

you should have a bitmonero folder in your appdata after you type save into the bitmonerod daemon.

I'll look for a few of the guides that have been worked up, I know someone made a video too.
Activity: 112
So like where is the monero client that is like bitcoin client?

btw there is not bitmonero folder in my %appdata%...

Why are there 4 applications to this thing?

You want illiterate ppl to jump on board where is a guide?

Edit: Already frustrated.
Does anybody know how to get rid of 3.15 XMR that I mined at Moneropool.com? I've tried send it to Poloniex in batches of 1.5, 1, 0.5, 0.2... nothings works. Sending over 1.5 does not work, "transaction too big" error. Smallest amounts seems to work at first but minutes later the coins come back to my wallet. I've never seen a piece of shit like this.  Angry

Pools are working on fixing that. It's because of all the dust payments you get in a block making the "size" of the transaction too big. Ex: you will have a bigger transaction if you were to send out 3 monero that you received as 30 payments of .1 MRO rather than sending out 3 MRO that you received as 3 MRO from the pool. It is mostly linear, so if your transaction says 88kB in size is too big for a 23kB in size maximum then usually (if you're pool mining) you can just try to divide by 88/23 = 3.82. I realize this specific example doesn't work for you, but it's just an estimate.

So try to send in less than .5 MRO. I would imagine some kind of input tracker (if possible) would be great so that you could make better judgements in the future.

Fortunately this only has to be done once, once you've minimized the inputs .. the transaction size is always going to be smaller.

Also, are you using the latest daemon?
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Does anybody know how to get rid of 3.15 XMR that I mined at Moneropool.com? I've tried send it to Poloniex in batches of 1.5, 1, 0.5, 0.2... nothings works. Sending over 1.5 does not work, "transaction too big" error. Smallest amounts seems to work at first but minutes later the coins come back to my wallet. I've never seen a piece of shit like this.  Angry

Innate stealth addressing prevents this from being a fully realized possibility. I'm pretty sure if everyone were to share their viewkeys such a list might be able to be created.

legendary

That's a good question.

What does it offer to me in the first place? I am trying to answer this question better myself. In trying to answer this .. I tried to make a comparison with what wasn't important about it in the past. In the past, Anoncoin has offered it to me. And now, I am trying to see what was "not good enough" about it to warrant a full c++ router development.

Apart from what I don't know that it hasn't offered me .. well I would certainly enjoy the privacy afforded by what I imagine a correct system like that would offer. Privacy in the sense that my metadata won't be analyzed so freely without my ability to say either "no" or "for a price". Perhaps, I could sell access to my viewkeys Smiley . I like the idea of not being constantly bombarded with ads for things I've purchased months ago. It's creepy. But, for a price, I would consider selling that data. This is a small example.

Perhaps, I wouldn't like people to know who I conduct transactions with ... other than just that other person? Privacy doesn't have to become non-existent in this century.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
Anoncoin is copying Zerocoin as soon as the code is out. This has more or less become their main mission and reason for existing.

Yeah, I see that their new swing is zerocoin compatability or something.

But, I found this thread .. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3324938

It seems like they had/have I2P. Why didn't it take them to the moonTM Smiley ?

Was the I2P there broken, unfinished, unwanted, or simply not feasible? Maybe it wasn't paired up with a goodsuitable protocol like CryptoNote?
Jump to: