Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1864. (Read 4670606 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
- Client and blockchain is still very light, IMHO.
- AFAIK, SPV clients (like MultiBit) or Server-Trusting Clients (like Electrum) are both possible, but not yet implemented. There is a alot of (brain &) dev work to do, before SPV clients will be possible/done.
(Thin Server-Trusting Clients are always possible with any coin, that has a public blockhain, secured by head hashes.)
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Is it possible to have a lightweight client for Monero?

you can consider simplewallet as a lightweight client (at least if you run your own server somewhere)

btw: how secure is connecting simplewallet to an untrusted server? i guess: they can lie about the chain but they dont have access to any money? can anyone confirm?

edit: i did it using putty: ssh tunneling the rpc port to an remote monero server
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Is it possible to have a lightweight client for Monero?
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
They could consolidate inputs systematically.  It is a silly workaround and will soon be unnecessary.
Activity: 300
Something like 2/3 of all my withdrawals from poloniex are failing. Support doesn't seem to offer much help other than "try a smaller amount". It's an intermittent issue, in that sometimes a withdrawal of a given amount will work, and sometimes it won't. Just wondering if the Monero devs are working with Poloniex on this?

all my recent withdrawals from Polo this week went smoothly and automatically. I only had to request manual withdrawal for first two transactions which happened 2 weeks ago. A moderator on trollbox told me this is due to API of Monero, they can't do anything.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 272
1xbit.com
Something like 2/3 of all my withdrawals from poloniex are failing. Support doesn't seem to offer much help other than "try a smaller amount". It's an intermittent issue, in that sometimes a withdrawal of a given amount will work, and sometimes it won't. Just wondering if the Monero devs are working with Poloniex on this?
Activity: 723
Merit: 503
Have you guys been browsing the GUI thread? the logo looks just plain awesome on some of the upcoming software

Also, switch to a smaller pool, so your payments are less frequent but larger in size.

Unfortunely most of miners tend to stick with pools which have less orphaned blocks, i.e. largest pools.

I think we need some tweaks at protocol level to prevent this problem with small miners.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
I must be doing something wrong... When I try to transfer more than 1 XMR I get this error msg. I'm using the right command (transfer 0 ) Any ideas?

Error: transaction <2c8673622b1b0197add13c336ed439ee3884252da11417b25bcb2794dde14f4b> is too big. Transaction size: 35187 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes

Thanks!
You're not doing anything wrong, but there is a limit on transaction size. You have received many small transactions thus your transaction will use very many inputs and in total it is above transaction limit. To fix this send smaller amounts. If you need to send exactly 1 XMR you could setup another wallet where you transfer funds first, e.g in increments of 0.1 XMR or whatever is the maximum you can send.

Also, switch to a smaller pool, so your payments are less frequent but larger in size.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
So used to being able to search by an address that I totally left aside this little bit.
One more thing. Why aren't Monero Block Explorers searchable by the addresses? (only hash, transaction ID)...pretty inconvenient.

What you're calling inconvenience actually the privacy of CryptoNote:

- Untraceable payments
- Unlinkable transactions
- Blockchain analysis resistance

You're not doing anything wrong, but there is a limit on transaction size. You have received many small transactions thus your transaction will use very many inputs and in total it is above transaction limit. To fix this send smaller amounts. If you need to send exactly 1 XMR you could setup another wallet where you transfer funds first, e.g in increments of 0.1 XMR or whatever is the maximum you can send.
As far as i know this problem happen with small miners because they get too many dust transactions. Is there any plan to fix ? It's quite annoying.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
One more thing. Why aren't Monero Block Explorers searchable by the addresses? (only hash, transaction ID)...pretty inconvenient.

By design...true anonymity.
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
I must be doing something wrong... When I try to transfer more than 1 XMR I get this error msg. I'm using the right command (transfer 0 ) Any ideas?

Error: transaction <2c8673622b1b0197add13c336ed439ee3884252da11417b25bcb2794dde14f4b> is too big. Transaction size: 35187 bytes, transaction size limit: 24400 bytes

Thanks!
Activity: 5
hey guys you know the website could be way better with just 1 days work... do you want me to make you something real quick?  

for example your contact form gets a 405 error, the price link pages looks pretty confusing, etc.

just let me know i can suck out the content and slap it into something nicer looking in a few hours that should hold you over.

i've done some of the websites for mastercoin which get pretty good conversions (50%+) on wallet downloads

pm me since i dont read this thread all the way through

Chat about it on the IRC Wink

I hope this happens!  The self-ascribed core of seven people can't be good at everything, so it's crucial that they keep the tent open.  That website is absolutely awful in presentation and content.  There should be step-by-step instructions for installing the dependencies on every major operating system, not just 'oh this random guy behind this oblique link to a forum post was able to get it working on an ubuntu VM, maybe he can help you'.  If no single person can collate this information then use a wiki.
Activity: 10

Thanks!
legendary
legendary
I don't think it makes sense though. They just upgraded their software, added a new coin. I doesn't look like they're shutting down.
Activity: 301
Do NOT use minergate, they will scam your coins. You won't be able to withdraw your coins and their support will reply to you!

What are you talking about? Does this have any credence at all? Just fudding?

Can someone else confirm or deny this statement?

Here is all the proof,
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=528848.new#new

Just tried it myself and you're right about not working at the moment.
I stopped using Minergate, had 13+ MRO (lost), what a waste of time. I'm mining http://moneropool.org/
I hope this is a good pool and they pay. I guess i'll find out soon.
legendary
Do NOT use minergate, they will scam your coins. You won't be able to withdraw your coins and their support will reply to you!

Here is all the proof,

Just tried it myself and you're right about not working at the moment.
Activity: 301

Here is all the proof,
Jump to: