Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1910. (Read 4670606 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I would like to know...

It would be possible to see a GPU miner in the future?
legendary
Activity: 1564
Merit: 1027
All right, people. You asked for Win64 binaries of the optimized miner, and finally, they're here. You want Win64 flavor - this thread is where you want to be: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-more-optimized-mro-cpuminer-updated-05282014-proof-of-2x-increase-619373

Thank you. Will test it and report the results
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
All right, people. You asked for Win64 binaries of the optimized miner, and finally, they're here. You want Win64 flavor - this thread is where you want to be: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-more-optimized-mro-cpuminer-updated-05282014-proof-of-2x-increase-619373
thank
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
^There are deposit and withdraw problems. Sometimes it takes 1-8 hours to withdraw or deposit and sometimes it's instant. If it doesn't show in a few hours write them a ticket. 
legendary
Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001
Are there deposit problems with MRO and Poloniex?

I sent several MRO 3 hours ago
They don't show even as pending at Poloniex!
ANd the daemon is synced...
Activity: 336
Merit: 260
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Stupid question, but how do I solo mine on linux?
If I start the ./bitmonerod daemon, does it solo mine automatically?
When I exit it, it says mining has completed or something like that, does it mean it is mining while running?

You should start simplewallet and give mine command to it.

The wallet command is

Code:
start_mining [number of threads]

You can also go right into the daemon window and do:

Code:
start_mining [address] [number of threads]

^In bitmonerod:
Code:
start_mining mro_address number_of_threads
Or in simplewallet while the bitmonerod is also started and synced:
Code:
start_mining number_of_threads
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
When I exit it, it says mining has completed or something like that, does it mean it is mining while running?

You should start simplewallet and give mine command to it.
Activity: 336
Merit: 260
my 4770k at 4.7GHz gets like 200-300 H/s on 7 threads
is this due to the upgraded mining software that was released just these past few weeks?

Yes, actually it's been increasing rapidly with multiple updates the last few weeks.

One of the most recent updates takes advantage of AES acceleration in newer hardware (allowing you to maximize on 4 threads), while I believe the newest one takes advantage of the lightly used threads (not sure of the exact mechanism so if someone knows please correct) and fully maximizes the processor. I'm pretty sure NoodleDoodle/Wolf/LucasJones worked on the AES acceleration, but only saw Wolf talking about further maximization on top of that.

Well, actually, there are several optimizations. A while ago, LucasJones and I did the AES-NI instructions, allowing hardware acceleration. After that, I doubled the speed of the miner just about, comparing his repo to mine, with a number of optimizations: tightening up that one loop that executes like 250,000 times per hash, using mmap() options to speed up the memory access if it's available, stuff like that. I've been so busy coding I've hardly slept in days.  Smiley

See my thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-more-optimized-mro-cpuminer-updated-05282014-proof-of-2x-increase-619373
Could someone please add those optimizations to the bitmonerod.exe and simplewallet.exe? This is very important for orphan blocks and fast synchronization. I'm still solo mining with 130 H/s. I tested your latest optimizations in VirtualBox with Ubuntu, but it's much slower then the native windows bitmonerod.exe. I tried the pools few times and for 48 hours of mining in the pools I got just 0.1 MRO (should be much more, but no luck for the pools while I was mining). Solo mining and keeping a full node running 24/7 is still much more profitable and is much better for the network. Windows mining was slower then Linux most of the time except for a few days when the Windows version was faster with one of the NoodleDoodle optimizations. This is making profit mostly for the cloud mining on Azure and EC2 and they are dumping all of the mined MRO as soon as they get them, so on my opinion keeping the bitmonerod official version up to date with the latest hash rate optimizations is of high priority.
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
Oh Lord, I will not enter this discussion in earnest, otherwise I would never get any work done.

On the debasement debate interleaved upthread:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6988668

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6995625

I add a more recent post of mine:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.6720958

In that thread above you can find a debate between bitfreak! and myself on debasement.

As for animorex's diversionary red herring tactic on the word "selfish", I offer this:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/economic-devastation-355212

Focus on the "Rise of Knowledge" essay and understand why savings must decay otherwise knowledge doesn't advance.

I expounded on a later blog:

http://unheresy.com/Information%20Is%20Alive.html#Thought_Isn%27t_Fungible
Activity: 56
Merit: 0

Well, actually, there are several optimizations. A while ago, LucasJones and I did the AES-NI instructions, allowing hardware acceleration. After that, I doubled the speed of the miner just about, comparing his repo to mine, with a number of optimizations: tightening up that one loop that executes like 250,000 times per hash, using mmap() options to speed up the memory access if it's available, stuff like that. I've been so busy coding I've hardly slept in days.  Smiley

See my thread here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-more-optimized-mro-cpuminer-updated-05282014-proof-of-2x-increase-619373

Will follow your thread from now on! Thanks for keeping us in the game .. without you staying up for insane amounts of time I can only imagine that someone might have just made a miner they didn't want to share (although I don't think they would have been able to put the kind of time necessary into it) Smiley . I think tomorrow I'm going to start up all my machines again and mine with them rather than just keeping the daemon up and solo mining on just one comp .. had to turn them off last week due to sad stuff .. but that's over now so I guess it's time to get back into the pools!
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
Why my cpuminer shows 500 H/s , but at minergate I can only see something like 100-120 H/s ? Last cpuminer version. The same thing occurs at extremepool.

my miner shows 200-300 H/s but I only see a constant 25H/s on moneropool.org

did not have this problem when mining on extremepool.org, but I'm not sure if this affects mining rewards at all
Activity: 308
Merit: 100
Why my cpuminer shows 500 H/s , but at minergate I can only see something like 100-120 H/s ? Last cpuminer version. The same thing occurs at extremepool.
is this due to the upgraded mining software that was released just these past few weeks?

Yes, actually it's been increasing rapidly with multiple updates the last few weeks.

One of the most recent updates takes advantage of AES acceleration in newer hardware (allowing you to maximize on 4 threads), while I believe the newest one takes advantage of the lightly used threads (not sure of the exact mechanism so if someone knows please correct) and fully maximizes the processor. I'm pretty sure NoodleDoodle/Wolf/LucasJones worked on the AES acceleration, but only saw Wolf talking about further maximization on top of that.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019
i'm also waitting for a optimized cpu minning tool, it seems that somebody has that version, now it's unfair for vs whice use the old tool~~

Why would you do that when mining with the existing miner is still very profitable? (And I would add does not risk wasting your time mining unspendable coins or other problems, as happened to people using another too-hastily-released mining tool.) Testing is good. Be patient.

I mined with 4x Core i7 3770 for four days straight and didn't find a block. doesn't seem profitable to me. was I just unlucky?

What was your hash rate?  Here's the computation for my i7-4770, which gets roughly 25 hashes/sec (I'm not at it now):

blocks/day = (86400*hashes/sec) / diff

Diff *now* is really high, but yesterday it was around 16,000,000, so:

86400*25/16000000 = 0.135

Which means that it should find a block every 1/0.135 = 7.4 days.  Your 3770s are probably similar, so with 4 of them, you should find a block every 2 days or so.  You could have been unlucky or maybe I over-estimated the hash rate you were getting.

With diff at 35m, you'll get a block every 4 days.  I'd probably move to a pool, because while you should be getting 4-5 MRO per day from your setup, it'll be very bursty.

Huh? I have an i7-4770K, and I get ~35h/s. And I'm only using 6 threads, so I don't lock up the system if I try to compile something.

The K is a bit faster than the 4770 for this one, based on comparing notes with some other people.  I was guessing from memory - it probably gets more like 29.

Activity: 605
Merit: 500
Another Anonymous Currency Based on Ring Signatures(A mature technology),
will beat DarkCoin.
Any news about adding monero on mintpal?

Last I heard this hasn't changed, the original news was they're going to re-consider it in a couple months .. which was followed by adding Bytecoin for voting to the exchange just looked and I didn't see it on their list .. maybe I remembered wrong? Not sure of the reasons for their decision, but can respect it currently as we're on three other exchanges.

What do we set as payment ID?

I am going to transfer my coins from my old wallet, to the new wallet as recommended a few posts above.

Do I simple log into the old wallet, and send it to the new wallet address?

What is payment id, can I leave it blank?

Is this correct to use: transfer 2 [myaddress] [# of coins]

You don't have to have a payment ID at all unless you're transferring to an exchange. It's used for the exchange to separate your money from someone else's .. because otherwise it's totally anonymous and they don't know who sent what. If that's the case and you are sending to an exchange, add it as follows (your setup is correct otherwise):

transfer 2 [Address you want to send Monero to] [# of coins] [payment ID]
Activity: 263
Merit: 250
Hi, how do i make a transaction? Is address 1 my address or the destination address? what is with the mixin_count? And where do i put the transaction id from poloniex? Please give me an example. Thanks in advance.

The address is the address to which you are sending, not yours. The mixin count determines the sender anonymity of the transaction (if you don't want the transaction traced back to link with your other transactions). If you aren't concerned with that you can use 0, although 1 is generally better. The payment ID goes at the very end, after the amount:

[wallet] transfer mixin destination-address amount payment-ID

Mix-in is the size of the ring signature (how many past transactions to use to blend your sender's address in?). Use a number from 0 to 99/100. Zero means no hiding, you are the only one signing. One means use another transaction as well to sign the transaction. This makes it possible for you to deny being the sender legally (it wasn't me, i swear. It was the other guy who mixed with me). The CryptoNote whitepaper proves mathematically that nobody can guess, only from reading the blockchain, which one was the actual sender with better than 50% accuracy (meaning you could flip a coin and do no worse). This scales up with the size. If you mix with 99 others nobody can guess it was you with better than 1% accuracy. The downside is a bigger transaction. Right now there is a fixed fee for all transactions but this will change at some point. In practice, a mix-in of 5 is considered reasonable and one of 20 is considered probably sufficient for all future practical purposes. (Please somebody correct my numbers if wrong)

You can mix in layers, say mix once send to yourself mix again send to destination. This multiplies the mixing factors but probably opens up some attack vectors which are not yet well understood such as timing attacks. If you only mix in one layer there are very few avenues to extract any information from the blockchain. In this sense Monero is almost perfectly opaque (pseudonymous and untraceable). Once I2P routing is implemented around august or so then that also becomes true about your IP address.
Jump to: