Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1955. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0
[18:18] !calc 225
[18:18] With 225 H/s you should get 2.80 MRO per Day

I WISH I was making that right now. I've gotten 0 from solo mining for 2 days and .5 for pool mining lol.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
As I said the fee structure should reflect the actual cost of processing the transactions, or perhaps modestly higher to prevent spam but only impose a small extra cost on legitimate users. What that looks like exactly is TBD. It may not be necessary to exactly adjust to all the factors that account for cost as long as the fee is always a little higher than cost. We can start with something more than the negligible fee that is used now and go from there.
I suggest 0.0001 MRO as a starting point.

We know BTC's relay fee isn't high enough to entirely prevent spam but it to keep it under control somewhat. BTC's fee now is 0.00001 or 0.0001 if you are are using an older version (and some other numbers for other older versions). That's around $0.005 so whatever that translates into in MRO is probably about right. Eventually this should be dynamic, of course, and BTC is looking at doing that as well, but we do need a realistic fee that prevents millions of spam transactions as an attack.

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
yes minergate is the one doing this? is it this pool would it happen with another pool?
http://moneropool.org seems to be working fine with cpuminer after 10 minutes.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

Hey...  how do I get simplewallet to stop crashing when unlocking my wallet?  I have already checked on a different workstation and it is opening just fine.  Also...  I have never managed to open this wallet with CryptoNoteWallet though...  it keeps saying Initializing even with the updated version.

Is there anything I can do to make simplewallet to STOP CRASHING when I try unlock???   Undecided

Try this:
1) Backup your wallet (wallet.bin.keys is the most important file)
2) Delete wallet.bin (not wallet.bin.keys)
3) Start simplewallet - it'll ask you for wallet name -> write "wallet.bin"
4) Enter your password. Your wallet will be generated based on the wallet.bin.keys

Edit: wallet.bin is inconsistent with different systems (linux, windows, 64x, 32x), but wallet.bin.keys could be used on any system.
Activity: 37
someone needs to fix the cpuminer fork https://github.com/Lucasjones/cpuminer-multi

because it litterally stop working after 10 min of mining.. then have to restart all over for it to work

[2014-05-23 07:41:56] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 07:41:56] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 07:41:56] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 07:42:07] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 07:42:07] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 07:42:07] ...retry after 10 seconds

was there a fix for this?
Which pool?

Minergate has been doing that

yes minergate is the one doing this? is it this pool would it happen with another pool?

Hey...  how do I get simplewallet to stop crashing when unlocking my wallet?  I have already checked on a different workstation and it is opening just fine.  Also...  I have never managed to open this wallet with CryptoNoteWallet though...  it keeps saying Initializing even with the updated version.

Is there anything I can do to make simplewallet to STOP CRASHING when I try unlock???   Undecided

Can you try deleting wallet.bin (but not wallet.bin.keys) and then opening wallet.bin with simplewallet?
Activity: 994
Merit: 500
someone needs to fix the cpuminer fork https://github.com/Lucasjones/cpuminer-multi

because it litterally stop working after 10 min of mining.. then have to restart all over for it to work

Which pool?

Minergate has been doing that

Which pool?
Activity: 37

As I said the fee structure should reflect the actual cost of processing the transactions, or perhaps modestly higher to prevent spam but only impose a small extra cost on legitimate users. What that looks like exactly is TBD. It may not be necessary to exactly adjust to all the factors that account for cost as long as the fee is always a little higher than cost. We can start with something more than the negligible fee that is used now and go from there.
I suggest 0.0001 MRO as a starting point.
legendary
2: exactly the same as a dust attack on the Bitcoin blockchain. Do we not remember the 1Enjoy 1Sochi dust attack? Attackers attempting this quickly run out of funds, which is kinda the point of transaction fees:)
The tx fees with Monero are extremely low compared to Bitcoin, especially considering the price difference.

I could send 1 million transactions for 2 USD right now.

The level of transaction fees is definitely TBD. As I mentioned they should be somewhat close to the cost of actually processing the transaction (at which point if someone sends a million transactions, great, that's more business for miners), and right now that is likely not the case.

Do tx costs scale depending the laundry depth? If not, the attack vector can be to use maximum laundering per tx to create as much bloat as possible. But if they are charged proportionally then it might give away the laundry depth (?).

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Activity: 169
Merit: 100
Does this coin have a local wallet client?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
2: exactly the same as a dust attack on the Bitcoin blockchain. Do we not remember the 1Enjoy 1Sochi dust attack? Attackers attempting this quickly run out of funds, which is kinda the point of transaction fees:)
The tx fees with Monero are extremely low compared to Bitcoin, especially considering the price difference.

The level of transaction fees is definitely TBD. As I mentioned they should be somewhat close to the cost of actually processing the transaction (at which point if someone sends a million transactions, great, that's more business for miners), and right now that is likely not the case.

Do tx costs scale depending the laundry depth? If not, the attack vector can be to use maximum laundering per tx to create as much bloat as possible. But if they are charged proportionally then it might give away the laundry depth (?).
legendary

If this is true something will have to be done because every coin that had very low fees has suffered attacks when it mattered (litecoin, dogecoin), in doge case it required a hard fork which I'm sure Monero will be able to deliver, possible together with lager time between blocks, which would require large blocks so emission remains the same...

There will likely need to be a client/node update to impose a realistic relay (anti-spam/anti-dust) fee. It's not really a hard fork, just something we will want people with nodes/wallets to update, which they probably will anyway, and there is no hard fork required to rationalize the miner transaction fees (probably; I may be missing some secondary change needed).

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
As far as your IP given away, who cares?  All anyone can tell is that you used MRO and sent some amount somewhere and thats all right?

When you get sufficiently paranoid (as you should if lives or even livelihoods are depending upon it) then you worry about things that most people can barely conceive, like traffic analysis, replays and men-in-the-middle, even vanEck radiation.  There's fundamentally no limit to paranoia.  It would be nice to have a user guide for various use cases.  

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1001
Are there any clearer instructions for using Monero?
The link for the GUI wallet seems to be broken and i am unsure how to start mining.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Question 1: Can it be set with something like a slide-bar, on demand, per transaction? Like I want to launder it 5 times or 2 times.

Question 2: Can an evil entity attack the blockchain by artificially bloating it with tons of bogus transactions? What would be the estimated cost of the attacker in order to make the blockchain unusable?

1: it already is, you set the mixin count per-transaction. There is no default in the CLI wallet, you are forced to set it when sending. I normally use 0 because I don't a craving for anonymity in moving coins to people or to an exchange, but I have had no problem moving largish amounts with mixins of 10.

Jump to: