Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1953. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 545
Merit: 500
We need a working multi-plateform GUI wallet soon. any ETA on it yet?
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?
Drk already go da moon
Will the MRO too?

MRO will push the moon out of its way.
Activity: 518
Drk already go da moon
Will the MRO too?
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
I get a long running script error in ie. Chrome just shits itself.
Activity: 560
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
extremehash.com is crashing my chrome and ie. Don't know why it keeps doing this.
Also crashes Firefox 29 on Ubuntu.
Activity: 5
Bought in, love the software, hate the name.  We need a nickname that rolls off the tongue stat.

Edit: it's funny to me that it's borrowed from Esperanto since it actually carries over a design flaw - no way should the name of an international currency include a rhotic consonant, those are really hard for a lot of people to pronounce, depending on the phonology of their native language.
Activity: 850
Merit: 1000
I'm pool mining with the most recent version of simpleminer, and no matter which pool I use, the rate of my submitted shares start out good, but then after 3 minutes, a share is being submitted only every 60-90 seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this? My system is Xubuntu 14.04.

Is cpuminer better? If so, there are several different cpuminers available. Which one should I get for pool purposes?

You should find that the difficulty of the shares your submitting is also increasing.  Perhaps simpleminer isn't showing that, but it's very likely the case.

Ah. That is a reasonable explanation. It goes through many "Getting next job..."  "Job didn't change" cycles before it submits a share. As long as that's to be expected, then ok.

Can anyone recommend a particular version of cpuminer?
Activity: 52
extremehash.com is crashing my chrome and ie. Don't know why it keeps doing this.
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
I'm pool mining with the most recent version of simpleminer, and no matter which pool I use, the rate of my submitted shares start out good, but then after 3 minutes, a share is being submitted only every 60-90 seconds.

Is cpuminer better? If so, there are several different cpuminers available. Which one should I get for pool purposes?

You should find that the difficulty of the shares your submitting is also increasing.  Perhaps simpleminer isn't showing that, but it's very likely the case.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
Transaction fees should be a fixed percentage of the block reward, or at the very least not be controllable by the payer. If payers can optionally pay more then it opens the door for miner discrimination and tx fee bidding wars.
Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I think it is a rare privilege to be able to participate in these conversations.
I think it is a rare privilege for us to have you posting here Smiley I enjoy reading your posts.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
but happy to stay in once I get to 8:1 BTC:MRO

pardon the stupid question:

8 BTC and 1 MRO, as you state, or

8 BTC and 1 BTC's worth of MRO?

Thanks for slumming.

When I want a crypto-neutral reference point, I think in fiat, so, your second option is my intention.  I neglected to say 'in purchasing power terms'.  I'm not there yet.  That's a ratio I selected on the basis of my current estimates of  risk/reward, but as MRO demonstrates more maturity and/or I learn to better anticipate its moves, I would probably raise the MRO fraction.   In an ideal world, given the priority I place on privacy, if the purchasing power of each were stable, I would probably reverse that ratio, putting 89% of my crypto purchasing power in MRO, and 11% in BTC, or something on that order.

I am an aggressive risk-taker.  I'm trying not to be crazy stupid, however.  Just crazy is fine.

The slumming comment kinda hurt.  I'm definitely communicating badly, if that's the vibe.  Sorry.  Will try harder.  I think it is a rare privilege to be able to participate in these conversations.  Well, the trolls are a bummer.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
but happy to stay in once I get to 8:1 BTC:MRO

pardon the stupid question:

8 BTC and 1 MRO, as you state, or

8 BTC and 1 BTC's worth of MRO?

Thanks for slumming.

Activity: 322
what is the best method of converting bitcoin to usd.

I see that there are methods to buy bitcoin. but the methods to convert bitcoin to usd are wire transfer and that costs too much money.

I dont own any bitcoin and would like to buy some mro. hate all these conversion stuff. thanks.

Coinbase.com is the easiest, quickest, safest method for noobs. All you need is a checking account and a credit card and you could probably buy up to $1000 instantly today.

thank you. and it is easy to convert back to cash with coinbase from your experience?

Yes it's even easier to sell back your Bitcoin on Coinbase. Just make sure you're really ready to sell because it won't show up in your checking account for up to 5 days so you won't be able to get back in if you change your mind. Also, word to the wise, don't bet the farm no matter how confident you are in a coin! Only invest what you can afford to lose. It always bears repeating that.
Activity: 28

Get regular payouts at the rising pool known as...

www.extremehash.com

https://i.imgur.com/IAFd1JB.jpg
Activity: 81
Merit: 10
<3 big picture
Ok, so I finally got the shits with cpuminer-multi putting out booooo all the time after a certain point, and did something about it.

Its not pretty, but it works..  here's a shell script which checks minerd is running, and if it starts saying "booooo" it kills it and restarts it.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

coin=QCN
pool=bigpool.com:1234
wallet=1234blahblah4321
minerpath="/home/ubuntu/minerd"
minerdcmd="minerd -a cryptonight -o $pool -u $wallet -p x -q"
maxboos=2
looptimer=15

while true; do
        running=`ps -C minerd | grep minerd | wc -l`
        maxnum=`cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep processor | wc -l`

# check minerd is running
        if [ $running -lt 1 ]; then
                echo `date +%H:%M:%S` - $0 - No minerd found: starting miner on $coin @ $pool
                $minerpath/$minerdcmd  2>> $minerpath/minerd.log &
        # sanity check to make sure no more than one is running
        elif [ $running -gt 1 ]; then
                echo `date +%H:%M:%S` -  Too many minerd found: killing and restarting
                killall minerd && sleep 5
        fi

# check for boooo in the minerd output
        boos=`grep 'boooo' minerd.log | wc -l`
        #if there's fewer than allowed, just say so
        if [ $boos -lt $maxboos ]; then
                echo `date +%H:%M:%S` - Found $boos / $maxboos boos
                sleep $looptimer
        else
        #otherwise, there's too many, so shoot the miner
                rm minerd.log
                echo `date +%H:%M:%S` - FOUND TOO MANY BOOS - $boos / $maxboos
                #restart minerd
                killall minerd && sleep 5
                echo `date +%H:%M:%S` - Restarting miner on $coin @ $pool
        fi
done;

(Note - the above script is pointing at a QCN mining pool, but this works for MRO ones too)

I run it with this command:

Code:
nohup ./alive.sh &

Then you can look in nohup.out for output when it restarts etc., and in minerd.log for hashrate and yay's Smiley

And here's my MRO address in case you find this helpful Cheesy
4BJgMQLr4d3XwqxzZsQrmvXHF2RXXGWuJSDqhtyQUebA2zz4G4Xa32S4rp8UTMb9kh2cVPCwoGZfUMT KvtFpBFN6AaU6kYR
Activity: 196
Merit: 10

I see that there are methods to buy bitcoin. but the methods to convert bitcoin to usd are wire transfer and that costs too much money.

I dont own any bitcoin and would like to buy some mro. hate all these conversion stuff. thanks.

Coinbase.com is the easiest, quickest, safest method for noobs. All you need is a checking account and a credit card and you could probably buy up to $1000 instantly today.

thank you. and it is easy to convert back to cash with coinbase from your experience?
Activity: 322

BUT bitcoin wont adopt any anon-technology, at least not decentalized in the qt-wallet. bitcoins main goal at the moment is to seek law compliance and to become truly legal in important economies. no way they will adopt anon-tech and shoot themselves in the foot.

bitcoin will stay anon-tech free for quite some time and another (illegal) crypto will emerge and fill that gap. maybe drk, who knows.
People tend to forget there is a market (and a huge one) for traceable transactions.
- Public spending
- Donations

I have the feeling people are implying anonymity is better than transparency. Fact it is one is not superior to another. They are different. And, dare I say, complementary.

And it is not even a matter of good guy and bad guy. Just read about sousveillance and you will understand how traceability may help the society as a whole as much as anonymity can.

David I think you have a really good point! Althought, I think in the end the market for anonymous money will be bigger. I know myself I have never had any desire to have my transaction history be knowable to others. I definitely think you're right though that there will always be a place for non-anonymous currencies. Perhaps Bitcoin will continue to fulfill that roll in the future if an anonymous currency like Monero attains dominance.
Activity: 560
smooth, good point about recipients.

Can you (or someone else) explain what Boolberry did to allow pruning and why it works? The solution I knew of was to make old outputs unspendable. This quote from crypto_zoidberg:

For this reason in Boolberry we changed tx identification from whole blob hash to tx_prefix hash, and when blockchain entry will be covered by checkpoint the ring signatures could be cutoff.
Jump to: