Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1957. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 252
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
seems like a great investment.  Hope it pays off!
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
^freenode -> #monero -> !calc
Activity: 448
Merit: 252
no profit calculator?
Activity: 265
Merit: 119
New pool: extremehash.com, based in the US

The pool found a block overnight, any idea when it  is going to be paid out?

You do realize they wait 60 confirms, right?

Right, it was found few hours ago, so there have been more than 60 confirmations for sure. The maturity block counter on the pool page upon page refresh displays negative numbers that are decreasing, so I am pretty sure that the block is already confirmed. In addition, the time the block was found is reported as 1 AM, which regardless of the US timezone is far enough in the past.

To the operator of extremehash.com, thank you for fixing the payouts issue, working fine now!
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
Hmm, not sure about those exchanges at all. Any hope of a cheeky Monero donation to help me get in  Smiley
Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Very nice post sir.

How did you gain this deep knowledge of the protocols? If you are a coin dev if it would be great to have you on board this project.

My knowledge isn't deep, I just read up on things said by people who do have deep knowledge. Cheesy

One should understand his own investments and the competition before investing, no? This seems to escape most people, who prefer to latch on to a few words that they think they understand (and then go on a trolling spree).
legendary
Activity: 1344
Bytecoin will also have to fix it's own issues to become NSA-proof. As it is right now, it is not. And the extremely low transaction volume in its network doesn't allow for much mixing (same applies for clones). Mixing without volume = problem. Darkcoin has a tremendous advantage in that department.

I'm afraid with that, you show you have no clue what ring signatures even are. This is actually where CryptoNote outperforms DRK by a massive margin that cannot be closed. DRK, like just about all altcoins, has a microscopic volume in the bigger financial picture - only BTC (and maybe LTC) has the consistent volume to pull off half-usable CoinJoin since it requires other participants. Ring signatures do perfect mixing with arbitrary amounts and arbitrarily low volume. And I do mean perfect. They are the theoretical limit that CoinJoin can't approach. ZKP is also perfect, but with a larger anonymity set that comes with other costs.

You also don't seem to understand 'bloating'. Because that's actually not even it - the issue is pruning. All cryptographically strong anonymity solutions cannot perform pruning because they, by nature, need outputs from far in the past. Why? Because that's precisely how you get a large anonymity set! The very reason Bitcoin and Bitcoin-clones like DRK can perform pruning is because their anonymity is of low quality and fundamentally limited to that low quality. Saying a system has '99.99% anonymity' when you don't seem to understand the concept of an anonymity set is kinda of silly, no?

There actually are (inconvenient) ways to prune ring signature or zero knowledge currencies.
But here we are in 2014 with a large Bitcoin blockchain and we're doing fine. Hardware and network improvements have outpaced the blockchain growth. If sync time is your argument against actual anonymity rather than pretend anonymity, that's rather unconvincing.

Very nice post sir.

How did you gain this deep knowledge of the protocols? If you are a coin dev if it would be great to have you on board this project.
Bytecoin will also have to fix it's own issues to become NSA-proof. As it is right now, it is not. And the extremely low transaction volume in its network doesn't allow for much mixing (same applies for clones). Mixing without volume = problem. Darkcoin has a tremendous advantage in that department.

I'm afraid with that, you show you have no clue what ring signatures even are. This is actually where CryptoNote outperforms DRK by a massive margin that cannot be closed. DRK, like just about all altcoins, has a microscopic volume in the bigger financial picture - only BTC (and maybe LTC) has the consistent volume to pull off half-usable CoinJoin since it requires other participants. Ring signatures do perfect mixing with arbitrary amounts and arbitrarily low volume. And I do mean perfect (bounded by the anonymity set). They are the theoretical limit that CoinJoin can't approach. ZKP is also perfect, but with a larger anonymity set that comes with other costs.

You also don't seem to understand 'bloating'. Because that's actually not even it - the issue is pruning. All cryptographically strong anonymity solutions cannot perform pruning because they, by nature, need outputs from far in the past. Why? Because that's precisely how you get a large anonymity set! The very reason Bitcoin and Bitcoin-clones like DRK can perform pruning is because their anonymity is of low quality and fundamentally limited to that low quality. Saying a system has '99.99% anonymity' when you don't seem to understand the concept of an anonymity set is kind of silly, no?

There actually are (inconvenient) ways to prune ring signature or zero knowledge currencies. But here we are in 2014 with a large Bitcoin blockchain and we're doing fine. Hardware and network improvements have outpaced the blockchain growth. If sync time is your argument against actual anonymity rather than pretend anonymity, that's rather unconvincing.
legendary

thats all you need to know about DRK.

Is that really true?

No wonder the guy behind it is supporting it like it's his full time job.
legendary
Buy and sell your MRO at https://cryptonote.exchange.to

Don't use Poloniex. Had several withdrawal issues, site constantly fails to load...
Activity: 994
Can Someone please let me know everytime im mine with the cpuminer fork i get errors after like 5-10 min of mining? and updated miner of this fork?
[2014-05-23 04:53:43] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:53:43] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 04:53:55] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 04:53:55] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:53:55] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 04:54:06] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 04:54:06] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:54:06] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 04:54:17] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 04:54:17] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:54:17] ...retry after 10 seconds

You should ask this on the pool that you are minings thread.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
Can Someone please let me know everytime im mine with the cpuminer fork i get errors after like 5-10 min of mining? and updated miner of this fork?

[2014-05-23 04:53:43] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:53:43] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 04:53:55] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 04:53:55] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:53:55] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 04:54:06] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 04:54:06] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:54:06] ...retry after 10 seconds
[2014-05-23 04:54:17] json_rpc2.0 error: Unknown job id
[2014-05-23 04:54:17] submit_upstream_work json_rpc_call failed
[2014-05-23 04:54:17] ...retry after 10 seconds

Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
http://moneropool.org has sent payments for the last 2 days! It has a 10% mining bonus for now Wink
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Monero only has Ring Signatures going for it, which has terrible issues such as bloating and scaling

That is all Monero needs, a little bloat and scaling issues for now are a side effect of having a proper anonymous network.

lol. Anyone talking about bloat should go see how many weeks it would take to synch the BTC blockchain from scratch. ffs.

Imagine this X8.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Crackpot Idealist
Monero only has Ring Signatures going for it, which has terrible issues such as bloating and scaling

That is all Monero needs, a little bloat and scaling issues for now are a side effect of having a proper anonymous network.

lol. Anyone talking about bloat should go see how many weeks it would take to synch the BTC blockchain from scratch. ffs.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Masternodes are such a blatantly broken idea I cannot imagine someone encourages it in good faith. How do masternodes/miners/whoever verify if a coin is not double spent and originates from a wallet with sufficient balance if they don't know what they are transacting? There are three options:

1. Zero-knowledge proofs, but that is Zerocoin at the moment and the drawbacks are catastrophic.
2. Ring signatures and similar mixing constructs that hide the sender in a subset of the network.
3. Some other information leak that is not documented.

Do you understand why there is no other way?

We'll find out what Evan has in store. I'm not coding the thing. I read something about the users doing the mixing

If the New and Improved DRK implements 2, then it has at most the same strength as MRO and possibly less, with the added bonus(?) of more, unnecessary centralization. If it implements 3, then it is a failed anonymity solution. The short answer is that ring signatures are cryptographically near-perfect mixing and no Bitcoin fork can ever natively support them.

Native support is not a requirement.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
17 posts made by you in this topic in the last 24 hours, all bashing Monero and trying to spread fud  Cheesy
Have much of an agenda?

lol. good catch. He must be a major investor protecting his assets. With that said, the past 25 pages of this thread has been a DRK/MRO pissing contest. I thought we agreed to stop discussing this.

Please do stop. People come here looking for information about MRO. Also, if you think you are going to win an argument or even score meaningful points against the haters, trolls, and FUDsters, you are mistaken. Just let it go. If you want to have a pissing contest, bash DRK (even if deserved), or do anything else not directly related to MRO, please do it somewhere else.

(Not addressed to you personally SFT.)

TTM
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Darkcoin started  life as xcoin on January 18th with 80mil max coins then was  re-branded Xcoin XCO, then later to Darkcoin and max supply reduced to 22mil.
The dev is very sorry that he sits on 2 million instamined coins (~10%) because the block rewards were "erroneously" set to 500 instead of 50. Currently 4.3mil are mined.
No Windows or Mac wallet on launch and no pools.
Early google searches of "Darkcoin", lead you to a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT coin with a total coin count of something like 100,000,000,000,000,000 units and an abandoned thread as the top search results, mostly since that coin came before the existing one.

It fraudulently claims to be the first anonymous coin, it is not,  its Bytecoin for 2 years now.

Is this true?

yes, it's true. Darkcoin block reward was reduced to 1/10 of previous value after 2 million coins was instamined by .... someone  Grin
Activity: 994
17 posts made by you in this topic in the last 24 hours, all bashing Monero and trying to spread fud  Cheesy
Have much of an agenda?

lol. good catch. He must be a major investor protecting his assets. With that said, the past 25 pages of this thread has been a DRK/MRO pissing contest. I thought we agreed to stop discussing this.
Jump to: