Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1972. (Read 4670562 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I suggest conducting a poll regarding block times.  60 seconds is just batshit crazy, in my opinion.  My suggestion is to make block times a function of the number of transactions per block over the past N blocks, with a hard maximum to insure minimum emission rate and continuous mining.

This won't work in the obvious way since there is already a dynamic scaling mechanism in cryptonote for block size (and therefore transactions per block). It is probably possible to create a stable scaling mechanism that uses both dependent variables, but how to do this is not really obvious. The choice of ideal block interval is not entirely a function of transaction volume, it is also a function of latency and propagation.

In the short term the easy and relatively uncontroversial fix is to go to something 2 or 2.5 minutes. Pretty much everyone who has actually studied the problem has concluded something in that range is the smallest interval that works well today, and indeed that Satoshi's choice of 10 minute was not excessive. Including, I suspect crytponote/bytecoin, when they picked 2 minutes.

Any hard fork is effectively a poll of miners anyway, since it won't be adopted if the majority of hash power doesn't adopt it.

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
Beware, moneropool.org is not paying... They claim they are held back due to a bug - but this "bug" has been explained above, is trivial to resolve (delete invalid addresses), and they haven't done anything about the situation.

I would stay away until we know more.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
My new optimizations have been ported to Windows by Lucasjones and committed to the Git repo. If you want Win64 binaries, my thread on it is here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/new-more-optimized-mro-cpuminer-updated-05282014-proof-of-2x-increase-619373
Crashes on my core i7 3rd gen Win 7 64x SP1. It was the same with the previous version. Compiled in Linux (VirtualBox with Ubuntu) it works, but have slower hash rate then bitmonerod.exe. I'm still solo mining.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
I suggest conducting a poll regarding block times.  60 seconds is just batshit crazy, in my opinion.  My suggestion is to make block times a function of the number of transactions per block over the past N blocks, with a hard maximum to insure minimum emission rate and continuous mining.  BTC hasn't exactly suffered for its 10 minute confirms, so I would suggest a 10 minute maximum.  This would also encourage miners to use their monero, and accept payment in monero, since transactions increase the number of blocks per unit of time.  (If there is too much churn that can be dealt with in other, better, ways.)

I think botnets are the source of greatest existential danger.

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Pools have a lot of orphaned blocks don't they? like 1/4 or so.

Yes, that's sucks, because a lot of hashrate is consealed somewhere... it seems huge farms mining solo or on their own private pools.

I can tell you are a lot of people mining solo, I'm one of them, and I have a significant number of high performance computers. I do this not only in part because the returns are better mining solo (since the pools and pool miners are not quite fully there yet) but also to help keep the coin decentralized. The more solo miners there are, the harder it is for any of the pools to become too dominant. If we are lucky there will continue to be a lot of solo miners, although other coins have struggled with this.

This has little if anything to do with orphans though. As I explained in my other post, a high rate of orphans comes with 60 second blocks. That is just too fast.

Yeah, solo is awesome, I am mining Vertcoin solo with small rigs and getting good reward. Also, I am running private pool for some dude, he wanna mine solo, so it's just like solo for him.
legendary

Yes, that's sucks, because a lot of hashrate is consealed somewhere... it seems huge farms mining solo or on their own private pools.

I can tell you are a lot of people mining solo, I'm one of them, and I have a significant number of high performance computers. I do this not only in part because the returns are better mining solo (since the pools and pool miners are not quite fully there yet) but also to help keep the coin decentralized. The more solo miners there are, the harder it is for any of the pools to become too dominant. If we are lucky there will continue to be a lot of solo miners, although other coins have struggled with this.

This has little if anything to do with orphans though. As I explained in my other post, a high rate of orphans comes with 60 second blocks. That is just too fast.

legendary

Whether using pools or not, this coin has a lot of orphaned blocks. When the original fork was done, several of us advised against 60 second blocks, but the warnings were not heeded.

I'm hopeful we can eventually make a change to more sane 2- or 2.5-minute blocks which should drastically reduce orphans, but that will require a hard fork, so not that easy.
Activity: 389
Merit: 250

:/ sucks indeed.
legendary

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

What happens with pools ?

where did u get this screenshot?
Activity: 389
legendary

It seems some people mining with wrong addresses and payouts stuck. I just deleted stats for worker with wrong address on my http://monero.hashinvest.ws pool, because I don't wanna delay payouts for valid miners.

On my pool the wrong address was: 47shgHzm4mWfD2WM6YPAgLWvvx...
Activity: 308

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
I was thinking Mintpal would list this unique, innovative coin today. But instead they're adding another PoS clone. BC AC WC CINNI COMM XLB and now SYNC, what's the point of so many clone with different supply ?

This coin is a Bytecoin fork, aka a Bytecoin copy, nothing special about it...At least those PoS coins like Cinni don't copy Bitcoin down to the last coding like Monero has to Bytecoin..

There is something special about it, Monero has 0 days pre-mine, Bytecoin has 2 years premine.

If you don't understand why that bothers some people, read Satoshi's paper and recall his intention for creating Bitcoin.

Keyword: "Trustless."

When 80% of the entire coin supply and 99% of the current coin supply is owned by pre-miners, then you cease to be using a trustless coin because they can manipulate the price forever.

There is no free market, there is more centralised control in Bytecoin than the USD!
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Hi guys - thanks to lots of hard work we have added AES-NI support to the slow_hash function. If you're using an AES-NI processor you should see a speed-up of about 30%.

Interestingly enough, on Linux I had to reduce the number of cores I'm using from 8 to 4 to see the speedup, so if you're certain your processor supports AES-NI play around with the number of mining threads to see what performance you get out.

Github repo has been updated: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero

Windows 32-bit binaries: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x86.0520.zip
Windows 64-bit binaries: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x64.0520.zip
Linux 64-bit binaries: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.linux.x64.0520.tar.bz2

I'll be updating the links in the OP momentarily!
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
I like all the trading to be in one place.

I like spreading my coin around to reduce my exposure to being goxxed.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
I was thinking Mintpal would list this unique, innovative coin today. But instead they're adding another PoS clone. BC AC WC CINNI COMM XLB and now SYNC, what's the point of so many clone with different supply ?

just wrote mintpal a very long, very angry letter.

Mintpal is quickly on it's way to becoming the next cryptsy in my opinion, they are constantly rewarding these bullshit clone coins...they add cinni, whitecoin, asiacoin, and now synccoin? wtf? How many pos shitclones do they need?

They wont be able to hear you over all the BTC they're making thats all they care about. I dont get why it needs to be on mulitple exchanges though, people in the crypto scene will have heard of MRO by now and I like all the trading to be in one place.
Activity: 294

This coin is a Bytecoin fork, aka a Bytecoin copy, nothing special about it...At least those PoS coins like Cinni don't copy Bitcoin down to the last coding like Monero has to Bytecoin..

Well they also don't list Bytecoin, your argument is invalid.

His point is even MORE invalidated by the fact that cinni, etc are bc clones...

plus, this guy is a prick anyway, -16 trust? get the fuck out of here buddy noone wants you here
Activity: 294

just wrote mintpal a very long, very angry letter.

Mintpal is quickly on it's way to becoming the next cryptsy in my opinion, they are constantly rewarding these bullshit clone coins...they add cinni, whitecoin, asiacoin, and now synccoin? wtf? How many pos shitclones do they need?
Jump to: