Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2032. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
I’ve got this error repeating over and over.
I think it's still mining however.

Code:
2014-Apr-28 18:03:06.878417 [P2P6]ERROR /XXX/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/net/abstract_tcp_server2.inl:307 send que size is more than ABSTRACT_SERVER_SEND_QUE_MAX_COUNT(100), shutting down connection
2014-Apr-28 18:03:06.878504 [P2P6]ERROR /XXX/bitmonero/contrib/epee/include/net/levin_protocol_handler_async.h:515 [54.255.153.190:47988 INC]Failed to do_send
2014-Apr-28 18:03:06.878580 [P2P6]Failed to invoke command 1002 return code -1
2014-Apr-28 18:03:06.878701 [P2P6][54.255.153.190:47988 INC]COMMAND_TIMED_SYNC invoke failed. (-1, LEVIN_ERROR_CONNECTION)
2014-Apr-28 18:03:06.878771 [P2P6]Failed to invoke command 1002 return code 0
Has this bug been fixed yet? The pool daemon keeps doing this. Would changing ABSTRACT_SERVER_SEND_QUE_MAX_COUNT to 10,000 be OK?
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
meaning this coin will not hard fork to actively avoid optimized mining.

I don't know if I would go so far as to promise no hard fork for that ever. If there is some well-thought-out improved version of CryptoNight (perhaps from the original developers) and it seems useful, I could see a carefully-done hard fork to adopt it.

Half-assed efforts to tweak this or that in a poorly-researched way to desperately defeat some optimized miners will very likely not happen. Cyptonote tried to do CPU-only, and they have a reasoned justification for it (though certainly not all agree). If they fail to deliver, we won't stand in the way of that natural evolution to GPU/ASIC/whatever.

Any progress in the new mine tool?
publish a linux first,let us rise the nethash

i'm also waitting for a optimized cpu minning tool, it seems that somebody has that version, now it's unfair for vs whice use the old tool~~

The new miner will be released by noodle once it has been properly tested he is a dev.

Its not unfair if people have the skills to write their own miners...
Activity: 122
Merit: 100

I don't know if I would go so far as to promise no hard fork for that ever. If there is some well-thought-out improved version of CryptoNight (perhaps from the original developers) and it seems useful, I could see a carefully-done hard fork to adopt it.

Half-assed efforts to tweak this or that in a poorly-researched way to desperately defeat some optimized miners will very likely not happen. Cyptonote tried to do CPU-only, and they have a reasoned justification for it (though certainly not all agree). If they fail to deliver, we won't stand in the way of that natural evolution to GPU/ASIC/whatever.

i'm also waitting for a optimized cpu minning tool, it seems that somebody has that version, now it's unfair for vs whice use the old tool~~
Activity: 253
Merit: 250
Let's Boolberry

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
You see no real problem with bot herders - who are very likely to just dump the coins no matter what market price is - getting a rather large portion of the coins compared to regular miners?

Rig miners and industrial miners do largely the same thing, especially the ones with big expensive GPU/ASIC farms and large power bills to pay. Maybe they dump a little more carefully, but they still dump.

The miners who are far more likely to actually hold their coins are a widely distributed population of causal users who don't get many coins each but don't spend a lot to get them.

legendary
You really don't have to worry about botnets doing a 51%, there's not much profit in it. You'd be competing against other, "honest" botnets (weird thing to say) that are working for the coin, not against it.

Then I see no real problem. As long as they contribute to the network and behave themselves, all is well.

Sure, if you get an INSANE number of regular users to mine for themselves, then you won't have to worry about it. But most people are slow to adopt new things - and even less so when they don't see a clear benefit for them. "Who wants to make pennies a day for letting software run on your computer" - even if you could pay them in fiat, which most of them would be far more comfortable with - that's hardly a tantalizing headline. Most people would figure it's not worth the effort.

You can't assume the coin gets really big and also assume hardly anyone uses it. The idea of a wallet miner is that its very easy, probably a check box and a simple explanation ("Do you want to help secure the network, and be eligible to receive free coins?") at installation. Most causal users will check it and never turn it off (as long as it is well-written to stay out of their way, as we have both described).
legendary

Merit: 500
A well executed cpu-mineable crypto coin is in fact the ultimate botnet and will likely outcompete the other botnets. It doesn't have to hide from the users because it recruits them to voluntarily install it.

This just got meta. Cheesy

Anyway, perpetual CPU mining is the CryptoNote developers' vision, but none of the devs on Monero feel strongly about it as far as I know -- meaning this coin will not hard fork to actively avoid optimized mining. My guess is it will follow the natural evolution that BTC and LTC laid out before, although the GPU/CPU or ASIC/GPU performance ratio might be substantially worse.
legendary
what's the current block id?
how'll I understand my bitmonerond is synced?

It says 'synchronization OK' in green in the daemon window, although on occasion I've seen it get that wrong.

The current block height is 42185
legendary
About the "free" aspect of the hardware - the home user cannot often build their hashrate with very little money + a medium amount of work.

Build hash rate, heavens no. Most home users have no interest in building a mining farm. They have one computer (or maybe 2-3) -- already paid for -- and if it makes sense to run a wallet miner on it, they will (as long as it is well-written to stay out of their way, like your invisible botnet, except without the need to hide).

The purpose of egalitarian mining is to recruit a large number of casual users to mine -- and ensure they can mine at a proportionally reasonable rate -- blocking concentration and making it uneconomical. Since casual users aren't paying for "mining gear" and often might not even think they are paying for electricity (in some cases actually not), they are the low cost provider.

legendary
As for Monero not being in their radar, I agree... for now. But if the coin gets big, botnet mining will be a HUGE attraction.

We'll see what happens. It might not even stay CPU mineable that long, so its kind of silly to speculate at this point.

If it does happen though (coin gets very big, stays CPU mineable), I predict that it still won't make sense for regular users to turn off their wallet miners. Since we've assumed here that the coin gets very big, there will be many, many such users. Small or moderate botnets will be no threat at all. Large ones may or may not be.

Ultimately "the coin gets big" means almost everyone is is using it. At that point you have to believe in botnets spanning the majority of computers or even a large portion of computers. That is likely not true and never will be true. A well executed cpu-mineable crypto coin is in fact the ultimate botnet and will likely outcompete the other botnets. It doesn't have to hide from the users because it recruits them to voluntarily install it.

Height = 42175

type set_log 1 in bitmonerod and you will see when you stop getting blocks coming in constantly.
legendary
Activity: 1274
★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★
legendary
lazybear are you interested in a bounty to release the source code (maybe cleaned up a bit?) your optimized miner? 

If not, I'll probably play around with the code myself tomorrow and see if I can come up with something, or maybe Noodle Doodle will take an interest.

0. I'm not a git and programming friendly.
1. There're AES and SSE hard coded, without choice.
2. There're 3 files with a bunch of indish code.
3. Tested only on linux x64 (Ubuntu 14.04) gcc 4.8.2, boost 1.55

Ok?

Sounds like one of our developers has already done it and is still testing it before release, so no need Smiley
legendary
lazybear are you interested in a bounty to release the source code (maybe cleaned up a bit?) your optimized miner?  

If not, I'll probably play around with the code myself tomorrow and see if I can come up with something, or maybe Noodle Doodle will take an interest.

smooth, NoodleDoodle just said on IRC his latest optimizations are 4x faster on Windows. Untested on Linux so far but he'll push the source to the git repo soon.

We'll be at 1 million network hashrate pretty soon. Tongue

Cool!
Activity: 113
Merit: 14

0. I'm not a git and programming friendly.
1. There're AES and SSE hard coded, without choice.
2. There're 3 files with a bunch of indish code.
3. Tested only on linux x64 (Ubuntu 14.04) gcc 4.8.2, boost 1.55

Ok?

legendary
You think the average person will recognize the very slight increase in noise that would come from a CPU getting a little warm and the fan speed going up? Most of those cases are not designed to evacuate heat and suck in cool air, they're designed to be quiet - even under load.

100% not true for laptops. They get very loud and hot under load. That represents a large and growing portion of all PCs.

And its not true for cheap desktop PCs running at high load either. I've mined on them, so I can tell you, they get loud.

legendary
Let's say, for the purposes of this discussion, that most regular people have 2 CPUs working for them. Maybe they're high end, maybe low end, but let's just look at the number of CPUs at this point. Regular miner has his 2 CPUs, now botnet miner likely has tens or hundreds of thousands. Really good bot herders can even break the 1M bots mark. You can see that even if we consider the number of bots the botner miner has as half of the total - to account for shut down PCs, loss of bots, internet connection issues on the bots, etc.- and even to tip it more in the home user's favor, let's say he has 2 of the latest i7 Extreme Editions, or hell, even high end Xeons. Even if those bots are all rocking low-end Pentiums and Semprons, the botnet miner will kill the average users by a LARGE margin.

You misunderstand stand the point of egalitarian mining. Yes, someone with more CPUs will mine more than someone with fewer CPUs. That is obvious. But as long as it stays linear the return on investment is mostly constant, in fact the PC user has an advantage that is very similar to a botnet owner: his PC is already paid for, he didn't buy it for mining, so his capital cost of mining is essentially zero.

You can't expect to be miner extraordinaire with a PC but with linear scaling, you get your share. You can get a few coins out of it every now and then, maybe make a little bit over the cost of electricity (which only costs around 30c/day). At this scale its a hobby or even less. But there is at this point no reason to turn off the wallet miner, you might as well accept the free coins.

It is only once the relationship becomes non-linear (where buying specific GPUs or worse ASICs means high capital costs but massively higher hash rates than regular PCs) that this sort of casual mining is useless and it does make sense to turn off the wallet miner, and then everything becomes concentrated.

BTW, GPUs are definitely scalable, though not necessarily the way hobbyists do it.. Dga did his nv GPU mining using AWS GPU instances. Hundreds of them I think.

As an aside, this is why ASICs are awful: They are EXTREMELY expensive compared to GPUs, locking out the average person, they entail greater risk, as they cannot be resold if their mining usefulness ends before you thought it would, and they are plug and play, so you can hire unskilled labor to keep them running - and you'll need less labor, because they are far more stable.

Yes, that's right. ASICs are at one extreme, CPUs are at the other.  GPUs are somewhere in between. If CPU mining manages to survive on this coin we will get something that is pretty much the opposite of what ASICs did.  We'll see if that happens.
Merit: 500

smooth, NoodleDoodle just said on IRC his latest optimizations are 4x faster on Windows. Untested on Linux so far but he'll push the source to the git repo soon.

We'll be at 1 million network hashrate pretty soon. Tongue
I do have to question some peoples thought process when they claim that a GPU coin is much much fairer than a CPU coin. Do they not think that there are huge GPU farms that rape the GPU coins as well. The main combatant is pools which allow the big farms to solo mine and then everyone else to mine on pools.  

Come on, think about why that reasoning is faulty for a minute. No, I'm serious. Think about it before you read the rest of this post.

Let's say, for the purposes of this discussion, that most regular people have 2 CPUs working for them. Maybe they're high end, maybe low end, but let's just look at the number of CPUs at this point. Regular miner has his 2 CPUs, now botnet miner likely has tens or hundreds of thousands. Really good bot herders can even break the 1M bots mark. You can see that even if we consider the number of bots the botner miner has as half of the total - to account for shut down PCs, loss of bots, internet connection issues on the bots, etc.- and even to tip it more in the home user's favor, let's say he has 2 of the latest i7 Extreme Editions, or hell, even high end Xeons. Even if those bots are all rocking low-end Pentiums and Semprons, the botnet miner will kill the average users by a LARGE margin.

Now, why won't this happen with GPUs? Well, for starters, botnet mining on GPUs is not advisable. Very few bots will have decent GPUs, even fewer will have high-end ones, and the user will likely notice the fan going at 100% if he's just in the room. So even if you disable it when he's on the system, his chances of noticing something is amiss are too damned high. Okay, but what about rich GPU farmers? Well, GPUs cost a lot. Not per unit, but to maintain. The more of them you have, you start having big problems. Insane, ungodly amounts of heat. Ridiculous power bills. And then you need someone who is very skilled with computers - and mining, too - to maintain the farm, because God knows GPUs that are left overclocked and running at 100% for weeks/months at a time are not stable. In short, GPUs do not scale well. A few are easy to manage, try too many, and it will cost you a fortune.

As an aside, this is why ASICs are awful: They are EXTREMELY expensive compared to GPUs, locking out the average person, they entail greater risk, as they cannot be resold if their mining usefulness ends before you thought it would, and they are plug and play, so you can hire unskilled labor to keep them running - and you'll need less labor, because they are far more stable.

Again good points I can't really refute many of them as at the end of the day they are just guess work. Particularly in regards to the hardware that they are running and the size of the botnets.

Think about why some of that reasoning is faulty as well though.

I think the most important thing to constantly remember is your talking about bot admins with 1000's or 10,000's of bots. There are hundreds of things more profitable with a bot net near that size than mining monero Wink

Look at how much coin you could feasibly have sold, there is no serious liquidity in the market. Or are you suggesting that a bot admin would hold random crypto hoping it goes up when he could use is 1m bots to make some real money?
Jump to: