Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 589. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Sorry folks. I know I shouldn't feed the trolls. The blatant falseness of it got to me.

Sig spammer. Look at post history, a long period of inactivity followed by a bunch of trite comments presumably around the time he registered in his latest signature campaign, then one of newest comments about getting paid for signature campaign.
Activity: 850
Merit: 1000
For a long time,there has been no furture development for XMR.
What is it with you FUDers? You obviously hadn't performed any research at all before you posted your comment. Even on this page there are links to dev meeting logs that took place this week, not to mention the previous pages which also have plenty of progress updates. And anyone can check the github commits https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero to see the progress. At the time of this posting, the last commit was 4 days ago. Your comment is completely and totally baseless.

Sorry folks. I know I shouldn't feed the trolls. The blatant falseness of it got to me.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
For a long time,there has been no furture development for XMR.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
The command is being appended to your first one without a closing quotation, it looks like.

For example, here i am adding the bitmonero alias and I forgot the end quote:

Code:
$ alias bitmonero='cd ~/bitmonero/build/release/bin...
>' <== just need to add the closing quote

This is just adding the alias so that you can enter bitmonero or 'moneronode' in your case to run the command in the future.

You could also open up ~/.bashrc in a text editor and edit the command that way.
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
I'm trying to follow this, and when I'm trying to add the rule to get torsocks to work I get this:

Code:
floam412@floam412-ASUS:~$ sudo iptables -I OUTPUT 2 -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 -m tcp --dport 18081 -j ACCEPT
[sudo] password for floam412:
iptables: Index of insertion too big.

Also, when I try the command anyways to use tor I just get a ">" below the command with no text... I'm just assuming that it's not connecting, but just wanted to make sure.

try instead sudo iptables -I OUTPUT 1 instead of 2

also

> below the command with no text sounds like you have an unclosed quote in the command somewhere...is it possible?

So I tried that and after I entered my password it just went back to the start without saying anything... Idk what that is supposed to mean.

But I went ahead and tried the command again and I added the extra quotation mark at the end and it gave me this:

Code:
floam412@floam412-ASUS:~$ alias moneronode='DNS_PUBLIC=tcp TORSOCKS_ALLOW_INBOUND=1 rlwrap -f ~/.bitmonero/monerocommands_simplewallet.txt /opt/bitmonero/bitmonerod --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1 --data-dir /home/floam412/bitmonero/build/release/bin/bitmonerod
> alias moneronode='DNS_PUBLIC=tcp TORSOCKS_ALLOW_INBOUND=1 rlwrap -f ~/.bitmonero/monerocommands_simplewallet.txt /opt/bitmonero/bitmonerod --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1 --data-dir /home/floam412/bitmonero/build/release/bin/bitmonerod’
bash: alias: rlwrap: not found
bash: alias: -f: not found
bash: alias: /home/floam412/.bitmonero/monerocommands_simplewallet.txt: not found
bash: alias: /opt/bitmonero/bitmonerod: not found
bash: alias: --p2p-bind-ip: not found
bash: alias: 127.0.0.1: not found
bash: alias: --data-dir: not found
bash: alias: /home/floam412/bitmonero/build/release/bin/bitmonerod’: not found

Did I just direct it in the wrong format or something?  Mind you, I used the prebuilt binaries, that's why it's in the weird /bitmonero/build/release/blahblahblah/...
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
I'm trying to follow this, and when I'm trying to add the rule to get torsocks to work I get this:

Code:
floam412@floam412-ASUS:~$ sudo iptables -I OUTPUT 2 -p tcp -d 127.0.0.1 -m tcp --dport 18081 -j ACCEPT

Also, when I try the command anyways to use tor I just get a ">" below the command with no text... I'm just assuming that it's not connecting, but just wanted to make sure.

try instead sudo iptables -I OUTPUT 1 instead of 2

also

> below the command with no text sounds like you have an unclosed quote in the command somewhere...is it possible?
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend

Code:

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
legendary
Eigth dev meeting in approximately 40 minutes (16:00 UTC). Dev meeting will be held at #monero-dev on freenode.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20160605T16&p1=0&p2=56&p3=37&p4=102&p5=240&p6=136&p7=179&p8=137&p9=70&p10=28

Kovri (I2P) dev meeting in approximately 90 minutes (17:00 UTC). Dev meeting can be followed at #monero-dev on freenode.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20160605T17&p1=0&p2=56&p3=37&p4=102&p5=240&p6=136&p7=179&p8=137&p9=70&p10=28
legendary
Crosspost:

Physical silver monero sets I've made.

MAIN POST
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15085484

AUCTION #1
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15085487

AUCTION #2
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15085488

I speculate Monero will go up and over the $1 mark valuation ....AGAIN.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
It's overvalued crap and a pre-mine scam. It's as valuable as XRP, namely zero.

But Ripple had a market cap of $850 million. The markets can't be wrong, right?

FWIW, I'm not really as negative about Ethereum as many people, but the annoying Eth supporters who show up convinced their coin is going to "take BTC crown" are at least as annoying as the Ripple supporters were back then. The story, by the way, is much the same. Corporate support that Bitcoin will never have, etc., etc.

Markets may be wrong longer than you remain solvent and only tend towards (or at best oscillate around) rational state space given sufficient time.

That's because perfect markets only exist in theory, whereas the real world is constrained by lossy compression artifacts due to reification/communication byproducts of misinformation.

Like BTC, I see ETH as an excellent complement to XMR.

Since ETH won't provide privacy/unlinkability/untraceability at the protocol level, there is a perfect fit role for XMR as the anonymous on/off ramp into and out of ETH smart contracts.

In the syllogism BTC:XMR::salt:pepper, ETH is sweet, irreplaceable Sriracha.   Cool

Well said. Yeah pre-mine coin market caps are all untrustworthy to the point of reliability.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

FWIW, I'm not really as negative about Ethereum as many people, but the annoying Eth supporters who show up convinced their coin is going to "take BTC crown" are at least as annoying as the Ripple supporters were back then. The story, by the way, is much the same. Corporate support that Bitcoin will never have, etc., etc.

Markets may be wrong longer than you remain solvent and only tend towards (or at best oscillate around) rational state space given sufficient time.

That's because perfect markets only exist in theory, whereas the real world is constrained by lossy compression artifacts due to reification/communication byproducts of misinformation.

Like BTC, I see ETH as an excellent complement to XMR.

Since ETH won't provide privacy/unlinkability/untraceability at the protocol level, there is a perfect fit role for XMR as the anonymous on/off ramp into and out of ETH smart contracts.

In the syllogism BTC:XMR::salt:pepper, ETH is sweet, irreplaceable Sriracha.   Cool
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Activity: 71
Merit: 10
IMO, Monero and Eth are completely different. There is nothing identical to match and compare these two coins. Let both coins live on their own strategies.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
@DeBryne

I really like Monero and all the possibilities it brings with it and I own enough of it.

What I do not like to be honest is some growing FUD against Ethereum. I have read a german blog lastly, about a meeting in Germany, where Fluffypony has also been speaking, and the autor concluded how he liked the idea of XMR but disliked the negative attitude and speech towards competitors. I have stated this one time and do it again, although it might be disliked: The Monero community should concentrate more on own achievements and less on others. Only losers complain about the competitors, while they go far ahead.

To cite from your quote:  "It MUST be useful to end users in some way, and that use should be obvious. "Turing complete", smart contracts, etc. is NOT a use case."

With all respect but this is complete BS. It is not the "Turing complete" and "smart contracts" which an end user would use, but applications built on those functions of the Ethereum network. Ethereum is running away and may take BTC crown faster then some think or at least share it with BTC. Serious companies are supporters of ETH or ETH based projects. Big mass media and financial newsletters write about ETH, a whole ecosystem is growing, while an army of ETH developers thinks how to implement more privacy securing functions into the network.

On the other side we wait for the official GUI wallet and call Ethereum a P&D coin?
Cmon.

What makes you think ETH is a competitor of XMR? It's overvalued crap and a pre-mine scam. It's as valuable as XRP, namely zero.

Please don't ask people to support blatant scams.
legendary
The Monero Stack Exchange commitment phase is at 33% currently and over 100 people have already commited. Have you commited already?

https://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98617/monero
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Thanks to Pieter Wuille, Adam Back and Monero lead developer Riccardo Spagni for information and added feedback.

Nice article, understandable as well for the less technical readers. And a few very important last words:
"It's not clear that everyone agrees Bitcoin should be more private or fungible."

I sincerely hope Confidential Transactions gets implemented in Bitcoin one day, but don't see it happening. Lets lead by example.

Nice catch.  Go Fluffy go!   Cool

"Not clear everyone agrees" is an understatement, given the Blockchain Alliance's commitment to keeping Bitcoin firmly under the thumb of TBTB.

Given the booming cottage industry of Bitcoin blockchain analysis, CT might be relegated/limited to a role of damage control in the (future?) fungibility arms race.

legendary
@DeBryne

I really like Monero and all the possibilities it brings with it and I own enough of it.

What I do not like to be honest is some growing FUD against Ethereum. I have read a german blog lastly, about a meeting in Germany, where Fluffypony has also been speaking, and the autor concluded how he liked the idea of XMR but disliked the negative attitude and speech towards competitors. I have stated this one time and do it again, although it might be disliked: The Monero community should concentrate more on own achievements and less on others. Only losers complain about the competitors, while they go far ahead.

To cite from your quote:  "It MUST be useful to end users in some way, and that use should be obvious. "Turing complete", smart contracts, etc. is NOT a use case."

With all respect but this is complete BS. It is not the "Turing complete" and "smart contracts" which an end user would use, but applications built on those functions of the Ethereum network. Ethereum is running away and may take BTC crown faster then some think or at least share it with BTC. Serious companies are supporters of ETH or ETH based projects. Big mass media and financial newsletters write about ETH, a whole ecosystem is growing, while an army of ETH developers thinks how to implement more privacy securing functions into the network.

On the other side we wait for the official GUI wallet and call Ethereum a P&D coin?
Cmon.

[1] First, regarding bolded, Fluffypony didn't speak in a condescending way towards other altcoins. It is very unfortunate how this was misreported in that German article, but it is far away from what was really said. I actually agree with the rest of that paragraph and it makes sense to say if you have to rely on the article, instead of what was really said. For what it's worth, I think there will be a video online of the presentation soon. You can determine yourself if it was condescending and I am confident you will conclude it wasn't.

[2] First, that wasn't posted by me, but by a reddit user ferretinjapan. This is his own personal opinion and if you want to challenge him on it regarding the Ethereum part you should do so on Reddit. Perhaps I should've made myself more clear to the extent that I agree with the general gist of the post itself, whereas I may disagree with some more specific points of it.
Jump to: