Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 710. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
I beat Dr. Bookmarks to it (aka Debruyne)!

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

A Noether is asking for funding for the ring confidential transaction stuff!!!!

2375 of 3150 XMR funded in 5 hours. Impressive. I can't use my wallet until Monday, but I'll throw a few XMR into the hat if any are still needed (which looks doubtful with this progress).
Q
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

:-(

A bit more detailed reply:

Funding required for implementation of Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) (by Shen Noether aka NobleSir), which will also enable the implementation of ring multi-signature!

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/2450/ring-ct-c-crypto

Shen's comment regarding ring multi-signature:

Yes - there are a couple of ways to go with the multisig - once the MG sigs are there, the method detailed in section 4.4 here https://www.overleaf.com/read/qzgytbyyxvyf is available (probably even without the CT part of, but then you have to be more careful with amounts).

All updates, whitepapers etc. regarding Ring Confidential Transactions (CT) can be found here ->  https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Is it true that on poloniex some guy uses QTL trader on monero?
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
How can i transfer my old wallets into new encrypted wallets?

You need to exit simplewallet, or type "save" in there. It can read both encrypted and unencrypted wallets, but always writes encrypted ones.

legendary
Activity: 1008
Hy Guys,
glad to have the DB support now in the official binaries!!!
I am just wondering in terms of the wallet encryption. I read somewhere that simplewallet in 0.9 encrypts the wallet files. Now i am using wallets from the "old" release 0.8.8.6
How can i transfer my old wallets into new encrypted wallets?

Thanks for your response in advance!
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Confidential Transactions - controversial and difficult in Bitcoin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3zv7rt/confidential_transactions_might_kill_bitcoin/

I often don't find common ground with Luke-Jr, but his thoughts seem pretty much on the money here:

[–]luke-jrLuke Dashjr
I wouldn't worry about it. For better or worse, CT isn't likely to be considered for Bitcoin's main blockchain any time soon. Contrary to recent assertions, it is not softfork-able, and would be controversial to add as a hardfork due to the proof sizes (at least).

TLDR; HODL Monero. It's going to be difficult for Bitcoin to directly integrate privacy features in the near future.

This reminds me of what Luke-Jr said last February, that he "would expect to see ring signatures in Bitcoin within 2-3 years".
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
FFS on "integrate GPU mining with daemon" is another option; the discussion there would likely flush out any potential duplication.

"FFS?"

Forum Funding System?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I like to mine with wallet.
1) Run the daemon (bitmonerod) and wait it to fully sync.
2) Run the wallet with --trusted-daemon:
Code:
simplewallet --wallet wallet.bin --trusted-daemon
3) In simplewallet enter:
Code:
start_mining 2
*The number (2) is for number of threads. In general for best results you should use CPU_Cache/2MB for the number, so if your CPU cash is 6MB use 3 and if it's 8MB use 4.
*You'll get better hash rate if you enable huge pages in your OS and restart.
*You could exit the wallet after you started mining (mining is in the daemon). In the daemon type show_hr to see the hash rate or hide_hr to hide it.

Where on the roadmap is OCL mining integration?  Is that part of the SmartMining wallet?

Nodes should be able to use the GPU without all the fuss of setting up a local pool front-end.

Doesn't it makes sense to put all the great AMD/nvidia code we paid Wolf0 to write in the standard distribution?

Good pull requests are always accepted Smiley

A pull request isn't "good" if it conflicts with the roadmap and risks/entails later duplication of effort.   Wink

Is the IntelliHashing SmartWallet intended to be CPU only or not?   Huh

How close or far is Wolf0's OCL project from being ready for solo mining?

Since the pool code is done, would it make sense to include that as a (kludgey) middleware layer to enable solo GPU mining out-of-the-box?

Nobody is working on it afaik so there is no duplication of effort. FFS on "integrate GPU mining with daemon" is another option; the discussion there would likely flush out any potential duplication.

There is no official policy on smartmining being CPU only. It just depends what code there is.
legendary
Code:
Code:
start_mining 2
*The number (2) is for number of threads. In general for best results you should use CPU_Cache/2MB for the number, so if your CPU cash is 6MB use 3 and if it's 8MB use 4.
*You could exit the wallet after you started mining (mining is in the daemon). In the daemon type show_hr to see the hash rate or hide_hr to hide it.

Where on the roadmap is OCL mining integration?  Is that part of the SmartMining wallet?

Nodes should be able to use the GPU without all the fuss of setting up a local pool front-end.

Doesn't it makes sense to put all the great AMD/nvidia code we paid Wolf0 to write in the standard distribution?

A pull request isn't "good" if it conflicts with the roadmap and risks/entails later duplication of effort.   Wink

Is the IntelliHashing SmartWallet intended to be CPU only or not?   Huh

How close or far is Wolf0's OCL project from being ready for solo mining?

Since the pool code is done, would it make sense to include that as a (kludgey) middleware layer to enable solo GPU mining out-of-the-box?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Code:
Code:
start_mining 2

Where on the roadmap is OCL mining integration?  Is that part of the SmartMining wallet?

BTW, if I'm not mistaken BBR has some degree of GPU mining support in the standard daemon so it isn't unprecedented at all.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Code:
Code:
start_mining 2

Be careful - don't en-furry-ate Wolf0
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Code:
Code:
start_mining 2

I agree, but Wolf0 has yet to fully tackle the solo mining component, and funding seems to have dried up for that effort because the optimize funds got fux0rd
legendary
Code:
Code:
start_mining 2

Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
Code:
Code:
start_mining 2
legendary
Activity: 1442
Confidential Transactions - controversial and difficult in Bitcoin:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3zv7rt/confidential_transactions_might_kill_bitcoin/

I often don't find common ground with Luke-Jr, but his thoughts seem pretty much on the money here:

[–]luke-jrLuke Dashjr
I wouldn't worry about it. For better or worse, CT isn't likely to be considered for Bitcoin's main blockchain any time soon. Contrary to recent assertions, it is not softfork-able, and would be controversial to add as a hardfork due to the proof sizes (at least).

TLDR; HODL Monero. It's going to be difficult for Bitcoin to directly integrate privacy features in the near future.
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
Activity: 168
Merit: 101
Physical Monero coins
luigi11111 pointed out that the recent update to the wallet generator to use custom entropy was broken in the way it got entropy from the user seed. A fix is now up on github. Since this had to be changed anyway, 10k iterations of Keccak are used to derive the seed from the user entropy, as suggested by smooth earlier.

Unfortunately, this means that the same string will yield a different seed, and therefore address, than the previous version. So if you did generate an address using custom entropy in the last few days, you should recreate it.

Thanks luigi1111.

This is a dangerous issue. Thank you for finding and correcting it so quickly.

Thanks luigi1111. Thanks MoneroMooo!
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
luigi11111 pointed out that the recent update to the wallet generator to use custom entropy was broken in the way it got entropy from the user seed. A fix is now up on github. Since this had to be changed anyway, 10k iterations of Keccak are used to derive the seed from the user entropy, as suggested by smooth earlier.

Unfortunately, this means that the same string will yield a different seed, and therefore address, than the previous version. So if you did generate an address using custom entropy in the last few days, you should recreate it.

Thanks luigi1111.

This is a dangerous issue. Thank you for finding and correcting it so quickly.

To be clear, this only applies to the custom entropy that was added last week. If you just use the normal entropy, you don't have to worry about anything.
Jump to: