Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 711. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250
luigi11111 pointed out that the recent update to the wallet generator to use custom entropy was broken in the way it got entropy from the user seed. A fix is now up on github. Since this had to be changed anyway, 10k iterations of Keccak are used to derive the seed from the user entropy, as suggested by smooth earlier.

Unfortunately, this means that the same string will yield a different seed, and therefore address, than the previous version. So if you did generate an address using custom entropy in the last few days, you should recreate it.

Thanks luigi1111.

This is a dangerous issue. Thank you for finding and correcting it so quickly.
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
luigi11111 pointed out that the recent update to the wallet generator to use custom entropy was broken in the way it got entropy from the user seed. A fix is now up on github. Since this had to be changed anyway, 10k iterations of Keccak are used to derive the seed from the user entropy, as suggested by smooth earlier.

Unfortunately, this means that the same string will yield a different seed, and therefore address, than the previous version. So if you did generate an address using custom entropy in the last few days, you should recreate it.

Thanks luigi1111.

Activity: 122
Merit: 100
Another update from ShenNoether (NobleSir) regarding Confidential Transactions (CT) for Monero:

edit 12/15/2015: I'm starting to play around with some c/c++ stuff that will help me implement this thing for real - I'll probably take a couple weeks off for xmas holidays though starting next week, so expect no updates dec 17-jan 4

All updates & links are in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/

Another one:

edit 12/17/2015: I have updated the draft on eprint.iacr.org in response to some knock-off versions of this math showing up without citation.

Link: http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1098

And another update:

Section 4.4 can be found here -> https://www.overleaf.com/read/qzgytbyyxvyf

Interesting comment from Shen about multisig

yep - very likely will be implemented in conjunction with the ring ct stuff

Following the "written up" link in the Ring CT post, section 4.4 of the paper describes how to implement "Ring multisignature". Some of the other CryptoNote coins have multisig, but only with 0 mixin.

Very nice work being done on the crypto front.

So soon™ I guess? :-P

Ring CT and Ring multisig will elevate the profile of Monero to the point where it can no longer be ignored. The longer we move forward while bitcoin argues about block size the more bitcoin maximalists that will convert to Moneroism.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Hey guys,

is there a wallet available which offers a graphical UI like the Bitcoin Wallets?

I think the best maintained one at the moment is lightWallet: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lightwallet-a-lightweight-account-manager-for-monero-903579

Alternately the MyMonero web wallet, with the usual caveats about web wallets (though this particular one at least does not by design send your private keys to the server): https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lightwallet-a-lightweight-account-manager-for-monero-903579

Also, Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionicframework.monerowallet116498&hl=en

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Another update from ShenNoether (NobleSir) regarding Confidential Transactions (CT) for Monero:

edit 12/15/2015: I'm starting to play around with some c/c++ stuff that will help me implement this thing for real - I'll probably take a couple weeks off for xmas holidays though starting next week, so expect no updates dec 17-jan 4

All updates & links are in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/

Another one:

edit 12/17/2015: I have updated the draft on eprint.iacr.org in response to some knock-off versions of this math showing up without citation.

Link: http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1098

And another update:

Section 4.4 can be found here -> https://www.overleaf.com/read/qzgytbyyxvyf

Interesting comment from Shen about multisig

yep - very likely will be implemented in conjunction with the ring ct stuff

Following the "written up" link in the Ring CT post, section 4.4 of the paper describes how to implement "Ring multisignature". Some of the other CryptoNote coins have multisig, but only with 0 mixin.

Very nice work being done on the crypto front.

So soon™ I guess? :-P
Activity: 247
Merit: 250
is there a wallet available which offers a graphical UI like the Bitcoin Wallets?

See https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose for current options. There is no 'official' wallet yet. Alternatively, you could use https://mymonero.com, or run a node locally with simplewallet (command line).
Activity: 722
Merit: 500
I see. I mine on Minergate on few PCs at my reach because of convenient software and do merged mining of either MCN or FCN which I dump  for XMR when collected enough minimum Smiley

You and everyone else. That's exactly why they aren't worth anything.

Hope they include new AMD GPU miner into their shiny app as they did with Nvidia.

Most likely I would guess.

I sure hope not. I'm not going to make accusations without hard evidence, but I am going to say, I *really* don't like that pool.

Their hash calculator told me I would earn the princely sum of $25 pa.  Shocked
Activity: 1308
Merit: 508
Hey guys,

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1101
karbo.io
Subjectively payout there seems to be a bit bigger than on others that I tried so I sticked with it.
legendary
I see. I mine on Minergate on few PCs at my reach because of convenient software and do merged mining of either MCN or FCN which I dump  for XMR when collected enough minimum Smiley

You and everyone else. That's exactly why they aren't worth anything.

Hope they include new AMD GPU miner into their shiny app as they did with Nvidia.

Most likely I would guess.
legendary
karbo.io

legendary
How about merged mining for Monero and Aeon? Smiley  Glad they also are funding miner, not only Monero community.

They are separate algorithms and independent chains.

There are a few coins you can merge mine with XMR theoretically but I don't know how much support for that there is any more since those coins have negligible value.
legendary
karbo.io
How about merged mining for Monero and Aeon? Smiley  Glad they also are funding miner, not only Monero community.

Sent few coins. I'm just started mining so don't have much.
legendary
Can someone explain how to decrypt the .keys file?

Specifically, the load_keys function within the wallet2.cpp in the source. Can explain the logic behind it and the procedure. (Not that fluent in C)

void wallet2::load_keys(const std::string& keys_file_name, const std::string& password)
{
  wallet2::keys_file_data keys_file_data;
  std::string buf;
1 bool r = epee::file_io_utils::load_file_to_string(keys_file_name, buf);
  THROW_WALLET_EXCEPTION_IF(!r, error::file_read_error, keys_file_name);

// Decrypt the contents
2 r = ::serialization::parse_binary(buf, keys_file_data);
  THROW_WALLET_EXCEPTION_IF(!r, error::wallet_internal_error, "internal error: failed to deserialize \"" + keys_file_name + '\"');
  crypto::chacha8_key key;
3 crypto::generate_chacha8_key(password, key);
  std::string account_data;
  account_data.resize(keys_file_data.account_data.size());
4 crypto::chacha8(keys_file_data.account_data.data(), keys_file_data.account_data.size(), key, keys_file_data.iv, &account_data[0]);

I labeled some lines of the code above:

1. Loads the data file into a memory buffer

2. Parses the memory buffer into a data object

3. Derives a chacha8 decryption key from the password (this uses the CryptoNight slow hash for key stretching, which greatly limits the possibility of brute forcing).

4. Decrypts the data using the decryption key

The unlabeled lines in the code are error checking, memory management, etc.

Ok, that clears some things up.

But what do you mean by 2. "Parse the memory buffer into a data object"?
I can read the .keys file in and store it as a string but how do I do the 2nd step of parsing? What type of characters is it stored as?

The keys file consists of a C++ object that is converted to a binary format using the boost serialization framework.

The object in question is defined here:

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/blob/master/src/wallet/wallet2.h#L152

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
Can someone explain how to decrypt the .keys file?

Specifically, the load_keys function within the wallet2.cpp in the source. Can explain the logic behind it and the procedure. (Not that fluent in C)

void wallet2::load_keys(const std::string& keys_file_name, const std::string& password)
{
  wallet2::keys_file_data keys_file_data;
  std::string buf;
1 bool r = epee::file_io_utils::load_file_to_string(keys_file_name, buf);
  THROW_WALLET_EXCEPTION_IF(!r, error::file_read_error, keys_file_name);

// Decrypt the contents
2 r = ::serialization::parse_binary(buf, keys_file_data);
  THROW_WALLET_EXCEPTION_IF(!r, error::wallet_internal_error, "internal error: failed to deserialize \"" + keys_file_name + '\"');
  crypto::chacha8_key key;
3 crypto::generate_chacha8_key(password, key);
  std::string account_data;
  account_data.resize(keys_file_data.account_data.size());
4 crypto::chacha8(keys_file_data.account_data.data(), keys_file_data.account_data.size(), key, keys_file_data.iv, &account_data[0]);

I labeled some lines of the code above:

1. Loads the data file into a memory buffer

2. Parses the memory buffer into a data object

3. Derives a chacha8 decryption key from the password (this uses the CryptoNight slow hash for key stretching, which greatly limits the possibility of brute forcing).

4. Decrypts the data using the decryption key

The unlabeled lines in the code are error checking, memory management, etc.

Ok, that clears some things up.

But what do you mean by 2. "Parse the memory buffer into a data object"?
I can read the .keys file in and store it as a string but how do I do the 2nd step of parsing? What type of characters is it stored as?
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Have any of the exchanges updated to 0.9?
Activity: 50
Merit: 5
Is the daemon supposed to pass blocks synced during a session out of memory?

The blockchain is stored on disk first and foremost.

Your OS might or might not also keep some portion of it in memory as a form of caching, depending on the amount of other memory usage on your computer.

The synced blocks during my sessions have been appearing in memory and grow until my memory is maxed out. These are cleared only when I exit the daemon.

The blockchain itself is being saved to disk, but my ram usage grows with each reported synced block. I am syncing from nothing. My programs hang as the memory becomes maxed out.

Is this a bug?

That does not sounds like you are using the current version.

I'll try resyncing from scratch again, as I'm almost caught up.

The version I am using is the HH release from github yesterday, windows.

It put 1.59 GB from my most recent session into memory over one hour. Note this is not what It starts up with, which is around 200 Mb. Just figured I'd ask, because I remembered you posting that it only took up a few hundred mb as well. In total it took 1.79 Gb before I restarted it.

TY smooth.

As I said it will use what you have. If no other programs are using the memory, then your OS will give it more (especially during sync). If other programs need RAM, the memory usage for the node will shrink down to almost nothing (especially once synced).

However, you shouldn't see anything hang. That was what I thought pointed to a problem.

I can't rule out that there is something else wrong with the OS currently.

Give me a few hours, I'll have a duplicate fresh OS installation on this HW and get back to you.

Turns out root cause was a power supply surging problem. Luckily it's still in warranty Smiley

Thanks again!
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Very nice, needs button to switch to XMR and whatever other currency you will accept.

There is a "switch" under the the currency icons. And there is a choice at checkout. But i get that it needs to be shown more clearly Smiley
As i said there is much work to be done yet!

Great! I don't have my reading glasses with me, checking it out now. Smiley

Also if you have any solid gold hunter cases in the 16-18s range pm prices. Inners unnecessary.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org

Very nice, needs button to switch to XMR and whatever other currency you will accept.

There is a "switch" under the the currency icons. And there is a choice at checkout. But i get that it needs to be shown more clearly Smiley
As i said there is much work to be done yet!
Jump to: