Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 725. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
That's right, you can safely delete blockchain.bin.

As for the size of the LMDB database, some things are stored more than once, for speed, but some stuff is also wasted, so there is some scope to shrink it a bit. There's other stuff that needs changing in there, so I'm not saying it'll be smaller when all is said and done, but... maybe Smiley

The database also uses sparse files. Here, for instance, the logical size of data.mdb is 14 GB, but the actual data is 8 GB. There are "holes" in the file (0 filled preallocated data) that some filesystems use for other stuff, but some don't. I'm not sure whether Windows' filesystem does things cleverly or dumbly there.

Compressing the .bitmonero directory on Ubuntu GNU/Linux with 7z produces a compressed size of 4.5 GB. The uncompressed size is 14.1 GB. The Windows file system is likely applying some compression on the fly to get the file size down from 14 GB to 8 GB. I am using bitmonero v0.8.8.7-9292c1e.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Give up guys, this coin is dead!

Only 9 pull requests merged today Wink
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
If it is windows then dumbly for sure. lol.  Thanks a lot guys.
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
Well according to multiple explorers I am all synced up and even a block ahead of some, hehe.  So it seems that I do not need the deprecated blockchain.bin any longer with newer versions of the core correct? That will save some space for sure. I guess then you all have another node now up and running.

That's right, you can safely delete blockchain.bin.

As for the size of the LMDB database, some things are stored more than once, for speed, but some stuff is also wasted, so there is some scope to shrink it a bit. There's other stuff that needs changing in there, so I'm not saying it'll be smaller when all is said and done, but... maybe Smiley

The database also uses sparse files. Here, for instance, the logical size of data.mdb is 14 GB, but the actual data is 8 GB. There are "holes" in the file (0 filled preallocated data) that some filesystems use for other stuff, but some don't. I'm not sure whether Windows' filesystem does things cleverly or dumbly there.

legendary
Well according to multiple explorers I am all synced up and even a block ahead of some, hehe.  So it seems that I do not need the deprecated blockchain.bin any longer with newer versions of the core correct? That will save some space for sure. I guess then you all have another node now up and running.

Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Any monero devs like to comment on this article?  Come on, show us how this is totally wrong.  Make sure to use facts.  Uhh ohh....

What NSA created Cryptonote for:

https://criticl.me/post/what-nsa-created-cryptonote-2292

That is an old article that contains no proof for those allegations. No further comment is necessary. Old news
Right, and your "supporters" need to pay for the security review by an expert right?  You can't even comment that the article shows that you are liars.  After all being able to find people's private keys is oh so secure. And you are calling Snowden a liar?  You are a liar.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
Any monero devs like to comment on this article?  Come on, show us how this is totally wrong.  Make sure to use facts.  Uhh ohh....

That is an old article that contains no proof for those allegations. No further comment is necessary. Old news
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
If you mean the third party GUIs, that is correct. I think the developers of them will merge LMDB when it is officially released.

LMDB should make development and usability much better for all new features not limited to the GUI.

The amount of work done over the past year has been tremendous. The groundwork performed to date will make things much easier in the future.
Any monero devs like to comment on this article?  Come on, show us how this is totally wrong.  Make sure to use facts.  Uhh ohh....

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
So I have fully synchronized with the monero blockchain on 0.9 beta windows.  These are inconsistencies I have noticed:

1) The private working set of memory is now manageable and small, unfortunately the whole working set is the same as in previous versions of bitmonerod. Around 8Gb and machine is struggling.

2) I now have a blockchain.bin of around 4.8Gb but also a Db file of another 10Gb which is unacceptable in storage terms.

3) The beta does not work with any of the gui versions but that is to be expected and I assume rectified shortly in development.

The speed of the sync was actually quite faster that I expected and there is good connectivity of nodes which is good as well.

Has anyone else running the beta code noticed issues similarly?

I'm not running the windows beta, but in response to #2, that sounds about right: the blockchain is ~14 Gb on my computer.

On a fully synced windows host I get:

File: C:\ProgramData\bitmonero\lmdb\data.mdb
Size: 10.0 GB (10,737,418,240 bytes)
legendary
Activity: 1105
So I have fully synchronized with the monero blockchain on 0.9 beta windows.  These are inconsistencies I have noticed:

1) The private working set of memory is now manageable and small, unfortunately the whole working set is the same as in previous versions of bitmonerod. Around 8Gb and machine is struggling.

2) I now have a blockchain.bin of around 4.8Gb but also a Db file of another 10Gb which is unacceptable in storage terms.

3) The beta does not work with any of the gui versions but that is to be expected and I assume rectified shortly in development.

The speed of the sync was actually quite faster that I expected and there is good connectivity of nodes which is good as well.

[1] Are you sure it isn't still syncing? Check the blockheight at the daemon and compare that with the blockheight on https://moneroblocks.eu. I think the green line in bitmonerod (stating something like, you are now fully synced and are able to use simplewallet) already appears somewhat before you are fully synced. LMDB only takes what it can take (during syncing). If much of your RAM is already allocated, LMDB won't take it while syncing. In other words, it won't get stuck like for instance the old binaries. After syncing it only takes <100 MB.

[2] That seems to be correct, the RAW file is around 2.3 GB. The size reported by you is the database representation used by the daemon. In my opinion, 14 GB isn't that much if you have a decent PC with a decent HDD/SSD. Currently, most of them have plenty of GBs and 14 GB is relatively small compared to that.

[3] If you mean the third party GUIs, that is correct. I think the developers of them will merge LMDB when it is officially released.

Well blockchain.bin is the old one and isn't needed. The DB is ~10GB on Windows currently. Note that a lot of data is duplicated right now, and there is room for more clever optimizations in the future.

LMDB will indeed take memory if it's available, not just during syncing. My working set for example is ~4.5GB right now, but only ~52MB of that is private. The rest is ready to be given to other processes if they need it.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

[1] Are you sure it isn't still syncing? Check the blockheight at the daemon and compare that with the blockheight on https://moneroblocks.eu. I think the green line in bitmonerod (stating something like, you are now fully synced and are able to use simplewallet) already appears somewhat before you are fully synced. LMDB only takes what it can take (during syncing). If much of your RAM is already allocated, LMDB won't take it while syncing. In other words, it won't get stuck like for instance the old binaries. After syncing it only takes <100 MB.

[2] That seems to be correct, the RAW file is around 2.3 GB. The size reported by you is the database representation used by the daemon. In my opinion, 14 GB isn't that much if you have a decent PC with a decent HDD/SSD. Currently, most of them have plenty of GBs and 14 GB is relatively small compared to that.

[3] If you mean the third party GUIs, that is correct. I think the developers of them will merge LMDB when it is officially released.
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

I'm not running the windows beta, but in response to #2, that sounds about right: the blockchain is ~14 Gb on my computer.
Monero Specifications

•PoW algorithm: CryptoNight [1]
•Max supply: Infinite (see note below) [2]
•Block reward: Smoothly varying [3]

Finally fixed the max supply.  Nice stealth update! So now the coin has infinite amounts!  LOL

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND LOL!
legendary

Is anyone taking this trolling seriously?

Neigh.
Where is your defender of the realm, icegayblaster?  Is he hiding because he knows he will have his ass handed to him by yours truly?  #MONEROISGAY

Hey guys, here is my plan.  I plan to make you look like the liars you are and hopefully soon your coin will be completely dead.  Do you think I can cost you at least half of your coin's value be the end of January?  I mean, that's only 5 million.  Have a nice day.
Is anyone taking this trolling seriously?

Neigh.
Where is your defender of the realm, icegayblaster?  Is he hiding because he knows he will have his ass handed to him by yours truly?  #MONEROISGAY

Today is December 21, 2015. Could we compare our way, passed and to be passed, with roadmap declared by core devs on January 5th, 2015?

I call moderators don't feed trolls and to remove spam from the thread. I apologize if my original post has triggered their stupid attack.

Returning to the my initial question, can devs say, what is simply done from the wishes they had positioned on January 5th, 2015? And what is the future roadmap?

You didn't do anything except point out what a useless bunch of commie devs you have.  Did they eat too many Cheetos instead of having a good security model with no back doors and a gui?  The world will never know.
There it is folks, if you want to know if this coin is secure, go ahead and pony up the money.

https://i.imgur.com/RsUwz6c.png

https://i.imgur.com/XTZylY9.png

https://i.imgur.com/48bXVZd.png

Quit horsin' around.

How about you audit your code you bald faced liar.  And what about the gui?
Jump to: