Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 729. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Our Devs are legendary. I have total faith in their abilities and the sheer intellect of our core team, and even many of our long time members give me the assurance that Monero is -the- digital cash of the future.  Tongue

Legendary Devs confirmed.

RING CONFIDENTIAL TRANSACTIONS
https://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1098.pdf

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3xkuuq/ring_signature_confidential_transactions_for/
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
Ok, wondering if someone can help.

I'm opening simplewallet and creating a new wallet and doing so by using a sendkey(i.e. sendkeyboard) to the process via another program, but when the wallet is created, the .keys file does not show up in the folder.
If I try to run it again, using the same process, I don't generate another wallet but open an existing one, but I still can't see it.

Now, if I manually open simplewallet and enter a wallet with the same name as before, I can create a new wallet and I CAN see the files.

But if I delete this wallet file (which includes .keys, etc) but I again run the program and use sendkey method on simplewallet, I cannot generate a new wallet. I still get the same invisible wallet as before.

I cannot figure out why I can open an invisible .key file. I can generate a new file of same name manually opening simplewallet and using command line but when I run my program, it's somehow "seeing" that invisible file.

It seems you're trying to programmatically drive simplewallet ?
If so, your description looks very much like simplewallet's working directory is not the one you think it is, and your wallet saved while automated is elsewhere on your computer.
If you're on Linux, /proc/`pidof simplewallet`/cwd is a symlink to the program's current working directory.

Ah, yes, you are right. It's being saved to my debug folder for some reason.
Can you say exactly where? I have an other cryptonote coin and I can't see my .keys file.
Not the Monero .keys file though  Smiley
Activity: 133
Merit: 100

I'm opening simplewallet and creating a new wallet and doing so by using a sendkey(i.e. sendkeyboard) to the process via another program, but when the wallet is created, the .keys file does not show up in the folder.
If I try to run it again, using the same process, I don't generate another wallet but open an existing one, but I still can't see it.

Now, if I manually open simplewallet and enter a wallet with the same name as before, I can create a new wallet and I CAN see the files.

But if I delete this wallet file (which includes .keys, etc) but I again run the program and use sendkey method on simplewallet, I cannot generate a new wallet. I still get the same invisible wallet as before.

I cannot figure out why I can open an invisible .key file. I can generate a new file of same name manually opening simplewallet and using command line but when I run my program, it's somehow "seeing" that invisible file.

If so, your description looks very much like simplewallet's working directory is not the one you think it is, and your wallet saved while automated is elsewhere on your computer.
If you're on Linux, /proc/`pidof simplewallet`/cwd is a symlink to the program's current working directory.

Ah, yes, you are right. It's being saved to my debug folder for some reason.
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

Activity: 994
Merit: 260
I think Monero is in the final stage of accumulation. I see every day the bulls are trying to increase the price. Optimistic predictions  Smiley
Activity: 133

Activity: 186
Monero
Another day and another 3 PRs merged.  Thank you cow and pony Smiley

Another day waiting for the definition of "soon"  Tongue

Our Devs are legendary. I have total faith in their abilities and the sheer intellect of our core team, and even many of our long time members give me the assurance that Monero is -the- digital cash of the future.  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Another day and another 3 PRs merged.  Thank you cow and pony Smiley

Another day waiting for the definition of "soon"  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

2. One small tweak to make running over Tor work better (DNS requests go through Tor rather than being blocked or leaking).

We thought #2 especially would be appreciated in the 0.9 release.

That is a pretty neat feature! Or rather a bug fixed. Are there any other caveats running monero privately?

Not that I'm aware of other than the usual pitfalls of not always doing everything correctly. Script as much as possible and make sure your scripts are robust and correct before you expect to be operating privately. Recheck everything after updates or changes.

Ultimately running on a proxy VM like whonix is probably safer, but using Tor directly is a viable option now.

Activity: 211

2. One small tweak to make running over Tor work better (DNS requests go through Tor rather than being blocked or leaking).

That is a pretty neat feature! Or rather a bug fixed. Are there any other caveats running monero privately?
Getmonero page should add a user guide with detailed instructions and explanation how to use monero anonymously. While waiting for i2p to simplify things, people interested in using monero with such high privacy demands could start and bootstrap the kind of economy, where privacy is crucial.
legendary
2 pull requests from warptangent were just merged.

Daddy are we there yet?

Not sure.  I thought I heard something about a 'code freeze' prior to release?

Its more like thick slush. For the most part the code is frozen now, outside of a last few issues, mostly build-related.

Anyway, the commits from warptangent were:

1. A few for pure cleanup (fixing a typo in a message and replacing tabs with space in the source code).

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

Daddy are we there yet?

Not sure.  I thought I heard something about a 'code freeze' prior to release?

legendary

Daddy are we there yet?
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
A lot may also depend on the size of the HDD. I did not notice an issue syncing with a 2 TB HDD on Trisquel 7. I do suspect this can be an issue with a smaller HDD.

One other thing is that virtualization itself can be very hard on an HDD when both the host OS and the guest OS are on the same drive. If one adds to this a disk intensive application in the VM then I can see this problem developing. My experience with this has been with Windows VMs running on GNU/Linux hosts where I found a significant performance improvement by having the Windows VMs on a different HDD from the ./ GNU/Linux partition. The latter partition had the OS files. When I moved my laptop which had a single drive setup from an HDD to an SSD, I saw see a significant improvement in the Windows VM performance.
legendary
Hi there.

I've built and been running the following on a ubuntu 15.10 VM (12 Mb RAM)  - Win7 Native - with encypted drive, Intel i7-4790k @ 4Ghz - 32GB Ram :

ahh - no svn info equivalent with git - ok - last commit info

Code:
commit 3a4db6346b2b1b4c3e3733d833f338d104f7da95
Merge: 0eb3b66 7f77b23
Author: Riccardo Spagni
Date:   Sun Dec 13 22:17:07 2015 +0200

Merge pull request #533

7f77b23 posix_daemonizer: only create the main daemon object in the last child (moneromooo-monero)

Some feedback - the RAM usage is much better, but the syncing process is hammering my harddrive, to the point where not only the VM becomes unresponsive (10-20 second pauses but VM is still stable), but also any disk access on my native machine significantly slows down applications running there.

Changing limit_up and limit_down values has little effect.

I'm going to have a little peek at the database code tonight to get familiar to see how its working.

Just wanted to give a heads up as I suspect when the next database version is released you may find the complaints switching from RAM usage to HDD usage.

Good points. But when you think about it, given that the database is going to be around 10 GB and it is possible under ideal conditions to sync in a about an hour, that is going to be a lot of disk writing over the course of that hour. There is probably value in a "background sync" mode that deliberately takes longer with a less intense workload. A better implementation of down_limit would probably do the trick. Obviously that can come later after 0.9.

Also, I have to say that an SSD is pretty recommended here. HDD does work, but obviously for any database-type workload with a lot of random access, SSD is just going to work much better.

Thanks for the test report and any further effort put into testing.
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
Hi there.

I've built and been running the following on a ubuntu 15.10 VM (12 Mb RAM)  - Win7 Native - with encypted drive, Intel i7-4790k @ 4Ghz - 32GB Ram :

ahh - no svn info equivalent with git - ok - last commit info

Code:
commit 3a4db6346b2b1b4c3e3733d833f338d104f7da95
Merge: 0eb3b66 7f77b23
Author: Riccardo Spagni
Date:   Sun Dec 13 22:17:07 2015 +0200

Merge pull request #533

7f77b23 posix_daemonizer: only create the main daemon object in the last child (moneromooo-monero)

Some feedback - the RAM usage is much better, but the syncing process is hammering my harddrive, to the point where not only the VM becomes unresponsive (10-20 second pauses but VM is still stable), but also any disk access on my native machine significantly slows down applications running there.

Changing limit_up and limit_down values has little effect.

I'm going to have a little peek at the database code tonight to get familiar to see how its working.

Just wanted to give a heads up as I suspect when the next database version is released you may find the complaints switching from RAM usage to HDD usage.

Cheers

Dave
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
I have working on create Monero tutorials for my website (8xmr.com) based on information have found on getmonero.org, Reddit and elsewhere.

I decided to start working on an openalias tutorial and felt embarrass that I never took time to create alias myself.

So easy! Took me 5 minutes to create my monero alias. Now I have some more marketing ideas for openalias and monero

I am looking forward to hearing more about how you plan to market Monero and OpenAlias!
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Another update from ShenNoether (NobleSir) regarding Confidential Transactions (CT) for Monero:

edit 12/15/2015: I'm starting to play around with some c/c++ stuff that will help me implement this thing for real - I'll probably take a couple weeks off for xmas holidays though starting next week, so expect no updates dec 17-jan 4

All updates & links are in this thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3pw30d/ringct_for_monero_updated_versions/
legendary
Out late tonight and need to be up in 4-5 hrs yet still checking in  Tongue

I see that 6 more pull requests were merged today  Kiss

"Soon"  Grin
Jump to: